Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Just finished the game, not read the thread. But making the final boss the plot of FFVII is insane and audacious and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess with Aerith being more aware of what they're expected to do there's going to be a lot less random wandering and the story is going to get tightened up here quite bit.

On the other hand, isn't Aerith pulling for the group to defeat the Whispers? Even if she knows the path they're "supposed" to take, maybe she'll take a different path knowing where the first leads? (Possibly struggling with the morality of it until it's either too late or she realizes she has to sacrifice herself.)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Maybe the big death is going to be Cloud dying and then Zack replaces him. Wasn't Cloud originally supposed to look like Zack?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

On the other hand, isn't Aerith pulling for the group to defeat the Whispers? Even if she knows the path they're "supposed" to take, maybe she'll take a different path knowing where the first leads? (Possibly struggling with the morality of it until it's either too late or she realizes she has to sacrifice herself.)

That's my point though, initially they only have a rough idea of what they're doing and it involves a lot more aimlessness. Knowing what happens with the black materia most likely means Aerith is going to take some steps to help Cloud along with his mental issues before he comes into contact with it. Honestly the biggest problem facing the party is Cloud's inevitable mental breakdown. I can see her trying to address this earlier so he's in a better place when they reach that point. I'm not going to make any concrete predictions but I would think Aerith's priorities are Cloud getting his business in order so Sephiroth can't torture him into compliance and picking up the other members of the party.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decided to do the combat training sim stuff in chapter 16 and now there's a greyed out option to do some with Aerith, how do I get her to it?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, maybe it's based on who you talk to first in the sewer, like a bit of a callback to the affection point system in the original game. And I guess it might just default to Aerith if you haven't done it.

It's this. Outside of Aerith's house you can either talk to Tifa, astral projection Aerith, or Barret

It also comes to play again in the final fight the characters join you in the Sephiroth fight in order based on their highest to lowest affection

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 14, 2020

a friendly person
Feb 20, 2019
I will support whatever choices Square makes with the upcoming episodes (considering the quality of this one) as long as:

1) We still go to space
2) We still get a submarine
3) We still get to snowboard

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

a friendly person posted:

I will support whatever choices Square makes with the upcoming episodes (considering the quality of this one) as long as:

1) We still go to space

4) We go to the Gold Saucer

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So were do you guys expect the next game to get to. End of Disc 1, Middle of Disk 2?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

a friendly person posted:

1) We still go to space

I hope Roche shows up on the slopes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Assuming it doesn’t go completely off the rails, I would expect a part 2 to take the plot all the way through the first trip to the crater and the third to finish the game out.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
With how heavily they set it up at the end of part 1, part 2 will definitely end with the resolution of events at City of the Ancients, wether Aerith dies or survives and whatever consequences (most likely bad ones) that will bring

Then part 3, once people have come to terms with the fact that this is not a remake, will most likely be all new territory,

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

lezard_valeth posted:

Then part 3, once people have come to terms with the fact that this is not a remake, will most likely be all new territory,

Hopefully square also comes to term with it!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Flopsy posted:

God I hope they remove Cid's abusiveness towards Shera. What might've slid back in 97' ain't gon' play now. And I already said this but God I'm relieved Tseng is no long crushing on a child he used to watch over. Not to mention straight up slapping her so hard she hits the floor. These children are what we call "improvements"
Simple! In this timeline, Cid launched the rocket and fried Shera! TADAAAAAH!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

lezard_valeth posted:

It's this. Outside of Aerith's house you can either talk to Tifa, astral projection Aerith, or Barret

It also comes to play again in the final fight the characters join you in the Sephiroth fight in order based on their highest to lowest affection

I really did not grasp that. Also, I was so sure they removed most of the affection mechanics when they removed the choice of who to give the flower to.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tupperwarez posted:

Simple! In this timeline, Cid launched the rocket and fried Shera! TADAAAAAH!

She probably would've preferred that rather than put up with his aggressive bullshit afterward.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So my opinion is either city of the Ancients. Or Nibelheim. I expect the next game to start in nibel with playable level cap sephiroth. And therefore concluding in Nibel is good bookends.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't even true if you only play the original FF7.

