Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Part of me wonders if they were just like tired part way through making the remaking, or decided when they had to scrap the original build of the game that doing a pure remake is just not feasible so they came up with the ghost idea so they could make the game more on-rails and exclude certain things from future installments just to get to a complete game quicker.

What I'm saying is maybe they just really don't want to remake the snowboarding minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Dave posted:

Part of me wonders if they were just like tired part way through making the remaking, or decided when they had to scrap the original build of the game that doing a pure remake is just not feasible so they came up with the ghost idea so they could make the game more on-rails and exclude certain things from future installments just to get to a complete game quicker.

What I'm saying is maybe they just really don't want to remake the snowboarding minigame.

Nah, There's nothing here that's "On rails" that isn't on-rails in the original FF7.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Dirge of Cerberus might be one of the worst games ever made.

Read The Dark Id’s LP of it for a good time.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Really stupid question here. This is my first FF game

I have leveled up my materia such as lightning and healing. However, when I got to cast a spell the names on the spell list are still the same (ie I should be casting Regen but the spell selection only shows Cure). What am I doing wrong

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Raged posted:

Really stupid question here. This is my first FF game

I have leveled up my materia such as lightning and healing. However, when I got to cast a spell the names on the spell list are still the same (ie I should be casting Regen but the spell selection only shows Cure). What am I doing wrong

You have to manually switch the spell to what you want to cast when you’re on it by pressing to the right.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

The Black Stones posted:

You have to manually switch the spell to what you want to cast when you’re on it by pressing to the right.

Thanks. I feel really dumb now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Raged posted:

Thanks. I feel really dumb now.

It's cool I didn't notice that it was upgrading like that and was hanging out for better materia. Then I accidentally hit right in the menu lol.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The name "Grimoire Valentine" alone should be a sign that Dirge is a burning trash fire.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

The name "Grimoire Valentine" alone should be a sign that Dirge is a burning trash fire.

My friend Blue the Blue really likes it though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

That actually makes it sound awesome.

Tis i, Grimoire Valentine. No, no, it's pronounced Grim-wah.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Questions for those that completed Hard Mode already: do the cutscenes change in any way or can i skip through (most of) these as I start working on a Hard clear? Is most of the hard only content stuff in the VR sims and maybe arena?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is most of the hard only content stuff in the VR sims and maybe arena?

In terms of new monsters / battles, yes; but it's silly to just go fight them without all the extra stats you can acquire...
Almost every major side-quest and boss in the game has extra SP to acquire on Hard (the 'manuscripts').

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't even know there were tier 2 limits until hard because I didn't do the Colosseum after the sweet scripted bit.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
FF7:REMAKE DISCS TWO TO FOUR

Wonder how many cats I will have to save in order to increase Tifa's romancing meters...?

:dance:

How many pigeon-holed, Kingdom Hearts sequences with flashing lights and fluorescent "shadow" enemies will I have to defeat to access the timeline where Aerith survives Sephie's sharp, badass animé schlong.

:ohdear:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MoaM posted:

How many pigeon-holed, Kingdom Hearts sequences with flashing lights and fluorescent "shadow" enemies will I have to defeat to access the timeline where Aerith survives Sephie's sharp, badass animé schlong.

did you misunderstand the ending or what

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I really hope that wherever they're going with this they preserve the Palmer fight. Give the other board members a hands on brawl somewhere too, I wanna nail bat Heidegger's face. The slap fight could probably be made into a proper battle, and there's something a little off about that Reece fellow...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I just think that us having the questions of like "Oh, why is Zach alive?" "Is Aerith going to die this time?" are the last things I wanted to come out of this.

I liked that Sephiroth was kept as mostly a mystery throughout your time in Midgar. I find it obnoxious how much face time he gets in this game.

I agree that the way Sephiroth was handled in the original was fantastic, but I think there's sort of a meta aspect to the remake where like... Sephiroth isn't a mystery anymore, at least not to anyone who'd realistically be playing the remake. Even if you didn't play the original FFVII, you know who Sephiroth is and probably a few things about what his deal is. Even my girlfriend, who has never played a Final Fantasy game and doesn't know anything about FFVII's plot, knows who Sephiroth is just by virtue of having been friends with nerds and using the internet.

I think they lay the Sephiroth stuff on way too thick at the very beginning of the remake (specifically Chapter 2), but I like how he's handled after that. People know who Sephiroth is and basically what he's about. Might as well lean into that, play with it, and make him this creepy specter haunting Cloud the whole way.

