Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Are there any critically-acclaimed anime movies written by women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

terre packet posted:

Are there any critically-acclaimed anime movies written by women?

Maquia leaps to mind - Mari Okada might be the most famous/broadly-well-regarded woman screenwriter in the business. Liz And The Blue Bird and A Silent Voice also probably fit the bill - they're both adaptations rather than wholly original works like Maquia, but both the screenplays and the original source texts for both movies were written by women IIRC.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 8, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Silent Voice and Liz and The Blue Bird are both directed by a woman and written by a different woman (Naoko Yamada and Reiko Yoshida, respectively). And yeah, both the original works they're based on (a manga in Silent Voice's case, a novel in Blue Bird's case) are by women, though Blue Bird is semi-original material. (It's basically taking stuff that's mentioned in the novels and crafting a narrative out of it.) Yamada and Yoshida also had the same roles on K-On, including its film.

Both Girls und Panzer and its films are also written by Yoshida, though directed by a guy.

Mari Okada both wrote and directed Maquia, and she wrote Anthem of the Heart and Her Blue sky, though those were directed by a guy.

The upcoming Yuri on Ice film will be directed and partially written by Sayo Yamamoto, much like the TV series was, though there's no news on when it's coming out.

Satoko Okudera is a screenwriter who frequently works with Mamoru Hosoda. Her most famous works are probably The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Wolf Children, though Hosoda has a story credit on Summer Wars and Wolf Children too, so presumably he did some of the concept work. Girl Who Leapt Through Time is also based on a novel by a guy. But she's still got the screenwriter credit, so.

Those are the most prominent recent examples I can think of, though I probably missed a lot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would definitely recommend watching A Silent Voice. It is a very powerful movie that can get very depressing at times.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

In This Corner of the World is an adaptation of a woman mangaka's work, though the film is directed by a guy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Whereabouts does the silent voice movie end vs the manga? Does it cover the majority of it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i haven't read the manga but i think the movie has a decent ending

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Whereabouts does the silent voice movie end vs the manga? Does it cover the majority of it?
It covers almost all of the manga, though obviously it skips over large sections of the middle. It ends at about where Chapter 57 ends,

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thank you very much for the suggestions! Looking forward to checking them out with my spouse. 😊

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Anyone know of any anime as (like) funny as aho-girl?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grudgerm posted:

The Comic Artist and his Assistants is based on a comic by the same guy and has the same sense of humor.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grudgerm posted:

Konosuba, Nichijou, Daily Life of High School Boys, to name a few.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, if we're diversifying outside of that niche, Wasteful Days of High School Girls was side-splittingly funny and occasionally really heartfelt.

Also, probably my favorite use of an insta-filter in anime ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUGCxqjw2z4

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene

Wark Say posted:

The Comic Artist and his Assistants is based on a comic by the same guy and has the same sense of humor.

thank you very much.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Grudgerm posted:

I can't compare to Aho-girl having not read it, but Kakushigoto and Kaguya-sama are both pretty funny and have seasons airing now (well, a couple of days from now in Kaguya-sama's case).

Also seconding Nichijou, all-time great anime comedy IMO

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just about finished with Yu Yu Hakusho. I watched Hunter x Hunter a couple of months ago.

Anything work as a good follow up?

Other favorites I like: Evangelion, Lain, Azumanga Daioh. I feel like I've hit most of the major series at this point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Roth posted:

Just about finished with Yu Yu Hakusho. I watched Hunter x Hunter a couple of months ago.

Anything work as a good follow up?

The currently airing Tower of God might scratch the same itch. It's only two episodes in, but it's adapted from a free webcomic if that's not enough.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

whole lot of anime out there, and with so few named there's no way you've hit all the major ones. just off the top of the head some anime every rookie goes through: ghost in the shell, jojo's bizarre adventure, fullmetal alchemist, k-on!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Davincie posted:

whole lot of anime out there, and with so few named there's no way you've hit all the major ones. just off the top of the head some anime every rookie goes through: ghost in the shell, jojo's bizarre adventure, fullmetal alchemist, k-on!

I've seen those already. Wasn't all that into K-On but I liked the rest.

I'll give anything with strong character writing a try.

