Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Flopsy posted:

I loving love her. After all the quiet dewy eyed love interests we've been given over the years hearing her curse like a sailor, openly salivate over dressing Cloud in drag and flat out say Sephiroth can gently caress himself I'm convinced she's a goddamn goddess.

Don't forget Aerith dunking on one of Corneo's thugs with a chair :hellyeah:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

lezard_valeth posted:

Don't forget Aerith dunking on one of Corneo's thugs with a chair :hellyeah:

I laughed so hard at that, incredible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HD DAD posted:

So, the (optional) Aerith dream sequence at the beginning of Chapter 14. Did anyone else get the feeling that was her talking to Cloud after her death?
If you're reading the whole thing as some kind of predestination time loop, which imo seems pretty clear, the whole game takes place after her death. Considering Aerith, Cloud, and Marlene all know it has happened/will happen

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This drywall are load-bearing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

I laughed so hard at that, incredible.

Aerith is the apex of all final fantasy female progtags and we're never going to get another like her. :(

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is the war with Wutai gone a bit differently in the remake? IIRC, in the original Midgar's victory was so final, they turned Wutai into a tourist attraction, but in the remake it seems Wutai still maintains independence and in fact, the war is just on pause (cease-fire) rather than over and done with?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 14, 2020

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Red XIII dunking all over Barrett was wonderful and I hope Vincent gets the same treatment from Cid and Yuffie in the sequel.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just beat it, not super sure whats going on at the moment and I fought Darkside so but I'm pretty sure that was loving amazing and I don't know whats going to happen anymore and thats loving rad.

I'm loving stoked!

Were did the Avalanche dudes who were supposed to be attacking Shinra HQ go?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it was just that one helicopter that that exploded lol

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
there's a 4chan thread where they are having fun inserting Whispers into various situations that need fixing. most are trash but then you get

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Thinking on it, the main branch of Avalanche is probably led by like... loving Bugenhagen or something isn't it?

Also that Rufus fight was pretty loving cool even if he immediately folded after his dog ran off, Like I was expecting a drag out final phase and then his health bar just kinda melted to like one Counterstance, odd.

I have no idea if Jessie and Wedge are okay or what is going on with Zack at the end there. Like loving Sora could have shown up in that ending and I wouldn't have blinked.

You know actually it's been awhile why was Zack dragging Cloud to Midgar anyway? Seems like a bad place to hang out if your on Shinra's poo poo list. I should to bed, gently caress.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 14, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Red XIII dunking all over Barrett was wonderful and I hope Vincent gets the same treatment from Cid and Yuffie in the sequel.

I hope the game doesn't try to gloss over what a colossal piece of poo poo Lucrecia was. Seriously she and her husband hosed it all to hell and I feel like she gets a slap on the wrist narrative wise. I guess she could be salvaged if they dropped everything Dirge of Cerebus established about her but even then that's a stretch. I'm genuinely curious what he ever saw in her, all she did was ruin his life at every turn and then hosed off into a crystal.

edit: To make sure I'm not getting it wrong about her I just looked back at Dirge of Cerebus...I'm so unspeakably glad they've scrubbed the timeline and are starting over now holy gently caress...

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 14, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

lezard_valeth posted:

you are encouraged to play the original game to fully understand what's going on

That loving sucks though.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

That loving sucks though.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's trying to get you to play the original. The ghosts are more or less there to force things to happen the way they do in the 97 version, right? So basically it's the game saying they wanted to maybe change how this plays out but the ghosts of game past won't let it, so it still happens in more or less the same way. Until you kill them, so it's now YOUR fault if the story takes different turns.

Also, I only played and finished FF9VII once about 10 years ago and what I remember is I finished it, had a cool time and very little idea what was going on. A year or so ago I read some recaps because of remake hype. Still had very little idea what the hell was going on. So the game being incomprehensible is not exactly new.
I kinda want to play it again now because I need more. Is the switch version a good way to do it?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ledenko posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say it's trying to get you to play the original. The ghosts are more or less there to force things to happen the way they do in the 97 version, right? So basically it's the game saying they wanted to maybe change how this plays out but the ghosts of game past won't let it, so it still happens in more or less the same way. Until you kill them, so it's now YOUR fault if the story takes different turns.

Also, I only played and finished FF9VII once about 10 years ago and what I remember is I finished it, had a cool time and very little idea what was going on. A year or so ago I read some recaps because of remake hype. Still had very little idea what the hell was going on. So the game being incomprehensible is not exactly new.
I kinda want to play it again now because I need more. Is the switch version a good way to do it?

I think I'm just salty because I feel like the PS1-era FF games haven't aged great (although I feel FF8/9 have aged *far* better than FF7), so I was excited to play through an updated, expanded FF7 with better graphics. Plus, I was excited to share it with my wife.

I feel like there's also a difference between expanding the story and changing the story. I'm fine with the former, I'm super annoyed with the latter. I wanted something familiar, not something new.

