Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You know what would've been a really nice thing to have. Some sort of move that would instakill a flashing enemy if you can't reach them with a glory kill.
Maybe like, change the useless microwave mod to shoot a fast charge shot that blows up flashing enemies.

Also, being able to chainsaw flashing enemies for 1 fuel would've been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah my bad. I knew for certain that you could get normal xp by replaying levels but I didn't think that normal xp and event xp were separate.

Cooked his rear end

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone got any tips on efficiently removing the sled from doom hunters? Plasma Rifle method takes for ever.
I feel like I can remove it with one blood punch, since he's weak to that, occasionally but I can't seem to make it a consistent thing. Not sure why.

Chaingun does it really well.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

warning: Bethesda is cracking down hard on cheaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF2XsXVoFCU

gently caress Bethesda and their support of the military industrial demonic prison complex!!

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Hwurmp posted:

wooooosh

:(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's really only to be expected that a joke about meathook skips would sail over people's heads

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jack Trades posted:

You know what would've been a really nice thing to have. Some sort of move that would instakill a flashing enemy if you can't reach them with a glory kill.
Maybe like, change the useless microwave mod to shoot a fast charge shot that blows up flashing enemies.

Also, being able to chainsaw flashing enemies for 1 fuel would've been nice.

I bought the microwave mod first and it'd be nice if it didn't take a thousand years to blow a pinkie up with it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've seen a couple people use the microwave mod as a really lovely stun. Basically hit them with the microwave beam, then swap to another weapon and kill them while they're stunned.

Seems like a best-case use scenario, and it's still worthless

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The plasma gun is the only weapon that just feels kinda bad - the game basically had to create highly niche enemies to justify its existence, while the other guns all have highly specific uses as well but also a more general utility - like the rocket launcher is great for locking on to enemies with jerky movements / auto-deleting hell knights but it's also perfectly fine to just dump rockets into crowds or lob them at super-heavies, whereas I don't think I ever used the plasma gun at all aside from the 3 enemies that are basically giant flashing "plasma is a hard counter" billboards.

I think overall the game does a great job of letting you use whatever weapons you want while also mixing in some spots where you can make your life significantly easier by using the "right" tools, but the plasma gun just doesn't really feel like it has a place. I think they could have avoided that but they stumbled hard on the alt-fire modes.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I use the plasma gun a lot. The blast wave thing is awesome.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Plasma is for easy glory kills on fodder, followed by heat-blast on some heavies.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a lot of times i'd just fire the plasma gun off into space just to have a heat blast charged

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I use plasma gun a lot. It's chaingun before you get the chaingun and the alt-fire is really strong even on heavies.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The plasma gun is the only weapon that just feels kinda bad - the game basically had to create highly niche enemies to justify its existence, while the other guns all have highly specific uses as well but also a more general utility - like the rocket launcher is great for locking on to enemies with jerky movements / auto-deleting hell knights but it's also perfectly fine to just dump rockets into crowds or lob them at super-heavies, whereas I don't think I ever used the plasma gun at all aside from the 3 enemies that are basically giant flashing "plasma is a hard counter" billboards.

I think overall the game does a great job of letting you use whatever weapons you want while also mixing in some spots where you can make your life significantly easier by using the "right" tools, but the plasma gun just doesn't really feel like it has a place. I think they could have avoided that but they stumbled hard on the alt-fire modes.

This reads like a person who hasn't put any points into the plasma gun and then ran to the computer to tell everyone how bad it is.

Jack Trades posted:

There is, it's called shooting them with literally any weapon.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 13, 2020

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The palsma gun owns and it does 50% more damage with the classic sound pack for when you plasma at them

<3 palsma

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

AndyElusive posted:

This reads like a person who hasn't put any points into the plasma gun and then ran to the computer to tell everyone how bad it is.

:shrug: I fully upgraded and mastered it but just rarely saw any times when I wanted to use it over another weapon aside from blowing up shields / loving up Doom Hunters. I haven't watched much speedrun footage but from what I saw it seemed like most of them were rarely ever using it either. Like it's fine for regular use but most of the cases where people are talking about stuff like using alt-fire to stun pinkies just confused me because why would I bother with all that when i can just meathook them and insta-gib them with the SSG in half the time?

