Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie is claiming he can overrule governors to restart state economies. Where oh where are the states rights people now?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

McNally posted:

Doesn't count, wasn't president yet.

those goalposts...

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hooked up to ventilators and texting TRUMP to 88022 with one hand and feverishly tapping the button to administer themselves more morphine with the other hand.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I've been thinking a lot about this today.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Saying that when the government got involved in slavery And fought in the civil war they got involved in state commerce so they should be able to now. What, you gonna disagree with the outcome of the civil war now?

I’m not making this up.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I've been thinking a lot about this today.

It's kind of hilarious how hosed Trump knows he is, plus how his brilliant plan is to just gently caress himself over even more. His main argument was his tremendous, beautiful economy that got completely wrecked and it's not like people are going to start buying stuff again just because he says so, even the chuddier types. Those that pretend it's not a problem will spread the plague and lead to another shutdown and/or overrun hospitals if he's dumb enough to "override" a shutdown order.

All of this will be moot in a week or two anyways. He will be changing his tune once Florida goes to poo poo.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1249781106410491915

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hooked up to ventilators and texting TRUMP to 1488 with one hand and feverishly tapping the button to administer themselves more morphine with the other hand.

fixed

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

heh

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

My Spirit Otter posted:

those goalposts...

I thought the original post included the word president. I went back and looked and it didn't. My bad.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

My Spirit Otter posted:

I seriously dont understand how there haven't been public assassination attempts

Twitter rhetoric from wannabee revolutionaries aside, I think a lot of American left/liberal people still believe there is a political solution available. The left-DSA faction has their people like AOC and Ilhan Omar getting elected and Bernie coming extremely close to the nomination twice now, and the liberal capitalist/centrists think they'll get a return to their stability and slow progress, since Trump lost the popular vote back in 2016 and the democrats have managed to do well in elections since then.

Elmnt80 posted:

???

There were several attempts that were stopped in the planning/preparation stages. Hell, some dinguses were going to try at the 2008 DNC.

The only credible nuclear terror threat to the US has been a neo-Nazi in Maine building a dirty bomb to set off at the inauguration. Only got found out after his wife had enough of him beating her and shot him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

drat, that would have been a hella effective bomb too

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

I'm not going to link it, but what's going on is that he had a whole weekend off TV. He doesn't have rallies, so he's turning this presser into an even more nutso rally than normal. Stuff like “When somebody is president of the United States, your authority is total.”

He also has the White House folks put together a propaganda video about how awesome he was with the coronavirus response. Reporters grilled him that there was a very suspicious gap in February. So they directly asked him "What did your administration do in the entire month of February?" over and over, and the best he could come up with was A LOT then yelled about fake news again.

gently caress it, I lied, have some chyrons.

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1249824527053467655

I looked up the "briefing" on YouTube, got about as far as the part where Trump says "we've got the greatest economy, we've got the biggest employment numbers ever, some of the biggest unemployment numbers as well, as you know. The greatest of everything.", and just immediately closed the tab.

Watched some of the "best of" clips from his meltdown as well, and I'm done. I can't do it anymore.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Do you enjoy having rights that 1) apply to someone who isn't a white, property holding Protestant male, or 2) didn't exist until after 1789?
Most of the time, you can thank state's rights (enumerated federal power and the ninth amendment) for that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Western States Pact sounds like the programmatically generated name of an NPC nation in a wargame. Prove me wrong.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Real people named it Cascadia.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Before I go nap, I just want to point out that Karofsky won the WI race by 10%, 855k to 692k.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I looked up the "briefing" on YouTube, got about as far as the part where Trump says "we've got the greatest economy, we've got the biggest employment numbers ever, some of the biggest unemployment numbers as well, as you know. The greatest of everything.", and just immediately closed the tab.

Watched some of the "best of" clips from his meltdown as well, and I'm done. I can't do it anymore.

This poo poo is dangerous. My dad, who has always supported Trump in an embarrassed way and who would have never gone to one of his rallies or watched one on TV in a million years, is watching his "briefings" every night. I'm seeing the brain worms take hold in real time. His Boomer Brain still doesn't understand that that it's possible that the President could be lying on TV (though Obama was somehow able to do it...?).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Trump will face zero consequences for saying continually more vile and incredible poo poo. He never has and never will pay a price for it and people need to process that / should have done so by now. Republican polling support is still stupidly high and as far as anything matters at all, that's about the only thing that might.