As for the promise of larger plot changes, I admit I still feel a little disappointment that we're not going to get to see the original story play out with ridiculous production values, but I think this part of the remake was tailor-made to show us that the team absolutely gets FFVII and its characters and world. Everything is extremely faithful to who these characters are, the new stuff included, and to the original setting. It also shows us that this team knows what we want, they know that there are some key, important scenes that we all want to see play out, and on a purely meta level I am absolutely sure we'll see those scenes, even if we take some unexpected turns to get there, and even if they end differently.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Caidin posted:

I really hope that wherever they're going with this they preserve the Palmer fight. Give the other board members a hands on brawl somewhere too, I wanna nail bat Heidegger's face. The slap fight could probably be made into a proper battle, and there's something a little off about that Reece fellow...

Slap fight using the same mechanics as the dance number in this one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So far the MVPs in this game have been Barrett and Aerith. Barrett in how they actually gave him more character and basically made him a charismatic wrestling cult leader, and Aerith in how they massively expanded upon her original character and made her hilarious and likeable as all hell. Like the voice actress was 100% imitating Milhouse when she does the "I think my outfit's cool" line and how she's just having the absolute time of her life all throughout Wall Market

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Based on the extreme faithfulness on even the smallest details in this game, I am 100% convinced that future installments are all but guaranteed to have all the great moments:

CPR minigame
Parade commentators sending Cloud a bomb because he can't march
Red XIII in a sailor outfit
Palmer getting hit by a truck
Tifa / Scarlet slap fight
Yuffie throwing up on the Highwind in 4k

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Defeating a giant face with (1) Phoenix Down
Impaled Zolom
Maybe actually killing Cait off in the temple, it's 5 seconds of catharsis
Archaeology Minigames

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Harrow posted:

As for the promise of larger plot changes, I admit I still feel a little disappointment that we're not going to get to see the original story play out with ridiculous production values, but I think this part of the remake was tailor-made to show us that the team absolutely gets FFVII and its characters and world. Everything is extremely faithful to who these characters are, the new stuff included, and to the original setting. It also shows us that this team knows what we want, they know that there are some key, important scenes that we all want to see play out, and on a purely meta level I am absolutely sure we'll see those scenes, even if we take some unexpected turns to get there, and even if they end differently.

My concern is mainly what happens from the end of this game on. Personally, I don't like a lot of the stuff I've been seeing when it comes to this "meta" they are crafting. I've been loving a lot of the expanded things they've been doing which show us more of the world and characters and all that stuff, but this poo poo with fate ghosts and visions of the future and a possibly dimension hopping Sephiroth that knows everything that's going to happen... I don't like what that could lead to.

Like, I agree with the second half of your quote, but with the way this game ends all I'm left thinking of is "How long will that last?" It took some twists and turns, but still stayed faithful to the core. But is that going to continue? The end of this entry doesn't imply that it will, what with all this talk of killing "story-canon" and destiny and that stuff.

Some people like that idea and I'm not going to get angry or upset at that. A lot of people in this thread seem to like the idea of them going batshit insane with this and just shaking everything up. I'm just not excited for what might come down the line.

I feel like this is a case of "No, no, we're going to remake the game and it'll be great! We'll add some stuff, but it'll still be the remake you dreamed of. ...By the way, we're going to leave an audio version of our fanfic playing over there on the table. Don't worry, you'll barely notice it." And then by the end of this game you realize they've been gradually turning up the volume the entire time and hoping you wouldn't notice. Then you come back for the next part and the fanfic is just all there is. Basically, that this entry's entire purpose is to get everyone comfortable with the fact that the rest of this series won't be VII, it'll just be wearing VII's skin.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know how you can get through this game and come out thinking that the obvious love that went into everything was all a ruse and the designers actually don't care about FF7 at all.

E: Like, I get the ending turning people off the project and leaving a big negative impression. But saying that most of the game is there as a trick to mislead people into thinking the remake is something its not feels like it's just ignoring the obvious passion that went into everything about the game.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 14, 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I would be genuinely hilarious if, after all the expansion and additions to the story so far, that Vincent still has nothing to do.

Let's hope so because Vincent loving sucks

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know how you can get through this game and come out thinking that the obvious love that went into everything was all a ruse and the designers actually don't care about FF7 at all.

E: Like, I get the ending turning people off the project and leaving a big negative impression. But saying that most of the game is there as a trick to mislead people into thinking the remake is something its not feels like it's just ignoring the obvious passion that went into everything about the game.

isnt a fanfic basically caring too much?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Harrow posted:

It'll all be worth it if this jettisons Advent Children from the canon
I loved the game for the most part, but the very end felt very Advent Children to me, and I came away with two beefs.

