Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MarcusSA posted:

Probably to help open the airway when you lay down.

My doctor told me I should get a night guard to fix it but it’s not covered by insurance and it costs 3k so lol on that.

Dude a C-pap, unlike a mouth guard, actually works and is covered by insurance and closer to $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

magikid posted:

Speaking of panic attacks, any advice for those of us regularly experiencing them now?

Please no goony poo poo.

take 100 deep breaths spread out throughout the day.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/Danny8bit/status/1249373598252331009

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Shaocaholica posted:

Saw a bunch of people yesterday doing residential construction work and demolition even though it’s supposedly banned unless it’s a public road, hospital or low income housing. The rich people in LA must be having all sorts of construction poo poo done when the contractors are desperate for money. Time to get that sex dungeon made for cheap.

My neighbors are doing this poo poo and it's driving me nuts. There's been a steady stream of contractors in and out, no distancing, no masks, they share a portion of the driveway as well. Not only are they breaking the stay at home stuff, it's annoying as poo poo to be stuck inside and wake up to construction starting super early in the AM.

Now today we're supposed to be getting 70+mph wind gusts in New England and there's a bunch of unsecured poo poo under tarps. Hope it gets scattered to hell and back.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Dude a C-pap, unlike a mouth guard, actually works and is covered by insurance and closer to $500

Yes I know but it won’t resolve my issue or I’d get one.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

How the hell does breaking your jaw fix sleep apnea I think your doctor just hated you

I assumed the sleep apnea was a consequence of the broken jaw but the reality is human centipede levels of worse.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

My doctor told me I should get a night guard to fix it

Does it have to be a dude though ?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

magikid posted:

Speaking of panic attacks, any advice for those of us regularly experiencing them now?

Please no goony poo poo.

Take some time out of the day for some self-care. Unplug from news poo poo. Put on some mindless television your brain can kind of follow along with but doesn't require much effort. I watch Food Network poo poo or Star Trek reruns I've seen a thousand times already.

They can trick you into thinking a lot of poo poo is wrong with you, don't let that get to you. Remember that panic attacks won't kill you.

Cut back on the booze if you're drinking too much, it makes it a thousand times worse after the fact.

See if you can find a mental health professional. Mine are doing scripts and therapy over tele-health. You might be able to get a short term medication to help with them. It never hurts to chat with a therapist anyway.

Good luck goon, I've had panic disorder a good portion of my life but was able to get to a good point before all this poo poo started. It's doable.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Jesus whiffs again! another no-show. what a ripoff

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/1249142863004348419?s=19

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Xibanya posted:

quote:

Moderate difficulty breathing
The abdominal wall collapses inward instead of expanding outward when you breathe in.

Severe difficulty breathing
Using the neck, chest, and abdominal muscles to breathe; the skin between, above, and under the ribs collapses inward with each breath. The person also may open his or her nostrils wide when breathing in.

This makes a little more sense... that you're relying on the abdomen to push out air, rather than you're dropping your diaphragm/extending your belly to breathe deep. Still an element of practice (navel to spine, etc.), but a much more conscious exercise.

Hope that you feel better soon, Xibanya. Every aspect of this is scary, but I don't think it's denial to say that the overwhelming majority get through okay.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Just adding to the chorus - it's a hell of a time to have seasonal allergies and asthma.

Living my best life and not convinced every cough is the first sign of covid, nosiree

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My home state of South Dakota went from "We're not NYC so we don't have to worry about anything here*" to having the Nation's 4th worst hotspot at the pork packing plant in Sioux Falls. It still took them 3 days to shut it down and the mayor had to issue a statement warning people not to make this about race. A lot of the low-wage workers in that state are Hispanic. A lot of hate in that state is towards Hispanics. Cognitive dissonance runs in the families out there.

Anyway now we get to pay more for bacon because Kristy Noem is a gently caress wit.

* - the governor literally compared NYC to Lemmon, SD and said "we're not going to see numbers like that in Lemmon so there's no need to act right now." Lemmon has like, 1200 people and is surrounded by nothing but moonscape.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Welp, looks like you’ve got sleep apnea. We’ll see how many bees we can get up your rear end, usually 10 or 12 is how many it takes to cure sleep apnea.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

dwarf74 posted:

Just adding to the chorus - it's a hell of a time to have seasonal allergies and asthma.

Living my best life and not convinced every cough is the first sign of covid, nosiree

I know how you feel. I was put on hypertension medication last month that immediately started a nagging dry cough. My Dr switched me last week but the cough remains. Do I have covid? who knows? All I know is that this keeps me from even thinking about going anywhere in case I cough wrong and get shot.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

magikid posted:

Please no goony poo poo.

Reduce intake of alcohol and/or caffeine. I haven’t had one for a long time but when I did it was those two things in combination that did it.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
The damage to mental health caused by quarantine, the 24 hour news cycle, and unemployment is going to cause much more harm to society than the virus itself. The virus is literally nothing compared to what we are doing to ourselves and others.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Welp, looks like you’ve got sleep apnea. We’ll see how many bees we can get up your rear end, usually 10 or 12 is how many it takes to cure sleep apnea.

