Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Great Autismo! posted:

the black American girl I’m friends with has a ton of Facebook photo albums called like “rude people in China” and it’s her constantly confronting people either saying poo poo to her or trying to take her picture in Shanghai, so I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that this might also be happening outside of Guangzhou

What's she hoping to accomplish? Or is it just for a laugh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

I am not a naval architect but I shall comment.
Shame on all of you, constantly dumping on the Glorious PRC, along with it's Most Extremely Superlative Navy, the Peoples Liberation Army Navy.

I have it on good authority that what was witnessed was in fact a feature, not a bug that promotes salivation in certain unknown countries. With only a bit of research one would soon find that the clever Chinese naval engineers have copied the proven, primary powerplant from the Russia Carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov" which is planned* to be used throughout their fleet of carriers.

What was recorded was only the PLAN engineers firing up the engines for the first time. NBD.

* No pun intended. This is serious.

Edit to remove a typo that might have been considered a racism to certain delicate flowers.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

What's she hoping to accomplish? Or is it just for a laugh?

I think she does it as a way to "fight back", kind of like "If you're going to take my picture and put it on the internet, I'm going to take your picture and put it on the internet also". I don't know though, that's just a guess

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

I, however, am an architect of sick burns and can officially comment:
:lmao:

Grand Fromage posted:

A couple I had handy.

Isn't this basically the pre-steps to the Tiananmen protests/massacre?

Step 1) China does a racism
Step 2) Government does a civil rights thing
Step 3) Protests over government
Step 4) Apply tanks and troops to students

Magna Kaser posted:

Those are both from Guangzhou and Guangzhou has always had a huge issue with racism against Africans. The city has a huge African population (Nigeria and Ghana mostly iirc but I could be wrong) that primarily live in one area of town dubbed “chocolate town” by locals. You can Probably find some good pieces on that cuz it’s been a thing for years and years..

Guangdong was also the 2nd hardest hit province outside of Hubei so combine these two for people more loudly exclaiming their poo poo.

The weird foreigner garbage strips on the other hand seem to be one super angry dude and not really any more widespread than any hyper racist poo poo my aunt shares on Facebook. When those popped up mid last week in news stories claiming everyone in China saw and most agreed with them, I showed some colleagues and friends and only one had even seen them and a couple commented the dude who made them must have wanted to date a girl who was dating a foreigner or something.

Could be Shanghai bubble tho.

So like an incel with Chinese Characteristics?

:lol:

The Great Autismo! posted:

I think she does it as a way to "fight back", kind of like "If you're going to take my picture and put it on the internet, I'm going to take your picture and put it on the internet also". I don't know though, that's just a guess

Also possible it's a means to temper other POC should they actually fall for the "China can't be racist" nonsense

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'm not gonna quote the posts mentioning the pols closed thing.

Where it started off as that pools-closed daft meme, it's now morphed into /pol/s closed.

Referencing the edgy 'meme wars' of 2015/2016, and the annoying deluge of Pepe memes.

I've got nothing against the HK'ers standing up to be counted (more power to them). But, I think the initiative has gotten away from them and that's why they are struggling for column inches. 6 months of global front-pages and very embarrassing news is a very cool achievement (unlocked).

I'm not a meme warrior, I couldn't possibly comment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Grand Fromage posted:

A couple I had handy.

im surprised they didnt just do the "oh no foreigners" and let the white people in selectively. The notice even says black in both, after the mandarin for generic foreigner

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Alan Smithee posted:

im surprised they didnt just do the "oh no foreigners" and let the white people in selectively. The notice even says black in both, after the mandarin for generic foreigner

That would require there to be a culture of negativity towards racism, whereas China is still firmly stuck in a racial superiority mindset and has zero fucks to give internally.

Racism as a concept only has value there when leveraged as a weapon against nations who do care about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My anecdotal experience is a lot of people get the concept of racism and will correctly identify something like "Chinese people are dirty" as racist, but when you then apply that to like, black people or Indians they just go to "but black people actually are inferior and criminals so that isn't racist".

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

My anecdotal experience is a lot of people get the concept of racism and will correctly identify something like "Chinese people are dirty" as racist, but when you then apply that to like, black people or Indians they just go to "but black people actually are inferior and criminals so that isn't racist".

Yes, this.
Lots of "it's just good sense!" racism.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean, obviously I get the concept of grievance when I'm aggrieved, but... :thunk:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

racism is p bad in all of asia but in china it's especially unfiltered. every couple of years everyone gets mad about some rock between them and korea/japan/etc and then there's a huge anti-[insert hot country to hate here] surge that's just playing on racism that already exists.

I remember years ago shops were all putting up signs saying no [racial pejorative for japanese people] allowed in, and people were actively breaking into a looting from japanese owned shops and it got so bad 7-11 closed all their shops for a couple of days.

