Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like if you can't do a leftist organizing to get people to think ten thousand dead bodies and record unemployment is grounds to whinge at the government you've got piss all hope of doing anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

CLPs are starting to put out letters to the leader in response to the leaked report, including this very firey piece from the Streatham CLP EC:
https://twitter.com/StreathamLabour/status/1250015227057496064

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/leftist_agenda/status/1250017416123428865

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty sure going down as the Plague Minister isn't his grand plan for the history books.

neither was winning the brexit referendum but he certainly made the best of it.

they'll forge ahead with an even more half-baked brexit and the subsequent economic slump will be blamed on china, it's depressingly predictable.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Also even world class bellends have picked up that the government is handling this terribly.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1249342028837724166

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1249979901257682945

How many days do we give him before he starts taking victory laps and typing in capitals let's open the UK for business?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Coronavirus: UK growth could drop by record 35% by June
The Office for Budget Responsibility said that this scenario was based on an assumption that the current lockdown would last for three months.

It said, however, it expected that once restrictions were lifted, growth would recover quickly with no lasting damage.
x

I have an exclusive preview of the OBR predictions

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

Also even world class bellends have picked up that the government is handling this terribly.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1249342028837724166

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1249979901257682945

now's not the time for criticising the government piers, now is the time for constructively keeping quiet unless you're planning on talking about maybe giving some people a medal

lol that piers loving moron is doing a better job of going in on the government's fuckups at the right time (i.e. while they can still be shamed in to doing the right thing instead of after they killed all the people) than the leader of the opposition

garbage

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If you've ever met some NOLS-y student labour types, you know the attitude. They loving hate the left, with the burning passion of a thousand suns, and any action is justified if it's getting one over on those loving trots.

Speaking of which, two I haven't seen elsewhere:

Conspiring to prevent reforms to student voting:
https://twitter.com/GuyLucasBhana/status/1249697218245910530

Conspiring to cc Tom Watson in to things they wanted leaked, lol
https://twitter.com/GuyLucasBhana/status/1249697220754051074

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1250008395878297600?s=19

I mean, just... What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

sebzilla posted:

when he's lying in bed watching netflix he's at least less able to actively do damage i guess

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

sebzilla posted:

He hosed up so badly he nearly got himself killed, like if Haig had personally led the charge on the first day of the somme.

There is no hope for this country lol. You can argue all day about whether Kier or Jezza would pull higher numbers, nobody is beating the cult of personality they've somehow built around that oaf.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
incredible how petty they were

https://twitter.com/HazelJN/status/1249958289946882048?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

josh04 posted:

If you've ever met some NOLS-y student labour types, you know the attitude. They loving hate the left, with the burning passion of a thousand suns, and any action is justified if it's getting one over on those loving trots.

Speaking of which, two I haven't seen elsewhere:

Conspiring to prevent reforms to student voting:
https://twitter.com/GuyLucasBhana/status/1249697218245910530

Conspiring to cc Tom Watson in to things they wanted leaked, lol
https://twitter.com/GuyLucasBhana/status/1249697220754051074

wow everything in that thread is real bad and those people should absolutely not be in the party, and if I was in charge of it I'd be very concerned that this was allowed to happen and be pushing for the people named in this report to be suspended

wait sorry, we need to refrain from drawing conclusions before the investigation is complete, after all these WhatsApps openly discussing betraying the party could be part of some elaborate roleplaying game or something

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

sebzilla posted:

I'm going to keep banging this drum over and over again: most people are not really being affected by this. The numbers are still (relatively) small enough that most people don't know someone who's died from it, or hell even been infected. What they are seeing is a weak lockdown that the media are treating like the Blitz, with a clap once a week for Are Key Workers. There's a government broadcast once a day that is a total farce, with absolute 0 follow up. The only journalists daring to go against the media seem to be exclusively on twitter (which most sane people don't go on). And now we've had a week of BoJo in hospital with everyone saying how brave he was.

Even with Piers now criticising the government, is he doing it on his prime time public TV show? I highly doubt it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm not watching the piers Morgan show to find out, but he did post this earlier

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1250027801081757697?s=20

so sort of? he certainly sounds more angry about it than the guy currently leading the opposition ever has

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dropped a paving slab on my big toe and currently hoping it doesn't turn purple. I will be irked if I got until 35 before breaking a bone & did it in the most boneheaded way

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

I'm going to keep banging this drum over and over again: most people are not really being affected by this. The numbers are still (relatively) small enough that most people don't know someone who's died from it, or hell even been infected.

