Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Skypie posted:

I think that, generally, you gotta have assets that are worth a certain amount of money AND in your name only to create an estate in the courts that the banks can raid. My mom went through this when my dad died. Basically, Dad didn't have enough stuff in his name alone that Mom was legally required to file through the courts. I think she had to report to the probate courts that there wasn't enough and they said "ok." She had an advisory session with a lawyer who told her that the house and cars were not to be listed through the probate courts since her name was on the mortgages/titles as well.

This meant the hospital wrote off the 2.5 weeks worth of bills from him being in Critical and Intensive Care beds on top of medicines and equipment they used on him. I think my mom told me they sent a $350,000 bill but when she called the hospital billing department they said, "that's a mistake, don't pay any of it." He had a $5000 loan in his name through Navient (nobody knew what it was for) and when Mom told them he'd died, they said "well we'll check the probate courts for an estate, and if nothing's there, it'll just be written off."

So to sum it up money isn't real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lmao
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1249713417419620352
and another thing: i have the power to reopen the states. please dont put in the chryon that i don't have the power to reopen the states.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
President Trump please post the states have the right to suck it Lincoln meme

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

those are frigates not "ornicopters" (ornithopters)

christ don't you know anything about dune

I just say, I want a good movie, not a derivative one too influenced by the first one.

Has for my dune knowledge, I have read the 9 books about 2 times. Not a huge fan, but my nick is based on the novels.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

in all sincerity, can he, say, reopen schools that states have closed? asking bc im a teacher and dont want to die.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

old beast lunatic posted:

President Trump please post the states have the right to suck it Lincoln meme

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I showed you my presidential power, pls reopen

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Apraxin posted:

and another thing: i have the power to reopen the states. please dont put in the chryon that i don't have the power to reopen the states.

lol

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Rynn posted:

So to sum it up money isn't real?

correct

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

unironically is this true? cos I just want for a run today and now i'm gonna feel guilty and maybe i shouldn't do it anymore

I mean, breathing hard will spread more. Wear a mask for others' protection and avoid people if you're jogging these days

eighty-four merc posted:

exercise is important op, especially during a public health crisis

they should be wearing masks, sure, but that isn't how we have collectively decided to respond to this crisis, so why single out such an incredibly low-risk activity?

I think he's singling out the idiots who don't have enough braincells to avoid people. tbh that should be a thing all the time not just in a pandemic lol

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

we never fully loving closed

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fits my needs posted:

speaking of robama. did rokhana go back to the succ swamp yet.

he never really left it tbh

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tei posted:

I just say, I want a good movie, not a derivative one too influenced by the first one.

Has for my dune knowledge, I have read the 9 books about 2 times. Not a huge fan, but my nick is based on the novels.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
My spouse is a medical provider who mainly sees people on medicaid so their social economic status is pretty low. This is because other hospitals the area don't want to take medicaid so she gets all of them. So now, her colleagues in those other hospitals are busy with tele-health, while my spouse is now furloughed because it turns out(to no surprise to c-spam) that income inequality is so bad that people with low SES are unable to do telehealth for a bunch of reasons related to poverty. It's a real sad state with just things a lot of people can take for granted.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Gio posted:

in all sincerity, can he, say, reopen schools that states have closed? asking bc im a teacher and dont want to die.

He can take punative actions against states that don't bend to his will, and his previous actions definitely indicate he may.

But let's all claim Hillary and Biden would be worse picks, while rapists fill the SCOTUS.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Atoramos posted:

He can take punative actions against states that don't bend to his will, and his previous actions definitely indicate he may.

But let's all claim Hillary and Biden would be worse picks, while rapists fill the SCOTUS.

I don't really think Biden would do any better and also he's a rapist too.

but yeah I think Hillary would probably do mildly better. at the very least she did in the past support medicare related stuff and wasn't against social security

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We're all gonna die from the universal expertise of businessmen.

