Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Eregos posted:

Peon says 'work work' with a lower tone of voice now for no reason.

i thought you were a crazy person for convincing yourself of something weird like this but i checked and it's true. Work Work is played back slower in reforged. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

SirSamVimes posted:

In original War 3, Malfurion had two models. One on foot for RoC, then in TFT he got a stag.

They only made a new model for his stag form.

Not true, he appears off his stag in a few reforged cutscenes.

Another weird thing is, they forgot to increase Malfurion's movement speed to 'fast' in some missions like NE 4 and NE 7, so it actually alternates throughout the campaign. Sometimes it's 'average', in which case I'd put the boots on him so he matched Tyrande's fast, other times it was fast so one got to be 'very fast'.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Eregos posted:

What cutscenes? Please point these out, because it would mean they have recently added a non-stag model for him. At release, there was *literally no model for him without the stag*.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

uniball posted:

i thought you were a crazy person for convincing yourself of something weird like this but i checked and it's true. Work Work is played back slower in reforged. lol

I don't know why but this is absolutely hysterical to me!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

uniball posted:

Didn't bliz say at some point that they would rerecord all voice acting? I wonder if this was some sort of penny pinching effort to meet that goal before they nixed it altogether

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It never ceases to amaze how bad the portraits are. Look at the old peon portrait and how smoothly the talking animation flows when it says work work. Then look at the new peon portrait, they just rigged up some jaw-hinge that moves based on audio.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I gotta admit, after everything, this thread is making me War3-curious to see what a botch job this is.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I gotta admit, after everything, this thread is making me War3-curious to see what a botch job this is.

Just find some YouTube highlights. It’s pretty well documented

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Polio Vax Scene posted:

It never ceases to amaze how bad the portraits are. Look at the old peon portrait and how smoothly the talking animation flows when it says work work. Then look at the new peon portrait, they just rigged up some jaw-hinge that moves based on audio.

I guess having lip sync is kinda cool if you care about that, but the original portrait has so much character and charm. The Reforged version is just a high polygon portfolio piece. Awful.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Did I never notice it before or did Blizzard redo the player colors? Some of them are so close to each other it's practically impossible to tell which players units are which. Purple is especially bad.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

porfiria posted:

I guess having lip sync is kinda cool if you care about that, but the original portrait has so much character and charm. The Reforged version is just a high polygon portfolio piece. Awful.

With the way they were constantly moving their gobs in WC3, it sort of felt like they already were synchronized.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Frustrated posted:

Did I never notice it before or did Blizzard redo the player colors? Some of them are so close to each other it's practically impossible to tell which players units are which. Purple is especially bad.

which purple 🥴

yes, a couple years ago when they increased the player limit from 12 to 24, they added 12 new colors, and with Reforged they enabled them in ladder games. you can see them all here, including their official names

some of the colors are unpleasant or similar, yeah. but if the complaint is regarding competitive play, that’s what the ally color modes are for

this is also a hard problem i think - they didn’t just poo poo the bed on this one completely. 24 distinct team colors! that’s a lot to come up with.

my only serious complaint is that Snow is very close to white (your own units’ color) on the minimap. but again, if i wanted to minmax my solo record i’d just turn on boring rear end ally colors

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, but what human kingdom and orc clan do those 12 new ones correspond to? :colbert:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Cuntellectual posted:

Yeah, but what human kingdom and orc clan do those 12 new ones correspond to? :colbert:
And night elf consortiums and undead associations. :yeah:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Malfurion had three different models over War3's campaigns. His RoC one, then in TFT he got a new cape + his stag. So he had one model riding the stag and one on his foot.

I have no earthly idea how they could have changed his foot speed between his stag and foot models. Even in the normal game he had Fast when he wasn't riding because his hero class did.

War3 basiclly abanadoned any colors associating to nations/clans/whatever so everyone is now Flowerpicker.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

McTimmy posted:

War3 basiclly abanadoned any colors associating to nations/clans/whatever so everyone is now Flowerpicker.

It's a little thing, but it always bothered me in the War3 campaign that the factions you play as had so little variety between the colours. You play as Arthas' retinue, the Scourge, the Horde, the Warsong clan, the Sentinels, the Druids, Illidan's loyalists, the Wardens, Illidan's naga, the Blood Elves and the Forsaken, and they're all just passing the Blue, Red and Purple colours between them.

When you're fighting against the other races there's implied divisions (like the Undead Scourge/Ravagers/Pillagers being green, purple and orange in the human campaign) but you never play them yourself.

I don't know why it bothers me that you don't get to use many different colours for your factions in the campaign, but it really does.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Blizzard has this weird thing where they want the playable faction to always be some form of blue or purple. I think the only reason the Orc campaigns featured red so heavily is because they couldn't get around it because that was literally the Horde's livery.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kith posted:

Blizzard has this weird thing where they want the playable faction to always be some form of blue or purple. I think the only reason the Orc campaigns featured red so heavily is because they couldn't get around it because that was literally the Horde's livery.

