Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hot drat I can't wait to say "I left America" after the COW Alliance (California, Oregon, Washington) secedes, all because the federal government didn't want to govern during a virus and actively encouraged governors and states too look out for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Spinz posted:

It's going to be Trump vs. some Governors now
Holy poo poo

I think Trump holds most of the cards

Serious question, through what avenue can trump really force the states to lift restrictions? Like if he orders it, and the governors don't comply, essentially wouldn't it just end up in court and be argued about for months, thereby negating the "you must open now" order?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Biohazard posted:

Serious question, through what avenue can trump really force the states to lift restrictions? Like if he orders it, and the governors don't comply, essentially wouldn't it just end up in court and be argued about for months, thereby negating the "you must open now" order?

In a 5-4 decision...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Biohazard posted:

The federal government doesn't have the authority to force a state governor to lift restrictions, period. Trump could sue but it would get thrown out immediately for lack of standing.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Spinz posted:

It's going to be Trump vs. some Governors now
Holy poo poo

I think Trump holds most of the cards

He holds exactly no cards. He has no legal authority to do what he thinks he does, nor is there any mechanism he can use or even abuse to accomplish his stated goals. He would literally have to start a civil war to force any single state to reopen if the governor doesn't want to.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Biohazard posted:

He can't. Federalism is a double edged sword. The states had to beg Trump for help because they didn't have what they needed to survive. On the other hand, they don't have to reopen if they don't want to. If other states nearby do reopen, however, they will get the benefit of running while their competitors cannot. That's why on a national scale, Trump wants to reopen-- he sees China getting a big advantage. First they infected us, now they can work while we can't. That means they can snatch up even more business share than they already have. On another note, states can't prevent the free travel between themselves. Rhode Island almost got in trouble for this from tracking down New Yorkers who had escaped into its borders/blocking incoming New Yorkers. It's unconstitutional.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I said come in! posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/who-officials-say-its-unclear-whether-recovered-coronavirus-patients-are-immune-to-second-infection.html

The World Health Organization is saying that it is not clear that people are able to build anti-bodies coronavirus. If that is true, and considering how contagious this virus is, isn't that pretty much civilization ending if we are forced into isolation for possibly years, if not forever?

Nah. The people who get asymptomatic or just mild cold like symptoms will be fine. They might catch it 2, 3, 4 times a year, but they'll be fine. There will be enough of them to keep civilization rolling along fine.

If no treatment is developed and the virus doesn't mutate to a less deadly form, then the 20% of the population who get very very sick will either go into extreme isolation or die. Maybe not on their first go round, or their second, but eventually lungs or heart will fail and they'll die. In a decade it'll just be normal certain chronic ailments are more deadly than they used to be, and that most people don't live much past 70.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

In a 5-4 decision...

But getting it to the supreme court would no doubt take going through other courts no? Like again I think it'd take at least a month. Like with Bush V Gore, they had to have the state supreme court rule on it, and then brought it to the SCOTUS. Presumeable he'd have to do that with each individual state who's own supreme court ruled against his orders.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Congrats goons who live in states where planning for balkanization is already underway.

I'm probably gonna die :(

Surely they can't close all the roads that quickly

If things get super bad I'm going to Slab City

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

coronavirus posted:

Whats the absolute worst case scenario if Trump demanded everyone back at work next week? 1 million die this year from the beer bug? 3 million?

LA county officials claimed last week that if we lifted lockdown now something like 96% of people in the county would get infected.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-10/l-a-county-to-extend-health-stay-home-order-to-may-15

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Hot drat I can't wait to say "I left America" after the COW Alliance (California, Oregon, Washington) secedes, all because the federal government didn't want to govern during a virus and actively encouraged governors and states too look out for themselves.

Dear California,

Please let us into the clubhouse. I know you think we're annoying but it'll be super worth it. We'll even bring that cool dam, as long as the Arizonans don't steal it.

Signed, Nevada

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Biohazard posted:

But getting it to the supreme court would no doubt take going through other courts no? Like again I think it'd take at least a month. Like with Bush V Gore, they had to have the state supreme court rule on it, and then brought it to the SCOTUS. Presumeable he'd have to do that with each individual state who's own supreme court ruled against his orders.

Did you not see where SCOTUS got all involved in the Wisconsin election last week?

