Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It really is impressive, the turnaround from season 2.

Plus I haven't heard or thought about Fischerspooner in over 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Human Tornada posted:

Has Aaron Paul ever asked Dolores "Hey how come you get shot all the time and it doesn't seem to bother you all that much?"
He gave her a weird look after she got shot by two goons while he was still tripping.

I wonder how long they'll try to avoid that conversation. They're on a plane now with plenty of time to waste.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Combat Pretzel posted:

He gave her a weird look after she got shot by two goons while he was still tripping.

I wonder how long they'll try to avoid that conversation. They're on a plane now with plenty of time to waste.

Hopefully he asks her before the whole Terminator thing before Maeve shows up and hacks his mouth.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like Devs is doing a better job with these same themes.

Devs is something special.

There were some cool things in this episode, but it didn’t all click for me on a first viewing. I also have no idea where things go from here. Delores freed everyone from the super computer. What’s there left for her to do?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ghostwritingduck posted:

Devs is something special.

There were some cool things in this episode, but it didn’t all click for me on a first viewing. I also have no idea where things go from here. Delores freed everyone from the super computer. What’s there left for her to do?

- Samurai Dolires is still building a secret host army
- Hale Dlrs still has some important jobs at Delos to finish
- Serak is still alive and in control

I think her goal is to create enough chaos to bring down Serak and the supercomputer. Once he is no longer in control of the world she will unleash her robot army on humanity and we get a future war Terminator season.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

GABA ghoul posted:

- Samurai Dolires is still building a secret host army
- Hale Dlrs still has some important jobs at Delos to finish
- Serak is still alive and in control

I think her goal is to create enough chaos to bring down Serak and the supercomputer. Once he is no longer in control of the world she will unleash her robot army on humanity and we get a future war Terminator season.

I think you’re right, but I feel that there’s a lack of clarity that’s hurting the momentum of the show.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

stephenthinkpad posted:

There is a random throwaway scene of a riderless bike running in the background engulfed in frame. That was Bikolores.

noooooooo

rip bikelores. you were the best of us

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"I can't let him use you against us Maeve." - a real hard to kill robot with a gangster army behind him.

*Leaves Maeve to be used against us*

Like there are seven of you. If you don't want to chop her head off it's not that hard to get her to the car.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pzy posted:

I bet the Genre thing looks REALLY COOL on paper, then when it came time to actually execute it they were like "uhhhh, license that music from The Shining I guess"

The shame of it is SOMEONE could have done something cool with it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You guys don't remember bikelores running into that one enemy vehicle, falling under it's tires and detonating a bomb that was on its seat?

It was dead before the fire bike scene

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I agree with the general criticism that this episode had a bunch of creative ideas that likely looked good in script but ended up underwhelming in execution.

This is still better than most shows though. The worldbuilding of future timeline has been excellent and I'm pretty sure I saw a twizy in episode 3, which is cool.

Drowning In Terror fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 14, 2020

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

KoRMaK posted:

You guys don't remember bikelores running into that one enemy vehicle, falling under it's tires and detonating a bomb that was on its seat?

One can hope

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Human Tornada posted:

Another thing, how come nobody in the real world seems to give much thought to the idea that life-like robots could be running around all over the place? Or do they? I mean if some company built thousands of flawless humanoid robots, would anybody believe them when they said "oh but they're all in the parks and are never getting out, we promise" ??

I'm more concerned with why no one in this very ordered society seems to care about ATMs blowing up, random shootouts in downtown LA, or literal drone strikes in a major metropolis.

I understand Serac has ~unlimited resources~ and Deo has Plot Armor, but I feel like more hay should be made out of randos pulling out their phones to record all of this. Like, Liam's friends saw his dead girlfriend have a terminator fight and just kind of went "meh."

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This season is just Notes from Underground "but what if the Underground Man is also a samurai and a motorbike"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I understand Serac has ~unlimited resources~ and Deo has Plot Armor, but I feel like more hay should be made out of randos pulling out their phones to record all of this. Like, Liam's friends saw his dead girlfriend have a terminator fight and just kind of went "meh."

They rather explicitly thought it was a drug trip though?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The genre drug was dumb and added nothing worthwhile to the episode.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Entropic posted:

The genre drug was dumb and added nothing worthwhile to the episode.
even if you don't plan on ever watching the season and don't care about watchmen or superhero bullshit, everyone that likes good tv should watch the 6th episode of the HBO Watchmen series. Just that ep alone stands on its own regardless of anything else in the universe or in the canon or whatever, and does a similar thing as the genre drug but way incredibly better

You all have HBO if you been watching this. Go watch that ep right now or we soon as possible please. Episode 6 "this extraordinary being"

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I wanted one person reading their future to go Whoo Hoo! And it shows "they become a billionare and hang out with superstars...".

This story is another version of The Forbin Project, exept with a super AI and evil Serac instead of just the AI, also its AI vs AI just like Forbin and Person of Interest.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Caleb was one of the outlier people right? Definitely edited DNA

Genre thing is cool on paper but was poorly executed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I wanted one person reading their future to go Whoo Hoo! And it shows "they become a billionare and hang out with superstars...".