The other fun part of that was people breaking into and stealing from like Rolex or Burberry stores in malls and posting online about it and how they're good chinese citizens sticking it to the japanese while others call them out for being huge morons either not knowing which brands are japanese or just taking advantage of the situation.

the incel thing is also p common but, in a weird twist, a lot of them are incels cuz there literally are millions less women in the like 40-20 age range due to the one child policy and people aborting girls or just killing or abandoning them once they were born. tbh i haven't seen as much of it lately but 4-5 years ago a big "foreigners are coming in and stealing what few women we have left" was getting big on the internet. that + just the gender imbalance also lead to a huge surge in PUA/seduction classes in Chinese in the mid 2010's. iirc a chinese version of "the game" was a bestseller for a while.

That stuff got so widespread among young chinese men that "no PUA" was a really common thing you'd see in women's dating profiles.

supposedly, and tbh i don't see any reason not to believe it, after about 1995 or so the gender gap sorta fixed itself and people stopped with that in most places even before the one-child policy ended.

of course these days you can have multiple kids but no one's having any anyway which is why the gov is going crazy on trying to get people to pop out more kids. the limit is 2 kids now in cities, i think rural places don't have the limit, but so few people are having any i would assume they change or just remove it entirely in the next couple years.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Even if their heads were in the wrong place about it, looting Rolex and Burberry is pretty cool imo

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Devils Affricate posted:

Even if their heads were in the wrong place about it, looting Rolex and Burberry is pretty cool imo

Yeah, gently caress those companies, they can take a hit

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
grab a couple birkins while you’re at it

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Would be funny if all the display stuff were fakes

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Atopian posted:

1: The WHO is clearly owned by China now. I mean they openly bought them and everything. They should be viewed as being as credible as any other organisation that needs to avoid pissing off China.

Whatever do you mean?

quote:

Australia takes aim at the World Health Organisation after it supported the reopening of China's wet markets -despite them being the likely origin of coronavirus

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Devils Affricate posted:

Rolex is owned by a charitable trust and is historically the most technically innovative watch manufacturer.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

The other fun part of that was people breaking into and stealing from like Rolex or Burberry stores in malls and posting online about it and how they're good chinese citizens sticking it to the japanese while others call them out for being huge morons either not knowing which brands are japanese or just taking advantage of the situation.

Actually stealing Burberry is pretty on-brand isn't

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Lazyhound posted:

Rolex is owned by a charitable trust and is historically the most technically innovative watch manufacturer.

good, the philanthropy sweetens the meat.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My bad, what the world needs right now is certainly more watch innovation

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I’m just saying they’re the watch of choice for both rich assholes who don’t care about watches and rich assholes who really care about watches.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Lazyhound posted:

So's Ikea

it's a tax dodge

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Where is that racism against Blacks in China coming from? The western world with its history of colonialism and slavery has some people that really have not evolved from that mindset, but why are Chinese more racist against Blacks? What I am saying is, why aren't they equal opportunity racists?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tarquinn posted:

Where is that racism against Blacks in China coming from? The western world with its history of colonialism and slavery has some people that really have not evolved from that mindset, but why are Chinese more racist against Blacks? What I am saying is, why aren't they equal opportunity racists?

imagine you've never seen a black person in your life

now you see a dozen and everything you know about them is not based in interpersonal relationships but what you know from media

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Tarquinn posted:

it's part "darker neighbours bad" (india/philippines/vietnam) so more dark = more bad, and part grudging bootlicking respect for successful colonial empires, if they had been kicked around by the zulu empire rather than the british then they'd be more racist against whites

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tarquinn posted:

lol

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

A lot of it is just straight up 'everything I hear about black people is bad so therefore racism', it's similar to the way Jews get the inverse of that here. Racial essentialism is very popular, it can be manipulated into a kind of nationalism when you got the whole 'look at the 5000 years of Han history' thing. You get to apply the accomplishments of your ancestors to yourself when you believe it's some essential quality to your race that makes it that way.

Another part is misdirection and scapegoating, in the 80s or 90s China banned blood donation imports (and there was actually a decent reason at the time). The narrative was already set up that HIV is a foreign disease, but the replacement of domestic blood ended up being much worse and by the 90s contaminated blood infected a ridiculous number of people in Henan and some other provinces with HIV.

So what do you do when you control the narrative as tightly as the party? You misdirect it to 'Africans have HIV' because, first it's true that Africa is the hardest hit by the HIV epidemic and second because what are they gonna do? The whole continent was wrecked by colonialism, their governments have next to no voice in the world so oh no the Nigerian government is mad at you who cares.

That last point is, I think, a lot of what we're seeing now. It's also why there is a very racist party narrative towards India, but it has a different flavor. You can piss on people from the developing world all you want and absolutely nothing will happen. It's one of the bigger hypocrisies of the party.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tarquinn posted:

guangzhou itself has a massive African population and a history of this kind of discrimination which is why we're hearing about this there and not anywhere else, but elsewhere in China (or anywhere in east Asia if we're being real) isn't much better.

https://twitter.com/BlackLivityCN/status/1248675545078009856

I like how this woman's logic makes the dudes completely pause, dumbstruck.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a lot of "Han" being the white of Asia. I remember one of our esteemed infamous posters calling southern darker skinned inhabitants "Jungle Asian". It's blatant old racism targeting a relatively new group as it not like Indians wasn't a thing. Hong Kong isn't immune to it with openly exploitive system like live in maids, avoiding the Sheik neighbourhoods etc. The protests have knocked down a lot of walls beyond the 5 demands.

