Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Coolguye posted:

A ‘good’ video LP of Ck2 is a very squishy thing because the game is frequently not that exciting to watch in a basic sense so you have to do something to keep it interesting. Some folks edit out the boring parts (which can make the action jarring), others adopt some sort of schtick (which can be annoying and detract from the game), etc. A lot of the recommendation will depend on what you do and don’t enjoy.

To underline the point, I enjoy EU4 videos showing off fancy strategies and LPer mastery. But with CK2 there are very few letsplays like that. Achievement guides are all cheese fests like "actually if you start as count of Orsha in 1275.02.07 you already have 5 dwarves in your court and you only need to invite 2 from Mongol Empire to get 7". Mastery LPs depend on luck heavily.

Story-focused LPs might be both interesting and educational. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk-D_AxOcUapAkx3t-6KcKBPQs0koP3qC But of course they heavily depend on whether you like the style of the player, the pacing and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
ManyATrueNerd is doing a playthrough right now, trying to restore the Roman Empire, and that's what got me interested in playing the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4EIl1tGhdY . He started as a Serbian county and he's now the Byzantine Emperor two rulers in a row.

I'm pretty sure he cuts out a lot of the dull parts, so it's not a tutorial. But there's enough there you can pick up some basics and some finer points. Plus he's a good narrator and knowledgeable about history. He does a fair amount of roleplaying without it being twee.

Edit: So my 2 year old girl that survived the plague and entered adulthood with no traits at all now has all 7 green traits, plus zealous, content, and a few others. She matrilineally married a third in line Prince that became King of Scotland. He died horribly defending Scotland and she remarried after having two sons, with an heir that has claims to Scotland and Sweden. A Crusade was called in Finland FINALLY at a time of stability for me. I made her commander and she got the Crusader trait, also where she picked up most of her green traits. She also got Possessed, went full piety and has now embraced a heresy. Oops. She conceived a daughter after becoming Chaste.

Can I ask the Pope to get me out of the heresy? Also, with the Crusade I fought several big battles, won a few, took hold of a few territories in the war zone. Do I have to stay engaged for the duration or am I good? Because my dudes were taking massive attrition and I've had to bail the theater of war twice. I kinda doubt the Pope's going to win this one. The war score is stuck around 50%.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 9, 2020

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ilitarist posted:

"actually if you start as count of Orsha in 1275.02.07 you already have 5 dwarves in your court and you only need to invite 2 from Mongol Empire to get 7".

lmao

thank you

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ah poo poo, the Pope won the Crusade and I didn’t get any gold or prestige I guess because I adopted a heresy before it ended.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The only time I'm sad about playing Iron Man is when I move my capital to a cool place and realize that I lose 3 levels of all tech and there's no way back.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ilitarist posted:

The only time I'm sad about playing Iron Man is when I move my capital to a cool place and realize that I lose 3 levels of all tech and there's no way back.

Not that you can sometimes cheese the move capital cooldown, because you can always move your capital to the de jure capital of your primary title. So you can always move your capital to Paris if you're the king of West Francia France, or to Lhasa if you're the emperor of Tibet.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'll have to experiment with that. There should be some sort of cooldown, shouldn't it?

I've started as Norway (one of the latest Monarch Journeys) and Norway was my primary title for the most of the game. My last king formed custom empire via decision (I didn't want to wait till I can eat the remainings of Sweden and right after I formed an empire they all agreed to be vassalized). The capital was the same boring 3 baronies county in a middle of Norway northern shore. But as every ruler in my dynasty was a Hermetic (and two of them wrote Magnum Opuses so their descendants were practically forced to get into Hermetics to get +10 learning from those) this county is very advanced. I moved my capital to Skane (6 baronies). So I'm wondering if that Norway capital is considered to be my new Imperial capital.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if my learning-enhanced rulers will be able to quickly uplift Skane.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
uhhh what is up with this game and why do I want to buy it so much
https://store.steampowered.com/app/334310/Plebby_Quest_The_Crusades/

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ilitarist posted:

This is why if I ever move my capital I keep the old one in my demense for a while, because tech spread happens between your own demense provinces regardless of where they're located. If you set your marshal, steward, and court chaplain to their respective research boosting jobs in the new capital, you can catch back up pretty quickly

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

If I don’t have many DLCs what does Legalism 4 unlock for me? It says it unlocks choices but doesn’t say what they are. What tech should I prioritize in that category if I’m done with Legalism?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

fuf posted:

crud, this actually looks pretty cool and the reviews are good. i don’t want to buy anything please i’m only making 200 a week on unemployment someone tell me it is bad, i beg u

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

a fatguy baldspot posted:

crud, this actually looks pretty cool and the reviews are good. i don’t want to buy anything please i’m only making 200 a week on unemployment someone tell me it is bad, i beg u

poo poo game bro, just fire up CK2 instead

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

If I don’t have many DLCs what does Legalism 4 unlock for me? It says it unlocks choices but doesn’t say what they are. What tech should I prioritize in that category if I’m done with Legalism?

