Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Olaf model for new Lost Vikings game lookin’ good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not strictly a glitch, but I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed Odyssey lately and found this on reddit

https://i.imgur.com/bN06AcV.mp4

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Not strictly a glitch, but I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed Odyssey lately and found this on reddit

Ah, Assassin's Creed Boat Physics. They could make some amazing stunts happen in Black Flag. For example, when I was trying to take over an enemy vessel, I tried to be clever and air assassinate their captain by jumping from the main mast. Duncan dove *through* the deck of the enemy ship, then warped right back on the mast like nothing happened. Similar stuff happened in naval battles on the regular. Also, occasionally the Jackdaw would bug out when berthed at a port and form a hole in the ocean some fifty meters deep. The ship would just chill out in Neptunes kingdom until you reloaded the session.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quill posted:

Ah, Assassin's Creed Boat Physics. They could make some amazing stunts happen in Black Flag. For example, when I was trying to take over an enemy vessel, I tried to be clever and air assassinate their captain by jumping from the main mast. Duncan dove *through* the deck of the enemy ship, then warped right back on the mast like nothing happened. Similar stuff happened in naval battles on the regular. Also, occasionally the Jackdaw would bug out when berthed at a port and form a hole in the ocean some fifty meters deep. The ship would just chill out in Neptunes kingdom until you reloaded the session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQ_ZozZIio

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I fully expected this to be Ascension of the Jackdaw and I was not disappointed :allears:

easily one of my favorite glitch videos, up there with "the gods know what you've done"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I still have no loving idea how something like that could possibly happen, but it's definitely up there.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Oh wow, guess that bug wasn't as rare as I thought!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Besides the typical open world glitchyness, AC Odyssey is remarkably bug-free, especially for an Ubisoft open world game. I mean, you have the odd weird IK issue or AI reacting weirdly but nothing like people floating up into the sky or anything.

It's just weird and sad to have a Ubisoft open world game and not have ridiculous poo poo happen constantly. On the plus side, it's a drat good game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

I still have no loving idea how something like that could possibly happen, but it's definitely up there.

Here's my guess: the game decided it needed to spawn in the ship (out of nowhere, and who knows why that happened). This involves bringing in a) the ship itself, and b) the ship's crew. The crew spawned normally (i.e. where they would be if the ship spawned correctly), but the ship for some reason spawned with an invalid, massively negative, altitude. Now, the game has logic for determining the boat's altitude based on the movement of the ocean. It needs this for realistic wave motion especially during storms. The game corrects the ship's altitude slowly over time -- it's not subject to gravity or bouyancy, the game just moves it up and down based on what direction it thinks the water's in. But it doesn't allow for very large motion in a short time, because that would look implausible. So the ship gradually climbs out of its massively negative position towards the correct altitude.

As for why all the people fly up into the sky, my guess would be that when the ship's altitude gets corrected, that adjustment is also applied to the people on the ship, to avoid them clipping into the deck or getting tossed around. So they spawned thousands of meters above the ship's deck (or rather, the ship's deck spawned thousands of meters below them)...and as the ship rises, so too do they, to maintain that same offset.

The hole in the ocean is probably a side-effect of logic to make sure that the ocean doesn't clip into the interior of the ship. That's not a big deal for a large ship like this, but it's more important for e.g. rowboats where you don't want to see the ocean through the bottom of the boat. And they probably just re-used the same logic for all ships regardless of size.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stare-Out posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bN06AcV.mp4

Skill unlocked: I Don’t Need No Haystack

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What's great is that pretty soon into the game it completely removes fall damage but the ragdoll still activates there. I've said it before, but ragdolls are the best thing to happen to video games ever.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Stare-Out posted:

What's great is that pretty soon into the game it completely removes fall damage but the ragdoll still activates there. I've said it before, but ragdolls are the best thing to happen to video games ever.

totally agree, Dismount gave me so many hours of enjoyment. I'm really sad that the Wreckfest soft body physics tech still hasn't been implemented widely. I want a mashup game of Burnout, Red Faction, and Dismount, with all the most advanced physics engines.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Euphoria physics engine is fantastic and really the only thing I like about Rockstar's games. Especially when it bugs out and does something unexpected.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Stare-Out posted:

I wish you ragdolled in DAI when flinging yourself around Skyhold. Finding the tallest places to jump from just isn't the same without that.

Obviously the rookery to Solas' office is a classic, but I'm also partial to jumping from Vivienne's balcony.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

GTA5 has a voluntary ragdoll button but it's a shame the characters are made out of paper and die from the slightest impact while ragdolling.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

totally agree, Dismount gave me so many hours of enjoyment. I'm really sad that the Wreckfest soft body physics tech still hasn't been implemented widely. I want a mashup game of Burnout, Red Faction, and Dismount, with all the most advanced physics engines.

My god yes. Red Faction building destruction was some of the most satisfying poo poo.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Say what you will about Saint's Row, the ragdoll minigame is more entertaining than anything in GTA

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stare-Out posted:

GTA5 has a voluntary ragdoll button but it's a shame the characters are made out of paper and die from the slightest impact while ragdolling.