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1249525318655803392

hell yeah reddit autodidacts rise up and save the economy

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Question- do they give the Snake asscheek harness to the men as well?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Gio posted:

I mean, 250 years of law says no, but the supreme court is just a branch of the executive these days soooo the answer is whatever is worst for you probably

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

he never really left it tbh

can't wait for him/bernie to tell me to vote for biden tbh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

horny is verboten

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Tweet this @ the president after he makes his big announcement and there's a decent chance the president will signal boost. (because he's presidential)

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
all of the federal governments normal canards of making the states do they want don't really apply in a pandemic scenario so it will be really fun to watch them try

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Patriot teachers will bravely march on the schools and reopen them by force of will, over the protests of feckless and craven lib govs, to educate the next generation of American Leaders

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Schnorkles posted:

all of the federal governments normal canards of making the states do they want don't really apply in a pandemic scenario so it will be really fun to watch them try

He'll cut federal funding to those states to $0 overnight and the court will shrug

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

biden is also a rapist, the scotus is lost already anyways, and even if the gop let biden fill a vacant seat (lol they wouldn't because he's even more of a limp pushover than obama was) he'd just appoint some geriatric right-leaning centrist.

unrelated but more topical question: has china sent aid to any more us states and has trump said anything funny about it yet

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

brugroffil posted:

He'll cut federal funding to those states to $0 overnight and the court will shrug

right and it won't matter in a pandemic scenario because the political calculus is completely different.

also they'll get an injunction in CA district court or w/e against the lowering the funds to $0

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

He doesn't even have to illegally withhold funding! State and local tax revenues are already going to completely collapse and require a federal bailout. We see they're already confiscating medical supplies and then doling them out solely based on political favors. The same thing will happen with federally funding schools etc. Not open? No funding!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Chunky Salsa posted:

Question- do they give the Snake asscheek harness to the men as well?

yep, stillsuits for everyone (at Arrakis)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Reopening the economy is code for "from here on out the negative effects you feel are due to your own laziness."

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

oh yeah? check this out

now its a war on covid

invoke p on every factory and restaurant to continue producing widgets and food effective immediately

start using the national guard to run all essential services and start drafting people

hold army/navy sporting events with the newly drafted athletes and charge admission/broadcast ppv/merchandise

welcome to the new wartime economy

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/13/coronavirus-live-news-global-cases-italy-new-york-death-tolls-slow-latest-updates posted:

German experts recommend easing of restrictions

As time runs out on emergency measures to limit the spread of coronavirus in Germany, the country’s Academy of Sciences Leopoldina has recommended a gradual relaxing of restrictions, as long as new infections stabilise and personal hygiene measures are maintained, AFP reports.

The Academy’s findings are to form the basis for a decision Wednesday by German Chancellor Angela Merkel and the heads of Germany’s 16 regions about whether to extend restrictions imposed in mid-March that are set to expire on Sunday.

The latest figures by the Robert Koch public health institute indicate new infections are slowing, dropping to 2,537 on Monday, taking the total to 123,016. With 2,799 deaths so far from Covid-19, the toll in Germany is far behind that of other big European nations.

The Academy recommended reopening schools as soon as possible, starting with primary and middle schools, although most child care facilities should remain closed. It recommended reopening shops and restaurants as long as social distancing measures are rigorously respected, and for government offices to get back to work.

The head of the Academy, Gerald Haug, said these measures could only go forward accompanied by an obligation to wear a face mask while riding in public transport to prevent a resurgence of infections. He told the weekly Der Spiegel

"Every citizen should in the future have this type of protection for their mouth and nose and wear it each time social distancing measures can’t be respected."

good news from germany where things have been managed well so far

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1249726035261829121

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Tei posted:

yep, stillsuits for everyone (at Arrakis)

I was more asking about the 2020 version, because I know the 1984 movie was no coward (But thank you for attempting to inform me)

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

frajaq posted:

can anything serious come out of this if a lot more sailors die from the virus?

What does your heart tell you?

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

my gaping economy

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

frajaq posted:

can anything serious come out of this if a lot more sailors die from the virus?

"I like sailors that DON'T get infected" :trumpsmug:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

old beast lunatic posted:

Hillary sucks enormously but she probably wouldn't have hosed this up nearly as bad because unlike strong daddy she is marginally smarter than a brain damaged baby.

You know the whole reason she was the only choice to begin with and everyone who voted trump deserves to suffer.

At the very least, there would be an entirely different shadowy cabal of well-connected people profiting from the PPE shortage.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Schnorkles posted:

right and it won't matter in a pandemic scenario because the political calculus is completely different.

also they'll get an injunction in CA district court or w/e against the lowering the funds to $0

He will cause death and suffering among the owned liberals while the TV people tell him what a good boy he is. That's all he cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

poty posted:

good news from germany where things have been managed well so far

otoh their economy is getting hosed even worse than ours by this so this could very well just be a desperate "things are leveling off, let's open the floodgates" situation