Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

It's telling you the correct and true direction to tap your lands. :colbert:

you’re a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last opinions on Theros Draft? It was the first limited format I played consistently (mostly bot draft on Arena). I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I still suck at draft.

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

The Clowner posted:

Last opinions on Theros Draft? It was the first limited format I played consistently (mostly bot draft on Arena). I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I still suck at draft.

I enjoyed it a lot! It was the first set I went to paper drafts weekly and even without the S tier rares I felt like I was able to pull a strong deck together most of the time.

My only wish is that they would have made Dream Trawler mythic or something - that card brought out the stupid in every person in my LGS, including me.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

The Clowner posted:

TBD is an A-tier draft format, to me. Extremely versatile for a normal set. I think a big part of that was Escape being such a good mechanic across strategies, and also the way different cards synergized between different decks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Clowner posted:

My favorite to draft since Dominaria.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yawgmoth posted:

It's telling you the correct and true direction to tap your lands. :colbert:

Post + User combo

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Eej posted:

Post + User combo

I'm With Him

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Clowner posted:

Really enjoyed it, the only black marks on it were two mythics and two rares. Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver and Kiora Bests The Sea God were nigh unbeatable, as were Archon of Sun's Grace and to a much greater extent Dream Trawler. Everything else felt good to play and play against.

Will probably keep a rareless draft set sleeved up of this one.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Clowner posted:

there were a lot of miserable unbeatable bombs but the games that didn't involve them were fun with lots of meaningful decisions.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

I wasn't into Theros draft but Ikoria looks really wild and especially combined with human drafting on Arena I'm the most excited to play again since Dominaria.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Clowner posted:

I liked it less than Throne of Eldraine, but it was still fine. Playing around in the graveyard is fun. I thought the color balance was a little worse than Throne, but to be fair it wasn’t as bad as War.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I saw this idea on reddit and I felt I had to illustrate how insane it is:

If they don't have blockers or removal (stomp doesn't cut it) you'll have nissa, a 3/4 reach and a 3/3 vigilance, you'll get in for 9 and be ready to do whatever insane poo poo you want when you untap, all by turn 3. gently caress paradise druid, grazer is the best mutate target.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I liked Theros Draft slightly more than Eldraine if for nothing else because it felt more balanced and there were more viable archetypes even late into the draft season. Whereas with Eldraine by the last few weeks is was all mono Black, mill, random aggro pile.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Eldraine draft sucked mightily at the start and I never got around to doing any late-season drafts with it.

Theros felt like it was good all the way through.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Never drafted Eldraine irl but my Theros irl draft was great and it worked well with the bots, thankfully the last time ever I have to give a poo poo about the Arena bots. Thursday can't come soon enough.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Eldraine drafts sucked poo poo on Arena after the first week because the bots were programmed to snap up all the black removal spells, so every game became a boring grindy foodfest

Unless you were lucky and got a good mono-G deck with a few Garenbrig Paladins, Fierce Witchstalkers and a Wicked Wolf or Yorvo

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Magic Underwear posted:

I saw this idea on reddit and I felt I had to illustrate how insane it is:

If they don't have blockers or removal (stomp doesn't cut it) you'll have nissa, a 3/4 reach and a 3/3 vigilance, you'll get in for 9 and be ready to do whatever insane poo poo you want when you untap, all by turn 3. gently caress paradise druid, grazer is the best mutate target.

that is bonkers but i'm not sure how a 3/4 and a 3/3 is 9 damage?

e: oh 3 on t2 my bad

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 14, 2020

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Wafflecopper posted:

The mutated creature can swing on T2, it won’t have summoning sickness.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yeah i wasn't thinking of t2, just the damage on t3, my bad

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Wafflecopper posted:

you attack for three on the turn you mutate greathorn onto grazer

my favorite thing to do with ~combos~ like that is figure out exactly what your starting hand has to look like. that's a fairly reasonable three cards and three forests in your opening hand since it's monocolor, but i've seen stuff presented entirely seriously that way that need a specific seven cards and also two specific next draws

