Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Gunnery practice was a thing in the Age of Sail, and naval officers talking shop or writing papers would have arguments over whether you wanted to fight at range or just get yardarm to yardarm and fire broadsides faster than the other guy. The fact that those debates happened says that accuracy was a real option.

But that's accuracy vs. a similar ship: fairly large and fairly slow, with a fairly predictable course. PT boats are comparatively small and vastly faster and more maneuverable.

I'm reminded of the Martians in War of the Worlds: they weren't invulnerable, with artillery fire and the Thunder Child managing to kill a few tripods. But they were extremely difficult target to hit with turn-of-the-century weaponry due to their small size and speed. And that's pre-dreadnought ironclads, with powered gun turrets that can track and elevate through a wide range of angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pretty sure you could arm the PT boat with nothing but equivalent cannons and it would still do really bad things to a sailing warship. The ability to move completely independent of the wind, and the obscene speed advantage would be decisive.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh wait I missed the context. In that case the PT boat just sits on the frigate's stern and shoots away the rudder, then bits of the rigging for fun, then demands surrender.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
What do we mean by "at range" for an age of sail cannon? 250 yards? A thousand? Two thousand? My knowledge of this class of weapons is zero.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

What do we mean by "at range" for an age of sail cannon? 250 yards? A thousand? Two thousand? My knowledge of this class of weapons is zero.

Massive number of variables here, but two skilled frigates might shoot it out at 800 yards. You could go for rigging at that range but probably not expect to do much to the hull of a ship.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The .50s and a 20mm are good out to about 2000 yards, and a 40mm can hit past 3000 yards. There's also the 37mm stolen adapted from P-39s, those have an anti-tank gun heritage and might be able to get a shell through a foot or two of wood. Against even a frigate's sides you'll have to chew your way through 2 feet of oak, but it's perfectly possible. The boat's guns can hurt the ship itself from out of range of any return fire, and they'll cut the crew down while they're at it. The Russians had some armored gunboats with tank turrets on them, they might be able to tank cannonballs, and a 76mm HEAT round would be devastating to a ship's sides. A couple of those into the gun decks is going to light off some gunpowder.

What's really going to mess the sailing ship up, and badly, is incendiary effects. API and I ammo is available for the .50s, and the cannons will be starting fires too. And the only thing that will save the crew if the PT goes for a rake is that the boat will be shooting at an upwards angle if they're close. I'm pretty sure the boat could rake the ship from astern at a 1000 yards with the .50s - just shoot in through the windows. There's not much to stop a .50 round other than the guns, and you'll get ricochets and fragments from hits to the guns.

Even with the flintlock firing mechanisms I don't think you can lead a moving PT boat with a black powder cannon. You'd have to just shoot a lot of them at an area and hope the boat is passing through. Any hit could be really bad. Even a 12-lb ball is going right through a PT boat unless it hits an engine, and it's going to wreck that engine. To make matters worse, at range a cannonball is likely to be coming in at a downward angle and exit under water. What happens if the PT strays into range of canister rounds is going to be loud, messy, and fatal for the boat. Remember, only the Germans armored their boats at all, and even they just had armored conning towers. Everyone else was tooling around in hulls made out of half-inch plywood, with the crews almost completely exposed.

Okay, now I'll put my War Thunder hat on. You can spray targets smaller than even a 65th rate with automatic fire from 20mm and .50s out to 2000 yards. They don't call them Tall Ships for nothing, they present an amazing target profile for WW2/modern automatic weapons. Just the thought of taking on such a target is making me giggle.

Try PT boats in War Thunder, they're great fun.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Captain von Trapp posted:

A British 32-pounder with its maximum 10-lb powder charge (8-lbs was the norm) could physically throw a ball over 2000 yards, but at those ranges aiming at anything more specific than 'the ship' is next to impossible and the ball will have lost most of its energy when it lands. The effective range was about 1000 yards, which was generally considered the upper limit of 'gunshot range' when making action reports etc. At that range you had a chance of being able to damage the target's rigging. That becomes much more likely at about 750 yards, at which point you'll also start doing damage to the hull - not full-on splinter-shredding but enough to open up seams and split timbers. Close to 500 yards and the splinters start flying. At 300 yards a 32-pounder could easily penetrate ten inches or so of wood planking. Get to grappling/boarding distances - 50 yards and less - and that 32-lb shot is going 'clean' (apart from the thousands of splinters...) through up to four feet of solid oak.

Carronades were light and short-barreled so they couldn't throw shot as far, but their lightness allowed them to be mounted up high so you could pour heavy shot onto an enemy's decks - a 24-pounder carronade had a maximum effective range of about 450 yards.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alchenar posted:

Oh wait I missed the context. In that case the PT boat just sits on the frigate's stern and shoots away the rudder, then bits of the rigging for fun, then demands surrender.

