Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If Sanders didn't think he could influence policy and push the country in a positive direction by working within the systems as they exist, he wouldn't even be a Senator. He clearly thinks that endorsing Biden early is the best way to push the establishment leftwards, and personally I don't think he's wrong.

He's wiser than me, granted. I still think he's too nice though, those things aren't mutually exclusive. He should have attacked Biden harder early on.

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1249789453893120000?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

VitalSigns posted:

oh well that's confusing, why does the Times say the balance of the court is at stake then
Because it's way easier to peel off one chudge than two in borderline cases. Even arch-conservatives sometimes have pet issues that they're weirdly liberal on.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Medullah posted:

I can't believe he's going back to H1N1. "17,000 people died, it was handled terribly"

He didn't mention the death count, but he's not yet ready to get rid of that talking point.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920041

Happily announcing he was being “controversial” by being “in violation” of safety protocols — with “way more than 10 people” at the church — he vowed to keep his church open “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

Unless they throw his lovely, rotting corpse in church during service then he's a loving liar. Hell's not real but if his religion was real he'd be going to hell since he's not following through on his promise. Not in jail. Not in the hospital.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wilbur Swain posted:

He didn't mention the death count, but he's not yet ready to get rid of that talking point.

He absolutely did mention the death rate. That's what made it so unbelievable to me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

VH4Ever posted:

He's wiser than me, granted. I still think he's too nice though, those things aren't mutually exclusive. He should have attacked Biden harder early on.

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1249789453893120000?s=19

Maybe, it's hard to say. Attacking your opponents in a primary is always a gamble, though—the nastier you are, the less inclined they are to listen to you if they win. Democratic primary voters in particular don't typically like seeing the candidates go hard after each other, so Sanders attacking Biden could have very well backfired (Especially in the likely event Biden won anyway).

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Except when said dumbass president says he takes no responsibility and the response for everything is supposed to be the state governors. Man, gently caress this guy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Trump also mentioned that he's going to have a committee of religious leaders because "you've seen what's been going on with the churches". I'm sure it will be a multi-faith initiative, and he'll totally respect the separation of church and state.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Medullah posted:

He absolutely did mention the death rate. That's what made it so unbelievable to me.

omg you're right.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1249842971098390536

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

thats an insult to sharks.

Also how our coasts doing?

air pollution is down and there's been a few bird posts about packs of rats and monkeys forming starving swarms now that humans no longer rule the streets, are seagulls trying to do the same?

what about the shallows?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This may have been posted a billion times already, but deserves to be posted again:

https://twitter.com/DanielBice/status/1249837663970111488

HOLY poo poo TWENTY loving POINTS

get hosed you worthless shitbags :dance:

this means we now control the SC right?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Maybe, it's hard to say. Attacking your opponents in a primary is always a gamble, though—the nastier you are, the less inclined they are to listen to you if they win. Democratic primary voters in particular don't typically like seeing the candidates go hard after each other, so Sanders attacking Biden could have very well backfired (Especially in the likely event Biden won anyway).

We'll never know, I guess.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

I think Biden is going to win. If the Wisconsin GOP can't win an election rigged so obviously in their favor as this one, I don't think they can win in November.

Yeah, if we pull this out, then all Dems have to do is keep their foot on the gas and keep the base motivated and pissed off.

So that means they'll completely ignore Wisconsin and Trump will win the state by 10 points. Because Democats.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1249844210292805633?s=19

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

This may have been posted a billion times already, but deserves to be posted again:

It's actually juicier than that

https://twitter.com/DanielBice/status/1249844211303755778

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Mr Interweb posted:

Those two are circuit court judges. Still good to see any Walker appointee gone

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't know how you can look at these results tonight and not think that Biden is the favorite to win in November.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

mcmagic posted:

I don't know how you can look at these results tonight and not think that Biden is the favorite to win in November.

Post your map

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

VH4Ever posted:

We'll never know, I guess.

Not until whoever's running this simulation gives up and goes back to an earlier save, anyway :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Catalyst-proof posted:

Post your map

There is no map for Trump without Wisconsin.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

:monocle:

these numbers are staggering. i guess this obliterates my fear that only chuds would go out and vote cause they ain't worried about the rona.

Guze posted:

Those two are circuit court judges. Still good to see any Walker appointee gone

oh. do we have the results of the SC elections?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

:monocle:

these numbers are staggering. i guess this obliterates my fear that only chuds would go out and vote cause they ain't worried about the rona.

Looks like the democrat won.

She won. It was called.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1249846755660832774

Huge own goal for the Republican WI SC and the SCOTUS.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...gion=Navigation

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I just wish one reported would grow the stones to stand up and ask "President Trump, are you stupid, or are you really stupid?"

Mr Interweb posted:

Even if Dems didn't that's a loving huge rear end blow

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

There is no map for Trump without Wisconsin.

