Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

It takes 1/5 of members present to vote to demand a recorded vote after it's called for.

e: and R's could have built a quorum themselves if they wanted to, given the makeup of the chamber at the time.

the moon is not made of cheese, while we're discussing irrelevancies.

house democrats enthusiastically supported the measure you are characterizing as exclusively the fault of the republicans. what do you gain from trying to pretend otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Who the gently caress names their daughter "Porter".

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Yep, he's gonna be gone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

This feels more Orwellian than usual, but that might just be because the gaslighting is more coherent than when Trump does it.

i think its also trumps is such a dishonest idiot/rear end in a top hat that you dont know what he will do outside that he is lying to you constantly and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1249760437853401097

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah, he is a loving sociopath but he is one of the smart ones unlike trump. idk if he will survive if a blue wave happens this year(blue wave seems pretty likely though) that being said, i think trump might drag him down with him.

Beshear is probably going to save McConnell’s job.

If Bevin was still there Kentucky would be a charnel house by now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

syntaxrigger posted:

Fun fact about putting Vitalsigns on ignore is that you have to ignore people via the button instead of manually typing them in the list because when you click 'update list' it will not let you update because Vitalsigns is some kind of mod or something. The hilarity has a lot of layers is what I am saying.

what? I'm not a mod and I never have been, this place has some standards

AmiYumi posted:

Two people “UM, ACTUALLY”-ing at each other for multiple days about parliamentary procedure from a decade ago in the middle of a slew of generation-defining crises...well, does describe US Politics pretty accurately. But it’s still annoying white noise.

it's directly relevant to the crisis we're in now, the insolvency of the post office is a huge crisis and understanding how we got here is incredibly important

the disinterest in examining the causes of current problems is baffling to me, and the discourse around how the post office was destroyed is likewise completely baffling.

it is obvious that destroying the post office was a Republican goal and they succeeded in finding an underhanded way to hobble it financially so they could attack it later. but it is also patently obvious that their legislation could not have succeeded without at the very least Democratic consent, because it was passed in a lame duck session after the Democrats won the elections, and they didn't even filibuster it despite the fact that a short filibuster is all it would have taken to kill it for good, as the Democratic majority congress would be sworn in January 3rd. Any reasonable person should be willing to admit to these facts, and yet there's just pages of dancing around, and deflecting onto other irrelevancies, and bringing up obscure parliamentary issues to quibble over, all to avoid admitting the obvious that yes at the very least Democrats didn't care if it passed.

but whatever, if you don't want to talk about it, there's an ignore button you can click, doing so is a lot less disruptive than bitching for pages that people are talking politics in the politics thread

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 13, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kiss my rear end Bernie, you were too weak and too nice, you failed as the vehicle of left victory, and you're no longer needed. if biden doesnt give us the policies you can take your endorsement and gently caress off.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

At least it'll be funny hearing them talk with Biden being brain dead and Sanders being sentient.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Of all the succdems never Biden/Trump cannot lose crowd that haunt the primary thread to this very day, VitalSigns is by far the best, and while I think he's super wrong and defends Ted Rall way too much, he's the spice in the D&D cookie.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I would laugh if Biden announces that he will run as Bernie's VP. :kiddo:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dick Trauma posted:

I would laugh if Biden announces that he will run as Bernie's VP. :kiddo:

Worse things could happen

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Next time, no more soft cowards like Bernie who considered people like Biden as 'their friend'. gently caress offf.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Al-Saqr posted:

Next time, no more soft cowards like Bernie who considered people like Biden as 'their friend'. gently caress offf.

turns out being personally pleasant to work with is an asset

it's also one of Biden's fundamental flaws lol, because he also got along at a personal level with Republicans

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Kiss my rear end Bernie, you were too weak and too nice, you failed as the vehicle of left victory, and you're no longer needed. if biden doesnt give us the policies you can take your endorsement and gently caress off.

hope he sees this bro

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That was a fast transition to "Well actually, Bernie was always a loser."

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Fallom posted:

It's as if presidential elections had been about tribalism, and not candidates all along.....

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Yuzenn posted:

It's as if presidential elections had been about tribalism, and not candidates all along.....

Ah yes, but have you considered the candidate that we can all rally behind: Madame Guillotine

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

“It’s disappointing that so many of the medical experts and pundits pontificating in the press appear tone deaf to the very significant losses of life and blows to American families that may result from an extended economic shutdown,” Mr. Navarro said in an interview with The New York Times.

“Instead, they piously preen on their soap boxes speaking only half of the medical truth without reference or regard for the other half of the equation,” he said, “which is the very real mortal dangers associated with the closure of the economy for an extended period.”

Peter Navarro is willing to accept the risk of you dying to keep his stocks up. :fuckoff:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The most Cursed image

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1249767683802923016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Fallom posted:

It's marginally better than a deep-state-DNC conspiracy theory that could have been going around instead.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I still can't believe the absolute insanity of these "But the economy!" people.

It's not just that they're willing to let people die to help their portfolio. It's that it wouldn't even do that. You know what will be really horrible for the economy? An awful second wave that fucks up the entire summer and leaves people too terrified to leave their house until a vaccine is out.

Anyone who knows Econ or even Business 101 knows that uncertainty is the absolute worst thing. A steady understandable pause is so much better than a bad series of re-openings. These are just cargo cultists trying to make sacrifices to make the number go up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lighthizer is a tariff-liker, china-hater, and driver of trump's trade policy in general, which is bad

but he's somewhat competent at keeping the lights on, unlike *waves hand*

not sure i'm excited to have him on this specific panel

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

At least in a Biden administration you would have competent technocrats in these roles, not the President's moron daughter, her trust fund failson husband and a fox news drunk.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wonder why Art Laffer didn’t make the cut.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wonder why Art Laffer didn’t make the cut.

too obvious maybe. idk

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

At least in a Biden administration you would have competent technocrats in these roles, not the President's moron daughter, her trust fund failson husband and a fox news drunk.