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Theros is one of the better limited formats lately imo. The archetypes are all pretty deep and there's not a lot of the totally useless filler

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

flatluigi posted:

you attack for three on the turn you mutate greathorn onto grazer

my favorite thing to do with ~combos~ like that is figure out exactly what your starting hand has to look like. that's a fairly reasonable three cards and three forests in your opening hand since it's monocolor, but i've seen stuff presented entirely seriously that way that need a specific seven cards and also two specific next draws

You need 4 lands and those three cards in your opening hand although you can draw them by turn 3 also

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mat Cauthon posted:

I liked Theros Draft slightly more than Eldraine if for nothing else because it felt more balanced and there were more viable archetypes even late into the draft season. Whereas with Eldraine by the last few weeks is was all mono Black, mill, random aggro pile.

This was only true because of the crappy low effort bots. In paper and on modo eld was a blast. All timer imo. Theros was fine but not great. Too many unbeatable bombs and I was sick of knowing it was correct to go in to black p1p1 and knowing I'd get pushed off it more likely than not.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

uggy posted:

You need 4 lands and those three cards in your opening hand although you can draw them by turn 3 also

It doesn't seem much better than just playing ramp + nissa normally, using paradise druid or whatever

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pointsofdata posted:

It doesn't seem much better than just playing ramp + nissa normally, using paradise druid or whatever

You could still do that, but this line is more aggressive.

Also, other lines include:
* Mutating again for 2 more lands
* Mutating an animated land into a 6/7 vigilance
* Mutating a Paradise druid into a 3/4 hexproof to gum up the ground.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

Theros is one of the better limited formats lately imo. The archetypes are all pretty deep and there's not a lot of the totally useless filler

It had great gameplay, it would be an all time format for me, but in the end I thought it was just "very good" because of the high density of bombs. Offten times I would force colors or abandon them because having one of the top 10 or so rares in your deck was far better than having a consistent curve or a few more high quality commons.

The last draft I'll probably ever do of this format had Archon of Sun's Grace and Nightmare Shepherd (Easy 7-0). The latter is where I want rares in draft to be, a 4/4 for 4 flyer with a nice upside ability. The former is one of the many bombs that if you untap with it you should almost always win, same goes for the Kraken and Setessan Champion, and don't even get me started on Ashiok, Polukranos, Kiora and Dream Trawler. This is the first set I'd probably have genuinely preferred commons and uncommons only.

Still probably the best draft format I've played since Dominaria, but I skipped M20 and Eldraine.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
My theory about the 350$ fetch lands is very important. I think they figured out that the market is people who buy a ton of them and sell it a week later and so they're going to see how far they can push it. I'm glad I was able to force my valuable thought into this important topic.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nolgthorn posted:

My theory about the 350$ fetch lands is very important. I think they figured out that the market is people who buy a ton of them and sell it a week later and so they're going to see how far they can push it. I'm glad I was able to force my valuable thought into this important topic.

The fetchland secret lair is insanely overpriced because they all but said they're doing a true reprint later this year and want to get more money from whales before the value tanks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Lutri's pre-banned in Brawl

quote:

This isn't an oversight or a case where we underestimated a card that was too powerful. In fact, discussions surrounding the legality of this card in Singleton formats began early in the design process. As we playtested with Lutri, we decided that the fun deck-building challenge and opportunity for self-expression it presents in other Magic formats clearly made the design worth printing, even if it didn't make sense in Brawl.
I still don't get why they printed Lutri. i don't think there are enough cards in Standard for a singleton deck to be in any way competitive when the only payoff it has is Lutri. This isn't Hearthstone where you only need a 30 card singleton deck and there are multiple powerful singleton payoffs.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm going to make a Lutri deck for my casual group, so I'm glad the elemental otter exists :shobon:

Quick question though, if my deck meets the requirement, I can have up to four of the same Companion in my sideboard correct?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I got my butt handed to me in arena draft. Apparently you need to have some level of knowledge about card synergies and limitations of the set. I was red blue and had no answer to either flying creatures nor heavy creatures. So I looked into other people playing draft on youtue and everyone red blue is getting stomped by flying creatures and heavy creatures.

