Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

mosin sucks i hate it awful gun

edit: if youre going to use the mosin take off the rear sight thats my genuine advice cos the iron is garbage i hate it i will not use the mosin u cant make me

doesn't that lower ergo lmao why would you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

because the iron is gigantic and blocks everything i base my feelings on guns almost entirely on "can i see what im looking at down the sight"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i also think that "the mosin can maybe let you one tap a sweaty" isnt as useful as "an SKS or AK lets you take multiple shots and win more fights against regular players and scavs"

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Stux posted:

mosin sucks i hate it awful gun

edit: if youre going to use the mosin take off the rear sight thats my genuine advice cos the iron is garbage i hate it i will not use the mosin u cant make me

I remember hearing something about removing rear sight leads to the aim being hosed on the mosin? Or was that the front sight

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Stux posted:

i also think that "the mosin can maybe let you one tap a sweaty" isnt as useful as "an SKS or AK lets you take multiple shots and win more fights against regular players and scavs"

IMO SKS with PS ammo is the best starter weapon. PS is so cheap has good pen and does plenty of damage. The SKS is semi-auto so it gives you a lot more control than an AK.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
You're allowed to shoot the AK in semi-auto.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Wooper posted:

You're allowed to shoot the AK in semi-auto.

I pretty much only shoot AK in semi-auto, unless it's stacked. The recoil on AKs is insane. I did manage to pick up a kitted out AK yesterday from a dead body killed by boss scavs that shoots in full auto as if it were semi auto. Now I understand why people use the AK so much. I priced it out at around 300k, but holy poo poo is it good. I kept it to try out one day and saved the preset. Every attachment on it is like 40k but for that kind of power, I guess it's worth it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Stux I, uh, don't think you should be writing guides.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

ShowTime posted:

I pretty much only shoot AK in semi-auto, unless it's stacked. The recoil on AKs is insane. I did manage to pick up a kitted out AK yesterday from a dead body killed by boss scavs that shoots in full auto as if it were semi auto. Now I understand why people use the AK so much. I priced it out at around 300k, but holy poo poo is it good. I kept it to try out one day and saved the preset. Every attachment on it is like 40k but for that kind of power, I guess it's worth it.

There is a secret ak74m trade that is this good but only costs ~45k total. You need mechanic level 3 for it though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ThePineapple posted:

I remember hearing something about removing rear sight leads to the aim being hosed on the mosin? Or was that the front sight

Yeah lmao this might be why Stux doesn't like it. The Mosin does not shoot straight if you take the rear sight off.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Twitch drops tomorrow at 12PM EST. https://twitter.com/TwitchEsports/status/1249729265886810116

Guess there is also some kind of tournament. Leave your twitch stream on in the background (audio enabled but you can mute the tab and it works) for free poo poo.

twig1919 posted:

There is a secret ak74m trade that is this good but only costs ~45k total. You need mechanic level 3 for it though.

Is it the AK-74M Zenitco? Yea that seems pretty good for the cost.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

twig1919 posted:

Is that the m-cable + 3 marlboros one? I did wonder why the military cable goes for 35k or so.

Anyone have tips on the Jaeger "Kill 10 scavs at >50m range with an iron sight mosin" quest? I can't find a good spot for it, and I either need to get better aim or better eyes because I have had very little luck hitting scavs with it at that range.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Hobnob posted:

Is that the m-cable + 3 marlboros one? I did wonder why the military cable goes for 35k or so.

Anyone have tips on the Jaeger "Kill 10 scavs at >50m range with an iron sight mosin" quest? I can't find a good spot for it, and I either need to get better aim or better eyes because I have had very little luck hitting scavs with it at that range.

Pick off some scavs on Scav Island from a hill on Shoreline.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Hobnob posted:

50m isn't that far and you can probably just get it naturally if you bring mosins. But if you want to find specific spots, I would guess Woods or Shoreline would be the best. On woods there's a hill to the south of scav house that you can get on and snipe scavs in the field; you can also pick off scavs in the central area from the southern or western outskirts (although be careful of other players). On shoreline you can generally run along the waterfront and pick off scavs on the road or in gas station, or shoot them on scav island from the mainland. There are also sniper scav spawns at the power station and at the northern bridge / rock passage extract area.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Shoreline power station also has scavs, usually 3 or so late in the raid. There are 2 scavs that spawn way up north above the village around a couple weapon crates. I find those two some of the easiest scavs to get.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ShowTime posted:

Shoreline power station also has scavs, usually 3 or so late in the raid. There are 2 scavs that spawn way up north above the village around a couple weapon crates. I find those two some of the easiest scavs to get.