Trevor in rage mode can't die, which applies to ragdolling! Which is great, because he can toss himself down mountains without cheats.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RandomFerret posted:

Say what you will about Saint's Row, the ragdoll minigame is more entertaining than anything in GTA

Lol, same. People apparently hated that minigame but it gave me great burnout vibes and I really enjoyed it. Oh and the game with the murder-orb was good too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It still is lame how much weaker the characters are compared to GTA4 for instance. It was far from great but at least Niko could fly through a windscreen, ragdoll off of several cars and fall into a swingset and fly into space and still live but in GTA5 you slide down a steep hill for two seconds and you're dead.

Still, Euphoria rules and results in some great ragdoll stuff.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So it's Euphoria or Rage for that GTA engine?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine) is the overall engine they've used since forever, the Euphoria Physics Engine handles the physics simulation, most notably the character based physics. Euphoria isn't Rockstar's own thing, other games have used it too but it's mostly known for GTA and RDR. So it's similar to say, Unreal and Havok, for instance.

E: Actually that's not a great comparison aside from the fact that the actual engine and the physics simulation are two different pieces of tech.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol, same. People apparently hated that minigame but it gave me great burnout vibes and I really enjoyed it. Oh and the game with the murder-orb was good too.

Who hated the insurance fraud game?? It was insanely fun using your controller as a malevolent god, stunting your weird rear end looking gangster off of cars and dragging him across the pavement in hopes you'd hot a seam just right and get a boost of air

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Insurance Fraud is a really, really bad minigame until you realize that you can control your momentum in the air and you keep getting faster as long as you go in the same direction. A successful Insurance Fraud run for me ends with The Boss cartwheeling through the air at 300 RPM and circling the city twice for a damage total worth two million dollars or something like that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Please post video of how to Insurance Fraud. I want to see this.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Stare-Out posted:

It still is lame how much weaker the characters are compared to GTA4 for instance. It was far from great but at least Niko could fly through a windscreen, ragdoll off of several cars and fall into a swingset and fly into space and still live but in GTA5 you slide down a steep hill for two seconds and you're dead.

Still, Euphoria rules and results in some great ragdoll stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSt1ptsOjL0

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arrath posted:

My god yes. Red Faction building destruction was some of the most satisfying poo poo.

It's a drat shame that we never got a Mercenaries sequel with all the artillery and airstrikes and vehicles from the original but with Red Faction: Guerrilla building destruction physics.

It would probably produce a lot of great content for this thread, too.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

ToxicFrog posted:

It's a drat shame that we never got a Mercenaries sequel with all the artillery and airstrikes and vehicles from the original but with Red Faction: Guerrilla building destruction physics.

It would probably produce a lot of great content for this thread, too.

drat. I was just thinking the other day about how good the first Mercenaries was. I need this Guerrcenaries game in my life.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sadly, Red Faction: Armageddon pretty much killed the series by moving away from the exact things that people loved about Guerilla, namely the running around and smashing down buildings, so I guess we won't be seeing something like that again anytime soon.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stop it you guys are making me sad.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

marshmallow creep posted:

Please post video of how to Insurance Fraud. I want to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ZUB5loD3c

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Thanks for that. I don't have my computer set up for making videos myself, but that's basically exactly how it goes. Works in every game since Saints Row 2 at the latest.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Your Computer posted:

I fully expected this to be Ascension of the Jackdaw and I was not disappointed :allears:

easily one of my favorite glitch videos, up there with "the gods know what you've done"

My favourite has always been this Skyrim one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93W6mB0ZqCM

As a bonus that's the same NPC that would randomly clone themselves and you'd end up with a group of them standing outside Whiterun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7xMViT9ivw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Top Skyrim glitch video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

Top glitch video of all time is a tie between The Flatman and the time Cena's title decided it rightfully belonged to the other guy:

https://giant.gfycat.com/QuarterlySkinnyAlaskanmalamute.mp4

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiH3A3nSPK4

this will always and forever be my favourite skyrim video

it's just so perfect

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Top Skyrim glitch video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

Top glitch video of all time is a tie between The Flatman and the time Cena's title decided it rightfully belonged to the other guy:

https://giant.gfycat.com/QuarterlySkinnyAlaskanmalamute.mp4

John Cena's face when the belt floats away from him gets me every loving time. Swap around some of the wrestlers and this scene would fit right in some of the Japanese wrestling promotions I've seen.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dreamin of semen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiH3A3nSPK4

this will always and forever be my favourite skyrim video

it's just so perfect
Man, you know poo poo is dire when Skyrim calls you rough around the edges.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Stare-Out posted:

The Euphoria physics engine is fantastic and really the only thing I like about Rockstar's games. Especially when it bugs out and does something unexpected.

There was this football game called Backbreaker that used the Euphoria engine. It's pretty barebones and has no official license but dudes ragdoll so much in tackles and everyone just eats poo poo when they get hit. In a just world Backbreaker would have been the new NFL Blitz but they only released the first game and a mini game collection.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Some more Far Cry 5 weirdness.

https://i.imgur.com/szEopy2.mp4

Here I ram a tree so hard I get stuck in the car roof
https://i.imgur.com/qJ2gVrj.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/nkn27yZ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No one thought Meet Joe Black could be adapted into a videogame but they were wrong.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Apr 17, 2020