1. I just OD'd on Sephiroth, I guess. I'm just tired of seeing him by the time the ended.

2. Aerith mention that they would change too, but I hope they don't drain away their characterization to just dropping exposition between action sequences like it felt like they did here.

The 39 hours of fun more than makes up for the last half hour, but the excitement had gone and I just wanted it to end.

That aside, I'm on board for wherever they take us, but I hope for future games they maintain the great chemistry between the characters, because that was critical to what I loved about this one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it fanfic if the creators are the creators of the original?

Psycho Knight posted:

I feel like this is a case of "No, no, we're going to remake the game and it'll be great! We'll add some stuff, but it'll still be the remake you dreamed of. ...By the way, we're going to leave an audio version of our fanfic playing over there on the table. Don't worry, you'll barely notice it." And then by the end of this game you realize they've been gradually turning up the volume the entire time and hoping you wouldn't notice. Then you come back for the next part and the fanfic is just all there is. Basically, that this entry's entire purpose is to get everyone comfortable with the fact that the rest of this series won't be VII, it'll just be wearing VII's skin.

Well, what I'm trying to say is--doesn't the rest of this remake show us that they get it on a level beyond just fanfic? To me, the first 30 hours or so showed me that they really get the characters, the world, and why people loved Final Fantasy VII. They're going to take some things in different directions in the future parts--they couldn't have told us that more clearly--but before they did, they made sure we know that they're not just some jerks writing fanfic who don't actually understand the characters and the world. Whatever they do from here, they wanted to reassure us ahead of time that it'll feel right, that it'll be true to the Final Fantasy VII we know and love even if the specifics end up differing.

Whether or not that case was successfully made to you is down to your own experience, of course, but for me, I'm on board specifically because this part of the remake has earned my trust that it won't just be some Advent Children-level garbage going forward.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 14, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OctoberCountry posted:

Let's hope so because Vincent loving sucks

I thought Vincent was cool when I was a kid so let's hope they give him the same attention as the other characters and unleash the emo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Is that really worse than Cloud Strife?

People just get used to some dumb names while others they remain hostile to. It reflects more on how they view the games the characters are from rather than the names themselves, in my experience.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think "Cloud Strife" just kinda flows off the tongue better than some of the dumb names in the extended universe stuff. It has a nice rhythm to it, much better than "Genesis Rhapsodos," "Angeal Hewley," etc.

It's a real dumb name, don't get me wrong, but it's at least snappy.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I thought Vincent was cool at first but young me was later conflicted because he didn't actually seem to be stuck in that coffin and the jars Hojo spent 4 years pickling Could and Zack in were like in the next room. Like break out of your gothic pity party for a hot second, dude.

Other then that, would like to do the monster mash with him in the new engine.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 14, 2020

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Vincent was fine until you learned his backstory.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Am I crazy for thinking the whispers are just a representation of fans who desperately want to maintain the original storyline and are thwarting attempts to change things?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A more ambitious/impossible approach to the whispers would be to remake the game just like the original and as you play through it you're given the option to start changing poo poo but the more you change the harder the game becomes and the more whisper enemies and bosses show up trying to correct poo poo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Verisimilidude posted:

Am I crazy for thinking the whispers are just a representation of fans who desperately want to maintain the original storyline and are thwarting attempts to change things?

Not at all. One of the reasons I really like what they did with them is that the metaphor is right there but they never go right out and break the fourth wall, the reveal would be way weaker if they just made the subtext text and had them address the players and have the characters acknowledge that they're in a game like every Undertale-come-lately to come out over the past half decade.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dirge is a disaster, but Grimoire Valentine owns as a name and you won't convince me otherwise.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Dirge is a disaster, but Grimoire Valentine owns as a name and you won't convince me otherwise.

DoC also can invoke the standard JRPG defense of "at least the music was good."

As for fans not wanting things to change, it depends on what changes you mean. We've now defeated teh ghosts of FFVII Past and been saturated with scenes of Aerith dying. Does this mean she won't die? I don't think people getting mad at her living is a sign of pettiness since that is one of the things that made FFVII special.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CottonWolf posted:

What was with the mid-2000s and having the most flowery pseudo-gothic faux-Victorian aesthetic.

(I know why, but enough time has passed to look at that era objectively and it’s just...cringe.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Unless I'm misunderstanding things, we already beat the ghosts. There shouldn't be any ghosts in the next game because we're free of them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Maybe just keep that one who saved Barret, it seemed nice.