This. The PT boat's crew would have to actively want to be shot at. Full speed, not caring about the wind, get up in the frigate's posterior and lay waste with nothing to fear but muskets.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are Age of Sail cannons any good at all against a highly mobile target? My impression was that there's a fuse that has to burn down to set off the powder and launch the projectile, and the amount of time that takes is pretty variable, which would make carefully-timed shots pretty dicey. And they can't really track...do they even elevate at all?

before the friction primer and the weird flintlock cannon they used a linstock. the fuse sticking out of the vent is from cowboy movies.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PeterCat posted:

Was male beauty viewed that much differently during that time period?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwqP_yoszCE
yes. you are not not allowed to say a dude's hot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cythereal posted:

This. The PT boat's crew would have to actively want to be shot at. Full speed, not caring about the wind, get up in the frigate's posterior and lay waste with nothing to fear but muskets.

Or maybe the stern chasers, but being anywhere near the stern of the victim ship is going to be profoundly unhealthy once the .50s open up. Even being below the waterline farther forward is going to be bad once the fires take hold.

We forgot the depth charges ! The PT absolutely doesn't want to get in close enough until the victim ship has been thoroughly suppressed, and by then it's probably well afire, but a depth charge will open every seam in the ship simultaneously.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

HEY GUNS posted:

yes. you are not not allowed to say a dude's hot.

I was hoping for something less petulant

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the maneuverability of the PT boat is likely so high that it could easily stay at a diagonal to the man o' war where none of the cannons can really angle to get a shot off.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PeterCat posted:

I was hoping for something less petulant

it's not petulant, it's the truth and i had meat grease on one hand. it's completely fine to notice that a dude is hot in The Past.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Alchenar posted:

Massive number of variables here, but two skilled frigates might shoot it out at 800 yards. You could go for rigging at that range but probably not expect to do much to the hull of a ship.

In that case I'm going to agree with the thread consensus of "stay back and shoot it until it catches on fire".

With a more modern PT boat, given the no torpedoes restriction, I'd say fire an ATGM from a kilometer out and call it a day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why would a PT boat even need to use guns? A single torpedo with a contact detonator would blow any wooden ship to Hell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why would a PT boat even need to use guns? A single torpedo with a contact detonator would blow any wooden ship to Hell.

That's why I specified "no torpedos." If you start allowing 1940s explosives, a single man is enough to sink an 18th century warship.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

mllaneza posted:

The .50s and a 20mm are good out to about 2000 yards, and a 40mm can hit past 3000 yards. There's also the 37mm stolen adapted from P-39s, those have an anti-tank gun heritage and might be able to get a shell through a foot or two of wood.

Rifle rounds will go through tree trunks up to about two feet thick pretty easily. I don't know exactly how many feet of wood a 40mm cannon will go through but it's gotta be at least ten.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How did they do the superthick hulls? Big trees? Multiple layers?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pryor on Fire posted:

Rifle rounds will go through tree trunks up to about two feet thick pretty easily. I don't know exactly how many feet of wood a 40mm cannon will go through but it's gotta be at least ten.

There's a reason why iron-clad hulls pretty much instantly obsoleted old wooden hulls. Some of the ships of the line had rather massively thick wooden sides and the iron plating start to replace them (well, supplement as much as replace) with a far bigger savings in total bulk. Of course the guns got better too so the iron had to get thicker, and then steel was incorporated, and then you had cemented armor, and then...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If it's a pre-1943 torpedo then there's a good chance the torpedo goers under the target, goes cluck and fails to do anything, or the gyro goes crazy and sinks the PT boat.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

One of the targets PT boats were used for were shallow draft barges and landing craft, which tended not to set off torpedoes. They were used against all sorts of soft shoreline and littoral targets, though, and once they started getting upgunned to 40mm they were used in an infantry fire support role on top of everything else. If you've got the production capacity to crank them out and the logistics to keep them out at the end of your supply chain, it gives your enemies a tremendous headache to have a bunch of fast cannon armed craft out there chewing up anything that's not a real warship.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Were the 40s on PT boats high velocity cannon designed to penetrate armour, or relatively low velocity HE lobbers?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Laughing at the PT boat desperately running away not from the enemy but it's own weapons

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

If it's a pre-1943 torpedo then there's a good chance the torpedo goers under the target, goes cluck and fails to do anything, or the gyro goes crazy and sinks the PT boat.

Jokes about inferior American torpedo impact triggers aside, PT boats are faster than torpedoes so at the very least a self-kill should be out of the question.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Don't torpedoes sometimes either accidentally get armed or don't properly launch, leaving a live explosive to deal with?

At least I read about that happening with submarines.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jokes about inferior American torpedo impact triggers aside, PT boats are faster than torpedoes so at the very least a self-kill should be out of the question.

