Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

enraged_camel posted:

my uncle (distant uncle!) just told me that if the Fed intervenes again this week, he's gonna get out of stocks completely and buy gold/silver

Ask your distant uncle weird questions like "How do you define the value of an oz of gold in a society where money has lost value?" or "if central banks agree that money is a construct which can be printed infinitely, which they are doing, how does this impact the value of gold since it is bought and paid for in that currency."

Bring popcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rime posted:

Ask your distant uncle weird questions like "How do you define the value of an oz of gold in a society where money has lost value?" or "if central banks agree that money is a construct which can be printed infinitely, which they are doing, how does this impact the value of gold since it is bought and paid for in that currency."

Bring popcorn.

id rather not

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Is robinhood still giving away CHK shares for signing up?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Rime posted:

Bring popcorn.

Im curious if you really think these questions are some big mystery?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Been easing into more day trading, went pretty well today with a fair few good wins, nailing down a system that I feel works and exposes me to acceptable risk, and overall around 15% up in closed P&L, however the small nature of the trades means I basically barely broke even because of trading fees. I guess it's time to start slowly increasing capital to creep more profit in now that I have a strategy I'm comfortable with.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

VelociBacon posted:

Been easing into more day trading, went pretty well today with a fair few good wins, nailing down a system that I feel works and exposes me to acceptable risk, and overall around 15% up in closed P&L, however the small nature of the trades means I basically barely broke even because of trading fees. I guess it's time to start slowly increasing capital to creep more profit in now that I have a strategy I'm comfortable with.

Care to share your general strategies and most traded symbols? Straight long equity scalping or futures, options?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

greasyhands posted:

Yeah these are like, goldbug 101 lectures for why to hoard gold, not some kinda gotcha. It's like saying "but what about fiat currency" to a bitcoin fanatic.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

greasyhands posted:

No, not really, I just like loving with idiots.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

What trading fees? Isn’t everything free now?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Care to share your general strategies and most traded symbols? Straight long equity scalping or futures, options?

Sure, obviously this could just be luck and I don't recommend anything that I'm doing and etc etc. The thing I've learned the most in the last month or so is to be quick to dump bad trades and move on - especially when trading options where it can spiral quickly. The most basic thing I do is I keep a watchlist of inverse pairs of (often leveraged) ETFs, like SQQQ/TQQQ, FAZ/FAS, UGAZ/DGAZ, etc. There are some example lists online. I generally keep charts up in 1m candlesticks for a few of these and mark out some previous points of support and resistance and try to look for price action opportunities where a bullish candlestick crosses over a 9-period SMA line, followed by a second candlestick that closes above this line. I take a look at the RSI to make sure it's not sitting super overbought (generally I feel okay about RSI of ~40 or less) and I check the general orientation of the VWAP/180-period SMA and if these look like they're supporting a move in the same direction, and it's not right up against a previous resistance, I generally enter the trade. I'm basically looking for 3/4 of these things to be supporting the trade. Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense. I know there are some people here as well that don't believe in any form of technical analysis so I'm not really sure what to say about that.

So if I'm watching SPY for example and see that it starts to take a poo poo I'll pull up the SQQQ and see if it looks like it's meeting these criteria and if it's meeting most of them I buy in with shares. If I see SPY start to really look good on the charts with the criteria above, like every factor looks positive, I'll buy call options instead of making a play on TQQQ. I don't feel as comfortable playing this the opposite way (with SPY puts) based on price action, even using SQQQ to visualize SPY losses as an upswing. I'm not sure why but I seem to do more poorly with put strategies so instead I use SQQQ shares with the above strategy so I'm not as leveraged and can just sell out quickly.

Essentially most of my trades are based on SPY movements but I do check TSLA, AMZN, etc throughout the day. I don't use a lot of fundamental analysis because I feel like it's basically impossible to apply logic to the market movements the last little while. At this point when I see something in the news I'm following the tickers just to see what happens more than to make any informed play about it.

I sell out (probably too early) of positions when candlesticks cross or significantly approach the 9-period SMA. The options I buy are minimum 30 DTE although I want to read more about how to maximize on this as it seems like I'm getting less delta and paying more premium for options I'm not planning on holding longer than 30 min.

If anyone has any feedback on this strategy I'd like to hear it. I'm interested in learning and improving more than preserving ego. I'd say my largest areas for improvement are applying more FA, nailing down more information about picking specific options to trade in short-term, and just general market principle knowledge.

e:

paternity suitor posted:

What trading fees? Isn’t everything free now?