I've fully cleared the game multiple times now and the only places I had any trouble wouldn't have been improved by using more plasma so I dunno, maybe it just doesn't click with me for whatever reason.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will say since it's a zero sum game between the ballista and the plasma rifle vis a vis cells and the ballista is insanely useful my usage of the plasma rifle dropped dramatically once i got it. see also the heavy assault rifle versus the chaingun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love how the quad damage sound makes everything sound like the OG DOOM Plasma gun.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fond memories of using the Microwave Beam to stunlock the first Doom Hunter and knock off 50% of its health bar

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Things with a lot HP take a poo poo ton of punishment when they're flashing. Archnatrons and Cacos don't even die to a sticky grenade or precision shot and that's the most powerful long range attacks you got early.
In the mid-game a flashing mancubus takes a ton of firepower to finish off.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm pretty sure the glory kill state is basically a poise-broken state, not necessarily a "nearly dead, finish him" state. I've had distant Mancubi go into glory kill state two or three times before dying.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Weak points and hard counters exist for a reason - it makes the early game easier and refines your reflexes for when the game takes the kiddie gloves off and throws you into the deep end

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cowcaster posted:

i will say since it's a zero sum game between the ballista and the plasma rifle vis a vis cells and the ballista is insanely useful my usage of the plasma rifle dropped dramatically once i got it. see also the heavy assault rifle versus the chaingun.

The HAR is still useful late game for a few niche purposes like sniping spider turrets at a distance and headshotting makyr drones in the penultimate boss fight (thank god for the slow-mo rune).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The major downside to the slowmo rune is that it is hard bound to the right click button, so it can gently caress you over if you want to lock on to an enemy first and then slowmo.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

people talk about how bizarre a decision it was to have a grenade throw and grenade swap button was when there's only two grenades to begin with but i'd pay cash on the counter for a dedicated slowmo button than the "right click while jumping" thing they cooked up for it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Doom Hunters are the 90sest design imaginable, I love them. Also wow you guys were right the game gets a million times easier once you use the SSG and slow mo rune to turn into the Bionic Commando lmao.

Unrelatedly I'm pretty sure the thump sound for all the unlockables and rewards and stuff after each mission is in time to Doom 1's Intermission beat so I guess it made it in a bit more than I thought!

quote:

people talk about how bizarre a decision it was to have a grenade throw and grenade swap button was when there's only two grenades to begin with but i'd pay cash on the counter for a dedicated slowmo button than the "right click while jumping" thing they cooked up for it

Both of these are fairly annoying design decisions; I keep flubbing which grenade I have equipped as a result

I'm not a huge fan of the weapon mastery challenges either, just because while I CAN hit 25 arachnotrons with a shotgun grenade, it's also kind of boring to

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 14, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I ended up dropping that slo-mo rune pretty quickly. Gotta go fast.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My grenade management solution was to forget that the ice grenade existed.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The Doom Hunters are the 90sest design imaginable, I love them.

That sled has some strong Armored Core energy; it's great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
i want a Doom Hunter skin that replaces the sled with like a Radio Flyer red wagon.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Entropic posted:

I beat UV without really using them at all. They have utility but honestly the button to swap ends up so far down the pecking order that it’s never close enough to do comfortably.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Other way around for me, I mostly only used ice grenades until I learned to internalize switch - frag - switch input for frags.

Ice Grenades' healing and damage multiplier are too important I feel.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I'm using the Elite 2 and I mapped the grenade switch to one of the paddles underneath. During gameplay I was actually using my right hand to press the button on the left side of the controller, it was so unintuitive.

I don't think I used them at all on my first UV run

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
the grenades were the first time ive found merit in a gaming mouse having 2 sidebuttons

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how did they know about Suzie

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope the DLC content is going to be sizable enough.
I need more Eternal content right into my veins.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The neat thing about your massive arsenal is that if you forget to use something you can still kick a lot of rear end. I keep forgetting about blood punches even tho they're useful and I can get through just fine.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I just realized that everyone was complaining so much about the marauder's sheild while I was killed many more times by the fat robot guys popping a bunch of shields in my way at the worse time and boxing me in with a hell knight but no one seems to complain about them.

Entropic posted:

Upgraded it's a free stun grenade for heavy demons so it can be a life saver on higher difficulties.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
carcass shields are free damage, thats why the plasma rifle is still good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
slow mo in air is the best rune to run so you can see your enemy's facial expressions slowly change as you hook shot toward them and align your double barrel with their face