If you don't have Conclave, Legalism 4 gives you viceroyalty (I think, I've never played without Conclave). When you're done with Legalism you should get to Majesty 5 for Imperial Administration.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

fuf posted:

Because you want to contribute to the rising tide of terrible art direction in video games?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Trying to build up a Coptic Egypt kingdom, and apparently you can just crack open the pyramids and bury your own kings in them if you want. Sorry future archeologists

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just told my daughter "no place is as maggot-infested as your womb" during a Flyting.

I guess I missed the whole 'Don't start what you can't finish' lesson during her education

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Knuc U Kinte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMtkcXS3QJM

Here is a noob tutorial by quill18 that is up to the current patch. Watch it and go from there. I remember him being good years ago when I watched LPs to learn things.

That's a good one. I came across it earlier when searching YouTube and turned it off early on at first because his voice was grating in the beginning. But I gave it another try since it was posted here and he goes into a more normal speaking voice pretty quickly, and he's actually really informative without getting boring. I started his Count of Paris LP too, it's quite eventful and entertaining.

I tried one of ManyATrueNerd's LPs of it (his original play, not the one linked here), but he spent too much time going over what the AI rulers were doing and it just dragged too much. Maybe his newer one is better though.

ilitarist posted:

Story-focused LPs might be both interesting and educational. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk-D_AxOcUapAkx3t-6KcKBPQs0koP3qC But of course they heavily depend on whether you like the style of the player, the pacing and so on.
I bookmarked this one for later, sounds like it could be interesting

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

CK2 pro-tip of the day: You can find out the location of your enemy's army, even through fog of war, by checking around your enemy's court to see who is currently commanding, right clicking on them, and hitting the Go To Location button at the top. You can also use your spymaster to scout around enemy territory since he reveals the provinces next to wherever he's assigned.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've done that before to figure out which way an adventurer is coming at me from.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think I'm onto my 4th or 5th attempt to get a Merchant Republic functioning well as Lithuania.
The reformation side of things is a massive ball-ache, since I always forget about the Piety requirements and without the piles of boats you get as a Norse faction, it's hard to burn enough churches for the MA.

Still, the Most Serene Republic of Lithuania is now alive and kicking. Baltic Sea has - I think - 11 or 12 possible trade posts, so it should be a colossal money-maker given time. And, as an added bonus, the other houses seem to be building their trade posts in the Adriatic, which means I don't have to bother killing them off (yet).

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

kingturnip posted:

I think I'm onto my 4th or 5th attempt to get a Merchant Republic functioning well as Lithuania.
The reformation side of things is a massive ball-ache, since I always forget about the Piety requirements and without the piles of boats you get as a Norse faction, it's hard to burn enough churches for the MA.

Still, the Most Serene Republic of Lithuania is now alive and kicking. Baltic Sea has - I think - 11 or 12 possible trade posts, so it should be a colossal money-maker given time. And, as an added bonus, the other houses seem to be building their trade posts in the Adriatic, which means I don't have to bother killing them off (yet).

er, the east of italy adriatic? how?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

er, the east of italy adriatic? how?

I mean, they can build them wherever, right? It just costs a stupid amount of money?
Whatever, if they're going to spunk hundreds of gold on a trade post miles leagues away from anything else, fine by me.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I've decided to finally get at least 1066-1453 full campaign achievement cause my Harald of Norway game started fun. Now I probably have the biggest empire I ever had in that game and I've played since 2012.

At some point they've added a lot to empire management. I remember it being just another tier, but now you have a lot of small things that help with making big empires much more bearable. I had a great king marrying a queen of Epirus (she was also a queen of Bulgaria and Greece) at the time when I've held kingdoms of Norway, Sweden, Lapland and Finland. My custom empire also subjugated Alba (Scotland) and many other lands. Then the Pope called for a crusade for Thrace (under Fatimids) and I became the king of Thrace. I switched to Latin Empire in Constantinople and discovered that having a private chamber in Hagia Sophia is an only reliable way to seduce your wife.

Then I had a demon spawn girl. She forced her way to power, inherited all the Balkans, joined another crusade to get a kingdom of Egypt. I have 6 viceroyalty kingdoms now so Feudal vassals are irritated but not much. I've also decided to get that achievement for demon spawn becoming a leader of Satanists (at the same time I got an achievement for just becoming a satanist leader) and it wasn't that hard. I don't like Satanists because they seem week compared to other factions - when I'm a saint and wise dude I can murder people without becoming sick and depressed. But in a way Satanists help CK2 to get out of uncanny valley of a game that feels quite realistic except when it's not. I can't get mad at the game because of lack of proper inter-faith alliances, coups and realistic inheritance or feudal contract systems when there's a student club for emperors or Satanists can send a plague on a person.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think this week's CK3 Dev Diary will make a lot of people around here very happy.

Paradox posted:

As you might suspect, the CK3 team consists of some very nerdy, passionate and compassionate people. Some of the things we’re outlining in this Dev Diary were part of the regular development process, and some have been passion projects. It has been very important for us to represent our players, the team behind the game, and the people who don’t feature heavily in most history books and media. We want everyone to feel welcome and to empower you to play your fantasy.