There's also a scav Sniper on the Power Station roof sometimes and it's the only Sniper that I've see spawning wing NVGs of any kind. You can't get on the roof and his body will never drop to the ground >:[

Kikas fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 13, 2020

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kikas posted:

There's also a scav Sniper on that roof sometimes and it's the only Sniper that I've see spawning wing NVGs of any kind. You can't get on the roof and his body will never drop to the ground >:[
yeah that power station sniper is pretty much a gimme

if you're willing to brave the resort (don't rush it with a mosin obviously) scavs also spawn in the parking lot below the west wing and can be pretty easily picked off from the roof (also look out for the scav sniper on the rock behind resort)

you can also pick off scavs wandering around outside the resort, but its much easier to get angles on the parking lot and it's always >50 yards

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 13, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah lmao this might be why Stux doesn't like it. The Mosin does not shoot straight if you take the rear sight off.

95% of my mosin use has been with the rear sight but if i get one on a scav now ill take it off and i have a lot more luck with it. but i spent most of my early time with the AKs or maybe an SKS, because the advice to a brand new player being "use this bolt action rifle that will spell your death if you cant land shots" is very bad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

my advice for new players is "just use an AK"

they have more shots, available faster, and with a magazine reload. you can go full auto, which is difficult to control but when your first map is going to be customs, being able to go full auto if you need to is extremely useful in multiple areas of the map where the huge initial kick isnt as punishing. prapor sells one for cheaper than a mosin and when you have the flea market theyre like, 15k each. it doesnt matter if a mosin can one shot when it has 5 rounds and is bolt action, take an ak and throw bullets at them, at the very least itll make them get into cover and let you get away or reposition.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Thanks guys. I just got done on Shoreline shooting a whole lot of scavs for the first two punisher quests, so I guess they'd work for the Jaeger stuff. (Though I doubt I'm going to pull off sniping to scav island with an unscoped Mosin, I clocked that distance at 175m.)

It's really more an issue of seeing the scavs before they see me and close the distance. Though I'd swear I've killed ones at >50m and it's not counted. 3 more to go.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Hobnob posted:

I did it on customs. Any of the sniper scavs, or shooting road bridge -> RUAF, or cliffs -> factory courtyard. These worked really well for the follow up quest where you need to bully scavs with leg shots as well.

Stux posted:

my advice for new players is "just use an AK"

they have more shots, available faster, and with a magazine reload. you can go full auto, which is difficult to control but when your first map is going to be customs, being able to go full auto if you need to is extremely useful in multiple areas of the map where the huge initial kick isnt as punishing. prapor sells one for cheaper than a mosin and when you have the flea market theyre like, 15k each. it doesnt matter if a mosin can one shot when it has 5 rounds and is bolt action, take an ak and throw bullets at them, at the very least itll make them get into cover and let you get away or reposition.

Don’t undersell the fact that the Mosin encourages a patient aiming/positioning play style, which is important for new players to learn as much as it is for them to learn when you should be hip firing and mag dumping. Sure you can pop off 30 rounds of PS out of an AK, but opening up and dropping suppressing fire isn’t always constructive.

It’s too bad the usable 556 ammos are gently caress off expensive now. ADAR with a magpul handguard + AFG, low profile gas block, and stock upgrade and optic of your choice used to be an excellent budget build for like 50k total.

M1a is also a great budget weapon once you unlock the flea market. It’s basically a direct upgrade to the hunter - for like 30k more (call it 70-80k total... 50k for the gun and 20-30 for attachments and mags) you get 20 to 50 rnd mags and some solid muzzle attachment options. From there you can throw a SASS on it and have an RSASS for half the cost.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 13, 2020

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

causticBeet posted:

Don’t undersell the fact that the Mosin encourages a patient aiming/positioning play style, which is important for new players to learn as much as it is for them to learn when you should be hip firing and mag dumping. Sure you can pop off 30 rounds of PS out of an AK, but opening up and dropping suppressing fire isn’t always constructive.

