Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

What can I say? Pleather is my pleasure.

Imagine this, but he’s saying pleather instead of leisure.

https://youtu.be/OwDmg74rhCw?t=0m52s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

While you guys are on pepper chat could you answer a question for me? My supervisor gave us hot peppers he grew and I'm not sure what one of them was. He told us it was called purple naga but looking up pics of it looks like the purple naga is a ghost pepper which isn't what this was. Longish, smooth, purple. Had a really interesting flavor, spicy with a sweet flavor that was almost akin to Dr. Pepper or some sorta cola.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Good point keep talkin posted:

While you guys are on pepper chat could you answer a question for me? My supervisor gave us hot peppers he grew and I'm not sure what one of them was. He told us it was called purple naga but looking up pics of it looks like the purple naga is a ghost pepper which isn't what this was. Longish, smooth, purple. Had a really interesting flavor, spicy with a sweet flavor that was almost akin to Dr. Pepper or some sorta cola.

Purple Marconi maybe?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok so I meant to buy short ribs and I got shirt cut spare ribs instead. I’m not sure if it’s the same thing but they have bones in the middles of them. I was going to do a galbi marinade and grill but should I braise these instead? I can’t really slice them as thin as I’d like because of the bone.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
COVID means making do, and today I discovered that even without soda water, I can make a fantastic highball using galeffi effervescente.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My easter prime rib is in the oven (it's probably going to take like 8 hours) and I'm making greens and yorkshire puddings. I'm debating making a béarnaise. I normally don't and let the beef shine through. Any other ideas or thoughts?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

This happy little guy is in the smoker. Mmmmmmmmmmm

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Why no skin though? Cheek is awesome

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Croatoan posted:

Why no skin though? Cheek is awesome

Because that’s a cow. Not a pig

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Croatoan posted:

My easter prime rib is in the oven (it's probably going to take like 8 hours) and I'm making greens and yorkshire puddings. I'm debating making a béarnaise. I normally don't and let the beef shine through. Any other ideas or thoughts?

Gravy made with the beef dripping, flour, beef stock, red wine and lots of black pepper is my go to with roast beast. How could you possible make yorkshire pudding better? By adding more beef fat in the form of gravy, of course!

Bearnaise also of course makes everything better.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Horseradish with beef is awesome.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

therattle posted:

Horseradish with beef is awesome.

It really is. One of my favourite simple beef dishes is a very thinly pounded piece och beef, think shcnitzel thicknes (usually called an elephant ear here in Sweden), fried quickly at a high temeperature and served with a large heap of freshly grated horseradish, an egg yolk and the potato product of your choice. Potato pureé is nice.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Got some ribs started

Gonna Sous vide them for 36 hours and oven finish them

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 12, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DekeThornton posted:

It really is. One of my favourite simple beef dishes is a very thinly pounded piece och beef, think shcnitzel thicknes (usually called an elephant ear here in Sweden), fried quickly at a high temeperature and served with a large heap of freshly grated horseradish, an egg yolk and the potato product of your choice. Potato pureé is nice.

I wish there was a drool emoticon.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Another good one is toast Pelle Janzon. Take a slice of white bread and fry it in butter.till crispy. Then take a piece of tenderloin and pound it really thin, think carpaccio, Then drape it over the bread, add a ring of very finley chopped red onion, chopped parsley and put an egg yolk in the ring. Grate on horseradish to taste and a finish with a dollop of vendace roe, or similar. Salt and pepper to taste. It's usually served as a starter.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 12, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi GWS! What did y’all do for Easter?

I spent my Easter planting 10 apple trees.

... at night.

... and as of 1:30 AM local time I’ve only gotten 6 of them in the ground.

The only reason I stopped to post this is because my LED lantern ran out of juice and I had to recharge it for a bit.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

lol I finally finished planting all 10 of them

at exactly 5 AM

and I still have 3 other fruit trees to plant

I should wash my hands again before I go to bed but...... gently caress that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

I. M. Gei posted:

lol I finally finished planting all 10 of them

at exactly 5 AM

and I still have 3 other fruit trees to plant

I should wash my hands again before I go to bed but...... gently caress that

Gross, your sheets would be dirty??

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi GWS! What did y’all do for Easter?

... at night.

... and as of 1:30 AM local time I’ve only gotten 6 of them in the ground.

The only reason I stopped to post this is because my LED lantern ran out of juice and I had to recharge it for a bit.

It's actually better to plant trees at night, the little invisible hairs on the roots fry in direct sunlight.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

So, I broke down and made Alton Brown's Yeast Donuts.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/yeast-doughnuts-recipe-1942740

It's a loving AB recipe, so it's finicky and weird, but it was worth it, the donuts are loving delicious! Super light and fluffy, with a nice light flavor to them, tastes of milk and nutmeg. Two packs of yeast seemed like way overkill, but it made for VERY fluffy donuts!

Sidebar: buying that microplane 10 years ago was transformative, I haven't used preground nutmeg since. Fresh ground nutmeg is really amazing.

I found out where the traditional donut shape comes from: if you make a disk the size of standard donut, you'll get a slight indentation where the fat won't get to, so the middle on one side ends up undercooked and a little soggy. This is why the big fat rectangular donuts have to be fried in a rack that completely submerses them. The toroid also maximizes the surface area to volume ratio, so it's not just evenly crispy, it's max crispy. Still, shaping them was a pain in the rear end, so next time I think I would just make large donut holes and no donuts (disks like 1 - 1.5 inches in diameter).