Roughly 25% of the country isn't going to listen to him say something progressively more insane and all of a sudden stop and get off the ride. That ship sailed roughly 5 minutes after he called out McCain for being a loser. Any critical thought that would have allowed a person to stop supporting a serial draft dodger who insulted a wounded POW would have already happened. Everyone saw it in full context, unambiguously in live TV. People made their choices. I don't expect any believers to change their minds at this point whenever he just comes out and says the 14 words and advocates helping out "good americans" by putting them on ventilators instead of "undesirables".

also have a lol
https://twitter.com/JonahDispatch/status/1249890228707438592

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I know this is just because it is prudent / expedient, but it's hard not to squint a little at it and wonder about future balkanization.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/politics/states-band-together-reopening-plans/index.html

quote:

(CNN)States on the country's East and West coasts are forming their own regional pacts to work together on how to reopen from the stay-at-home orders each has issued to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The first such group to be announced came Monday on the East Coast. Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said his state, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Rhode Island and Massachusetts each plan to name a public health and economic official to a regional working group. The chief of staff of the governor of each state also will be a part of the group, which will begin work immediately to design a reopening plan.

Later on Monday, the West Coast states of California, Washington and Oregon also announced they are joining forces in a plan to begin incremental release of stay-at-home orders. Governors of the three states will collaborate on their approach to getting back to business in "in a safe, strategic, responsible way," as announced by California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom.

he collaborative approach by governors on both coasts underscored the massive and complex calculations that the nation is facing as it looks at steps to reopen the economy at both the federal and state levels. Though the President has asserted that he has the authority to determine when the economy will reopen, governors and mayors around the country have moved swiftly in recent days to make it clear that they control the levers of power in their own states and cities with their ability to maintain closures of businesses and schools, and to enforce social distancing through their police departments.

The announcements by the West and East coast governors on Monday appeared to be an effort to preempt pronouncements coming from the President, who has said he will likely introduce his "Opening the Country" economic task force during his briefing on Tuesday. Governors on both costs hammered the notion that their decisions will be driven by facts, science and public health professionals, not politics.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

That Works posted:

I know this is just because it is prudent / expedient, but it's hard not to squint a little at it and wonder about future balkanization.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/politics/states-band-together-reopening-plans/index.html

Let me know when the Confederate State Alliance gets formed.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
There are a couple glimmers of hope floating around out there, though they're admittedly slim. Slim because candidate_inertia that'll go into another thread. But cutting through the pessimism I was feeling before last night, let me be, I guess, naive for a moment.

First is what just happened in WI. 10% is a wide margin. People here are loving pissed, and I doubt they'll forget who did this to them once the consequences of last week's election start hitting home. Keep in mind, WI was relatively "safe" compared to other states before that happened. We had a stay at home order happen pretty much when it needed to. Thanks to GOP, SCOTUS, that safety got obliterated. Not only that, people will have literally died in an effort to go vote. It's entirely possible that he will not pick up the state again, and that people will be prepared to vote absentee this November in higher numbers. Losing WI isn't a hit he can afford.

Second is that his fanbase isn't the majority. They're going to vote for him regardless. Everyone always knew that there were never going to be converts from his tribe, and we shouldn't expect any.

Third is that polls have been notoriously squirrelly since 2016. Pollsters were caught with their pants around their ankles when Trump took the presidency. I would not be surprised if they're skewing in his favor in a backlash to the way they skewed against him during the last election, and I wouldn't expect these results to stay the way they are.

That said, if I were forced to be campaigner or do phone banking, I'd be pushing SCOTUS first and foremost, downballot races, and what happened to WI as an example of what people stand to lose if they sleep on this. WI pulled itself out of the fire, but we're still in rough shape after 10 years of abuse, and it'll take years of effort to get back to where we were. Biden is a lovely band-aid, yeah, but downballot, Midterms, can hold him accountable, and he can and will be primaried in 2024, if he doesn't voluntarily step down. He has signaled that he intends to be a one term president, and I'm a-okay with that.

I am NOT okay with him having been the nominee at all, and I intend on pushing for candidates that will make that more apparent. The swiftly dying branch of the Dems that pushed for this to happen over all the other candidates that were out there - yes, even Harris would have been a thousand times better, at least she didn't loving molest anyone personally - can and need to be told that their bullshit is unacceptable. Won't be easy, and it probably won't happen quickly, but checking out and saying it's all loving hopeless means it won't happen at all.

So. There. I guess. That's about the best I can do right now, ray of sunshine wise. :shrug:

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

At we will still have wrestling

https://twitter.com/glennkirschner2/status/1250024833305452544?s=21

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Woofer posted:

Saying that when the government got involved in slavery And fought in the civil war they got involved in state commerce so they should be able to now. What, you gonna disagree with the outcome of the civil war now?

I’m not making this up.

*sobs uncontrollably at how true this is*

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

Considering states had to start bringing in press to cover delivery of medical supplies to keep the Feds from stealing it, it's absolutely a tribute to far cooler heads that nobody's gotten shot over it. The whole damned thing feels fragile as hell and is of course headed by the dumbest mother fucker to ever assume office

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Real people named it Cascadia.

