Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I an old magazine I remember an interview with Damon Hill where he tells a story about how his car broke down and he got a ride home from some motorcyclist and when they got there he was like “you can tell your mates down the pub that you give Damon Hill a ride home” and the dude on the motorcycle takes off his helmet and tells him “and you can yours that you got a ride home from Stirling Moss”

Anyway that’s my half remembered Stirling Moss story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Otherwise the Mercedes SLR Stirling Moss was a nice looking car

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Mercedes SLR was the best car, as were all Mercedes's previous cars especially the ones from 33-39 of course. Desmo valves, mechanical direct injection. Pure German Supremacy, beyond moral reproach.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Brass Hand posted:

I an old magazine I remember an interview with Damon Hill where he tells a story about how his car broke down and he got a ride home from some motorcyclist and when they got there he was like “you can tell your mates down the pub that you give Damon Hill a ride home” and the dude on the motorcycle takes off his helmet and tells him “and you can yours that you got a ride home from Stirling Moss”

Anyway that’s my half remembered Stirling Moss story.

Did everybody in the pub clap?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Theophany posted:

The pub's name was Albert Einstein

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Theophany posted:

I don’t know OP it was an old edition of F1 Racing that I can’t find. Who knows if there even was a pub? :tinfoil:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Brass Hand posted:

I don’t know OP it was an old edition of F1 Racing that I can’t find. Who knows if there even was a pub? :tinfoil:

It was closed because of coronavirus :iiam:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Stirling Moss and Tim Brooke-Taylor in the same day. :(

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rebus posted:

Not strictly true.

Haas have their own aero department who design the parts to test.

Dallara manufacture the wind tunnel model parts and run them in their tunnel, and send the results back to Haas.

Ultimately it's still Haas aeros doing the design work.

Fine I accept you are as poo poo as Haas :)

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Minto Took posted:

04 was so bad that Speed Channel played F1 Decade which was Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett doing commentary on the 1994 season.

I liked that.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Despite not winning one Moss is probably better than most of his contemporaries, even ones with championships.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frond posted:

Despite not winning one Moss is probably better than most of his contemporaries, even ones with championships.

Moss was the OG Moral WDC and anybody who says otherwise probably thinks Spax Failcrappen is cool and good.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just got a new alpinestars motorcycle jacket, it’s insane how much better alpinestars poo poo is over Dainese. I dunno what Dainese is gonna do once Rossi retires.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Theophany posted:

Moss was the OG Moral WDC and anybody who says otherwise probably thinks Spax Failcrappen is cool and good.
Seconded, and I would hasten to add -- should any members of this ancient forum trespass so far as to harbor support for the reprehensible Maximum poo poo Crapping -- that the critical stepping stone which allowed Germany and therefore Europe to plunge bodily into fascism and the most destructive war in human history including within it genocide and the death of nations, the Reichstag fire, was started by a Dutchman.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Seconded, and I would hasten to add -- should any members of this ancient forum trespass so far as to harbor support for the reprehensible Maximum poo poo Crapping -- that the critical stepping stone which allowed Germany and therefore Europe to plunge bodily into fascism and the most destructive war in human history including within it genocide and the death of nations, the Reichstag fire, was started by a Dutchman.

This is the kind of piercing insight I continue coming back to this dead, gay website for.

The good doctor nails it once again.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the corona quid posted:

Just got a new alpinestars motorcycle jacket, it’s insane how much better alpinestars poo poo is over Dainese. I dunno what Dainese is gonna do once Rossi retires.
Disappointed to hear you say this. I've had a couple A* jackets over the last few years and wasn't impressed much with them, aside from them fitting me better than "American" jackets. I was strongly considering getting a D-air for my next race suit because they can be had custom fitted for about the same price as an off-the-rack A* airbag suit. What's wrong with Dainese?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There just seems to be a level of care and detail that Dainese is missing, there’s lots of stray threads hanging off stuff, cuts on some things are questionable from an aesthetic point of view and little details like that.

The soles on the shoes I got are a really good example. Both the Alpinestars I just got and the stylmartins I have are made for their shoes and stamped with the company’s name. Dainese’s shoes are just some generic made in China sole that I’m sure is something they bought off the shelf. Which isn’t a problem on its own but with all the other little things you can nitpick it starts to snowball.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 13, 2020

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

the corona quid posted:

There just seems to be a level of care and detail that Dainese is missing, there’s lots of stray threads hanging off stuff, cuts on some things are questionable from an aesthetic point of view and little details like that.

