Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Yeap, PC is amongst the best of consoles. I'd put it top 3 at least.
"Pc... There's no experience like it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

goethe.cx posted:

they need to hurry up and start releasing N64 games on it

You'll get your N64 classic and like it.

Seriously though, I have a feeling that N64 stuff will show up on switch 2. Switch 2 will show up once they stop dominating the sales charts. Those rumors of it coming out soon didn't take into account the Nintendo basically owns the market right now. It would be foolish to put out a new iteration.

poo poo, in Japan, the switch has already outsold the PS4. Sales charts are almost entirely switch games. Nintendo is killing it. In 4 years fewer it surpassed the bone. It may even get to 100 million. Who would have thought?

Anyway, I think N64 compatibility/whatever will be a selling point of the switch 2. This is based on my rear end.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm in a bit of a bind when it comes to the Switch.

I like that it's cheap, because I'm cheap. I would never play it on a TV, it would almost exclusively be used as a handheld. So I should get a Switch Lite? But the joycons start drifting, and the joycons don't come off of the Lite at all, so if they get hosed I can't just buy new joycons.

So I either end up paying more for the regular Switch that I'd like less than the Lite, or I get a Lite and be anxious about the sticks forever.

It's a headache, I'll pass for now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm in a bit of a bind when it comes to the Switch.

I like that it's cheap, because I'm cheap. I would never play it on a TV, it would almost exclusively be used as a handheld. So I should get a Switch Lite? But the joycons start drifting, and the joycons don't come off of the Lite at all, so if they get hosed I can't just buy new joycons.

So I either end up paying more for the regular Switch that I'd like less than the Lite, or I get a Lite and be anxious about the sticks forever.

It's a headache, I'll pass for now.

The stick drift problem is such an engineering 101 fuckup, too. They have graphite pads that are in contact with moving metal parts so they wear down and spew electrically conductive dust all through the insides of the stick assembly. It's not the first time Nintendo has had a control stick with softer parts getting rubbed on by harder parts, it's why the N64 stick failed first every time too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My 970 still kills it

Yeah, I'm astonished how well mine handles even brand new stuff at 2k up to the usual diminishing returns thresholds. I was sorta looking at new GPUS the other day but for the time being it doesn't really seem worth it to upgrade.

I love playing 360 era games on it too, I started Dead Space 2 earlier after my second lap of R3MAKE and its averaging 140 fps during gameplay with everything maxed out, looks absolutely stunning for it's age.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NonzeroCircle posted:

Yeah, I'm astonished how well mine handles even brand new stuff at 2k up to the usual diminishing returns thresholds. I was sorta looking at new GPUS the other day but for the time being it doesn't really seem worth it to upgrade.

I love playing 360 era games on it too, I started Dead Space 2 earlier after my second lap of R3MAKE and its averaging 140 fps during gameplay with everything maxed out, looks absolutely stunning for it's age.

I went from a 970 to an rx5700xt which should be a big upgrade; I can't say I've really noticed the difference

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I’m still on my 970. Gets choppy in VR sometimes but you can more or less max most modern games out with it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dads_work_files posted:

Yeap, PC is amongst the best of consoles. I'd put it top 3 at least.
"Pc... There's no experience like it"

the argument was just made on the last page that consoles have finally achieved parity with PCs because the xbone can finally install office

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you have a 970 you can also overclock it to the moon. One of the best video cards in recent memory.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Caesar Saladin posted:

Because an ending is contextualised by the events before it, a story is a series of events told in a certain order on purpose to achieve an effect and it undermines it all if you know the ending before the rest of the story.

Does it though? In Romeo & Juliet you make it to the eighth line before finding out they're both gonna die, and I've been told it's regarded as a pretty good story

My 970 still kills it

I have a GTX 1060 3 GB which was already midrange when it came out and still plays every game I've ever tried to play with it, all on max settings except the most graphically demanding ones. I feel like I'll get a new one if I ever get into VR but otherwise this should last me another 5 years hopefully

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PinheadSlim posted:

From what I'm googling I can't find any of my old favorite PC games on Switch.... Which ones are available?

Or did you misread my post and think I just meant old console games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxtSG-ttTbE

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Playing rear end creed organs now and it's smooth and really pretty but only getting 45 fps: however that's likely my cpu, a old i5 4570,, which is pegging all four cores at 100%.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Playing rear end creed organs now and it's smooth and really pretty but only getting 45 fps: however that's likely my cpu, a old i5 4570,, which is pegging all four cores at 100%.

sounds like it, yeah

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

The length of time older CPU's have been viable for gaming has been insane lately. There were people playing The Division 2 on AMD Phenoms released 10 years ago.

If you have a 970 you can also overclock it to the moon. One of the best video cards in recent memory.

