Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MariannaNBCNews/status/1249762018976038915?s=20

Bernie endorses Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Oh good, now Biden can't lose. :geno:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

There's a class of diseased brains that always interprets an effective response to a problem to mean that the problem never existed.

And they're running the country now, so we're gonna do fine.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

Bernie endorses Biden

It's going to legitimately help a lot that Bernie and Biden genuinely like each other.

Added bonus: all of the swing states besides Texas (lol) already have no-excuse absentee vote-by-mail systems. Didn't know that until the other day!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Does not matter at all.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BigDave posted:

Oh good, now Biden can't lose. :geno:

Please take it to the GE thread.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

for real, it's lonely in there and I like to reserve this space for making sick dunks on Boeing

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919432&pagenumber=4&perpage=40

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

In graduate school I took a class on data visualization. The teacher was a neuroscientist and she made us read a bunch of studies on how people interpret graphs.

People really like fancy graphs, but if you ask them what it means, they fail at basic understanding. The long and short is unless it’s a line graph or bar graph (and not a stacked par graph) the majority of people can’t understand it.

My name is Waro and here is a thing I know about professionally. People want to see fancy graphs with many colors and lines and levels until they need to make a decision and than they want to filter out all the noise and look at a simple line graph or bar chart or potentially just a single number displayed cleanly and clearly. This is so just standard that the data visualization platform I manage has graphs that we only show during sales demos. Implementation and Support teams never ever use them and the client never asks to see them again because it looks fuckin sweet and makes you feel like you are doing very smart buisnessy things like a real big dick executive to fly through layers and filters and overlays but are loving useless in application.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Listen here jack, real Americans wanna go to the Applebees and not listen to some egghead tell them everything is canceled.

half price apps :patriot:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bernie just told me to vote Biden and I'mma tell him what I told all of you.

Suck My Dick From The Back

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Please take it to the GE thread.

ty for ur service forums moderator. :patriot:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Virginia joins the marijuana cool crew and decriminalizes.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/4/13/21158103/virginia-marijuana-legalization-decriminalization

quote:

On Sunday, Gov. Ralph Northam (D) announced he signed a bill that will eliminate jail time for simple marijuana possession, leaving only a civil penalty with a fine in place for the first offense. Northam previously said decriminalization was a priority for him, and the newly elected Democratic-controlled legislature soon followed his lead.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So they're still writing tickets for possession that will ruin people's lives forever because all those civil tickets show up on background checks. Right? Am I misunderstanding the bill?

Why is everything the democrats do some awful convoluted compromise that just fucks poor people more and more.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Most every state that legalizes still takes the decriminalization route. Tickets will probably be doled out to idiots smoking in public or making it very obvious that they don't care from their balconies or whatever. Reducing weed to a low priority crime is a good first step.

This largely just means you get a ticket instead of a year probation for a joint.

Of course the best thing to do is not get caught in the first place.

E: what's weird to think about is that Mississippi took this step like twenty goddamn years ago and they still don't have legal weed.

Forums being weird for anyone else?

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 13, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

So they're still writing tickets for possession that will ruin people's lives forever because all those civil tickets show up on background checks. Right? Am I misunderstanding the bill?

Why is everything the democrats do some awful convoluted compromise that just fucks poor people more and more.

So the answer for will it show up on a background check is it depends. Background checks can have varying levels of thoroughness. The background checks most employers use generally won't see it, because your basic cheap background check is looking for arrests and convictions. So speeding tickets, and other fines generally get ignored by those checks. Some companies will do more through background checks that will include civil fines. But those take more time and thus cost more. For stuff like Pre-check or a security clearance it will show up and if they care depends on who is looking.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Most every state that legalizes still takes the decriminalization route. Tickets will probably be doled out to idiots smoking in public or making it very obvious that they don't care from their balconies or whatever. Reducing weed to a low priority crime is a good first step.

This largely just means you get a ticket instead of a year probation for a joint.

Of course the best thing to do is not get caught in the first place.

E: what's weird to think about is that Mississippi took this step like twenty goddamn years ago and they still don't have legal weed.

Forums being weird for anyone else?

Yes, it's been super slow for the last few hours.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pryor on Fire posted:

VA isn't anywhere close to fully legalizing even if Lee Carter or someone else proposed a bill to do so. They're taking steps to get there and this is a good step towards getting there but it's likely the political will to push through full legalization isn't quite there yet. You've also got several state's attorneys who said prior to this happening that they wouldn't let their offices pursue any simple possession charges, so there's that as well.

The alternative is Corey Stewart and the GOP continuing to hold on tight to both houses of the state legislature and none of this poo poo coming to pass. VA has been killing it with good legislation as of late too (just made Election day a holiday and took away Lee-Jackson day, as well as no-excuse absentee/mail in ballot voting), so I'm not gonna lose sleep over this.