I mean really this is such an amazing tableau of incompetence. We have

- A balanced-budget amendment hawk (Meadows)
- Unqualified nepotism spot (Ivanka)
- Idiot Failson in law (Kushner)
- Actual Bond Villian (Mnuchin)
- Reaganite Wall Street Cokehead (Kudlow)
- China-hating Tariff lover (Lightizer)
and
- Actual "King of Bankruptcy" (Ross)

The Magnificent 7 they aren't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mcmagic posted:

Yeah Biden gets his failsons jobs in other countries instead

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

At the risk of being reminded that we haven't had a mattering yet, if the USPS shuts down that might be the first thing that causes our senior citizen citizenry to realize they've been hosed over. Fox News can tell them anything it wants, that's not going to hide the fact that the mail's stopped coming and going. It'll gently caress over every small business (still in) existence, too.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

What sucks is that this will get completely buried and forgotten.

https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1249767978448625665?s=21

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's cool that the president's idiot children get to work for the administration in extremely important roles.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

1glitch0 posted:

At least it'll be funny hearing them talk with Biden being brain dead and Sanders being sentient.

Right now it'd be nice to live in an old sitcom version of reality where Joe Biden sees how passionate Bernie is at this event, has a moment of introspection, and turns to him and says "you deserve the nomination, not me" and the Perfect Strangers theme plays

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah Biden gets his failsons jobs in other countries instead

and Amtrack

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I still can't believe the absolute insanity of these "But the economy!" people.

It's not just that they're willing to let people die to help their portfolio. It's that it wouldn't even do that. You know what will be really horrible for the economy? An awful second wave that fucks up the entire summer and leaves people too terrified to leave their house until a vaccine is out.

Anyone who knows Econ or even Business 101 knows that uncertainty is the absolute worst thing. A steady understandable pause is so much better than a bad series of re-openings. These are just cargo cultists trying to make sacrifices to make the number go up.

yeah it's all magical thinking

they believe every problem will be solved by the free market if the government gets out of the way and lets the free market work

it doesn't matter that 59% of Americans don't want to open up the economy too soon, that 72% of Americans would refuse to attend sports games without a vaccine, and even among sports fans 61% still wouldn't, or that 77% of Americans are uncomfortable going to a restaurant.

Any realistic analysis of those facts would show that the industries impacted by the shutdowns are hosed regardless of whether mandatory closures are rolled back, because most of those businesses can't keep their doors open with that kind of fall in revenue anyway. And that's not going to change until the coronavirus crisis is over, prolonging the crisis with a second wave of infections is the worst thing you can do to the economy.

But, the free market is a religion, if the market is free then the economy will grow, no matter what.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 13, 2020

Gadfly
Dec 21, 2018

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact."
edit: sorry already posted

Gadfly fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 13, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fallom posted:

That's the neat thing about constant purity purges; eventually you get purged for being impure.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sarcastr0 posted:

Of all the succdems never Biden/Trump cannot lose crowd that haunt the primary thread to this very day, VitalSigns is by far the best, and while I think he's super wrong and defends Ted Rall way too much, he's the spice in the D&D cookie.

...wait, hold on, is there seriously someone who is defending Ted "dipshit Gen-X compulsive contrarian" Rall??

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

VitalSigns posted:

it's directly relevant to the crisis we're in now, the insolvency of the post office is a huge crisis and understanding how we got here is incredibly important

the disinterest in examining the causes of current problems is baffling to me, and the discourse around how the post office was destroyed is likewise completely baffling.

it is obvious that destroying the post office was a Republican goal and they succeeded in finding an underhanded way to hobble it financially so they could attack it later. but it is also patently obvious that their legislation could not have succeeded without at the very least Democratic consent, because it was passed in a lame duck session after the Democrats won the elections, and they didn't even filibuster it despite the fact that a short filibuster is all it would have taken to kill it for good, as the Democratic majority congress would be sworn in January 3rd. Any reasonable person should be willing to admit to these facts, and yet there's just pages of dancing around, and deflecting onto other irrelevancies, and bringing up obscure parliamentary issues to quibble over, all to avoid admitting the obvious that yes at the very least Democrats didn't care if it passed.

but whatever, if you don't want to talk about it, there's an ignore button you can click, doing so is a lot less disruptive than bitching for pages that people are talking politics in the politics thread

Goddamn, shut up. We put up with Nic Cage/movie/turd shower stuff, shut up. Dems bad, we get it

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

Goddamn, shut up. We put up with Nic Cage/movie/turd shower stuff, shut up. Dems bad, we get it

that's the thing, though: it very much seems you do not get it

there are people who persist in telling frankly bizarre lies about those events, all in the name of pretending that the people actively taking steps to make America a worse place are secretly good actually.

it's extremely strange to watch.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fallom posted:

Bernie, like all American politicians, is Bad. He is a war criminal and a mass murderer, just by his 2001 AUMF vote alone he would on trial at the Hague in a just world

the only reason people support him is that our hosed up electoral system imposes dreadful compromises on anyone who wants to work within it, and one of those compromises is that nearly everyone in politics is a war criminal.

Bernie is much better than most politicians, so much better that compared to them he looks like he is almost good, but he is still very very bad, and if you don't know that, it's time to learn how the world works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

VitalSigns posted:

:words:

Actually my bad, it was Calibanibal. I got it twisted apologies.