Here's a recent article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/13/us/wisconsin-election-voting-rights.html

quote:

It was the first major voting-rights decision led by the court’s conservative newest member, Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh, and it was in keeping with a broader Republican approach that puts more weight on protecting against potential fraud — vanishingly rare in American elections — than the right to vote, with limited regard for the added burdens of the pandemic.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

precision posted:

Surely they can't close all the roads that quickly

If things get super bad I'm going to Slab City

Slab City doesnt like visitors or newcomers even in normal times, i doubt you would have a very welcome reception if you went there now let alone if poo poo gets super bad and thousands of others get the same idea

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Biohazard posted:

It doesn't have to end up in court. The federal government can stop the stimulus payments. Declare that anyone who is furloughed due to state closure orders is not entitled to normal unemployment benefits. No loans or other help for businesses that are closed or have decreased income. Close whatever you want, we're not paying for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Earwicker posted:

Slab City doesnt like visitors or newcomers even in normal times, i doubt you would have a very welcome reception if you went there now let alone if poo poo gets super bad and thousands of others get the same idea

I've got a friend there, but yeah if lots of people get that idea then nope

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have a feeling the whole california desert area is already way too full of people who thought it would be smart to "escape from the city" and head out to a region with way fewer hospitals and doctors and an already vulnerable population.

palm springs and coachella etc moreso than slab city of course but its not like slab city has its own hospital

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Biohazard posted:

Again, what orders? He can demand poo poo all he wants but unless he literally withholds assistance from entire corporations and states in a hostage situation (probably not great for re-election) I don’t think they have to do anything he says.

I feel like there’s a name for it when the federal government gets involved in controlling businesses and means of production but I can’t quite remember what it is :thunk:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hazo posted:

unless he literally withholds assistance from entire corporations and states in a hostage situation (probably not great for re-election) I don’t think they have to do anything he says.

the states that he'd be witholding assistance from (and has already seized supplies from) are in general not states that vote for him. which is already part of what is going on!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hazo posted:

(probably not great for re-election)

The problem is the states he’s gonna be going after are ones he knows won’t go for him anyway. Now, some people in other states will probably think that’s hosed up and not vote for him, but it’s not like he’s going to be trying to flex on Texas or South Carolina or something.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nah. The people who get asymptomatic or just mild cold like symptoms will be fine. They might catch it 2, 3, 4 times a year, but they'll be fine. There will be enough of them to keep civilization rolling along fine.

Currently around 10% of the infected end up with pneumonia or much worse lung damage putting them in a much higher fatality risk group if reinfected. If it becomes endemic, and you get it multiple times a year it will kill you long, long before you are 70.

If it becomes endemic you are absolutely hosed, unless some kinda near miracle poo poo happens with vaccine development etc.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Kharmakazy posted:

He holds exactly no cards. He has no legal authority to do what he thinks he does, nor is there any mechanism he can use or even abuse to accomplish his stated goals. He would literally have to start a civil war to force any single state to reopen if the governor doesn't want to.

He's got the $
No $600 every week
No additional $1200, oh he so would have another big payment just to withhold it

I don't know enough to name off what he could do in retaliation but its got to be massive and multipronged

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Virginia
Pro - our governor declared stay-at-home order until June 10th back end of March/beginning of April so we've been planning on a longer term lockdown for two weeks now
Con - attached to DC, convenient "make an example of them" distance from Trump

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

:thunk:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Spinz posted:

He's got the $
No $600 every week
No additional $1200, oh he so would have another big payment just to withhold it

I don't know enough to name off what he could do in retaliation but its got to be massive and multipronged

Can he do that, though? Isn't it Congressional money?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

13Pandora13 posted:

Con - attached to DC, convenient "make an example of them" distance from Trump

virginia voted for him and can also be more or less considered a swing state making you guys less of a target for that

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Earwicker posted:

virginia voted for him and can also be more or less considered a swing state making you guys less of a target for that

nope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election

We kicked his rear end in a top hat buddy Dave Brat out of his (central VA) seat too last midterm cycle. We're solidly purple but bluer by the year.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm sure that's some stuff started on 4Chan

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

If no treatment is developed and the virus doesn't mutate to a less deadly form, then the 20% of the population who get very very sick will either go into extreme isolation or die. Maybe not on their first go round, or their second, but eventually lungs or heart will fail and they'll die. In a decade it'll just be normal certain chronic ailments are more deadly than they used to be, and that most people don't live much past 70.