"now they can take the story any direction they want" is the absolute last thing I want to hear.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I think I'm just salty because I feel like the PS1-era FF games haven't aged great (although I feel FF8/9 have aged *far* better than FF7), so I was excited to play through an updated, expanded FF7 with better graphics. Plus, I was excited to share it with my wife.

I feel like there's also a difference between expanding the story and changing the story. I'm fine with the former, I'm super annoyed with the latter. I wanted something familiar, not something new.

"now they can take the story any direction they want" is the absolute last thing I want to hear.

I feel/hope they won't just gently caress off in whatever direction because apart from the original, there's also a bunch of other ff7 related stuff that would be invalidated with major changes - there's Crisis Core, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, tie-in anime etc. They've shown they know the original and I'm hoping this is just a way of saying they'll keep the spirit of the story while making changes they feel will work better. Besides, xXxSeflrothxXx69's plans remain the same, right? Regardles of fate fuckery, he wants to destroy the planet and the guys want to stop him.

Also it could all be a cheap device to create tension in players because now you're not sure if stuff that happened will happen again. So they'll change some stuff and then still skewer Aeristh. Even if it plays out exactly the same, look at all the speculation about a game that won't be out for years.

Third option, they're just insane :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
yeah boy it sure would be a shame if Advent Children and Dirge were invalidated

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ledenko posted:

I feel/hope they won't just gently caress off in whatever direction because apart from the original, there's also a bunch of other ff7 related stuff that would be invalidated with major changes - there's Crisis Core, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, tie-in anime etc. They've shown they know the original and I'm hoping this is just a way of saying they'll keep the spirit of the story while making changes they feel will work better. Besides, xXxSeflrothxXx69's plans remain the same, right? Regardles of fate fuckery, he wants to destroy the planet and the guys want to stop him.

Also it could all be a cheap device to create tension in players because now you're not sure if stuff that happened will happen again. So they'll change some stuff and then still skewer Aeristh. Even if it plays out exactly the same, look at all the speculation about a game that won't be out for years.

Third option, they're just insane :shrug:

Uhhhh...I don't know if you've heard but FF7R is a separate continuity from the compilation, hence the difference voice actors. We truly are heading into uncharted territory.

kirbysuperstar posted:

DILLY DALLY SHILLY SHALLY!! :shepface:

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 14, 2020

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
It really is a shame Tabatha left Square Enix after FF15. I would have liked to see him take over after the sequel.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
All the character motivations should remain roughly the same, so I can't imagine the story going completely off the rails at first. Like, you're still chasing down Sephiroth, you still need to go through Junon and Corel and the Golden Saucer, etc.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
That shot where the game recreates the original box art outside of Shinra HQ just about made me jizz my pants, holy hell was there a lot of love put into this game

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Clarste posted:

Like, you're still chasing down Sephiroth, you still need to go through Junon and Corel and the Golden Saucer, etc.

This reminds me to update my wishlist for part 2 with:

1) A lady sunbathing in Costa del Sol when suddenly she spots Sephiroth walking out of the ocean holding a golden ticket
2) Hojo sunbathing with his lab coat on surrounded by hot babes

you better stay faithful to the original on these Squarenix or there'll be hell to pay :argh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just think that us having the questions of like "Oh, why is Zach alive?" "Is Aerith going to die this time?" are the last things I wanted to come out of this.

I liked that Sephiroth was kept as mostly a mystery throughout your time in Midgar. I find it obnoxious how much face time he gets in this game.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I just think that us having the questions of like "Oh, why is Zach alive?" "Is Aerith going to die this time?" are the last things I wanted to come out of this.

I liked that Sephiroth was kept as mostly a mystery throughout your time in Midgar. I find it obnoxious how much face time he gets in this game.

My wish list is a lot simpler.

1. Let Cloud date Roche

2. Let Tifa and Aerith date

3. Confirm Reno x Rude

As you can see I have very important expectations.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I know. But still, someone wrote that story, someone else directed the movie and someone had a huge hardon for heavy metal and then they even released a director's cut. I actually kinda liked it and was thinking it'd be cool if they remade it as part of this new series. Although I'd be cool with them changing some things, like the entire story. Maybe just keep Cloud finding himself. And DILLY DALLY SHILLY SHALLY.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
1. Let Cloud date Barret

2. Confirm if Heidegger x Scarlet is a thing

3. Don't normalize Lucretia

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the twist of Final Fantasy VII Remake-2 is going to be that you were actually playing as Zack this whole time.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 14, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

1. Let Cloud date Barret

2. Confirm if Heidegger x Scarlet is a thing

3. Don't normalize Lucretia

Thought the first two were already confirmed in the original. Huh.

Also 100% yes to the last one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ghouldaddy07 posted:

It really is a shame Tabata left Square Enix after FF15. I would have liked to see him take over after the sequel.

I wouldn't.