It absolutely is, every word of it.

1. Aerith always maintains she never had deep feelings for Zack,
2. When we see the real flashback it's just him running into the Jenova room and then flying out defeated like a scrub a few seconds later
and
3. He dies getting pumped full of lead by a Shinra grunt.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

It absolutely is, every word of it.

1. Aerith always maintains she never had deep feelings for Zack,
2. When we see the real flashback it's just him running into the Jenova room and then flying out defeated like a scrub a few seconds later
and
3. He dies getting pumped full of lead by a Shinra grunt.

Hmm, you're being a weirdo about Zack who you obviously have some bizarre grudge against.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Popoto posted:

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, that's how I'd describe my final opinion of this Nomura headed 'REMAKE' of FF7.

I was ready to give this game a 10/10 and immediately start up a second, hard-mode playthrough of the game as a victory lap of what was 90% one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had.

23 years ago I wasn't even old enough to appreciate the OG FFVII, though a few years after it's release I did play through it and for myself, and many, many other now 20+ year old gamers, it was etched in my memory as the definitive RPG game and a wonderful, unique story told through arguably the most iconic cast of characters of all time in gaming.

It's 2020, and the so called 'REMAKE' that seemed like a mythical dream we all had that would never be realised, ala Half-Life 3, is finally here.

56 hours in and the game reaches an incredible crescendo of nostalgic boss after boss, massive set pieces that were only polygons interpreted into imagined epic scenes back in 1997, are finally fully realised with glorious graphics and sound.

However, throughout the journey I kept getting a sick feeling in my stomach. These hooded sand-ghosts flying around scenes and influencing the action, I kept trying to interpret this new addition to the narrative, I tried to settle on it just being a device to show the planet trying to direct the heroes on their path, or even Jenova cells deceiving them.

Something just didn't quite sit right though, they looked, and behaved quite like 'Nobodies' in the KH series, a thought which broke the immersion and brought me back to a reality where Tetsuya Nomura was at the helm.

I remember how awful the KH series had become, how much of a let down FFXV was, how convoluted and contrived the plots were, and how cringeworthy the FFVII expanded universe had been (perhaps bar some parts of Crisis Core, though a lot of it was very, very 'anime').

And so, with that sick feeling in my stomach I reached the last few chapter of the game, knowing in the back of my mind that things were about to go off the rails, at least to some extent.

Suffice to say, things were worse than I could have imagined. I don't need to describe the events of the end of this game, but it was truly, truly disappointing, and actually quite saddening, to see what could have been such a celebration and honouring of an all-time classic be corrupted.

After the end credits I found myself quite upset if I'm being honest. It's the same sort of feeling that the final season of GOT gave me, or that feeling when a band you love 'sells out' and starts playing cheap, formulaic pop songs.

There's quite a few thoughts and questions I've been ruminating over, now that I'm starting to digest what's been done in this game.

Why did they call it 'REMAKE' and not advertise it as a completely new story, or even a sequel (I think the events of the game point towards it being more of the latter)? I think I would have not pre-ordered, and would have set my expectations very differently, had this been the case. I suspect money could be the only reason I feel duped as a fan of the original.

Who decided that the story should be drastically changed, and indeed be changed by none other than one of the stinkiest, hack-iest tropes of story telling in time-travel and alternative universes? I suspect Nomura had a big hand in this, given his track record on creating absolute messes of narratives in recent game he's been heavily involved in.

The thought that angers me most is that the original FFVII is a piece of art, it's no longer something should be though of as solely owned by its creators. It's in the hearts of many, many fans, who give the game and story its honoured place as a classic through their fandom and love for it.

The more and more I think about it, I feel like Nomura and co. have little to no respect for the fans that have given their work this love, and perhaps even harbour some contempt for them wanting to see their childhood imagination and memories of the story realised as they deserve to be.

There is a certain arrogance to twisting this world and story to their own whim, as if to say that "this is our world, our characters, what you fans think means nothing to us, we can do what we want with them and you can get f**ked if you disagree".