So, classic Italian manufacturing?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is Dainese actually made in Italy? Maybe that's the problem. I think my A* were all made in Vietnam, which has competent craftspeople.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Honestly that would explain a lot if it is the case. All my Dainese poo poo is stuffed at my parents right now though so I can’t check

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Looks like Sir Sterling Moss voted Leave in the mortal coil referendum.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dainese vs Alpinestar chat:

I've owned bits of both over the years of motorcycling and without exception, my Dainese gear has fit better and lasted longer than my Alpinestar stuff. Like twice as long. My only complaint about my Dainese gear is they use lovely zippers for some reason. The zip worked fine, but the tag on the zipper to pull it open/closed was weak and had to be replaced with a safety pin after a while.

Also Quid, I caved and bought Italian.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Edward Mass posted:

Looks like Sir Sterling Moss voted Leave in the mortal coil referendum.

Stirling.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Max Verstappen granted wildcard entry for Supercars Eseries second round.

It's on tomorrow night Australian time.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Theophany posted:

I believe both to be true.
WHAT NOW!?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Custard Undies posted:

Max Verstappen granted wildcard entry for Supercars Eseries second round.

It's on tomorrow night Australian time.

Lordy

“I’m looking forward to racing alongside my mate Shane, or Pastor, as I call him – he’s a top shunter on the sim."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/formula-one/max-verstappen-race-supercars-eseries-red-bull-star-snubs-f1-virtual-grand-prix-a4413456.html

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Verstappen seems to have Good Simracing Opinions and I don't know how to handle that

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I watched last weeks races, which was the first time for any form of eracing, and it was hilarious due to the wonky physics.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's a real shame they're using F1 2019 for all this.
Yes, I know it can't be any other way, but it's the worst possible option in a sea of otherwise great options.

Watching Max, Lando, and the growing team of drivers on iRacing has been a treat though.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Khablam posted:

Yes, I know it can't be any other way, but it's the worst possible option in a sea of otherwise great options.

Watching Max, Lando, and the growing team of drivers on iRacing has been a treat though.

love to watch sports men play video games

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

Post your excel spreadsheet comparing and contrasting the different racing games

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

I believe both to be true.
WHAT NOW!?

I think you've broken my posting subroutine

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

Dainese vs Alpinestar chat:

I've owned bits of both over the years of motorcycling and without exception, my Dainese gear has fit better and lasted longer than my Alpinestar stuff. Like twice as long. My only complaint about my Dainese gear is they use lovely zippers for some reason. The zip worked fine, but the tag on the zipper to pull it open/closed was weak and had to be replaced with a safety pin after a while.

Also Quid, I caved and bought Italian.

Jesus Christ I know a lot of people are losing their minds over this pandemic but this has gone too far...

jk I’m jealous, you going to start doing roids now to really get into the Aprilia lifestyle?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the corona quid posted:

The soles on the shoes I got are a really good example. Both the Alpinestars I just got and the stylmartins I have are made for their shoes and stamped with the company’s name. Dainese’s shoes are just some generic made in China sole that I’m sure is something they bought off the shelf. Which isn’t a problem on its own but with all the other little things you can nitpick it starts to snowball.

I'm looking to replace my Onitsuka Tigers...what do you recommend?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

I'm looking to replace my Onitsuka Tigers...what do you recommend?

I’ve always felt that Adidas Originals stuff was pretty robust. I had a pair of gazelles that straight up survived like four or five hard winters of use before finally giving up the fight. I find Pumas are just a sliver more comfortable but I had one that the sole loving exploded like I had stepped on an IED or something after a year and a half and I’m not paying for that to happen again.

Onitsuka tigers are what I’m rocking right now. I’ve had them for a year and even like a week before poo poo got locked the gently caress down I got a complement about how nice they look for white shoes. I’ve definitely babied them through winter though so the jury is out how long they last on a long term. My winter kicks right now are my stylmartin motorcycle sneakers that I ruined by spilling transmission fluid all over them.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Thanks. Perhaps I'll just get a new pair. I had Adidas's previously but the soles were too thick.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

RBR & Renault have joined forces to make respirators for the UK, which have now since been deemed unsuitable and the order is scrapped.
Mercedes, McLaren and Williams have today delivered their first on-spec ventilators.

There's a trend somewhere.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

Thanks. Perhaps I'll just get a new pair. I had Adidas's previously but the soles were too thick.

I would at least try the real old school style gazelles if you can find them. I don’t like thick soles and the gazelles aren’t as thin as the onitsukas but they aren’t obnoxious like most modern sneakers are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Khablam posted:

yeah they should all use [obscure F1 mod] on rFactor 2 which requires being even worse than a linux nerd to set up and where the cars sound like angry vuvuzelas