I too, miss the days of specific factions being represented by specific colors.

Stromgarde: Red
"Azeroth"/Stormwind: Blue
Kul Tiras: Teal/Green
Dalaran: Purple
Alterac: Orange
Gilneas: Black
Lordaeron: White
(There was no "Yellow" kingdom; Tides of Darkness had yellow orcs and humans labelled as "Horde/Alliance Traitors")

Blackrock Clan & Warsong Clan: Red
Stormreaver Clan & Flowerpicker Clan*: Blue
Bleeding Hollow Clan & Bonechewer Clan: Teal/Green
Twilight's Hammer Clan & Thunderlord Clan: Purple
Burning Blade Clan & Bleeding Hollow Clan**: Orange
Black Tooth Grin Clan & Shadowmoon Clan: Black
Dragonmaw Clan & Shattered Hand Clan: White
Laughing Skull Clan: Yellow

* - The Flowerpicker Clan was hidden in the game files. The BtDP Clans were only used on the post-mission results screen during the actual BtDP Campaign missions, and there is never an instance of a Blue Orc player in those campaigns, so it is not possible to actually see this clan name in-game.
** - The Bleeding Hollow Clan is the only clan in Warcraft 2 to be represented by two different colors, since they are the only clan from Tides of Darkness to retain a presence in Beyond the Dark Portal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BlazetheInferno posted:

I too, miss the days of specific factions being represented by specific colors.

Stromgarde: Red
"Azeroth"/Stormwind: Blue
Kul Tiras: Teal/Green
Dalaran: Purple
Alterac: Orange
Gilneas: Black
Lordaeron: White
(There was no "Yellow" kingdom; Tides of Darkness had yellow orcs and humans labelled as "Horde/Alliance Traitors")

Blackrock Clan & Warsong Clan: Red
Stormreaver Clan & Flowerpicker Clan*: Blue
Bleeding Hollow Clan & Bonechewer Clan: Teal/Green
Twilight's Hammer Clan & Thunderlord Clan: Purple
Burning Blade Clan & Bleeding Hollow Clan**: Orange
Black Tooth Grin Clan & Shadowmoon Clan: Black
Dragonmaw Clan & Shattered Hand Clan: White
Laughing Skull Clan: Yellow

* - The Flowerpicker Clan was hidden in the game files. The BtDP Clans were only used on the post-mission results screen during the actual BtDP Campaign missions, and there is never an instance of a Blue Orc player in those campaigns, so it is not possible to actually see this clan name in-game.
** - The Bleeding Hollow Clan is the only clan in Warcraft 2 to be represented by two different colors, since they are the only clan from Tides of Darkness to retain a presence in Beyond the Dark Portal.

I remember making lots of "lore-friendly" team compositions every time I took the 20 minutes to build a new Warcraft 2 map.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Flowerpicker Clan

jesus christ i remember learning about this when i went screwing around in the map editor and now i feel old

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Reading those names makes me want WarCraft IIs in the style of Frozen Throne. :smith:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
There was precisely one blue orc unit in BTDP campaign and that was Dentrag in Orc 2 who was Rescue Passiev and thus didn't show up on the scoreboard.

Gilnaes never showed up in any campaign map either.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dentarg owned

All of the Warcraft 2 Hero Units owned

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kith posted:

Dentarg owned

OG Grom was awesome. Just screaming about Iron Man.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kith posted:

Dentarg owned

Counterpoint: Zul'jin, who was identical to a regular Axethrower but with 1 more Sight. Gul'dan was weaker than Death Knights in *several* respects. Cho'gall, while starting with spells and having 10 more health, had no armor. Uther and Lothar were straight-up identical to regular Knights.

It wasn't until Beyond the Dark Portal that hero units started getting badass.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Counterpoint: Zul'jin, who was identical to a regular Axethrower but with 1 more Sight. Gul'dan was weaker than Death Knights in *several* respects. Cho'gall, while starting with spells and having 10 more health, had no armor. Uther and Lothar were straight-up identical to regular Knights.

It wasn't until Beyond the Dark Portal that hero units started getting badass.

Counterpoint: custom portraits and fancy unit colors

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It actually irks me a lot that Grom was retconned in Warcraft 3 into not being a metal joke.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Running commentary of weird reforged things, part 2:
According to https://www.archyde.com/after-the-release-we-ourselves-were-disappointed-wc3-reforged-contractors-held-an-ama-session-warcraft-iii/ Lemonsky studios did 70% of the models, interface, icons, animations and landscape, so I direct criticism their way.

General:
I like to build about 6 shops near mission end so I can quickly dump excess gold into 5X potion/scroll stacks.
Even the 'good' textures in reforged always look a bit off. Not made to be viewed far away.
Tomes in crates were removed in several missions.