I'm not entirely sure that's true. I know of one friend of the family who's in the ICU and in a bad way, and two of my in-laws have tested positive.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

sebzilla posted:

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

EvilHawk posted:

I'm going to keep banging this drum over and over again: most people are not really being affected by this.

Not my experience I'm afraid, multiple friends and family members have/had it, couple fof/family died from it. Don't really know anyone who hasn't been affected directly in some capacity.

We have about 90k confirmed cases now, that's 1 in 600. Add on the unconfirmed cases in the community which might be as high as 10 for every 1 formally confirmed and it's closer to 1 in 60. Guesswork and anecdote certainly, but that's all we've got right now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Dropped a paving slab on my big toe and currently hoping it doesn't turn purple. I will be irked if I got until 35 before breaking a bone & did it in the most boneheaded way
Your toes will thank you.

Seriously, the new metal-free electricians' shoes are a lot more comfortable than the steel toecaps of old, and they'll cope with a dropped bench motor so they should cope with a paving slab.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Rustybear posted:

Not my experience I'm afraid, multiple friends and family members have/had it, couple fof/family died from it. Don't really know anyone who hasn't been affected directly in some capacity.

We have about 90k confirmed cases now, that's 1 in 600. Add on the unconfirmed cases in the community which might be as high as 10 for every 1 formally confirmed and it's closer to 1 in 60. Guesswork and anecdote certainly, but that's all we've got right now.

It's definitely getting worse, the issue is that every time it gets worse the government gets to step in and enact the next part of the plan. I saw yesterday the army are starting to fill more support roles, so now the media gets to run clips of Are Boys In Green helping out (which inevitably leads to patriotic sentiment and all that nonsense).

My point is that throughout this whole crisis the government has been reacting to the public and so they've been consistently seen as being in line with public opinion. The public wanted a lockdown so the government gave them one. The public wanted the lockdown tightened, so the government gave the police the direction to start issuing fines. As long as the government continues to fill this role they're going to enjoy high approval ratings. The job Kier Starmer should be doing right now is to be publicly calling out the government everywhere he possibly could (but politics is wrong whilst coronovirus is ongoing, or something). Failing that, the Labour Party should be collecting all the evidence they can to start enquiries when it's over.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Had the Rona over the last week (Fairly mild case, like a bad flu no need for sympathy). On returning to work (from home) today I'm shocked by how many people tell me I'm the first person they know who has caught it.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

EvilHawk posted:

It's definitely getting worse, the issue is that every time it gets worse the government gets to step in and enact the next part of the plan. I saw yesterday the army are starting to fill more support roles, so now the media gets to run clips of Are Boys In Green helping out (which inevitably leads to patriotic sentiment and all that nonsense).

My point is that throughout this whole crisis the government has been reacting to the public and so they've been consistently seen as being in line with public opinion. The public wanted a lockdown so the government gave them one. The public wanted the lockdown tightened, so the government gave the police the direction to start issuing fines. As long as the government continues to fill this role they're going to enjoy high approval ratings. The job Kier Starmer should be doing right now is to be publicly calling out the government everywhere he possibly could (but politics is wrong whilst coronovirus is ongoing, or something). Failing that, the Labour Party should be collecting all the evidence they can to start enquiries when it's over.

Boris went on tv a few weeks back and said 'some of you will die and that's a sacrifice i'm willing to make' and then backtracked a week later when it was clear that the UK would be alone in saying the quiet part loud.

We're now paying the price in terms of number of dead by head of population and.... nobody cares. I'm talking soft tory voters who've now lost a loved one and still steadfastly back boris. If the death of a loved one doesn't reach those people, how does amazing policy ideas or Kier's new haircut etc.

Sorry not really lot of point to this, just general howling into the void.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
IMO a lot of that support for Johnson is because people want to support him. Like, because they're not cynical/realist/pessimistic/whatever bastards like people ITT, they actually feel drawn (or at least obliged) to the idea that the Government is doing A Great Job and that Johnson is some sort of hero. Add to that the fact that most people love a good LARP and this gives them the chance to act out WWII 'Keep Calm' Blitz Spirit fantasies. Hell, I spent the first day after I was off work tapping birch trees for sap, picking nettles for soup, picking mushrooms because I felt like this was the end times. That's just me LARPing a different scenario but it's equivalent to the Johnson=lion and Brittun will not be defeated shite. My mum literally said, in response to other countries going into lockdown, 'I don't think that will happen here, we're just not that sort of country'.