Perhaps I will come to terms with the fact that there will probably now never be a full and proper remake of this game, keeping the original, impeccable narrative intact, whilst fleshing out the world and characters in a tasteful fashion. The first 90% of this game achieved this goal, just to throw it out in the final hour or so.

Perhaps I'll let it go one day, and try to enjoy the sequel, though I won't hold my breath given how truly awful the new writing at the end of this game was

You were so, so close to perfection, but I suspect egos, pay-checks, and influence are too much a factor at Square-Enix.
________/

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
there's a lot of other good ones if you search for the "1" scores on metacritic

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like Zack and I'm sad they replaced his VA.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are some quality meltdowns scattered around Reddit as well. Go anywhere they're discussing the FFVII Remake and search for "ending" and you'll turn up some pretty potent salt mountains.

There's a decent amount of people who either like the ending or are open to seeing where this goes, but far more people who are extremely upset and writing very long and very bad attempts at essays about it while cursing Nomura's name. Though at least a couple people said they hated it and were super pissed but after a couple days they came to terms with it and are kind of excited to see what happens next. Maybe that'll spread.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The day Square invented the Time Janitors is the day I lost my ability to feel human.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I'm not super fond of the last 20% of the game, but this is a company that has been extremely faithful to the amount of details that they've transplanted from the original game. I'm sure that they're smart enough to know exactly how much they want to leave in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I felt like the changes to the whole bloodtrail sequence leading up to a dead Shinra were significantly worse than the original though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

There are some quality meltdowns scattered around Reddit as well. Go anywhere they're discussing the FFVII Remake and search for "ending" and you'll turn up some pretty potent salt mountains.

There's a decent amount of people who either like the ending or are open to seeing where this goes, but far more people who are extremely upset and writing very long and very bad attempts at essays about it while cursing Nomura's name. Though at least a couple people said they hated it and were super pissed but after a couple days they came to terms with it and are kind of excited to see what happens next. Maybe that'll spread.

Honestly I like it. I like the potential for things to go in new and interesting ways mostly because I've had every instance of the original game hammered into my skull for decades. And I'll shamelessly say I'm hoping some of my favorite side characters get juicier parts in the plot. For example Rufus loving ruled in this, like he's a genuinely intimidating presence and I won't lie hot as gently caress. I like his new voice actor better too. Actually like all of em' better except Quintin Flynn and that's just because he was flawless for the part.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the actually good takes I saw on Reddit was like--this game spends like 30 hours showing us that the team gets it. They get the characters, the world, and what made people love FFVII in the first place. Then the ending tells us that we can expect some new twists on those in the future. But given just how much the rest of the game absolutely nails it, maybe the rest of the remake--or at least the next part--deserves the benefit of the doubt.

It'd be one thing if we got 30 hours of lovely Advent Children-ized versions of the characters with an awful, dreary tone, but we didn't. We got a really faithful (in tone and character, if not plot) remake of the beginning of Final Fantasy VII. To me, that says that while the rest of the plot might diverge, it'll be true to the characters and the world, and honestly, that'll do a lot.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
It's ok not to like the last 1-2 hours of the game, but to condemn the whole game because of it is stupid.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 14, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Flopsy posted:

Honestly I like it. I like the potential for things to go in new and interesting ways mostly because I've had every instance of the original game hammered into my skull for decades.

The message that embracing an unknown future for the hope of a better world even if it means the possibility of discomfort and disappointment is better than shrouding yourself in comforting familiarity and dying a quiet placated death is so powerful and relevant and refreshing, and leveraging a beloved property like this to tell it gives it a unique impact. It's brilliant on so many levels, just like how FF7 wasn't the first game to use pre-rendered graphics and FMVs but it used them in a way that captured the imagination of a generation the remake is taking the growing movement towards meta and fourth wall breaking storytelling in games and using it in a way nobody else has done before. I genuinely love it and for the first time in 15 years I'm actively looking forward to a new Final Fantasy game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

It's ok not to like the last 1-2 hours of the game, but to condemn the whole game because of it is stupid.

I think a lot of it is that some of these posters were really excited for the rest of the remake after the Midgar part and to have the ending say "all those things you were really looking forward to might not happen now" is sending some people into spirals. It's less that they're cursing the whole game--at least on Reddit, I can't speak for the Metacritic whine-reviews--and more that their excitement for the rest of the remake episodes has cratered. That's what they're all reacting to, I think.