What is to say the 2nd or 3rd time being infected to this virus won't be deadly for those people? Even those that survive are being left with lung scarring and other permanent damage to their bodies.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

Can he do that, though? Isn't it Congressional money?

first of all the president has the power of veto over congress but second of all its april of 2020 why on earth is any discussion assuming that this president operates within the bounds of law and normal procedure anyway?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

13Pandora13 posted:

nope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election

We kicked his rear end in a top hat buddy Dave Brat out of his (central VA) seat too last midterm cycle. We're solidly purple but bluer by the year.

oh my bad i dont know why i misremembered va as voting for him, my apologies!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The problem is the states he’s gonna be going after are ones he knows won’t go for him anyway. Now, some people in other states will probably think that’s hosed up and not vote for him, but it’s not like he’s going to be trying to flex on Texas or South Carolina or something.

Texas is already not a fan of a big federal reopening: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-gov-wants-slowly-reopen-private-business-trump-says-s-n1182886

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

It doesn't have to end up in court. The federal government can stop the stimulus payments. Declare that anyone who is furloughed due to state closure orders is not entitled to normal unemployment benefits. No loans or other help for businesses that are closed or have decreased income. Close whatever you want, we're not paying for it.

Congress can do some of that. POTUS can't do any of that.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

first of all the president has the power of veto over congress but second of all its april of 2020 why on earth is any discussion assuming that this president operates within the bounds of law and normal procedure anyway?

That's not what a veto is or in any way adjacent to how anything works.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
we are all gonna die

Coronavirus updates: 21 NYC public school teachers dead
https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavir...IcZ2SXi_BRoLp5o

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A summary on why Trump is impotent in reopening: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/fact-check-trump-claims-it-s-his-call-when-reopen-n1182836

quote:

The president didn't shutter the country — governors did, using authorities afforded to the states to quarantine and isolate — and he can't simply announce its reopening.

"There's no statutory authority for the president to do that," Stanford University law professor Bernadette Meyler said. "And there's definitely no inherent constitutional authority.

"The quarantine power is one of the states' oldest powers," she added.

Forty-two states are under state-ordered lockdowns, while three more have partial stay-at-home measures, according to NBC News' tally.

The president also lacks the authority to direct governors, mayors or other local officials to lift their emergency orders, Meyler said.

While state laws vary widely, most give governors or state public health officials the authority to limit public interactions in emergencies.

Washington state's law, for example, says that the governor "after proclaiming a state of emergency ... may issue an order prohibiting ... any number of persons, as designated by the governor, from assembling or gathering on the public streets, parks, or other open areas of this state, either public or private."

That includes banning such nongovernmental gatherings as sporting events or concerts and closing down businesses or restricting their operations to limit the spread of infectious diseases.

Josh Blackman, a conservative legal expert at South Texas College of Law Houston, said, "I don't know what it means for the president to 'open up the states.'"

"The president does make certain declarations about critical infrastructure and other guidelines that states generally follow. But the president cannot order the governors to do anything. I don't even think he could withhold funding from states, absent a congressional appropriation," Blackman added.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i looked at my data usage and this month between only using wifi at home and wifi at work i only used .2 gb out of 4 gb on my cell plan

similar thing is probably happening where people are just cancelling data plans because they dont need them

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

13Pandora13 posted:

This. Lentils, chickpeas, quinoa, beans, etc. have all been sold out everywhere for going on six weeks now around me and drat near everywhere online. "People should eat less meat anyway" is really loving stupid when non-meat protein is completely unavailable because as it ends up, you loving die with no protein/amino acids at all.

protein from legumes is infinitely more efficient/cheaper to produce than meat of any kind. chill out.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

numberoneposter posted:

i looked at my data usage and this month between only using wifi at home and wifi at work i only used .2 gb out of 4 gb on my cell plan

similar thing is probably happening where people are just cancelling data plans because they dont need them

I saw same exact thing, thought something was wrong at first

Also re Trump loving with the states----

Hey I'd be happy to be wrong!!!!! :dance:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kharmakazy posted:

That's not what a veto is or in any way adjacent to how anything works.

what isnt what a veto is? the president has the power to veto leglislation passed by congress. im aware that the president cannot of course veto a bill that has already been signed into law but again i dont understand why anyone is operating under the assumption that normal rules and procedures apply anyway. not that i think trump would bother with anything formal i think more likely he would find more underhanded and less direct ways of loving with states, such as the rerouting of supplies that already happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

another, much easier, thing the president could to do "reopen" without the states go ahead is to simply make a big public speech about how important religious and family gatherings are and how important it is for businesses to be open, that these things are the right of every American, and that any state or local authority telling you not to go to church or to keep your business closed is trying to oppress their American freedom.

for any state that doesnt comply they have a big new law enforcement problem to deal with at a time when resources are already strained by the virus.