It’s too bad the usable 556 ammos are gently caress off expensive now. ADAR with a magpul handguard + AFG, low profile gas block, and stock upgrade and optic of your choice used to be an excellent budget build for like 50k total.

M1a is also a great budget weapon once you unlock the flea market. It’s basically a direct upgrade to the hunter - for like 30k more (call it 70-80k total... 50k for the gun and 20-30 for attachments and mags) you get 20 to 50 rnd mags and some solid muzzle attachment options. From there you can throw a SASS on it and have an RSASS for half the cost.

yeah, actual 7.62 AKs have enough recoil that full auto rarely comes into play - to the point that I'd almost recommend a VPO-136 (or SKS) over them, except the folding stock AKs cost about the same on the flea market and being restricted to the GP-25 recoil pad for stock upgrades really only becomes a disadvantage at a point where you should be moving on to better guns/calibers

this is also why I stick up for 856A1 - it's still generally affordable enough on a per-round basis that using a rec battery trade-in ADAR (with or without upgrades beyond a sight) makes sense for a new player

once you get into "real" guns at the moment imo it's really hard to beat the VSS and M1A for cost effectiveness - a base VSS offers the performance of a tricked out gun costing several times its price (and 20 round mags full of SP-5 are very affordable), and I think you're somewhat underselling how much of an upgrade to the Hunter that base M1A + muzzle attachment build is, since it basically laser-targets the Hunter's weak points by halving the recoil and multiplying the magazine size by 2-3x

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

causticBeet posted:

I did it on customs. Any of the sniper scavs, or shooting road bridge -> RUAF, or cliffs -> factory courtyard. These worked really well for the follow up quest where you need to bully scavs with leg shots as well.

im going to be honest everyone kept telling me to use the mosin and i kept trying for ages, and i kept dying and losing money and not surviving raids, but what truly unlocked my power was saying "this gun sucks i hate it" and buying AKs and learning to spray full auto with no attachments and im now extremely rich from killing geared people in dorms

i will take even a PS AK over a mosin i hate that gun it sucks its bad its a bad gun, learn to hipfire and dump mags and throw grenades and push its more fun its "da way of da warrior"

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Just tailor your weapon to what you're planning to do in raid. Going into dorms? I want a full auto gun every time. Creeping around on woods or on shoreline-minus-resort? A mosin is fine for cheap. Honestly it sucks to spray guns at anything past close range unless the gun is modded for recoil.

ThePineapple fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 13, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I want every bullet to count so I don't use garbage PS ammo, but I also want to be able to spray people down if necessary and not stare helplessly at them while I rack my bolt and they shove their barrel in my mouth. So I run heavily-modded AK-74Ms with BP ammo, or SR-25s. Then I bip people at range on semi-auto, and hose them down up close if necessary.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the difference is when i go on shoreline i can still run an ak because its insanely moddable and has a semi auto mode. and doing that also helps you learn about modding guns which is very powerful

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mosin, grach, paca, peen helm was my go-to newbie loadout.

Replaced by sks, armored rig and ratnik when I got money

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I cycle back and forth between running armored rigs vs. armor and rig as two separate pieces

I feel like running two makes it easier and more likely to get at least your rig back, but what do I know I'm kind of bad at tarkov sometimes

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Buff Hardback posted:

I cycle back and forth between running armored rigs vs. armor and rig as two separate pieces

I feel like running two makes it easier and more likely to get at least your rig back, but what do I know I'm kind of bad at tarkov sometimes

I feel like its the opposite. If you run a rig that has more slots than its size, people will often just put it in their bag and fill it with random loot to expand their carrying capacity. Also can get picked up by people running internal mag SKS/Mosins and shotguns with body armor and a scav vest or something. On the flip side, while people will certainly stuff their bags with spacious armored rigs like the AVS, they also have to weigh how damaged the rig is, which will affect its resale value, and its MUCH more difficult to just put on if they had armor, as if you're dead, your rig is also probably hosed up too. 6B3TM is a class 4 armored rig that carriers 12 and takes up 12 spaces, so its typically not picked up unless the other guy actually wants to wear it as armor (or a scav gets it).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
My go to newbie loadout was just an M9A3. Kill scavs, put as much in your secure container as you can and then start trying to surprise some players or loot dead bodies. Then I had enough to run slightly better loadouts and not sweat it. Running with just a pistol is the best way to start until you really get the game and the map layouts.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ShowTime posted:

Which ones? The blue ones sell for alot, even empty, because you can use them to craft mag boxes. So you can sell them for as much as 60-70k empty. I haven't done it personally, because I use mine to make mag boxes, but i've seen it happen in videos when people are making how tos or raid videos.

