Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Affogatos are pretty great even with the worst espresso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mu Zeta posted:

Affogatos are pretty great even with the worst espresso

Ya, sugar and fat make just about any coffee good.

Speaking of coffee, I just roasted some costa rican swp decaf. Smells amazing already, looking forward to brewing it tmw:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mu Zeta posted:

If someone knows you like coffee and buys you a huge bag of "espresso roast" aka pre-ground crap then that's the time to use the pressurized portafilter.

Coffee makes great compost! Normally you brew it first, but you can always skip that step.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I always put a bit of coffee grounds in my chili. I should clarify that as fresh, or unextracted I guess.

There's an ice cream shop in Pittsburgh that has grounds available as a topping. I remember it being pretty good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh man this decaf is...good? Like I wouldn’t say it makes a remarkable drip but it’s hard to complain about it. Should try this as espresso.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Mu Zeta posted:

If someone knows you like coffee and buys you a huge bag of "espresso roast" aka pre-ground crap then that's the time to use the pressurized portafilter.

This is where half my cold-brew comes from. I cannot think of a good use for a pressurized portafilter, even as a hammer it fails.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Apologies in advance for asking another loaded, what espresso setup should I buy question.

My current setup is for pour-over; I make them with a V60 and a Virtuoso setup after having gone through an Encore and a LIDO-3.

I don't mind spending more on a setup that will last for hopefully a couple of decades and after doing some research on HB and CG, I'm thinking of going for a La Nuova Era Cuadra and either a Mazzer Mini or a Vario. For those who have many years of experience with long-running espresso setups, would this combination likely last for 10 - 20 years?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Has anyone used Craft Coffee for the subscription service before? I just put in an order after reading about them on Wirecutter as being the best deal. If you order 4 or more bags shipping is free and you pay wholesale prices. I grabbed 4x12oz bags for under $30 shipped. Saw some decent reviews on Reddit but it doesn't seem to be mind blowing, just pretty good. Things seem backed up though because my first order won't ship for a week.

Maybe we can start a referral chain? It gives you 15% off your first order and I get some discount on a future order.

code: jys-u5q

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also I was bored so I made the dalgona coffee today. Tastes like crap instant coffee with sugar.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Normally I work in the office 4 days a week. I do an aero press in the morning and one or two k-cups at work, and my wife uses a k-cup as a stay at home mom. We’ll do a French press on the weekends when we wake up at the same time.

Since I’m working from home all the time, I’m thinking of a technivorm moccamaster drip machine. That way I can make a pot in the morning and have 2 or 3 cups and my wife can have some decent coffee in the morning.

So my questions are:

1) will one pot make enough coffee for 4 actual cups of coffee? Like 8 oz pours.

2) how many grams of coffee would that use?

3) any recommendations besides the moccamaster? I drink all 3 cups within about 3 hours so I dunno how long it needs to stay warm for honestly. I also don’t need an auto-on tuner because I’ll grind the coffee in the morning before brewing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

nwin posted:

Normally I work in the office 4 days a week. I do an aero press in the morning and one or two k-cups at work, and my wife uses a k-cup as a stay at home mom. We’ll do a French press on the weekends when we wake up at the same time.

Since I’m working from home all the time, I’m thinking of a technivorm moccamaster drip machine. That way I can make a pot in the morning and have 2 or 3 cups and my wife can have some decent coffee in the morning.

So my questions are:

1) will one pot make enough coffee for 4 actual cups of coffee? Like 8 oz pours.

3) any recommendations besides the moccamaster? I drink all 3 cups within about 3 hours so I dunno how long it needs to stay warm for honestly. I also don’t need an auto-on tuner because I’ll grind the coffee in the morning before brewing.

I have the 9 cup Oxo which is very similar in mechanism. It is 45 ounces per full pot, and uses 73 grams of coffee. So, we get 2 16 ounce cups and a 12 ounce cup (2x 16 for me, one 12 for my wife).

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I really want a moccamaster as my next drip machine but I'm probably only person in world who still has a working Behmor Connected Brewer that somehow never dies and makes an amazing cup. As much as I want a Moccamaster since it's pretty all the other offerings seem better for daily use like a Breville or Bonavita. Hell even the Oxo seems pretty darn good and a great value

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 11, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Product names don't get much better than Technivorm Moccamaster.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We made that dalgona coffee with a quality instant espresso. It was fun and tasted ok. Made way more than we needed for 2 people and used the left over stuff top top off my coffee the next morning.