Sea Witch from the prologue campaign uses the Naga Sea Witch model now, is no longer a banshee. Her Murlocs also use Naga towers, naga connections confirmed!
In the Orc 6 victory cutscene, Jaina just walks away instead of going into the cave! Hilariously, Cairne and Thrall don't react to Jaina calmly walking nearby.
Tauren footsteps are much quieter now, not a thundering horde anymore. Before was maybe too much, now is perhaps too subtle.
Tree of life portrait is ugly.
NE 7 the sound keeps breaking all the time, have to load game.
Naisha's portrait lacks any speaking animations and is surprisingly distracting. She also has an ugly portrait. It was a relief when she died.
Maiev's model looks good but her portrait is so-so.
At the least the Tomb of Sargeras entrance actually looks like an entrance now. But that was a gimme.
They changed NEx 04 so you can't use the exploit Aesis Gaming did to destroy the South Naga base.
The annoying bug where HP bars vanish in the FT NE campaign is still present, requires occasional loading.
In the interlude where Malfurion communes with the spirits, after he leaves the trees don't make sounds as though discussing amongst themselves Furion's promise (like the Ents in LoTR).
NEx 7, Prince Kael'thas's voice is altered, more high pitched annoying than the original.
NEx 8 Illidan's base starts out with 5 murgul slaves on gold instead of 4. The exploit where Furion can pass items like Shadow Orb to Illidan for use in the Human campaign is fortunately unfixed.

Tileset review section:
Not all the tileset trees look bad. Lordaeron summer and fall do.
Ashenvale tileset is very stylistically different, multicolored. I get this might be WoW inspired, but I'm less enamored, would prefer the original style in HD.
Caverns section (NE 6) looks good, I like the new tileset. The 2002 caverns had aged poorly.
Felwood looks bad overall, but the trees are ok.
Tomb of Sargeras better overall after facelift, but has the most embarrassingly bad water of all.
Blight would look livelier if it had the roaving green streamers from classic.
Like Barrens tilset, Outland tileset looks decent. I think Lemonsky is better at doing rugged looking landscapes.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

BlazetheInferno posted:

What cutscenes? Please point these out, because it would mean they have recently added a non-stag model for him. At release, there was *literally no model for him without the stag*.

I looked for it and couldn't find it easily, Thrall has an on foot model used in The Last Guardian cutscene, I might have confused it with that.

Though if you look at https://www.wowhead.com/news=296403/night-elf-models-from-warcraft-iii-reforged-tyrande-malfurion-faerie-dragon There's a picture of Reforged Furion there on foot.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Eregos posted:

Tauren footsteps are much quieter now, not a thundering horde anymore. Before was maybe too much, now is perhaps too subtle.

Don't let your tauren sound like ballet dancers
Let them stomp
With SOUND BLASTER

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Half of Dracula posted:

Don't let your tauren sound like ballet dancers
Let them stomp
With SOUND BLASTER

Your sound card works perfectly!

It doesn't get any better than this. :mad:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I will note, they may not have completely fixed passing Malfurion's items to Illidan, but it looks like an attempt was made; at the very least, it's a whole bunch more difficult and fiddly than it used to be.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Eregos posted:

He does not.

These are the only HD models in the editor that show up when you search for "Furion". As you can see, they are all the same model.

The change is mirrored in the SD version.

Walking Malfurion just isn't in the game anymore, alongside many other models. For example, this guy?

He's been replaced by a Marine for some reason. No more flamethrower orcs for you!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So they deleted non-stag Malfurion forever?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
They still haven't gotten over losing DotA to valve.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pouring one out for Sammycube.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cuntellectual posted:

They still haven't gotten over losing DotA to valve.
They only had half a decade, and all of the internal metrics imaginable, to act on it. They waited a full decade instead to enter the market. With an awful game engine for the genre and charging $10/hero when competitors already released their games 2-5 years ago, charged less, and had better clients.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 13, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

jokes posted:

So they deleted non-stag Malfurion forever?

I don't know if "forever" is accurate, but I can definitely confirm that the model is not in the files and Blizzard has made no statements on re-adding it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kith posted:

He's been replaced by a Marine for some reason. No more flamethrower orcs for you!

Wait, what?
Wasn't there already a marine? Are there two now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, what?
Wasn't there already a marine? Are there two now?

Yes. There's the standard Marine and a "Terran Marine":

Which doesn't actually have a Flamethrower, it uses the same ratatat animation and sound effect as the standard Marine except with a poof of dust as a projectile.

Also, something I just now discovered: you can't test maps offline - you have to be signed in to Warcraft 3 first. However, if you have Warcraft 3 open and you press Test Map in the Editor, it opens another instance of Warcraft 3 to load your map.

That you're not signed in on.

Kith fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 13, 2020