It's only Cascadia when you useless west coast states confirm the abolition of DST so our lazy Premier will follow suit

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

Considering states had to start bringing in press to cover delivery of medical supplies to keep the Feds from stealing it, it's absolutely a tribute to far cooler heads that nobody's gotten shot over it. The whole damned thing feels fragile as hell and is of course headed by the dumbest mother fucker to ever assume office

A dumb motherfucker who wants life to become a 80s made for TV action movie where he pounds on his desk and orders people killed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BigDave posted:

A dumb motherfucker who wants life to become a 80s made for TV action movie where he pounds on his desk and orders people killed.

Uhhhhh..... he does know how those end for said table thumper, right?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Old Boot posted:

So. There. I guess. That's about the best I can do right now, ray of sunshine wise. :shrug:

I've got another for you, with the caveat that it's just one state poll.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1250008948830285824?s=19

Field date of the middle of last week. There have been stories that the White House has already stopped feeding their internal data to Trump as a morning sugar high - it's pretty clear that the flag-rallying bounce is completely loving gone. Biden's thing is going to be that he's a milquetoast warm body with empathy and deference to an army of experts and that might be exactly what people want.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I’m hoping Trump basically saying the president should be a dictator will get through to the same chuds who lambasted Obama for trying to be a dictator.

But alas,

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Old Boot posted:

...So. There. I guess. That's about the best I can do right now, ray of sunshine wise. :shrug:

To add to your brief moment of optimism consider our experience here in Virginia. Our governor is a blackface wearing center Dem and our Lt gov is a sexpest. But with plenty of hustle and grassroots efforts we flipped the legislature blue in 2018 and in the process primaries a bunch of centrist dems with actual progressives. The progressives didn't get everything they wanted out of our legislative session, but we did get mandatory gun background checks, red flag laws, decriminalized pot, minimum wage increases, the first southern states to pass LGBTQ discrimination protection, ratifying the ERA, a massive expansion to early voting, got rid of the law preventing cities from removing traitor's statues and started the process of removing the statue of Col. Lee from the state capitol grounds.

The point being there are reasons not to give up. It took the tea party 10 years to go from rascal scooter parades to Trump and the left needs to play both the short and long game.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Uhhhhh..... he does know how those end for said table thumper, right?

In mainstream Hollywood productions, yes, but I'm talking about Showtime/Movie Channel original productions, the kind of stuff that Stephen Segal was doing in the 80s before Under Seige.

The hero is a former ex-cop scummy motherfucker in a leather jacket, who spin kicks vaguely ethnic gang members wearing cut off jean jackets and headbands, the love interest is a Madonna knockoff with dirty bleached curly hair and jean shorts, and the main villain is a washed up Hong Kong action star with a shaved head and is actually named Mister Big.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

BigDave posted:

In mainstream Hollywood productions, yes, but I'm talking about Showtime/Movie Channel original productions, the kind of stuff that Stephen Segal was doing in the 80s before Under Seige.

The hero is a former ex-cop scummy motherfucker in a leather jacket, who spin kicks vaguely ethnic gang members wearing cut off jean jackets and headbands, the love interest is a Madonna knockoff with dirty bleached curly hair and jean shorts, and the main villain is a washed up Hong Kong action star with a shaved head and is actually named Mister Big.

I’ve been saying for years that boomers watched Lethal Weapon and have, as a generation, decided that that’s how cops should behave.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If you dont want spin kicks get the gently caress out of my America

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

C.M. Kruger posted:

Twitter rhetoric from wannabee revolutionaries aside, I think a lot of American left/liberal people still believe there is a political solution available. The left-DSA faction has their people like AOC and Ilhan Omar getting elected and Bernie coming extremely close to the nomination twice now, and the liberal capitalist/centrists think they'll get a return to their stability and slow progress, since Trump lost the popular vote back in 2016 and the democrats have managed to do well in elections since then.

The upcoming 2-3 SCOTUS seats are enough of a reason for me to vote for the brain pudding Iraq war preacher.

Clinton wasnt exactly a progressive hero and managed to get RBG on the court. Hopefully the guys doing the Weekend at Bernie's act with Biden can nominate a good replacement.

A future progressive in that office will have more success with a 5-4 majority.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If you dont want spin kicks get the gently caress out of my America

No honest vigilante needs more then a frontal kick!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Where oh where are the states rights people now?

Have you guys forgotten that it's "STATES RIGHTS*" not "STATES RIGHTS"

*certain restrictions apply, not redeemable in CA, NY, or WA, can only redeem if the current president is a non-white non-Republican. Only valid when the rights of minorities, drugs, or abortion are being talked about.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

facialimpediment posted:

I've got another for you, with the caveat that it's just one state poll.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1250008948830285824?s=19

Field date of the middle of last week. There have been stories that the White House has already stopped feeding their internal data to Trump as a morning sugar high - it's pretty clear that the flag-rallying bounce is completely loving gone. Biden's thing is going to be that he's a milquetoast warm body with empathy and deference to an army of experts and that might be exactly what people want.

I mean... I always want my politicians to be empathetic and willing to listen to experts. That's like, the ideal politician.