China has been taking it to the next level for years and it's coming to a boil. People everywhere are going to have to pick sides. CCPvirus has laid bare how bad China has been in a way that people can't ignore, it's personal.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Just wait till Africans realise that eating Chinese is the cure to corona virus

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Kharnifex posted:

Just wait till Africans realise that eating Chinese is the cure to corona virus
Muti versus TCM: No matter who wins, we all lose.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If the Chinese racism against Africans is anything like India's it could be as simple as dark skin = bad, light skin = good.

I never saw it in my time in China, (I wasn't looking for it to be fair), but in India skin lightening cream is a big seller.

Just as I don't know how it works in the Chinese marriage markets, but in Indian ones, having dark skin is often a deal-breaker.

Personal anecdote: when both me and my brother were born, the first thing the Indian side of our family asked both times was not "is he healthy?" but "is he fair?". Luckily enough our skin tone takes after mum, so we are acceptable in their eyes.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks, guys!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

oohhboy posted:

China has been taking it to the next level for years and it's coming to a boil. People everywhere are going to have to pick sides. CCPvirus has laid bare how bad China has been in a way that people can't ignore, it's personal.

You're not wrong and I don't see a lot of other possible outcomes, but what's the effect of this going to be? It's only going to strengthen the nationalism that already exists in China.

I saw an article the other day, I can't link it or anything because, surprise surprise, this is what you get if you go to read it now

But it was about the reaction to Fangfang's diary, the incredible vitriol disguised as patriotism you get. I talked about this article with some more sensible Chinese people and, of course, a lot of people are I guess 'pro-Fangfang'. A lot of people think Fangfang is probably right, and the people shouting her down are nuts. But also they know if they express that they will be ganged up on by all the nuts people too (not too different from any other place, like uhh... Here) and very likely be asked to sit down and enjoy a cup of tea. So they keep quiet.

And then of course these articles pointing that out get removed, but the 'reply from a "high school student"' (worth the read, it's such bullshit, it's so hosed up) is never coming down

So, you get a 'consensus' and it's loving insane. The more other countries call out China, the more articles there will be about how poor China is bullied, the more articles pointing out why they're being criticizes get censored, the louder the insane people get, and then the world melts down. So, it kinda sucks, even if it's deserved. It doesn't hurt the party at all, this is their thing this is what they exist to do.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

If the Chinese racism against Africans is anything like India's it could be as simple as dark skin = bad, light skin = good.

I never saw it in my time in China, (I wasn't looking for it to be fair), but in India skin lightening cream is a big seller.

Just as I don't know how it works in the Chinese marriage markets, but in Indian ones, having dark skin is often a deal-breaker.

Personal anecdote: when both me and my brother were born, the first thing the Indian side of our family asked both times was not "is he healthy?" but "is he fair?". Luckily enough our skin tone takes after mum, so we are acceptable in their eyes.

skin lightnening/bleaching treatments are not uncommon even in africa.

many chinese women are vampires afraid of the sun because they don't want to tan.

i've always heard chinese people say chengdu women are the most beautiful in china and i suspect it may be because chengdu gets like 3 days of clear skies a year (this was the case even before pollution) so no one could get a tan even if they wanted to.

source: i lived there for 5 years and somehow became even whiter than I'd already been

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Well there is the old thing about peasants who work outside get tanned and the sophisticated wealthy ones don't but from my time with Chinese around my younger age they don't seem to care too much anymore except for very obviously beauty obsessed ones. Also Asian skin tans really well from only a short time in the sun and the tan last for ages, I went out one time with a friend and I got lightly redded and she is still has the tan lines months later.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That last sentence feels like a bit of a brag on your part.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mistle posted:

So like an incel with Chinese Characteristics?

”Chincel”

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Pale skin used to be a mark of beauty in Europe, when most people had to work in the fields.

Then in recent times in Northern Europe, a fan became a sign of beauty, when most people couldn't afford a holiday to somewhere sunny.

Wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Today I saw on TV here in Korea a white women with layers and layers of skin whitening on.

I know another foreigner, she's been here only two years, and I saw her profile picture for the first time yesterday and she's also got just the thickest whitening stuff all over her face. It's so - I don't even know. It just seems weird. I wonder how much of it is trying to fit in, and how much of it is actually appreciating the look.

When I was in Japan, a friend of mine did the geisha dress up thing with what amounted to basically solid white paint on her face, and it's so tremendously unsettling-looking.

The funniest thing though is when you see body builders with their dark muscle oil on, and then this solid line where their face begins which is starkly whitened.

I think they should bring back teeth blackening.

White skin, brown hair, and black teeth - the whole rainbow! 🌈