Also yes, forums are loading incredibly slow for me right now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Another interesting thing, most states with medical marijuana have public facing records of who is a card holder.

This is helpful to know if you plan to get a card and buy firearms, because the fed still looks at medical as criminal drug use, so buy your guns before you get a medical card.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 13, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pryor on Fire posted:

So they're still writing tickets for possession
Yes.

Pryor on Fire posted:

that will ruin people's lives forever
That's a little hyperbolic, but...

Pryor on Fire posted:

because all those civil tickets show up on background checks.
Nope! The same law that decriminalized MJ makes the tickets non-reportable for background checks.

quote:

A person's criminal history record information as defined in § 9.1-101 shall not include records of any charges or judgments for a violation of this section, and records of such charges or judgments shall not be reported to the Central Criminal Records Exchange.
and further, forbids employers, educational institutions, and state and local governments from asking about decriminalized MJ cases and releases defendants from any duty of revealing that information to employers, educational institutions, and state and local governments.

link to the bill

e:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Another interesting thing, most states with medical marijuana have public facing records of who is a card holder.

This is helpful to know if you plan to get a card and buy firearms, because the fed still looks at medical as criminal drug use, so buy your guns before you get a medical card.
Which is also one of the exceptions to the non-use of records for decriminalized MJ tickets in the Virginia bill.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 13, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone here ages ago posted something about some bill in committee that was attempting to rectify that but I can't remember any specifics.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Obviously it didn't pass, but it'd be nice.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Someone here ages ago posted something about some bill in committee that was attempting to rectify that but I can't remember any specifics.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Obviously it didn't pass, but it'd be nice.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/2071

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

I seriously dont understand how there haven't been public assassination attempts

because he isn't black.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

MRC48B posted:

because he isn't black.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

MRC48B posted:

because he isn't black.

lol what

Hey remember all those public attempts on Obama?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

???

There were several attempts that were stopped in the planning/preparation stages. Hell, some dinguses were going to try at the 2008 DNC.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Elmnt80 posted:

???

There were several attempts that were stopped in the planning/preparation stages. Hell, some dinguses were going to try at the 2008 DNC.

In my mind a public assassination attempt is like what happened to Reagan and Ford, where someone walks up to the rope line with a gun.

Or Clinton, where someone crashed a plane into the White House.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52269671

quote:

The Nintendo Switch's current best-selling game has been removed from Chinese online stores after activists used it to criticise the state.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

As other posters have asserted, the Secret Service is much, much more thorough than back in the 80s-90s.

They got all these guys early, but that doesn't mean they were all talk. The X-ray plot itself is pretty wild.

EDIT: reminder that George W almost got fragged with a hand grenade.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Elmnt80 posted:

???

Were the DNC guys the same ones who had a meth lab in the back of their car?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

MRC48B posted:

EDIT: reminder that George W almost got fragged with a hand grenade.

Also a couple of shoes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Also a couple of shoes.

Based on his shoe reaction time he would've tossed the grenade back at whoever threw it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are you saying he should have.... cooked the shoes?

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are you saying he should have.... cooked the shoes?

With a grenade in em, ya

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

spicy chancletas

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

hobbesmaster posted:

Based on his shoe reaction time he would've tossed the grenade back at whoever threw it.

Bush should just signed with the Astros as a relief pitcher, we would have all been off a lot better.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Republicans might've hosed themselves out of a State Senate seat with their pandemic horseshit. Karofsky's the Democrat and she's currently favored.

https://twitter.com/WisVoter/status/1249828839032852484

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

Bush should just signed with the Astros as a relief pitcher, we would have all been off a lot better.

Other parallel universe options include MLB commissioner dubya making everyone forget about steroids using folksy charm.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

In graduate school I took a class on data visualization. The teacher was a neuroscientist and she made us read a bunch of studies on how people interpret graphs.

People really like fancy graphs, but if you ask them what it means, they fail at basic understanding. The long and short is unless it’s a line graph or bar graph (and not a stacked par graph) the majority of people can’t understand it.

I don't suppose this was at the University of Washington, Princeton, or Boston U? My ex taught a class like that, same background.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Since "OMG Trump" is currently trending, I should probably ask what hornet's nest Roasted Chicken Hairpiece is (E:) currently dipping his dick into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Since "OMG Trump" is currently trending, I should probably ask what hornet's nest Roasted Chicken Hairpiece is dipping his dick into

Played a campaign video at the press conference, is doubling down that he alone can make everything reopen whenever he wants, you know, the usual.

facialimpediment posted:

Republicans might've hosed themselves out of a State Senate seat with their pandemic horseshit. Karofsky's the Democrat and she's currently favored.

https://twitter.com/WisVoter/status/1249828839032852484

:lol: if this happens.