It's up there with the Radeon 9800 Pro for "still viable long, long after release". I think it may have passed it, actually, the 970 is from what, 2012, 2013? (E:2014)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

death stranding update: i switched the difficulty to very easy because absolutely gently caress dealing with BTs. assholes

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Play posted:

Does it though? In Romeo & Juliet you make it to the eighth line before finding out they're both gonna die, and I've been told it's regarded as a pretty good story

Yeah Shakespeare is telling you the story in a very specific order that he chose where he wants you to know the ending first. To use that as an example that all stories should tell you the ending first is really missing the point. its not like he decided that randomly, he did it for a specific effect where you're like "How are these kids gonna get themselves into this mess?"

To say that a story is just a list of events that you can tell in any order and it doesn't matter is completely dumb.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The length of time older CPU's have been viable for gaming has been insane lately. There were people playing The Division 2 on AMD Phenoms released 10 years ago.

It's up there with the Radeon 9800 Pro for "still viable long, long after release". I think it may have passed it, actually, the 970 is from what, 2012, 2013? (E:2014)

we should thank the xbone and the ps4 for this becase they're both shockingly underpowered compared to everyone's last gen i5/i7 pc even at launch

the leaked? specs for the next gen consoles are both highend 8 core AMDs so hopefully this 3800x will last me another 8 years

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah Shakespeare is telling you the story in a very specific order that he chose where he wants you to know the ending first. To use that as an example that all stories should tell you the ending first is really missing the point. its not like he decided that randomly, he did it for a specific effect where you're like "How are these kids gonna get themselves into this mess?"

To say that a story is just a list of events that you can tell in any order and it doesn't matter is completely dumb.

also kind of a weird example since he was mostly just retelling stories that his audience already knew. i dont think anyone walking into julius caesar the first time was surprised when he was betrayed and stabbed to death. romeo and juliet was his version of a popular italian poem that had already been adapted into a semipopular novel by some other now forgotten englishman so probably a good portion of the audience knew what was going to happen anyway, the suicides were not meant to be a surprise twist, imo the emotional weight of the tragedy comes from the situation and time you spend with the characters and the poetic language its expressed with

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 12, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

we should thank the xbone and the ps4 for this becase they're both shockingly underpowered compared to everyone's last gen i5/i7 pc even at launch

the leaked? specs for the next gen consoles are both highend 8 core AMDs so hopefully this 3800x will last me another 8 years

I might have to upgrade my processor since I have a 9700 which doesn’t have all the hyperthreading but I wouldn’t be shocked if I could get 8 years out of my 2070 Super looking at current console specs. My old record for a computer was 7 years, and that wasn’t brought down by obsolescence as much as the PSU went and took everything with it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

I never said that, maybe I missed the beginning of the conversation with whoever you were responding to but I was just trying to make a point that there are a lot of different ways to tell a story, and ending first is just as legitimate as any other way.

Earwicker posted:

the suicides were not meant to be a surprise twist, imo the emotional weight of the tragedy comes from the situation and time you spend with the characters and the poetic language its expressed with

Exactly, a story is a lot more than a series of chronological happenstances. In the kinds of stories where the ending comes first, there is a lovely kind of anticipation or sense of the inevitable that is really enjoyable. If done well, even though you know the ending you're very curious to see how exactly the author gets them there

Anyways any of you guys played Devil May Cry 5? I actually really liked the way they did the story in that one. It kind of looped back around itself a couple times as you see the same things but from different people's perspectives, and it's always telling you exactly when something happened, I think they did a good job

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

goethe.cx posted:

death stranding update: i switched the difficulty to very easy because absolutely gently caress dealing with BTs. assholes
If you're like me and just assumed they worked like any other stealth enemy, just invisible, that's not the case. If you're holding your breath you can pass right through them, if you're not it's solely proximity based. If you're spotted, holding R1 and walking leisurely to the side is all you need to evade the spikes

Have to admit, those encounters are very good at making you anxious, I was dreading every one before I realized what the mechanics are

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DMCV story being all chopped up was cool. It was surprisingly cinematic feeling. It felt more like title cards than level names. I just wish there were a few more locations as the tree innards are so repetitive ( ironic complaint seeing I praise DMC4 at every turn)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wanted to like DMCV but it ended up being bottom of the franchise for me. Measured on a system of the number of times I beat the game, its worse than even DMC2 and I just could not bring myself to want to play more of it. The story is interestingly told but really unengaging, V is just as awful to play as I worried he would be, the levels are ugly and repetitive as all hell, and they made Nero multiple non interacting systems and withheld parts of his move set until the post game so I didnt really like playing as him during the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bottom of the worst franchise ever, what a place to be

e: Wait, is Undertale technically a franchise? In that case DMC would only be second worst

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 12, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Undertale has 2 games, so sure, go Hogge Wilde

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

goethe.cx posted:

true, but people like to feel "blown away" by a plot reveal. that doesn't preclude enjoying things you already know the ending of--i thought citizen kane was a good movie even though i knew rosebud was the sled. but imagine how blown away people were when they first saw the empire strikes back and found out that vader was luke's father. i still like episode v but i'm a little jealous of the people who knew nothing going into it