I'm Canadian, trading with Questrade, the data/trading package I use to provide me with Level 2 and OPRA info gives me a discount on options and non-ETF purchases (ETF purchases still free) but it's still around $5-6/trade. I've been trading with low capital to try to work on a strategy since I'm learning, selling positions for $20-40 USD profits a lot of the time.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 14, 2020

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

VelociBacon posted:

Sure, obviously this could just be luck and I don't recommend anything that I'm doing and etc etc. The thing I've learned the most in the last month or so is to be quick to dump bad trades and move on - especially when trading options where it can spiral quickly. The most basic thing I do is I keep a watchlist of inverse pairs of (often leveraged) ETFs, like SQQQ/TQQQ, FAZ/FAS, UGAZ/DGAZ, etc. There are some example lists online. I generally keep charts up in 1m candlesticks for a few of these and mark out some previous points of support and resistance and try to look for price action opportunities where a bullish candlestick crosses over a 9-period SMA line, followed by a second candlestick that closes above this line. I take a look at the RSI to make sure it's not sitting super overbought (generally I feel okay about RSI of ~40 or less) and I check the general orientation of the VWAP/180-period SMA and if these look like they're supporting a move in the same direction, and it's not right up against a previous resistance, I generally enter the trade. I'm basically looking for 3/4 of these things to be supporting the trade. Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense. I know there are some people here as well that don't believe in any form of technical analysis so I'm not really sure what to say about that.

So if I'm watching SPY for example and see that it starts to take a poo poo I'll pull up the SQQQ and see if it looks like it's meeting these criteria and if it's meeting most of them I buy in with shares. If I see SPY start to really look good on the charts with the criteria above, like every factor looks positive, I'll buy call options instead of making a play on TQQQ. I don't feel as comfortable playing this the opposite way (with SPY puts) based on price action, even using SQQQ to visualize SPY losses as an upswing. I'm not sure why but I seem to do more poorly with put strategies so instead I use SQQQ shares with the above strategy so I'm not as leveraged and can just sell out quickly.

Essentially most of my trades are based on SPY movements but I do check TSLA, AMZN, etc throughout the day. I don't use a lot of fundamental analysis because I feel like it's basically impossible to apply logic to the market movements the last little while. At this point when I see something in the news I'm following the tickers just to see what happens more than to make any informed play about it.

I sell out (probably too early) of positions when candlesticks cross or significantly approach the 9-period SMA. The options I buy are minimum 30 DTE although I want to read more about how to maximize on this as it seems like I'm getting less delta and paying more premium for options I'm not planning on holding longer than 30 min.

If anyone has any feedback on this strategy I'd like to hear it. I'm interested in learning and improving more than preserving ego. I'd say my largest areas for improvement are applying more FA, nailing down more information about picking specific options to trade in short-term, and just general market principle knowledge.

e:

I'm Canadian, trading with Questrade, the data/trading package I use to provide me with Level 2 and OPRA info gives me a discount on options and non-ETF purchases (ETF purchases still free) but it's still around $5-6/trade. I've been trading with low capital to try to work on a strategy since I'm learning, selling positions for $20-40 USD profits a lot of the time.

$5/trade cost and pulling $20 for your wins either you have the best hit rate in the world or you're going broke

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

leper khan posted:

$5/trade cost and pulling $20 for your wins either you have the best hit rate in the world or you're going broke

I have a green P&L about 75% of the time at the end of the day (overall since I've started I'm around 20% growth in the account) but yes the fees are loving me up. I'm treating this all as learning because as mentioned I'm basically coming out around even, maybe 50 bucks up on the day. I've been creeping more capital in as mentioned above to start to increase earnings (and risk) as I learn more and feel more comfortable. I'm not trying to make this my day job.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thanks man. Just curious why do you track SPY when deciding whether to go in on SQQQ, instead of looking at QQQ directly? SPY is SP500 and QQQ/SQQQ is Nasdaq.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Thanks man. Just curious why do you track SPY when deciding whether to go in on SQQQ, instead of looking at QQQ directly? SPY is SP500 and QQQ/SQQQ is Nasdaq.

Yeah I wanted the higher volume compared to SPXU and SPXL (46M avg volume with TQQQ vs 19M avg volume with SPXL). I've found that while SQQQ/TQQQ aren't tracking 1:1 with SPY, they're all moving the same direction and ultimately seeing a change in price direction on SPY prompts me to check other related charts to see what seems to be moving the way I want as described in my effortpost.

I feel like the SPXU/SPXL volume is probably adequate to trade with and not be stuck in a position but with +30M other idiots like me trading on the QQQ's maybe you get more momentum on price action as more people are buying in on swings? I haven't read about this and it's likely not sound logic.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 14, 2020

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

VelociBacon posted:

Dude, move your account to IB.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

How the heck do you know in thinkorswim if ES options are American or European style? Can't find that info anywhere, even in the option code.

e: nevermind I guess quarterlies are American.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 14, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Inner Light posted:

How the heck do you know in thinkorswim if ES options are American or European style? Can't find that info anywhere, even in the option code.

e: nevermind I guess quarterlies are American.