Though really, my take is like my last post--they've shown us through this part of the remake that they really get the characters and FFVII as a whole. If they're taking things in a new direction from there, it might still feel true to what people loved, and that's going to be really important. Which is why I'm still excited, basically.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I would have been a lot happier with the changes if they just...hadn't bothered to use Time Ghosts as an excuse to make things different? Just make them different, don't circle jerk yourselves in this weird and inconsistent metaplot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just finished my first playthrough. Folks this ending was WILD. I loving loved it!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Decided to do the combat training sim stuff in chapter 16 and now there's a greyed out option to do some with Aerith, how do I get her to it?

You have to go to chapter 17.

Edit: There will be a room behind Chadley who has now shown up. The new combat sim is in there.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Captain Oblivious posted:

I would have been a lot happier with the changes if they just...hadn't bothered to use Time Ghosts as an excuse to make things different? Just make them different, don't circle jerk yourselves in this weird and inconsistent metaplot.

Thing is, if they had gone and made things different they'd have an even bigger angry mob at their doors, because then they would be retconning.

At least the approach they took does not invalidate the original game but rather you are encouraged to play the original game to fully understand what's going on

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just finished my first playthrough. Folks this ending was WILD. I loving loved it!

I feel like we're a rare breed at the moment but seriously I thought it was fine. Aerith also gets a bomb rear end one liner concerning Sephiroth:

Cloud: He's tough.

Aerith:"Yeah? So what? Screw him."

This rules and anybody who says otherwise is nuts. I like this version of Aerith better than saint we've been given over the last twenty years or so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aerith is absolutely the best character in the remake and I'll hear no arguments to the contrary. She's just so much fun.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So, the (optional) Aerith dream sequence at the beginning of Chapter 14. Did anyone else get the feeling that was her talking to Cloud after her death? On the surface, it could just seem like her mentally projecting herself to Cloud while she’s at the Shinra Building, mourning the Sector 7 victims as they return to the Lifestream. But the way she words things, how pained she looks, capped by saying how much she loved the time she spent with Cloud, it almost seemed like an apology of sorts.

And then her warning that his love for her isn’t real...she knows about Cloud’s identity crisis. And the final “if that’s what you want” in reference to him saving her at Shinra - it’s almost like she’s making sure that’s what the real Cloud wants, and not his Zack persona. It feels like she’s almost saying “I’m breaking fate, you’re free to do what you want. If you still want me, fine, but make sure it’s you that wants it”.

...or I could be reading way too far into it. It was just a really well-done scene in any case.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

Aerith is absolutely the best character in the remake and I'll hear no arguments to the contrary. She's just so much fun.

I loving love her. After all the quiet dewy eyed love interests we've been given over the years hearing her curse like a sailor, openly salivate over dressing Cloud in drag and flat out say Sephiroth can gently caress himself I'm convinced she's a goddamn goddess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

So, the (optional) Aerith dream sequence at the beginning of Chapter 14. Did anyone else get the feeling that was her talking to Cloud after her death? On the surface, it could just seem like her mentally projecting herself to Cloud while she’s at the Shinra Building, mourning the Sector 7 victims as they return to the Lifestream. But the way she words things, how pained she looks, capped by saying how much she loved the time she spent with Cloud, it almost seemed like an apology of sorts.

And then her warning that his love for her isn’t real...she knows about Cloud’s identity crisis. And the final “if that’s what you want” in reference to him saving her at Shinra - it’s almost like she’s making sure that’s what the real Cloud wants, and not his Zack persona. It feels like she’s almost saying “I’m breaking fate, you’re free to do what you want. If you still want me, fine, but make sure it’s you that wants it”.

...or I could be reading way too far into it. It was just a really well-done scene in any case.

Huh, I had no idea that was optional.

And I don't think you're reading too much into it at all. The way I read it was that she was projecting herself from the Shinra building but all her talk about how much she loved her time with Cloud definitely has the feeling of someone speaking from the future.