Edit - Other shows I really liked: Mob Psycho, Beastars, TTGL, Kino's Journey, Hellsing Ultimate, Trigun, Little Witch Academia, FLCL, Yuru Yuri

Didn't like: Clannad, Kill la Kill, Deadman Wonderland

Roth fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 13, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Roth posted:

Edit - Other shows I really liked: Mob Psycho, Beastars, TTGL, Kino's Journey, Hellsing Ultimate, Trigun, Little Witch Academia, FLCL, Yuru Yuri

I'm going to recommend Land of the Lustrous (Houseki no Kuni), Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, and Nichijou.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will always recommend Shirobako or SSSS.Gridman for general recommendations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, Nichijou's been on my list. That and Demon Slayer seem like what I'll probably check out next. I'll have to resub to Funimation for Nichijou first.

Tower of God also looks interesting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roth posted:

If you liked Trigun check out Blood Blockade Battlefront. It's more episodic but the manga is by the same author as the Trigun manga, so it's got a lot of the same sense of humor. Really good animation in Season 1, too, though season 2 is a bit eh.

If you like Kino's Journey you'll probably like Mushishi, another series of one-off kinda melancholy stories about a traveler. In Mushishi's case it's about a guy who does work exorcising/investigating strange spirits, so there's an ephemeral tone to it that I enjoy a lot.

TTGL takes inspiration from a lot of hot blooded mecha anime, like GaoGaiGar and Shin Getter Robo. Gunbuster and its sequel Diebuster are also pretty obvious recs, since they share a bit of creative staff and Gurren Lagann has some shoutouts to it due to that. Gunbuster/Diebuster are a bit more serious, but they've got the same arc of expanding scale, too, and Diebuster especially's still got some good jokes.

If you liked Hellsing Ultimate, seinen action stuff with guns is probably your speed? Black Lagoon's really good for that. Drifters' manga is also by the same author as the original Hellsing manga, so Drifters might be worth checking out, though the anime's like half-finished since the manga still isn't done.

Oh, and if you liked Yuru Yuri it might be worth looking into some of the director's other comedy stuff, like Gabriel Dropout and Love Lab. Source material is by different authors so the sense of humor is a bit different but the comedic timing and joke setups are pretty similar, and they've got a lot of the same energy Yuru Yuri had.

And if you're looking for strong character writing in general, my rec would be A Place Further than the Universe. Really strong drama/comedy series about four teenagers trying to bumble their way to going to Antarctica. Coming of age type story but the characters are pretty realistically flawed and bounce off each other really well, and it hits some real dramatic highpoints.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 13, 2020

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Roth posted:

beck, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, madoka, ping pong the animation

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to give the stuff I haven't seen a watch.

I have an anilist thag I should also really cleae the plan to watch section out as well to make this easier. I legit don't remember why I added some of this stuff :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Roth posted:

maybe give Eureka Seven a try? I liked a lot of the character writing in that, and the soundtrack is phenomenal. I also really liked the general aesthetic of it, the mecha are weird as hell(sky-surfing!) and the underlying plot is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOE4Qfans9M&hd=1

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Been thinking about trying to find a new anime to watch and I was looking through the last few pages of this thread. How shonen ish is Blood Blockade Battlefront?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's an episodic show so it never really felt like typical shonen to me, aside from the bits of original storyline in s1 that culminate in the finale.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also phenomenal soundtrack!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Alright, cool I'll give it a shot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wark Say posted:

Also phenomenal soundtrack!

The first ED for B^3 is still a personal favourite. Both the song and the credit sequence itself :allears:. Though I do think the second OP was a better fit for the show than the first.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

drat this blood blockade show is making me crave burgers

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I just rewatched Konosuba and Nichijou and it somehow wasnt enough to scratch the comedy itch so I need some good recommendations for comedy/funny stuff. Dont even care what kind of comedy as long as it delivers on the jokes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to Demon School Iruma Kun might help with that itch.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I watched that as it aired.

Probably would have been easier if I asked for from before 2017 (I think thats when I first started posting here?).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furnaceface posted:

I just rewatched Konosuba and Nichijou and it somehow wasnt enough to scratch the comedy itch so I need some good recommendations for comedy/funny stuff. Dont even care what kind of comedy as long as it delivers on the jokes.

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Hinamatsuri

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Asobi Asobase

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun.

It's about doing shoujo manga. I mean, ostensibly.

Everyone is a different kind of idiot. But they're all idiots. And very endearing. And very funny.

Except this guy:

He's just a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endearing/Lovable idiots is the sweet spot so I might start with that.

Ive also had Daily Lives of Highschool Boys on my watch list forever and should really use this opportunity to watch it.