Since I'm cooped up for Corona, and it's a pretty big batch, I filled up paper bags and played donut fairy, making secret dead drops to my friends and then texting them as I drove away.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 13, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Squashy Nipples posted:

The toroid also maximizes the surface area to volume ratio, so it's not just evenly crispy, it's max crispy.

The Menger Sponge donut would like a word with you.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Since I'm cooped up for Corona, and it's a pretty big batch, I filled up paper bags and played donut fairy, making secret dead drops to my friends and then texting them as I drove away.

A good friend. We made a brunch delivery yesterday to some friends :3:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I’m about to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30lbs of smoked rendered beef fat. Any cool ideas for stuff to do with it?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi GWS! What did yall do for Easter?

... at night.

... and as of 1:30 AM local time Ive only gotten 6 of them in the ground.

I spent mine at work. I got my prep finished like an hour before I was supposed to leave in addition to doing my normal work stuff. And that was just because I was slacking on it. I got to 1 with everything swept, trash taken out, and I think all I had left to do was putting day dots on like two things.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Squashy Nipples posted:

buying that microplane 10 years ago

You know what'll be even more transformative? Replacing it! After 10 years that thing's probably dull as hell, I'm surprised it can get through nutmeg. They should definitely be replaced every so often. Everyone go ahead and get a new microplane and thank me later.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Doom Rooster posted:

I’m about to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30lbs of smoked rendered beef fat. Any cool ideas for stuff to do with it?

french fries!

prayer group posted:

You know what'll be even more transformative? Replacing it! After 10 years that thing's probably dull as hell, I'm surprised it can get through nutmeg. They should definitely be replaced every so often. Everyone go ahead and get a new microplane and thank me later.

depends, if it still makes nice little nutmeg shreds, a new one isn't going to make any difference to your recipe. not like you're finely dicing a nutmeg with one.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Gravy made with the beef dripping, flour, beef stock, red wine and lots of black pepper is my go to with roast beast. How could you possible make yorkshire pudding better? By adding more beef fat in the form of gravy, of course!

Bearnaise also of course makes everything better.

I do the serious eats reverse sear method which renders almost no drippings. So I ended up with popovers instead of yorkshire puddings (basically the same thing just uses butter) Yay for juicy steak but boo for any jus. I went with the béarnaise but I absolutely should have made a horseradish sauce instead. I will do that next time. Still, it was a killer meal.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I found out where the traditional donut shape comes from: if you make a disk the size of standard donut, you'll get a slight indentation where the fat won't get to, so the middle on one side ends up undercooked and a little soggy.
This is a story that appears to trace back to an individual claiming credit for inventing a food item. My problem with this theory is that the origin story offered to support it makes no sense. The doughnut appears to be a descendant of the oliebol (and similar sweet dough dumplings). Which absolutely do no come out soggy and uncooked in the middle, because they're not disc-shaped. They're (unfilled) spheres.

So this theory asks us to believe that people were making wee spherical doughnuts--basically what we'd now call doughnut holes--which work perfectly fine, and they eventually started making the familiar ring-shaped doughnuts, which also work perfectly fine. And in the middle of this is some bizarre interregnum in which everyone decided to start making disc-shaped doughnuts--which were apparently uniformly terrible--waiting patiently for a precocious teen cook and his documentarian mum to have an implausible encounter with a nautical pepper tin to save us all.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I would imagine people just wanted to size the ball up and ring was the right shape to do it. I doubt it really came from one person.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 13, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Or people just took some dough and formed it into a ring. Which is something people have been doing with dough for approximately as long as dough has existed.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

did they gently caress the dough

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

`This looks kinda like a pussy' does in fact seem to be the unsubtle subtext for a lot of ring-shaped baked goods. Some of the earliest references to bagels, for example, mention that they were traditionally made to celebrate childbirth.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BrianBoitano posted:

did they gently caress the dough

We all know the answer to this question

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
https://twitter.com/michelmelamed/status/1249163016995844100

2 4 D

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

8 0 0 8 1 3 5

Hauki
May 11, 2010

2 4 A

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SubG posted:

8 0 0 8 1 3 5

nice

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster posted:

Non-vegetarian-friendly orgy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

depends on how strong it is and if there's other flavors in it, but it would prob make a fuckin dope flavoring oil for ramen or other soups.

or you could confit something, I bet a confit beef tongue or shank in the smoked fat would be great.

make smoked beef fat mayo

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 14, 2020

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

The Menger Sponge donut would like a word with you.

Borg Donut.

SubG posted:

Or people just took some dough and formed it into a ring. Which is something people have been doing with dough for approximately as long as dough has existed.

Yeah, it's sort of like how most ancient cultures independently invented the comb, or how tiered stacked pyramids all look the same.

If I can figure it out fooling around with dough for a few minutes, it's not like it's some sort of secret lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Squashy Nipples posted:

Borg Donut.

Yeah, it's sort of like how most ancient cultures independently invented the comb, or how tiered stacked pyramids all look the same.

If I can figure it out fooling around with dough for a few minutes, it's not like it's some sort of secret lore.

I always liked how societies in the Andes came up with wheels, realized they were impractical as gently caress for their living situation, and tossed them to their kids to play with.