They'll make it back to base and head to the barracks. They'll open the door and the torpedo will be waiting for them

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PeterCat posted:

In 1519, when Henry VIII was just twenty-eight years of age, the Venetian Ambassador Sebastian Giustinian visited the English court. He had the honour of seeing Henry VIII and recorded that he was "extremely handsome; nature could not have done more for him. He had a beard which looks like gold and a complexion as delicate and far as a woman's" (Fraser, p. 66). He also stated that it was the "prettiest thing in the world to see the King playing tennis, his fair skin glowing through a shirt of the finest texture".

This may or may not have been embellished for political reasons, but it still meant this was okay. Nobody was going into gay panic reading it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

"that's impossible, unfeasible and all around silly" you might say. What, like a time travelling PT boat is more likely?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
maybe its a Victorian ship from Victoria: 4th Generation war regressing back in time to the pure days of sailing ships.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This may or may not have been embellished for political reasons, but it still meant this was okay. Nobody was going into gay panic reading it
absolutely everyone is ok with saying a good looking dude looks good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Were the 40s on PT boats high velocity cannon designed to penetrate armour, or relatively low velocity HE lobbers?

US PTs used Bofors 40mm AA guns, L60 caliber and very high velocity. The British used a mix of the Bofors and their domestic 2 lbr, with the Bofors being the better gun. The Germans topped out at their 37mm AT gun in a QF mounting.

The Lone Badger posted:

How did they do the superthick hulls? Big trees? Multiple layers?

Ideally big trees, but multiple layers if supplies were short of the good stuff or too expensive for a cheap warship. They went so far as to bind trees so that branches would grow at just the right angle to make a Y-joint with the trunk when fully grown.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 14, 2020

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Chillyrabbit posted:

maybe its a Victorian ship from Victoria: 4th Generation war regressing back in time to the pure days of sailing ships.

don't remind me of that book

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

mllaneza posted:

US PTs used Bofors 40mm AA guns, L60 caliber and very high velocity. The British used a mix of the Bofors and their domestic 2 lbr, with the Bofors being the better gun. The Germans topped out at their 37mm AT gun in a QF mounting.

The RN used no less than five 40mm guns on its light craft. The 2-pdr Mk VIII was the famous 'pom-pom', basically a Vickers/Maxim MG scaled up to 40mm calibre. It fired a slightly heavier shell than the Bofors, but had a lower rate of fire and muzzle velocity. The Mk XI and XII were developed from the sub-calibre guns used for target practice on destroyers. These guns were mainly used on the smaller, slower Harbour Defence Motor Launches. The Mk XI had a short barrel and was used to fire case rounds, while the Mk XII was a more versatile weapon. They were low-velocity guns, especially the Mk XI, and to inaccurate to use at ranges over 1,500 yards. The last 2-pdr gun used was the Mk XIV, a semi-automatic weapon designed by Rolls-Royce. Pressed into service before it was fully ready, it was poorly balanced and hard to use in a seaway, but had a fair rate of fire. Details on the ammunition are scarce, but I think it fired the same rounds as the Mk VIII. Finally, we have the 40mm Bofors gun.

The RN also had a number of heavier weapons. Old 3 and 6 pounder Hotchkiss guns, developed in the 1880s, and still in service as saluting guns, were used on a significant number of gunboats. While obsolete, they were fairly effective HE chuckers. The Army's 6-pdr AT gun was also used, when fitted with the Molins auto-loader also used on the Mosquito. The propellant charge was reduced to limit flash, and only HE shells were carried. With a rate of fire up to 40 rounds a minute and a heavy shell, it was a very effective weapon. Towards the end of the war, they were developing a light 4.5in gun, though this didn't enter service until after the war.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

absolutely everyone is ok with saying a good looking dude looks good.

Also, no one gives a poo poo about sexual violence against women, so "drat, he's hot so I'll let him get away with it" isn't really an issue.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I've used all of those extra, lovely, 40mm guns in WT, and I've been very diligent about killing the brain cells that remember the experience. Thank you.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Go into hypnosis, and tell us how it was. It's for science :science:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Also, no one gives a poo poo about sexual violence against women, so "drat, he's hot so I'll let him get away with it" isn't really an issue.

I felt like it was more "Ah, yeah, I can see why my daughter let you do that now. Pretty understandable really."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

the Thunder Child managing to kill a few tripods. But they were extremely difficult target to hit with turn-of-the-century weaponry due to their small size and speed. And that's pre-dreadnought ironclads, with powered gun turrets that can track and elevate through a wide range of angles.

Actually Thunder Child was one of these, more or less, not a battleship (and not armed with battleship-sized guns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Actually Thunder Child was one of these, more or less, not a battleship (and not armed with battleship-sized guns).

Actually Actually it's complicated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQBund8uLmo