It depends. A good story twist is something that re-contextualises the entire story up until then, and you can rewatch/replay it with an entirely different POV on things and spot the foreshadowing.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Play posted:

I have a GTX 1060 3 GB which was already midrange when it came out and still plays every game I've ever tried to play with it, all on max settings except the most graphically demanding ones. I feel like I'll get a new one if I ever get into VR but otherwise this should last me another 5 years hopefully

Yeah I got the 1070 and it’ll probably last until it breaks. Games arent really pushing the boundaries anymore. It’s just not profitable

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i have a GTX 1050 that i put into a decade old i7 PC that i found a craigslist. it plays any game i throw at it, usually on high settings.

PC gaming is cheap as gently caress

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

That's actually awesome, now I just hope playing these games doesn't suck too bad on their controllers

Rutibex posted:

i have a GTX 1050 that i put into a decade old i7 PC that i found a craigslist. it plays any game i throw at it, usually on high settings.

My computer is also some prebuilt computer I found for dirt cheap that I stuck a 1050 in, hell yeah

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tatanga is a way the hell better villain for Mario than bowser, and his army of minions is cooler. it is seriously a shame that he’s only in two games as opposed to bowser who I’ve fought so many times across so many platforms its become rote and unmemorable

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I sold my 8yo i7 PC on craigslist for $200 to a dude who's building a whole RL flight deck for his elite: dangerous crew. cool project imo and cheaper than buying everyone a console

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

poverty goat posted:

I sold my 8yo i7 PC on craigslist for $200 to a dude who's building a whole RL flight deck for his elite: dangerous crew. cool project imo and cheaper than buying everyone a console

a used ps4 is like $220 so i don't think this guy doing a massive vanity project over a video game is saving quite as much money as you assume, and also, who the gently caress cares

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

PinheadSlim posted:

That's actually awesome, now I just hope playing these games doesn't suck too bad on their controllers

My computer is also some prebuilt computer I found for dirt cheap that I stuck a 1050 in, hell yeah

If you like old shooters jedi outcast and jedi academy are both there. And also the obligatory everything doom.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I watched Brad from Giant Bomb play Outcast and it looked like a pain in the arse. On PC all your powers are mapped to shortcuts and you instantly use them when pushing the button. With a gamepad you go into a menu and scroll trough them.
Was pretty lol that PC players could easily get into games with Switch and PS4 players in JA at one point. All you had to do was find the IP of the game and join up via the console. People got absolutely butchered.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've got a 960 and I'm definitely getting to the point where I'm having to play stuff on medium or low. Great lifespan though. Of course now midrange video cards are like $350.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

I've got a 960 and I'm definitely getting to the point where I'm having to play stuff on medium or low. Great lifespan though. Of course now midrange video cards are like $350.

you don't need that though. a new "midrange" card is still going to max the settings at 1080p60- it's basically occupying the same space as a flagship card 10-20 years ago. the whole upper range is more power for high resolution, high framerate and VR (e: and computation i guess) and aren't really serious contenders for your dollar at all unless you decide to blow more money on screens first

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 13, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got a 1080 and thought it was a waste over my 970 until I got a 1440p/144hz monitor and now I get very upset seeing my framerate dip below 80, despite it looking so gorgeous and way better than any graphical thing before. I wish I got a 1080Ti or better/newer.

I think that upgrading your monitor beyond 1080p/60 without also upgrading your GPU (or vice versa) is dumb for anyone using a 970 or better. You won’t see much, if any, improvement. Of course at that point upgrading both a monitor and GPU will cost at least $1000.

Anyways. In Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord the top-tier bow/weapon/armor is about 10% more effective than the bow/weapon/armor beneath it, but costs as much as about 4,000 troops. Meaning I could purchase the life and death of 4,000 people for the price of a single bow. A bow that the shop has 10 of. My opinion of this is that Mount and Blade should have better gold sinks and it really detracts from the game’s simulation or whatever.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

PC gamers just increase their framerate infinitely until normal video games are unplayable. They play framerates, not even games at this point. Just an infinite loop of benchmarks and menus. RIP totalbiscuit, the mayor of PC gaming.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah, I don't think there's any single answer to this. Most literature will survive spoilers because the value is in the telling, but taking the joy away from twists from yourself or others isn't great, especially if you're dealing with genre fiction where that 'Jack in the Box' poo poo is part of the telling.

People who are babies and cover their eyes and ears at film trailers for poo poo like Star Wars are poo poo gaga babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

PC gamers just increase their framerate infinitely until normal video games are unplayable. They play framerates, not even games at this point. Just an infinite loop of benchmarks and menus. RIP totalbiscuit, the mayor of PC gaming.

They are all going to go all in on harddrive read speed pretty soon.