He makes poo poo to play games, from Crisis Core to Type-0 to the Third loving Birthday to XV, his games are not fun. They're usually same depressed ending where everyone dies because that's all he knows how to do. And he had no connection to the original FF7. Say what you want about Nomura. He wrote the original story that would be adapted into 7, and was involved in the development of the game as more than just an artist/graphic person.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
A cool moment I liked is when Barret pulled Shinra up instead of letting him fall off the building, kinda mirroring what happened with Dyne but it's the defying fate version. Imagine if pres Shinra came back with a gun arm.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Raxivace posted:

I think the twist of Final Fantasy VII Remake-2 is going to be that you were actually playing as Zack this whole time.

"SOLDIER 1st Class Cloud York Strife. But please, call me York. That's what everyone calls me."

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

As someone who by good luck alone managed to dodge Dirge, what's the backstory on Lucretia? I don't remember her being super terrible in the original FF7 (beyond the obviously very lovely "let a scientist inject random alien cells into my unborn baby" caveat).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
She's basically somebody who ignored very valid warnings about her nutjob colleague and then let said nutjob colleague do human experimentation on both Vincent and her kid.

I mean Vincent has some level of Nice Guy going on but really, Hojo is a freak and Lucretia just somehow subscribed to the blinders of SCIENCE IS PROGRESSION that every top Shinra person other than Gast and Reeve drank the Kool-Aid for.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not immersed enough in compilation lore to have recognized Kyrie, so I was convinced for a minute that they were introducing Yuffie in disguise in this episode

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I'm not immersed enough in compilation lore to have recognized Kyrie, so I was convinced for a minute that they were introducing Yuffie in disguise in this episode

Wow, thanks for letting me know that she's actually a pre-established character and not someone they just made up like Roche? Apparently Leslie too, huh.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Caidin posted:

Thinking on it, the main branch of Avalanche is probably led by like... loving Bugenhagen or something isn't it?

Avalanche was formed in Cosmo Canyon but might be a good fit for Fort Condor if it's added to the next game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

canepazzo posted:

Is the war with Wutai gone a bit differently in the remake? IIRC, in the original Midgar's victory was so final, they turned Wutai into a tourist attraction, but in the remake it seems Wutai still maintains independence and in fact, the was is just on pause (cease-fire) rather than over and done with?

It could be 100% bullshit we don't know anything about Wutai except what Shinra says.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

As someone who by good luck alone managed to dodge Dirge, what's the backstory on Lucretia? I don't remember her being super terrible in the original FF7 (beyond the obviously very lovely "let a scientist inject random alien cells into my unborn baby" caveat).

Lucrecia in the expanded Dirge of Cerberus lore was a research assistant of Vincent's daddy, Grimoire, who was studying 'Chaos and Omega' which is the idea that when the Planet's reaching its end, Chaos will kill everyone to send them all to the Lifestream and then Omega will absorb it all to shoot off like a giant rocket into space and join the Space Lifestream. Grimoire gets blown up, and Lucrecia meets Vincent while working on the Jenova Project with Gast and Hojo. Vincent crushes hard on a girl who used to crush on his dad but had no balls so he never told her how he felt, instead letting her have sex with Hojo (pictured for reference)

So they could inject her pregnant fetus with Jenova cells because... "gently caress it, let's see what happens." This is Sephiroth by the way, Lucrecia is Sephiroth's mother. Then Hojo shot Vincent, Lucrecia ressurected him with Chaos, and then Hojo decided "Well gently caress, let's see what other experiments I can do to him!" And turned him into a vampire-werewolf-frankenstein-chainsaw murderer. Lucrecia then... feels really loving guilty, and is immortal due to Jenova cells, so she fucks off to a cave to feel really sorry for herself until she lets herself be encased in Crystal. She then constantly uses her immortal psychic powers to keep telling Vincent she's sorry. She's technically still alive and can stop being crystal whenever she wants, but she feels really sorry about willfully having sex with Hojo and turning her unborn baby into a monster. So sorry, not sorry enough to attempt to atone in any way with her immortal body, but she just feels really awful about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Lucretia was the lab assistent to Vincent's father, Grimore (yes, really). The two of them were researching Cetra legends and eventually this resulted in Grimore dying protecting Lucretia. Shinra assigns rookie Turk Vincent to bodyguard Lucretia because they're dicks like that. Vincent falls for her but he's too much of a dweep to do anything and she's too guilt-ridden to be straight with him. Eventually Vincent is too dopey so Lucretia rebounds on Hojo of all people. Vincent is "OK" with this until the Sephiroth experiment comes up which is when Vincent confronts him and gets shot. Lucretia turns Vincent into... well, FF7 Vincent using SCIENCE and the old-rear end experiment she was working with Vincent's dad on. This makes him immortal and nearly invulnerable and he spends a few decades listening to her rant about how guilt-fueled she is. He then gets locked in the mansion basement, she uploads her mind to the internet (really) then goes to rest in the materia cave because she's guilty of stringing along Vincent and experimenting on her son.

That's the gist of it and boy is it obnoxious in the actual Dirge to the point "I'm sorry" is her catchphrase.