I might try it again pulling a shot off the espresso machine and adding a little xanthan gum to make it whip up.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nwin posted:

So my questions are:

I don’t have a mokkamaster but we use a bonavita bv1900ts for drip and couldn’t be more pleased, for the most part. The water tank holds a little more than 1300mL, so you should be able to get around five 8-ounce cups when full. Whatever you get, make sure you get a thermal carafe, and that you fill it with the hottest tap water before using it (otherwise it sucks the heat from your coffee). It’ll keep coffee pretty hot for a few hours.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

nwin posted:

So my questions are:

I have a Moccamaster with a 1.25 L capacity. I’ve been quite happy with it.

I do believe that it brews better coffee than the Ninja drip machine I have at work. People writing reviews say this is due to very rapid water heating elements, but I don’t know.

I find 1.25 L to be enough for me to drink two normal-to-slightly-large mugs and my wife to drink one when we’re at home. I go to .75 L if it’s just me.

The amount of coffee is a personal thing, as always. I am lazy and don’t weigh it out in grams, but tend to use less coffee than I do in a French press. I probably use three “scoops” of beans for 1.25 L (I think around 30-35g) of the light roast we’ve been drinking recently. With a darker roast sometimes I use a bit more, but it’s pretty unscientific for me.

I do not have a thermal carafe model, opting instead for the hot plate. I’ve been very happy with it. I haven’t noticed any scorching. The plate turns off after ~2 hours (I think it’s actually 100 minutes) but can be turned back on if desired. My model has a second switch that controls how hot the plate keeps the coffee, but I just leave it on the hotter setting.

The thing is neat looking and has a cool name, which are the most important features. It also makes good coffee (IMO) and is easy to clean, which I guess are also important.

I haven’t tried a bunch of other competitors so I have a hard time judging if it’s worth the price, but I’m happy with mine.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Amazon has the Moccamaster on sale right now too. I was tempted last time

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Amazon has the Moccamaster on sale right now too. I was tempted last time

Yeah I just bought it. It’s the glass carafe, but maybe I’ll like it. Plus I don’t have to preheat the glass carafe which seems like a plus for me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mu Zeta posted:

Has anyone used Craft Coffee for the subscription service before? I just put in an order after reading about them on Wirecutter as being the best deal. If you order 4 or more bags shipping is free and you pay wholesale prices. I grabbed 4x12oz bags for under $30 shipped. Saw some decent reviews on Reddit but it doesn't seem to be mind blowing, just pretty good. Things seem backed up though because my first order won't ship for a week.

Maybe we can start a referral chain? It gives you 15% off your first order and I get some discount on a future order.

code: jys-u5q

Trying to do this using your code but I can’t see anywhere to enter your referral code.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Could it be here to claim a gift?

https://www.craftcoffee.com/dna_gifts/claim

Not really sure how it works but it's cool if it doesn't work

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mu Zeta posted:

Could it be here to claim a gift?

https://www.craftcoffee.com/dna_gifts/claim

Not really sure how it works but it's cool if it doesn't work

That's what I thought, but it says the code is invalid. On another part of their site, it has an option to buy a gift, so I'm assuming that's where people go to redeem the gift and select the coffee they want, etc.

I sent them an e-mail since I checked on my laptop and still can't find anything. I'll try to hook you up with a referral at least.

edit: so it turns out you just do it during checkout with the "enter gift code". I tried that on Mobile, but either it wasn't working or I entered the wrong code.

Regardless, enjoy the free coffee! $26 after your discount isn't bad at all for 4 12-oz bags of coffee!

Here's my code if anyone wants to try: dea-vzj

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 12, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks it says I get a bag in my next delivery. I just hope the coffee is decent.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Does anybody have some recommendations for northeast-ish coffee roasters they really like? I have been brewing stuff from Flight almost exclusively. The coffee is fantastic and the people who work there are also great and super helpful. But now that I’m mail ordering everything I kind of just want to try something different.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just received the moccamaster KBG.