/ES are futures

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

pmchem posted:

/ES are futures

Yeah I know, just forgot the slash in my post. I thought lots of people in the thread trade /ES options so I was checking it out. Can't get it to work in ToS 'on demand' though, the price always says Not Traded. :shrug:

Submitted the Futures application to TDAM today, excited to lose more.

Not sure what I'm doing but no matter what option date or category I select it always says Not Traded. In live mode it lets me tee it up fine. Or On Demand with SPY options works fine too. Oh well.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 14, 2020

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Agronox posted:

Kinda feel like you have to fade the oil move here? Or I might just be salty.

Either way, short 1,000 barrels at 24.46

Covered right now at $22.61. This turned into a decent enough trade, $1,840 profit. Tempted to roll into the June contract.

java
May 7, 2005

Lote posted:

So if you think that MBS are going to blow up ala 2008 and want to invest in the closest thing to credit default swaps as possible, what would you invest in? Shitputs in $NLY or $NRZ?

I'm really tempted to try some shitputs on NLY.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

java posted:

I'm really tempted to try some shitputs on NLY.

Man, I've got my REIT money in nly, arr, agnc...

All completely poo poo the bed.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Baddog posted:

Man, I've got my REIT money in nly, arr, agnc...

All completely poo poo the bed.

AGNCP has been kind to me.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
$TSLA up 8% premarket on news that they *checks notes* aren’t paying rent because they don’t have cash.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Bluechips JNJ, GE, and T are all being kind to me today. The big question I have is, when are they going to crash again? I figure they will reach their ATH, or near that, before plunging again in the next few months. Does it make sense to pick a target to sell at, and then try to re-buy after another plunge?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I would be careful with GE. Their one division that was making money (Aviation) is right now in trouble along with the rest of the aerospace industry, and they're still saddled with lots of debt and toxic assets.

But hey, not like the underlying health of these company means anything anymore :shrug:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Bluechips JNJ, GE, and T are all being kind to me today. The big question I have is, when are they going to crash again? I figure they will reach their ATH, or near that, before plunging again in the next few months. Does it make sense to pick a target to sell at, and then try to re-buy after another plunge?

Timing the market is always a good idea

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
My desire to short TSLA is peaking, therefore this stock is going to $1000

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

DoubleT2172 posted:

Perfect!
:shepspends:

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Lote posted:

$TSLA up 8% premarket on news that they *checks notes* aren’t paying rent because they don’t have cash.

lmao

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/14/imf-global-economy-to-contract-by-3percent-due-to-coronavirus.html

quote:

IMF slashes growth forecasts, says world will ‘very likely’ experience worst recession since the 1930s

Markets... up!

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

lol gently caress yesterday was LOW... SPY going to 290 smh

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Prove my short positions wrong, market/government/Fed, but don’t lie to me!

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Agronox posted:

Covered right now at $22.61. This turned into a decent enough trade, $1,840 profit. Tempted to roll into the June contract.

USO doesn't seem to have retraced as much as oil... due to not being in deep contango..? want it lower :thunk:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Lote posted:

My desire to short TSLA is peaking, therefore this stock is going to $1000

TSLA is so loving messed up; I've posted here multiple times about not touching the poop, and then touched the poop because it was too loving high (when it hit 900). And past Dwight was right, DON'T TOUCH THE POOP.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

TSLA is so loving messed up; I've posted here multiple times about not touching the poop, and then touched the poop because it was too loving high (when it hit 900). And past Dwight was right, DON'T TOUCH THE POOP.

You can play the price action without conviction of an overall trend though! But yeah it you don't think TSLA is overbought you're crazy at this point hey.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DoubleT2172 posted:

this is the market timing thread

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Moved to cash yesterday morning, going short this morning

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sloppy trading at the open wiped out my overnight gains. :effort:

But hey, at least my AMZN keeps trucking.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Bought a little bit of SPY 4/27 273 calls yesterday with a limit order to execute when SPY hit 273: $8.74. Picked my price from the morning drop, thought it might hit 273 and that'd be a fine point to get in. TOS will estimate the underlying price that your option order will execute at for you which is how I picked $8.74. I sat on them overnight.

Rolled them to 281 today for $5.26 taking 60% of my cash back out. If we get further surging upward I'll see if I can get the rest of my cash back out and then let it ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

greasyhands posted:

Moved to cash yesterday morning, going short this morning

What prompted the U-turn for you?