Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I get those sort of temps (70-80 celcius) with my 1070ti, but I live in Malaysia, and the climate here is generally considered a lot hotter, so I think those seem on the high end to me. Not a problem per se but not normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Artelier posted:

I get those sort of temps (70-80 celcius) with my 1070ti, but I live in Malaysia, and the climate here is generally considered a lot hotter, so I think those seem on the high end to me. Not a problem per se but not normal.
Yeah, for your climate that is probably fairly normal. Load temperatures for hardware always have to be looked at in terms of the difference from room temperature, because it's all about how much heat energy per second your fans and cooling elements are capable of transporting away. If you consistently have a room temperature of 35 degrees celsius or something, then having 15 extra degrees on someone with a room temperature of 20 degrees is not a sign of any hardware issues, it's just thermodynamics.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Thanks all for the help.

I recently wrapped up Doom Eternal and I have mixed thoughts on it. It has high highs and low lows. When it clicks it's fantastic but a few design decisions really sour the experience.

There is some really great level design but some of them over-rely on platforming mechanics that don't always flow very well, and some are really frustrating. Probably had to retry more of these than any of the combat encounters.

The Marauder is terrible enemy design and doesn't really fit the play-style of rest of the game. It's like someone thought "hey people like Dark Souls, lets put a souls-like enemy in the game where you have to time your attacks". Only it's worse because he auto-blocks anything that isn't timed *just so*. If there was only one of them as a boss encounter it might have been ok but he shows up too frequently towards the end of the game.

I turned the difficulty down a notch for the last 3 or 4 levels as it got a bit too much, some of the later encounters were just piling on more and more really tough enemies at once and it didn't seem like a fair fight anymore.

I'm not sure if I could go back to Doom 2016 but I don't think I had as this many issues with it at the time, I'd have to play them back to back to see if I actually preferred it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MZ posted:

I'm not sure if I could go back to Doom 2016 but I don't think I had as this many issues with it at the time, I'd have to play them back to back to see if I actually preferred it.

I went back to doom 2016 right after I finished eternal to make sure it wasn’t rose colored glasses and it confirmed that no, 2016 really is better overall

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I sat back down with AssCreed Origins after all the talk. Holy poo poo that was fun. I'm just getting to Alexandria but I'm having a blast. So far, my only complaint is the flashback felt a bit slow since I couldn't scale the mountain to get where I wanted to quicky. :shrug:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ragequit posted:

I am sure nobody cares, but it turns out this was due to my aging 3570K processor. It must have been caching my inputs and making my character continue in random directions. I grabbed a Ryzen 7 3700X and a new motherboard over the weekend and the problem is gone. The 3570K had been great for everything else, even newer games than Youngblood, so that was surprising. That processor was a great value over 8 years, so I can't complain. RIP to a real one.

How is the game? I thought about picking it up sometime for the co-op but early impressions were mixed and I wonder how it is now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PlushCow posted:

How is the game? I thought about picking it up sometime for the co-op but early impressions were mixed and I wonder how it is now.

It's not great. If you have an Nvidia RTX card it's worth grabbing for cheap to dick around with the ray tracing and DLSS features, but a lot of the enemies are bullet spongy unless you're always using the right gun for them and the level design is not great. You can actually navigate them, it's not New Colussus bad, but it's certainly not good.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's not great. If you have an Nvidia RTX card it's worth grabbing for cheap to dick around with the ray tracing and DLSS features, but a lot of the enemies are bullet spongy unless you're always using the right gun for them and the level design is not great. You can actually navigate them, it's not New Colussus bad, but it's certainly not good.

Sounds about right. It’s fine. The levels are big and sprawling with some vertical options, but you only have a mini-map. There is no full map view which is baffling. There are only a few levels that you revisit and open up new paths in through various missions. I would give it a pass.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Surprise XCom spin-off launching in ten days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnpl3hWfVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fhpegVBQQ

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882100/XCOM_Chimera_Squad/

Only £17 with a pre-order discount of 50%

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"Welcome to City 31, a model of peace in a post-invasion world. However, not all of Earth's inhabitants support interspecies alliance."

Remake TFTD, not Apocalypse!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

WHAT

WHERE DID THIS COME FROM HOW IS IT - /desperately running to buy it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

But can I romance the snake

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
XCOM is cool and good, but I think I might be more interested in knowing what's happening there with that surprise drop and 50% (?!) pre-order discount. Is this some test to see if spending insane amounts of money on marketing matters? Is the game incredibly broken? Was it supposed to come out next year and they need the money now? Does the pandemic have any influence here?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This doesn't matter because XCOM but

Assassin's Creed 2 is free to keep on UPLAY if you grab it before the 17th

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Baller Time posted:

XCOM is cool and good, but I think I might be more interested in knowing what's happening there with that surprise drop and 50% (?!) pre-order discount. Is this some test to see if spending insane amounts of money on marketing matters? Is the game incredibly broken? Was it supposed to come out next year and they need the money now? Does the pandemic have any influence here?