Also this has really driven home to me that my grandparents, who in this case can probably be seen as representative, literally get their entire understanding of current affairs from three sources:
- The Telegraph (daily subscription)
- BBC News on TV (not website, so literally just the daily report which atm is mostly just a report by:)
- Government spokespeople
Imagine if literally the only information you had about the inside world came to you via those sources.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

sebzilla posted:

Did you not watch the statement he released the day he got out of hospital? I guarantee most of the nation did and even as someone aware of the staggering hypocrisy of it I have to admit it was pretty powerful. Are brave NHS!

You have to give things like these time to fade in the public consciousness before the bigger picture comes into view. That's why popular opinion typically starts to drop off sharply once these crises are actually over.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Who's excited for the weekly "it's not the weekend any more" bump in reported deaths today? Reckon we'll top a thousand?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Who's excited for the weekly "it's not the weekend any more" bump in reported deaths today? Reckon we'll top a thousand?

The bump kicks in two days after a public holiday ends. Expect it on Wednesday instead.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

forkboy84 posted:

Well take it as an excuse to buy steel toed boots.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Labour & Starmer can't do anything right just now.

If they look into the report (either the contents or the leaking) the melts are going 'we have bigger more important things to focus on than the labour party infighting again.
If Starmer dares to criticize the govt - 'now is not the time for politicing, we should be supporting the govt'
If Starmer doesn't criticize the govt - 'where is the opposition, why aren't they opposing' (from the same people who say the above).

I'm not a Starmer fan (I tend to think of him as a plank of wood), but whatever Labour do right now, they ain't going to win. So they may as well get into sorting out the fallout from that report.

<IMHO>They need to look into the CONTENT of that report, issue it with names of complainants redacted* (apparently fascist websites have publicized names from it) - I've noticed it being deleted from a lot of places and I deleted all my tweets sharing links to it though I saved a copy to my computer), expel or at the very least suspend participants in the fifth column activities.
</IMHO>

Ed: *by 'complainants' I mean the individual ordinary members who have been named, not the staffers such as McNicol etc.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 14, 2020

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

lol stop with this political realism poo poo it's embarassing, starmer could do what is right but he's not, he's very explicitly not acting on the contents of the report, mostly because half the people involved are his immediate personal friends

and of course the public leaked report will end up in everyone's hands but these people are named officials anyway, there's not a realistic or credible immediate threat as a result other than what has always been available, people telling you to not share things are gaslighting the poo poo out of you and trying to turn it into another issue and you're falling for it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Toes are the horses of the skeleton, complete useless idiot hell fuckers vulnerable to injury at the slightest provocation.

If it's any consolation visiting the hospital (at least unless there's evidence of severe bloodflow disruption - the toe going pale/cold) is completely pointless, just buddy-splint it to the one next to it. Wrap a splint/lolly stick/chip fork cut to the right length (clean it and sand/cut off any splinters obviously) in a couple of layers of gauze, stick it between the broken toe and its bigger neighbour, then wrap gauze/micropore tape around the two, tight enough to keep them together but loose enough that it's not restricting circulation. Obviously wash the toes carefully, keep off the foot as much as possible, elevate it and (for the first day) keep it cold. If you don't have gauze and micropore tape sticking plasters will do but be careful to not stick the broken toe at a weird angle. Make sure to take it off and wash the area carefully each day, replacing the splint if possible.

Source: Have broken 7 toes now in successively more stupid ways, starting with two while playing football progressing to the middle three on my right foot falling over a suitcase I was using to stop the dog from getting upstairs while I was painting but was too lazy to move.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Toes are the horses of the skeleton, complete useless idiot hell fuckers vulnerable to injury at the slightest provocation.