Lmao

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

central dogma posted:

The damage to mental health caused by quarantine, the 24 hour news cycle, and unemployment is going to cause much more harm to society than the virus itself. The virus is literally nothing compared to what we are doing to ourselves and others.
it appear the worst virus of all... is man

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I suffer from anxiety and have had counselling etc for it and I was taught Mindfullness which really helps me.
Basically it's a way to snap out of something by thinking about the here and now, something small rather than big. It's a way to ground yourself.
For example, pick up a pen and look at it, think about how it works, how the ink is stored in there, how the tip transfers ink to paper, really look at it.
Or think about how to make the perfect toast, what's involved, how look to cook it, what spread you want to use?
Mindfullness is almost a reset button.
My ultimate Mindfullness technique is to learn a tune on guitar, but anything that shrinks your world for a while can work.
Here is a good article about it:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mindfulness/

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

central dogma posted:

*dead, six feet underground*

'well this could be worse, i could be stuck watching cable news all day'

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

sweet thursday posted:

it appear the worst virus of all... is man
makes you think

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

Idgi either. No amount of therapy will resuscitate you from a bad roni.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Mozi posted:

People with severe mental health issues can literally feel this way, especially if they have suicidal tendencies exacerbated by self isolation.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
well i would say 'don't watch cable news' then. you can apply this precept generally across all time and space and benefit in terms of mental health without becoming any less informed

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Mozi posted:

well i would say 'don't watch cable news' then. you can apply this precept generally across all time and space and benefit in terms of mental health without becoming any less informed

Yes, obviously. I'm not saying don't be informed or don't self-isolate (I haven't left my house for 4 weeks now, and happily) so y'all can put your pitchforks away.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

QuarkJets posted:

Take up yoga

No really, do it, downdog is a pretty good app. Or Yoga With Adrienne's 30 Days of Yoga series on Youtube is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXU591OYOHA

Obviously this won't help if you're in the middle of a panic attack but you'll probably feel less anxious overall and may experience fewer of them.

Wife and I have been doing yoga intermittently for a few years. We’ve both been doing Adrienne’s yoga videos for the past month. We usually do 4-5 days a week. She’s really good and has a ton of content. Great for beginners/intermediate.

It’s something we really looking forward to and it’s great for the body. We’re both a lot more sedentary now that we’ve been home under lockdown. My back was starting to hurt and behind my knee was starting to get tight because I haven’t been active. Yoga really helps loosen up.

Done more yoga in the last month than I have in the last year. Seriously a good time to get started with this sort of thing.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

central dogma posted:

No, that's definitely wrong. The virus has already killed over a hundred thousand people and isn't slowing down.

All these arguments about X thing being worse than the virus are beyond absurd to all but the most mentally ill observer.

Mental illness is a bitch. Domestic violence is awful. Nobody is rooting for these things, but they pale in comparison to the loss of human life that has already happened, let alone what is coming.

The economy "failing" will not kill more people than the virus. Suicides and murders aren't going to come close to matching these numbers.

To me, it sounds like someone is telling you that there is a murderer outside who wants to kill you, and all you want to talk about is how inconvenient it is not to be able to go outside where the killer is. Like, yeah... This sucks but it's objectively better than the alternative.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kitLGWIBL4

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

cool stuff happening in canada

https://twitter.com/DanDicksPFT/status/1249449767404363776

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Whats this? Oh it's just the medical grade mask Im wearing to march against tyranny and this madeup disease

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I read this book when I was a kid has anyone else read it I can’t remember the author or title but it was about twin boys and one was cool and athletic and the other one was a fat nerd and they had a shed in the backyard and there was like a black hole in it that dilated time and the fat nerd realized that he could spend a whole year in the shed and only 8 hours would pass in the real world so he stocked up on MREs or something and went and lived in the shed for a year and dieted and did push ups all day and poo poo and he came out of the shed the next morning and he was a year older and all ripped and poo poo and he goes to his twin brother and says who’s the nerd now bitch and gives him a super swirly.

Anyway I feel like the fat nerd and I’ve been in the shed for a month so far and all I’ve done is eat Cheez-Its and masturbate.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

central dogma posted:

Yes, obviously. I'm not saying don't be informed or don't self-isolate (I haven't left my house for 4 weeks now, and happily) so y'all can put your pitchforks away.

:hf:

honestly i'd probably be happier if i was less well-informed as i could just isolate for a few months and not have to be aware of how badly we're screwing this up

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I read this book when I was a kid has anyone else read it I can’t remember the author or title but it was about twin boys and one was cool and athletic and the other one was a fat nerd and they had a shed in the backyard and there was like a black hole in it that dilated time and the fat nerd realized that he could spend a whole year in the shed and only 8 hours would pass in the real world so he stocked up on MREs or something and went and lived in the shed for a year and dieted and did push ups all day and poo poo and he came out of the shed the next morning and he was a year older and all ripped and poo poo and he goes to his twin brother and says who’s the nerd now bitch and gives him a super swirly.

Anyway I feel like the fat nerd and I’ve been in the shed for a month so far and all I’ve done is eat Cheez-Its and masturbate.

that was dragonball z after vegeta left the hyperbolic time chamber

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

One thing I get when I get really sick with a sever cough is costochondritis, which is inflammation/injury of the connective tissue of the ribcage. It's excruciating and last for like 2 months. Imagine the pain of a badly sprained ankle applied to your ribs every time you take a deep breath, or raise your arms, or try to lay down. For 8+ weeks. I get really good at sleeping sitting up after the first month. And it's not like it's easy to ice your ribs, especially if you have boobs. You just have to take it really easy and wait it out and hope you stop coughing so you stop aggravating it. And sneezing? That definitely makes you cry out in pain after. Holy gently caress.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I think this was just bad DBZ fanfic

e: gently caress

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Lucky Guy posted:

I think this was just bad DBZ fanfic

e: gently caress

To be fair, it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between DBZ and DBZ fanfic

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

central dogma posted:

I get that language evolves, but 115k dead (and rising) seems like a stretch for "literally nothing".

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

You read my diary. Who's the nerd now, bitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It isn’t it’s a real book this was before DBZ existed.