Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Can’t wait for nobody with a star to be held accountable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1249760758914846720?s=20

Nothing like making that translant voyage and being told you've got at least three more weeks sitting off the east coast

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For non-navy people in the audience ET1(SW) translates to Electronic Technician, Petty Officer 1st class, Surface Warfare Qualification. An E-6. Your warfare qualification being generally considered your big transition around your 3 year point of your enlistment into being regarded as fully useful and no longer a NUB (non-useful body)

But also for the non-navy people in the audience it it pretty common for nukes to make E-6 on their first enlistment baring substantial fuckups, because nukes are so miserable and hard to retain that they can't even fill E-7 and E-8 billets fast enough.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Reading that nuke's twitter thread and seeing "River City" made me get "Oh gently caress oh gently caress" chills and I'm half a world away, jesus gently caress

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I started out as a nuke, managed to failbail in A school, got reclassed to OS, kept E-3 from boot. Best move in my career (of 4 yrs). Was the senior man/class leader in my OS class in Dam Neck.
Rode a DDG for 2 and a half years after that.

The recruiter hosed me by getting me to sign up for Nuke, but never mentioned I should actually take a physics class in high school.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1249760758914846720?s=20

Nothing like making that translant voyage and being told you've got at least three more weeks sitting off the east coast

Article posted:

During this time, the strike group will go through advanced training scenarios, similar to the pre-deployment Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX) that serves as a graduation exercise before the strike group is certified to deploy, Lewis said during a call today with reporters.

nothing like a good deal end of deployment c2x to boost morale, as they watch their loved ones suffer literally within sight of them

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Red Crown posted:

nothing like a good deal end of deployment c2x to boost morale, as they watch their loved ones suffer literally within sight of them

I know that nothing I'd want to do more at the end of deployment and being near the top of your game is to dive back into Treasure Coast. Unless you can just gently caress around.

1MC: "Away the SNOOPIE Team, away. Low slow flyer port side."

Immediately from the I&W watch "Yeah, TAO, it's gonna blow us up. Better shoot it down"

TAO "How do you know that so quick?"

I&W shrug

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Someone on the Kaimana Hila thought they had COVID. By the time they got to a hospital and tested positive for strep, half the crew had quit off and the company was worried about having to lay up the vessel for a 2 week quarantine. Good luck navy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Someone on the Kaimana Hila thought they had COVID. By the time they got to a hospital and tested positive for strep, half the crew had quit off and the company was worried about having to lay up the vessel for a 2 week quarantine. Good luck navy.

hahaha nice

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ex-Navy nuke has a twitter thread on why it's kinda nice to have a healthy nuke crew on a carrier.

https://twitter.com/KimWooster11/status/1249480330404417538

loving pro-click, right here.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Can’t wait for nobody with a star to be held accountable

I mean, it took down a (acting) service secretary. I agree his head shouldn't be alone on a pike, but this was bigger than stars.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Only because he flew around the world to step on his dick. Careerist admirals know better than to do their rear end-chewings over the 1MC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dorstein posted:

Only because he flew around the world to step on his dick. Careerist admirals know better than to do their rear end-chewings over the 1MC.

He couldn’t help but hover-manage.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Gotta turn those red boxes green shipmate. :chiefsay:

The cynic in me says the Navy and DOD are banking on the upcoming economic downturn to get warm bodies in positions as soon as they can recruit.

You should preface every one of your posts with "In my experience,"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ex-Navy nuke has a twitter thread on why it's kinda nice to have a healthy nuke crew on a carrier.

https://twitter.com/KimWooster11/status/1249480330404417538

Enterprise really sucked, I'd hate to imagine losing personnel from reactor department on the tight staffing they had. A Nimitz might have less reactors but the crew complement difference between Big E and a Nimitz is mostly because reactor department was drat near a third of the crew on the Enterprise, so relative staffing on the watches for the reactors is probably the same.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 14, 2020

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

vulturesrow posted:

You should preface every one of your posts with "In my experience,"

For me it should probably be "In my experience, as a JO who knows nothing..."

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dorstein posted:

This may not be the most elaborate long-distance dick-stepping of all time, but it's certainly a strong contender for the title.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

For me it should probably be "In my experience, as a JO who knows nothing..."

Yeah that was the joke....

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah that was the joke....

Just kidding around, I know I still got a lot to learn...:v:

Also looks like a travel ban extension is coming.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1250455477340852229?s=20

More COVID cases

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Just kidding around, I know I still got a lot to learn...:v:

Also looks like a travel ban extension is coming.

Yeah. We'll see how this fucks with our MOBs. Anything more than 60 days, and it might straight up get cancelled. >_>

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. We'll see how this fucks with our MOBs. Anything more than 60 days, and it might straight up get cancelled. >_>

I’m not so sure. I’m replacing people who need to rotate out.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

2 americans and 668 french. So far.

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/15/two-u-s-sailors-on-french-carrier-charles-de-gaulle-test-positive-for-covid-19

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Did the captain get fired and called an idiot yet?

Also whats up with it always being ~14 day quarantine~ when there have been cases that took up to 27 days.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ded posted:

Also whats up with it always being ~14 day quarantine~ when there have been cases that took up to 27 days.

The median incubation period for COVID-19 is just over 5 days and that 97.5% of people who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of infection. 14 days is good enough to catch anything but the worst outliers.

That 27 day case would be hard to swallow since they can't rule out additional exposures after the initial one unless it was a locked down sterile facility somehow.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ded posted:

Don't forget that nobody seems to really be testing for it. Enjoy those asymptomatic carriers on your carrier after ratfucking everyone out of any enjoyment for 2 weeks before deployment for the mission.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m not so sure. I’m replacing people who need to rotate out.

Yeah. The guy I'm relieving isn't set to depart until June. So...

Sure. It's probably not getting cancelled, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to temporarily demob me to take me off the Navy payroll until I actually report to ECRC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I don’t think so. It’s your primary job right now to stay healthy so they can move you forward as quick as possible. At least that’s why my ECRC chief told me. Also didn’t they say something about all the NOSCs having to do the ECRC paperwork locally now to minimize who would have to go to Norfolk?

Massive game of hurry up and wait.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I see a future lat move to SWO

https://mobile.twitter.com/shahtyris/status/1250374943428272128

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao he's loving arguing with a 3 star, he's gonna go real far

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I just wanna say I'm glad that our Marine LT who piped up in this thread and showed their rear end had the self consciousness to not show their rear end on Twitter to a three star.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Goons are dumb, goons in the military more so.

But most of us aren't THAT dumb

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

Goons are dumb, goons in the military more so.

But most of us aren't THAT dumb

:laugh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is the guy who the troops salute while warning him about snipers in the area.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

For everything else wrong with the community, being weird about short haircuts is never something I have observed with SWOs.

Also, looool

Ty@shahtyris
Follow
@IslandCampus BS ‘17
@UofOklahoma MA ‘19.
Non-Partisan Views, Reading, Writing, and CrossFit. Globetrotting Paratrooper, Practicing Statesman. Texan.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
^ his profile is all over the instagram military meme pages as well.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I don't know how he expects people to get a haircut when all the barbers are closed. Ah well, LTs gonna LT :jerkbag:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BTW, I just keep reading because watching a butterbar get absolutely dragged has been the highlight of my morning.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

no dig up, stupid

https://mobile.twitter.com/shahtyris/status/1250440073377505280

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Christ what an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

I wonder what he thinks of Army SF and the frogmen upholding the standard of growing hobo beards and mullets on their deployment and surviving combat