The regular 2x3 metal canisters that are worthless empty.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

ShowTime posted:

My go to newbie loadout was just an M9A3. Kill scavs, put as much in your secure container as you can and then start trying to surprise some players or loot dead bodies. Then I had enough to run slightly better loadouts and not sweat it. Running with just a pistol is the best way to start until you really get the game and the map layouts.

Especially this late in the wipe, this is horrible loving advice.

You'll be so outgunned that unless youre clicking heads youre just gonna lose your poo poo every time.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
the mosin is a complete piece of poo poo and a chore to use for the garbage quests where you have to

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TheTofuShop posted:

You'll be so outgunned that unless youre clicking heads youre just gonna lose your poo poo every time.

he's really not though, because as a new player you don't know the maps at all and will generally get dumpstered by experienced players regardless of your gear/pre-existing FPS skills - i.e. whether or not you lose your poo poo is pretty independent of what you start with, bringing in a pistol means low survival rate doesn't translate into real losses since failed runs can be paid for by stuffing a couple random items up your bum, and you can very often find better gear in-raid (off a scav or dead player castoffs or via looting)

going in knowing you're outgunned and focusing on learning maps + doing quests/killing scavs to level is probably one of the best approaches as a genuinely new player/while learning new maps

that said, it's more of a phase when you're doing basic map/game orientation, once you more-or-less get how customs is put together you definitely want to be packing something that will let you take out a player you get the drop on

(e: also using your scav is obviously a good idea, but you do need to learn PMC spawns and timing at some point as well, since the experience can be very different depending on the map - interchange is a great example)

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 14, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

doing a pistol run and seeing what you can kill and gear up with is fun times

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Stux posted:

doing a pistol run and seeing what you can kill and gear up with is fun times

of course, and yes, playing sneaky with a pistol is something you can certainly do when starting. but I just dont think its the first thing you should be doing. Maybe I took his advice as more literal than intended. I think the pistol only thing is more appropriate in the middle of starting out - you kinda know a couple maps (shoreline caches, customs) and you know to stay out of the way of trouble, and can orient yourself easily. Ideally this stage happens sooner rather than later but drat I've seen so many people bounce off the first 5 levels of the game.

The real advice is. join the discord. ask for help. dont be a dick.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

TheTofuShop posted:

Sure there are thicc boys running around but it just takes one tap to the face for my 15k loadout to become your 500k loadout. Not everyone runs a face mask. And not everyone runs that expensive stuff right now. I still do pistol runs from time to time and it works out well.

You play sneaky and like a rat. You get the jump on people, hit them in the head and upgrade that pistol when you can.

All for basically no risk. You get to learn the maps, the feel for the game, etc.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

hakimashou posted:

the mosin is a complete piece of poo poo and a chore to use for the garbage quests where you have to

How are you this wrong. Mosin is great. One shotting most players and taking their better guns is the best way to play. And you risk basically nothing since losing the gun and 10-15 rounds of 7n1 is a pittance.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TheTofuShop posted:

right the new players should be running better guns, like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I will say that when I first got Tarkov, I somehow watched a Pestily video where he went into customs with just a pistol (wasn't even labeled as zero to hero smh) and it inspired me to try the same thing. I tried this 5-6 times and had an awful experience, I think dying almost every time. Yeah maybe I learned the map a little but I couldn't even kill scavs consistently. An SKS or a mosin are much better super-cheap alternatives.

Re: mosin chat - yes you can single tap AKs, but at range I would prefer to have the one-shot-on-thorax potential of the mosin. Even the cheap lps gzh ammo can do this even up to class 4 iirc.