Which is why Biden is a goddamn fool if he doesn't offer his VP slot to Tammy Baldwin.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Which is why Biden is a goddamn fool if he doesn't offer his VP slot to Tammy Baldwin.

Very much behind this but I don't think it will happen.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

She won. It was called.

:circlefap:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah Trump had an advantage because he didn't care whether anyone listened to him if he lost (he knew they wouldn't), he could totally go scorched earth in the primary because he didn't have any goals beyond self-aggrandizement

Bloomberg suffered from the inverse of that come to think of it. He was so blatantly buying his way in, that none of the other candidates expected they would have any leverage over him if that worked, so they had no incentive not to score points by bagging on what a horrific piece of poo poo he is.

E:
On the other hand, Obama went ham on Hillary, maybe he was just astute enough to know 2008 was his moment and he had nothing to lose
It's not like the Clintons would have given him the time of day if he lost no matter how nice he was. Even running against Hillary gets you on the enemies list

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 14, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mcmagic posted:

gently caress now I know he's going to lose.

:argh:

McMagic!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL @ the WI GOP who killed their voters to lose a seat for 10 years.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

mcmagic posted:

Can you explain a bit more?

So Wisconsin went to Trump in 2016. But Wisconsin itself doesn't have many electoral votes, just 10 and Hillary lost by 77 electoral votes.

The important thing is that the high turnout and big win for Dems - despite an attempt at voter suppression - is indicating a general trend for purple states in 2020 that they'll go Dem. Is that your main point?

E: it seems obvious, but if we have different assumptions of the "obvious" it can lead to miscommunication.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 14, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Can you explain a bit more?

So Wisconsin went to Trump in 2016. But Wisconsin itself doesn't have many electoral votes, just 10 and Hillary lost by 77 electoral votes.

The important thing is that the high turnout and big win for Dems - despite an attempt at voter suppression - is indicating a general trend for purple states in 2020 that they'll go Dem. Is that your main point?

Wi is the tipping point state in the majority of 2020 models. It's trending rightward of Pa and Mi so it's overwhelmingly likely that if the D wins it that they would have won Pa and Mi and that closes off any paths for Trump.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

Ahahahahaha!!!! :yeshaha:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

What is the dream shortlist for VP candidates, and what is the likely shortlist?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah Trump had an advantage because he didn't care whether anyone listened to him if he lost (he knew they wouldn't), he could totally go scorched earth because he didn't have any goals beyond self-aggrandizement

Bloomberg suffered from the inverse of that come to think of it. He was so blatantly buying his way in, that none of the other candidates expected they would have any leverage over him if that worked, so they had no incentive not to score points by bagging on what a horrific piece of poo poo he is

the other big piece is that the timing made it incredibly hard to make the changeover

god knows there was no shortage of material to attack Biden over, but the fact that clowncar numbers prevented Biden from having to say anything, at any length, until after Super Tuesday did an excellent job of covering for his weaknesses, and the moderators deciding that Biden could lie to their faces and they'd smile and nod during the one debate Sanders could have gone harder does not fill me with confidence re: the utility of attacking.

"you thought black children should be chemically lobotomized" is a 100% accurate statement of fact, and one that could have been stated, but there's only so much you can do in an environment where 'well, it's true, but he shouldn't say it' is enough to get you three pinocchios from WaPo

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Bucky Fullminster posted:

What is the dream shortlist for VP candidates, and what is the likely shortlist?

Tammy Baldwin should be #1 on the dream list. Wisconsin will be what Florida was in 2000 in terms of determining the election. Baldwin is a popular senator and could deliver this state to Biden.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Catalyst-proof posted:

Post your map

Hell, here's my guess.

Pennsylvania and Michigan flipping back to D is probably a given. Wisconsin is fairly likely as well, given these election results. Arizona has been trending surprisingly blue, and I think Florida actually has a good chance of flipping as well (It was closer than people remember in 2016, and the felony renfrenchisement will be huge). North Carolina is the least likely flip, but I've got a feeling about it. Ohio is probably lost, though.

Senate flips: Arizona, Colorado, Maine, North Carolina, and a Jones loss in Alabama. Little low-key worried about Michigan as well, as Gary Peters is a very boring man, but we'll see what happens.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tammy Baldwin should be #1 on the dream list. Wisconsin will be what Florida was in 2000 in terms of determining the election. Baldwin is a popular senator and could deliver this state to Biden.

I think she's probably considered too left for Obama and the establishment who will be making the pick.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

She won. It was called.

so we now control the SC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

mcmagic posted:

I think she's probably considered too left for Obama and the establishment who will be making the pick.

Wasn't this a similar concern about an ideology gap when JFK picked LBJ to deliver Texas?

Forgive me if my history is wrong.