CK3 truly is a diverse game; it spans a map of nearly half the world and almost six centuries of history. This world is inhabited by a myriad of titles, cultures, faiths, and characters. It’s been our goal to represent all of these things with a great level of detail and accuracy to give you all a deeply immersive experience with more dynamic elements and player choice than ever before. Will you recreate history, build a brand new world, or something in between? It is all in your hands.

But we haven’t just added more diversity; that variety is also much more readily available than it was in CK2. For example, all Faiths and Cultures on the map are playable on release, and the dynamic Faith system will give you much greater power to change the world. We’ve also added many different Game Rules which allow you to tailor your CK3 experience. If you would rather play as a Queen than a King from day one, the Game Rules let you do that, without having to create a custom Faith during your campaign. There are other challenges out there to conquer and stories to explore!

We are incredibly proud of all the stuff we’ve made for you, so without any further ado, let’s jump into the juicy, juicy details!

(for me specifically, it means that half the poo poo I used to change via modding is now vanilla so I'll be able to spend more time playing the drat game and maybe actually earn an achievement or two!)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I suspect changing most of those rules will invalidate achievements. Equality probably makes the game much easier. I also foresee special achievements for specific rules.

Also hope for an event about popessa who is secretly a male.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

biggest news to me is all faiths and cultures available, that’s amazing. could’ve sworn they said we were going back to christians

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I do indeed enjoy that DD. The characters/clothing/backgrounds continue to get so much better. This one in particular looks pretty rad.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

extremely disappointed in the lack of “homosexuality dominant” options tho

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

There's already a game rule that can make homo/bi/asexuality the Most Common Orientation instead of heteroseuality, so maybe someone will be inspired to add "Required" to the possible views a Faith can have on same-sex relations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think this week's CK3 Dev Diary will make a lot of people around here very happy.

(for me specifically, it means that half the poo poo I used to change via modding is now vanilla so I'll be able to spend more time playing the drat game and maybe actually earn an achievement or two!)

867 start confirmed, then?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I do love that being a bisexual fuckmaster is still the optimal play vis-à-vis romance.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What stuck out to me was the religion shuffle option, which sounds like they may be laying down the groundwork for a Holy Fury style randomizer even if it's not going to be there at release.

And even if not, that's gonna be some fast and quick thunderdome action, although almost certainly I would wind up as the less dominant religion.

I don't think feudalism works well with dominant homosexuality, seeing as how it's entirely based on familial connections of royals whose main purpose is to breed to create more royals. You can try having unrelated heirs or some poo poo, but at that point it's basically a republic.

Also worth considering how marriage and romance weren't always considered fully connected.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

:allears:

biggest news to me is all faiths and cultures available, that’s amazing. could’ve sworn they said we were going back to christians

Only major thing they're leaving out in this regard are republics and steppe nomads. (the latter will still be playable but not with unique mechanics)

Vichan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 14, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The real challenge you have is to reform your favourite religion to have that.

Blood and thunder! Victory at sea!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm confused about how my game is selecting my heir. My first born is a son, followed by two daughter, with a long pause before twin sons. I married my first born son off to a nearby, but foreign countess. This son still showed up as my heir, until for no reason I can tell the game told me Daughter 1 was now my heir. Then the twin sons were born and it changed my heir to the oldest twin. Back to first born son, he had a son and now THAT is my heir. My first born son and heir are both not in my court. Short time after the heir change, first born son becomes a bishop.

What the gently caress is going on?

Edit: Checked some more details. The countess wife died. But not before first born became a bishop. Current heir is now the 2 year old count. He is still in my house, so I didn't accidentally marry first born off matrilineally.

Succession is primogeniture.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 14, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

My immediate guess is that the countess you married your son off to picked him as the heir to one of her bishoprics, which would make him ineligible for succession (both from her and from you) even before he actually became a bishop, but doesn't change anything for any kids they have. Since at that point neither you nor he had any eligible sons, your daughter became the heir. (you didn't say, but I assume you're on Agnatic-Cognatic).

Then you had twin sons so the elder of them became the heir. Then your son had a kid, and since even though HE wasn't eligible he was still your eldest, his son inherits over his younger siblings or their kids.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Anno posted:

I do indeed enjoy that DD. The characters/clothing/backgrounds continue to get so much better. This one in particular looks pretty rad.

I was just coming in to comment on that exact picture, because I wasn't sure about the change to 3D models, but that image change my mind. It looks so good!

Also I absolutely want to play as Matriarch Aamira.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

catlord posted:

I was just coming in to comment on that exact picture, because I wasn't sure about the change to 3D models, but that image change my mind. It looks so good!

Also I absolutely want to play as Matriarch Aamira.

Me too! I hope they do a diary showing off the generational changes.

My only concern is just that there won’t be enough of the clothes/backgrounds to keep up the diversity for awhile, and that it’ll be relatively hard to mod.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think feudalism works well
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This game has too many traits.