First thoughts-

1) I’m worried about breaking this glass carafe. It seems pretty thin.

2) can’t use the basket that comes with the KB and KBT, so I can’t select a “half pot” of coffee.

3) it looks really loving nice.

I’m gonna give it a go over the next few weeks and see how I like it, but I could see returning it for a KBT model based on the carafe alone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Just received the moccamaster KBG.

First thoughts-

1) I’m worried about breaking this glass carafe. It seems pretty thin.

2) can’t use the basket that comes with the KB and KBT, so I can’t select a “half pot” of coffee.

3) it looks really loving nice.

I’m gonna give it a go over the next few weeks and see how I like it, but I could see returning it for a KBT model based on the carafe alone.

This is the other reason I always recommend thermal carafes; I'm a klutz

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can you simply buy a thermal carafe later, or is it a whole different form factor and thus incompatible?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gunder posted:

Can you simply buy a thermal carafe later, or is it a whole different form factor and thus incompatible?
Nah seems like it would be too tall to fit in this one.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

i own every Bionicle posted:

Does anybody have some recommendations for northeast-ish coffee roasters they really like? I have been brewing stuff from Flight almost exclusively. The coffee is fantastic and the people who work there are also great and super helpful. But now that I’m mail ordering everything I kind of just want to try something different.

If DC/NoVA counts as the northeast, I've enjoyed coffee from Compass (Waypoint Blend), Swing's (Diplomat blend), and Rare Bird (Birdie Blend) - the first two as espresso, the latter as Aeropress. I've also heard great things about Qualia and Vigilante.

For mail order, I just got some beans from Onyx Coffee in Arkansas. They were roasted on the 6th and arrived two days later with free shipping. I tend to prefer dark roasts, since I have a single-boiler espresso machine that doesn't do well with light, but I've been able to get some great extractions of their Geometry blend.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If we're throwing Md area onto the mix I'll pimp out my local roaster. Mayorga Organics they do all fair trade, organic, direct from the farmers.
They aren't taking online orders right now due to the owner wanting his people to take some time for personal issues during this pandemic but they ate supposed to start taking orders again on 4/20(nice).
We usually go for the Muy Macho blend. They also do some more limited run single origins if that's your thing.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks for the suggestions. Wound up ordering a couple bags from George Howell, Costa Rica Tarazu and Ethiopia Nano Challa. They are well reviewed of course and pretty close to me.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Does anyone know of any drip coffee makers that work like this - you fill the base with water, and then it heat/cycles up to the top of the pot? I watched a video with a Krups that worked that way but I can't find the model online.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

colas posted:

Does anyone know of any drip coffee makers that work like this - you fill the base with water, and then it heat/cycles up to the top of the pot? I watched a video with a Krups that worked that way but I can't find the model online.

That’s probably a vacuum pot. I can’t find a Krups model but there is an OXO version (and a bunch of other ones as well of course).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

colas posted:

The Oxo does. As close to a pour over experience in a drip machine. Good machine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm looking at pourover carafes and the glass ones sound risky, are the thermal ones good? I just want something that isn't the random Pyrex measuring cup that happens to mostly fit the pourover.

Or should I get one of those fancy holders so it drips down into something? Or both? For making more than one cups' worth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just use a mason jar

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I just use a mason jar

Yeah but I'd like something that pours at least somewhat well.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

silvergoose posted:

I'm looking at pourover carafes and the glass ones sound risky

Why? Are you saying that something like the chemex, a design that's been around for almost 80 years, is "risky" rather than based on a tried and true design?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

To be honest I did have two Hario carafes break on me, but they are unusually thin and fragile. Mason jars and the chemex are much thicker.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I had a Hario and it didn't break, but I didn't bother taking it with me when I moved across the continent. I just sprung for a Chemex recently and it's definitely sturdier (on top of looking pretty nice).

All in all, I wouldn't worry about thermal shock or the like for dedicated brewing equipment, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jan posted:

Why? Are you saying that something like the chemex, a design that's been around for almost 80 years, is "risky" rather than based on a tried and true design?

It's the fragile glass thing, I'm inclined to assume if something is thinnish glass, I'm going to break it somehow.

Is there a chemex carafe only I can buy, which works with other pourovers?