I am desperate to know how big/small the game is, how involved it is, etc. Like I bought it because XCOM but I also want to know what's going on at Firaxis.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It just strikes me as a lower budget spin-off game, something that would have been on Xbox Live Arcade back in the 360 days. Just something to get people talking about XCom again, hopefully because they're getting ready to announce XCom 3 soon.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That discount makes me a little worried about the gameplay depth, but I guess I’ll just refund it if it’s terrible!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Veotax posted:

It just strikes me as a lower budget spin-off game, something that would have been on Xbox Live Arcade back in the 360 days. Just something to get people talking about XCom again, hopefully because they're getting ready to announce XCom 3 soon.

Yeah, it basically feels like something that got put out as almost a kind of marketing that can recoup its own costs. Looks pretty sweet and I totally dropped the ten bucks, but it's definitely something to get people hyped for XCom 3.

It reminds me of that spaceship turn-based battle game they put out before Civ Beyond Earth launched. I have more hours in that than Beyond Earth, actually.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I assume that some people just had a cool idea for an XCOM spinoff as a chance to try new themes/gameplay mechanics. It’ll probably be pretty short and not as varied as mainline XCOM, and for $10 that seems fine.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Considering how bad the optimization of XCom 2 was at launch, it seems like an especially bad idea to preorder this.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Oh holy poo poo, XCom Chimera Squad looks loving great. Looks less replayable than XCom games because it's more story based with 11 named characters and straight up reloading if you fail a mission. Love the inter-leaved turns, should cut down on the optimal XCom strategy of "Activate enemy pod with first character on your turn, eliminate 90% of the enemies in one turn, carefully move to next pod" when each actor has a single turn instead of the whole team at once.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

This doesn't matter because XCOM but

Assassin's Creed 2 is free to keep on UPLAY if you grab it before the 17th
Appreciated, I grabbed that right away.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Baller Time posted:

This is Take Two so who knows, it could be a combination of all of the above.

However, the fact that they're dropping this out of nowhere, being a new installment in the franchise that Gears Tactics is copying, 4 days ahead of that game and way, way cheaper ($10 vs $60), is just brutal. Someone at Microsoft is yelling right now.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It does seem like it fixes XCOM2's biggest problem, the lovely pod reveal mechanic. Even if it does it by just not having any pre-combat movement, that's worth it.

Going for (randomized) interleaved turn order is a interesting experiment too. I'd have expected alternating but they're going more hardcore than that.
I'd love to see a simultaneous turn based XCOM though.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 14, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It's also probably a way to playtest a bunch of mechanics they want to use in XCom 3, like the new turn order. If you look at the XCom 2 DLC's that were first released, they were all concepts that were built on heavily in War of the Chosen. The XCom playerbase is really good at picking apart the systems so that kind of massive feedback is absolutely something they're going for.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I will be shocked if there's no XCOM 3 stinger at the end of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Appreciated, I grabbed that right away.

With enough free giveaways I will complete my AssCreed collection! I now own 1-3 + Unity + Chronicles: China without ever buying any of them. Unfortunately for them, I'm not interested in playing them because Origins and Odyssey exist. :v:

Anyways!

XCOM: smaller, story-driven experience that's a testbed for mechanics for 10$ is so much my jam it's unbelievable. I know it won't/can't be as tight as Into the Breach, but something on that scale would be fantastic, and would help convince me to reinstall XCOM 2 and beat it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Apparently it has full mod support, too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anno posted:

Apparently it has full mod support, too.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/xcom-chimera-squad-ironman-mode-permadeath-mod-support

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I am all on board of Chimera Squad, especially since it seems to have way more charm and personality than Phoenix Point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PowerBeard posted:

I am all on board of Chimera Squad, especially since it seems to have way more charm and personality than Phoenix Point.

Beige paint has more charm and personality than Phoenix Point. That game wasted a really cool setting.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone play it? I'm deep into Rimworld atm and haven't even touched M&B2 but this looks cool

I immediately do not like that the grid is not really there and hard to see.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am playing the RE1 remake and is there a way to remove the picture frame black borders?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

With enough free giveaways I will complete my AssCreed collection! I now own 1-3 + Unity + Chronicles: China without ever buying any of them. Unfortunately for them, I'm not interested in playing them because Origins and Odyssey exist. :v:
You should at least play AC2 at some point, if you haven't already. It's the game that catapulted Asscreed from "sort-of-interesting new thing" to "notable and world-famous" for a reason.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am playing the RE1 remake and is there a way to remove the picture frame black borders?

The letterboxing on the side of the screen?

I'm pretty sure the remaster has a couple of modes where you can zoom the camera in to fill the screen, I think.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Fallout 76 has finally come to Steam as an experiment to find out if there's a general consensus level beyond Mostly Negative.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Fallout 76

Overall user reviews: Mostly Negative (188)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blattdorf posted:

Fallout 76 has finally come to Steam as an experiment to find out if there's a general consensus level beyond Mostly Negative.

There are a few Overwhelmingly Negative games on Steam.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Blattdorf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TGalu36BHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In case you're wondering, Bad Rats has a 75% positive rating which I imagine can only be due to ironic goon reviews.