I was wondering why the people in the Incite building weren't losing their poo poo like everybody else till I realized their phones probably said poo poo like,"Gets to live a life of luxury and wealth and die old and unpunished for any crimes they ever commit."

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I didn't hate the Genre scenes but I've also eaten too much weed in one sitting and probably looked something like Aaron Paul did for a couple of hours.

That said, I did find it a bummer how they dropped it and just went "eh I guess play the music from the Shining"

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
They should have watched Watchmen first and then done the drug trip better

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I thought this was the best episode of the season so far but I have no idea what they were going for some of the genre switches. They should have just cut it down to like 3 ideas and then went all-in on those. They could have used horror and that would have been like a freebie.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So looking at the folks like the little girl who was going to kill herself as a teen, why isn’t the AI calling for early medical intervention? You aren’t maximizing humanity by letting teens slit their wrists.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, it's not ~totally~ fair to compare it to one of the best examples of a television episode with Watchmen's Nostalgia ep...

:shrug:

I do wish they had either done something much more stylized, ala the Dredd film, or leaned much more heavily into the five genres. It started fine with the noir, but then it was just different post-processing with the same distorted piano. It'd have been nice to see more costuming or cinematography choices to really emphasize each of the five genres.

Solkanar512 posted:

So looking at the folks like the little girl who was going to kill herself as a teen, why isn’t the AI calling for early medical intervention? You aren’t maximizing humanity by letting teens slit their wrists.

In Serac's mind: you are if that little girl is going to grow up into an ~unpredictable~. In fact, they probably engineered it so that she would kill herself...

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The genre thing was lame and I really think the only reason it was included was to prompt the dialogue exchange: “what genre is this?” “It’s reality, man.” :jerkbag:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was last song

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

remigious posted:

The genre thing was lame and I really think the only reason it was included was to prompt the dialogue exchange: “what genre is this?” “It’s reality, man.” :jerkbag:

I think they did it because they wanted Apocalypse Now chopter music on they slow rear end 25mph chase, and ended up adding music to the entire episode.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was last song

Space Oddity I think?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In Serac's mind: you are if that little girl is going to grow up into an ~unpredictable~. In fact, they probably engineered it so that she would kill herself...
The people most likely to attempt suicide are definitely going to fall into the "I'm glad they're dead" category for Serac. He's basically running a worldwide eugenics program, and having them off themselves saves him the trouble of having to manage their lives so they don't procreate. Which interestingly goes against Ford's belief that humanity was done evolving, given that there's now a guiding hand accelerating it.

hobbesmaster posted:

They rather explicitly thought it was a drug trip though?
Yeah, they couldn't have been much more blatant there. Though wasn't she on genre too? It seems like a weaker defense if she was, given how it just added music and a color filter, rather than enhancing reality by replacing people's faces/clothes and other poo poo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TOOT BOOT posted:

Space Oddity I think?

assuming last song means the credits song that was definitely not space oddity

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Space oddity was played in the train station.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4uSTdJo4zk

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I'm on team Serac. :colbert:

That was a dick move by Dolores. Uncool lady, very uncool.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

KoRMaK posted:

We didn't see Bikelores' dead body after the explosion.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Collateral posted:

I'm on team Serac. :colbert:

That was a dick move by Dolores. Uncool lady, very uncool.

Killing the bike I assume?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I was definitely hoping for more from the Genre drug, as soon as the B/W filter appeared I figured they were going to go full film-noir, and I assumed this would be their way to get back into the period piece stuff from S1 and 2 that was so fun, so they could do some different time periods or cinema styles. But unfortunately it was just some music and slow-mo walking. Definitely a wasted opportunity.

I do like Terminator Dolores, and I like that the plan is kicking off early instead of waiting until the end of the season to start loving up the RoHoBoSoNoDo or whatever the hell it is.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Genre is good to compare to Nostalgia because it's very different. All genre did was color perceptions; Caleb didn't hallucinate anything except for music and shading.

To me it was analogous to the parks in Westworld, especially the reskinning of the brothel robbery in Samuraiworld. Each park and host are dressed up in themes with all the bells and whistles, but it's an illusion covering up an immoral system destroying lives.

superjew fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 14, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

superjew posted:

Genre is good to compare to Nostalgia because it's very different. All genre did was color perceptions; Caleb didn't hallucinate anything except for music and shading.

To me it was analogous to the parks in Westworld, especially the reskinning of the brothel robbery in Samuraiworld. Each park and host are dressed up in themes with all the bells and whistles, but it's an illusion covering up an immoral system destroying lives.

I like this interpretation because then the shallowness of it is on purpose. :hmmyes:

I think my expectations were just unfairly high after Watchmen. That was such a good episode of television. :tviv:

I still had a lot of fun with this episode, I'm loving the new direction of the show and really hope we get another season. Only three episodes left... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I think the weak link for me so far has probably been OG Delores.

All of her motivations and actions make sense, but they make it hard for her to be a compelling protagonist.
From memory, she's done nice things for 2 people in all of 5 episodes and despite her drive coming from having suffered for years, none of it registers when you see her because the character's become totally robotic (lol)

I would've either kept the plot but had the focus more on the people trying to stop her and paint her as closer to a villain or give her more sympathetic traits or at least some emotion.

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 14, 2020