Please think of the toe suckers among us.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it's any consolation visiting the hospital (at least unless there's evidence of severe bloodflow disruption - the toe going pale/cold) is completely pointless, just buddy-splint it to the one next to it. Wrap a splint/lolly stick/chip fork cut to the right length (clean it and sand/cut off any splinters obviously) in a couple of layers of gauze, stick it between the broken toe and its bigger neighbour, then wrap gauze/micropore tape around the two, tight enough to keep them together but loose enough that it's not restricting circulation. Obviously wash the toes carefully, keep off the foot as much as possible, elevate it and (for the first day) keep it cold. If you don't have gauze and micropore tape sticking plasters will do but be careful to not stick the broken toe at a weird angle. Make sure to take it off and wash the area carefully each day, replacing the splint if possible.

Source: Have broken 7 toes now in successively more stupid ways, starting with two while playing football progressing to the middle three on my right foot falling over a suitcase I was using to stop the dog from getting upstairs while I was painting but was too lazy to move.

Yeah, that's just what the NHS site basically said, with the caveat being "if it's the big toe, come see us". Which I imagine I'll disregard unless it's actively too sore to walk on. Not really the time for a hospital visit.

And no, I will never buy boots. Boots suck. Trainers 4 lyfe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Please think of the toe suckers among us.

Such people do not exist. Foot fetish is not a thing. Never has been, never will be. Far too gross to be a thing. People making GBS threads on each other, fine, whatever ticks your boat, but feet? That'd be like masturbating to video footage of the Red Army liberating Auschwitz. Inconcievable

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

brian posted:

lol stop with this political realism poo poo it's embarassing, starmer could do what is right but he's not, he's very explicitly not acting on the contents of the report, mostly because half the people involved are his immediate personal friends

and of course the public leaked report will end up in everyone's hands but these people are named officials anyway, there's not a realistic or credible immediate threat as a result other than what has always been available, people telling you to not share things are gaslighting the poo poo out of you and trying to turn it into another issue and you're falling for it

Yeah, you do what's right or you don't. That's what separates us from the centrists and the liberals, and it's a bar Starmer is entirely incapable of clearing

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

brian posted:

Re complainants, I'm not talking about the guilty parties who darn well do need to be named, I'm talking about the individual ordinary members who have been named.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

And no, I will never buy boots. Boots suck. Trainers 4 lyfe
Fine, but you get to pay twice as much.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Re complainants, I'm not talking about the guilty parties who darn well do need to be named, I'm talking about the individual ordinary members who have been named.

And did they ask you to remove it? I get being sympathetic to people who have their privacy invaded but there's no putting genies back in bottles at this point and I don't know why this is uniquely dangerous compared to any other labour member who's ever worn any party gear or gone canvassing, which presumably these people signed up to previously. Regardless the protection of members should be handled by the party for their culpability in all this due to their complete lack of transparency and money should be spent ensuring they're safe and I don't see Keir doing that either. The report itself needed to come to public attention and will be widely available regardless of whatever you do.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Labour & Starmer can't do anything right just now.

If they look into the report (either the contents or the leaking) the melts are going 'we have bigger more important things to focus on than the labour party infighting again.
If Starmer dares to criticize the govt - 'now is not the time for politicing, we should be supporting the govt'
If Starmer doesn't criticize the govt - 'where is the opposition, why aren't they opposing' (from the same people who say the above).

I'm not a Starmer fan (I tend to think of him as a plank of wood), but whatever Labour do right now, they ain't going to win. So they may as well get into sorting out the fallout from that report.

<IMHO>They need to look into the CONTENT of that report, issue it with names of complainants redacted* (apparently fascist websites have publicized names from it) - I've noticed it being deleted from a lot of places and I deleted all my tweets sharing links to it though I saved a copy to my computer), expel or at the very least suspend participants in the fifth column activities.
</IMHO>

Ed: *by 'complainants' I mean the individual ordinary members who have been named, not the staffers such as McNicol etc.

Where does 're-appointing the various charmers named and shamed in the dossier to their old jobs in Labour HQ' fit on this analysis?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I know someone who had it. They didn't reach the hospitalisation stage but their description still sounded super unfun in a "I definitely do not want to risk catching this" sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rustybear posted:

Where does 're-appointing the various charmers named and shamed in the dossier to their old jobs in Labour HQ' fit on this analysis?

In the acting on the content of the report, their expulsion or suspension.
I guess what I am doing here is giving Starmer the benefit of the doubt that he was unaware of much of this, which is open to question. After all, the stuff about McNicol deliberately hampering investigations has been 'known' to members on the left of the party for a long while even without direct evidence.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 14, 2020