Next time I plan to I utterly fail for different reasons.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm going to make a Lutri deck for my casual group, so I'm glad the elemental otter exists :shobon:

Quick question though, if my deck meets the requirement, I can have up to four of the same Companion in my sideboard correct?

You can, but the "starting deck" referred to in the companion rule is the starting deck for each game, not the whole match, so if a companion breaks it's own rule you won't be able to bring in the extra copies and still use one as a companion.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Nolgthorn posted:

I got my butt handed to me in arena draft. Apparently you need to have some level of knowledge about card synergies and limitations of the set. I was red blue and had no answer to either flying creatures nor heavy creatures. So I looked into other people playing draft on youtue and everyone red blue is getting stomped by flying creatures and heavy creatures.

Next time I plan to I utterly fail for different reasons.

which set, Theros? this is a very synergy focused draft format, more than normal.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If they couldn't design a singleton companion that wasn't an auto-include, they shouldn't have used the restriction at all.

Lutri might be a fine card on its own, so it's not like they just dumped One With Nothing into the set or anything. It's just embarrassing and a waste of space in the cycle.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

You can, but the "starting deck" referred to in the companion rule is the starting deck for each game, not the whole match, so if a companion breaks it's own rule you won't be able to bring in the extra copies and still use one as a companion.

Okay cool thanks.

I also want to make a Gyruda deck although I imagine my table wouldn't take kindly to me playing four copies of it (we're a pretty low power level group).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Lutri's pre-banned in Brawl

I still don't get why they printed Lutri. i don't think there are enough cards in Standard for a singleton deck to be in any way competitive when the only payoff it has is Lutri. This isn't Hearthstone where you only need a 30 card singleton deck and there are multiple powerful singleton payoffs.
It affects ~33-36 nonland cards. Hearthstone has sometimes had multiple singleton payoffs, but the deck has also been playable with just one payoff that wasn't guaranteed to start in your hand as an extra card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Huxley posted:

If they couldn't design a singleton companion that wasn't an auto-include, they shouldn't have used the restriction at all.

Lutri might be a fine card on its own, so it's not like they just dumped One With Nothing into the set or anything. It's just embarrassing and a waste of space in the cycle.
It would be an auto-include in formats that require you to play singleton anyway - that's unavoidable. It could be a 5 mana 1/1 with no text and still be an auto-include there.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It affects ~33-36 nonland cards. Hearthstone has sometimes had multiple singleton payoffs, but the deck has also been playable with just one payoff that wasn't guaranteed to start in your hand as an extra card.

hearthstone also had a much flatter power level though. highlander decks in hs just played a few slightly suboptimal minions/removal spells that were still reasonable against the field. trying to hit 60 cards in mtg standard forces you to remove a lot of busted chase cards and replace them with things that can't possibly compete with uro, nissa, dream trawler, etc. etc.

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Okay cool thanks.

I also want to make a Gyruda deck although I imagine my table wouldn't take kindly to me playing four copies of it (we're a pretty low power level group).

You can only declare one card as your Companion, and only cast it from outside the game once. Doesn't matter how many are in your sideboard. Gyruda doesn't break it's own stipulation though, so you could have up to three in your main deck and still use a fourth as your Companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

little munchkin posted:

hearthstone also had a much flatter power level though. highlander decks in hs just played a few slightly suboptimal minions/removal spells that were still reasonable against the field. trying to hit 60 cards in mtg standard forces you to remove a lot of busted chase cards and replace them with things that can't possibly compete with uro, nissa, dream trawler, etc. etc.

Also the strongest HS cards can already only be played as one-ofs.