Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
The idea of Trump backing down the second he experiences any sort of pushback and time to re-read all my old comics due to social distancing staying at home brought me this ol' gem from Ultimate X-Men. (Vol 1, Issue 6)

During Bush's time there was a LOT of annoying passive aggressive 'We don't like you' directed at the Bush presidency (man, were we naive on that front) in a lot of my fiction, which is fine in theory, but eventually it just seemed like wasted energy throwing temper tantrums and shade that could better be directed elsewhere if you felt so strongly. In any case, I started to bemusedly wonder what would happen if Trump encountered a supervillain. Would he be so deluded that he could handle such a situation that he'd be killed in seconds, never even realizing what happened? Would he immediately betray everyone and turn into a toady? Something else?

(Provided, of course, he hadn't been long killed by the fact that 80 percent of all the messes in the Marvel Comic universe happen in New York. And let's disregard the fact that a world with superhumans would result in a world so different (and by extent a Trump so different) that this question is somewhat irrelevant, it's just fun to theorize.)

By extension, there's a perfect comic that would demonstrate what would happen if Trump himself got superpowers. It's called Final Crisis: Run, and it's about a small time wannabe villain with absolutely zero redeeming qualities who managed to be around for something big and gets targeted for it, but he's certain he's an absolute special genius and he WILL make sure everyone pays and no one will ever be able to push him around again...and well, uh...the ending speaks for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

It's not a stretch because people need that money to live

look, as Tim Kaine can assure us, expecting banks not to gently caress over desperate people is just not sensible capitalism

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/jfahmy/status/1249673448680554499

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I thought oil was supposed to be going up because of that new deal.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

LorneReams posted:

It was mentioned many times that this wouldn't happen. The banks I've talked to are saying they are absolutely not going to do this (spirit of the law vs letter), but that is a small sample.

Also, in case anyone didn't know, there are already rules in place to prevent this with certain government payments like SS, but they didn't clarify the extent of the protection this time around, probably because they rushed it.
From the story(hell, from the tweets), banks have already asked Treasury on it. At press, only JPMorgan Chase said "no, we won't".

It is an active choice of Trump's Treasury Department to permit this, as the CARES act gives them the ability to forbid it. Something pointed out to them by multiple senators and a majority of the nation's attorneys general.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I thought oil was supposed to be going up because of that new deal.

It wasn't enough of a cut and nobody is using oil.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

That's a stretch. They are putting it toward debts that they are owed, no?

The purpose of stimulus funds isn't to bail out banks' unsecured and uncollectable debt, it's so people can buy food and pay rent during an emergency

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pure evil.

Peever
Nov 14, 2004

This shit's chess, it ain't checkers! Shit. They build jails 'cause of me.

Catalyst-proof posted:

The USSR and EU both split in our lifetimes. Why does this seem so far-fetched?

Neither of those examples are countries. They're political unions of multiple countries. The U.S. splitting apart would be a civil war. England leaving the EU doesn't trigger an armed conflict in the way the New California Republic or whatever it would be called would be if the West coast split from the country.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

to put it another way, just because I have credit card debt doesn't mean that CapitalOne gets to decide that they are my number one financial priority and take the birthday money from my grandma out of my mailbox to pay down my balance

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

VitalSigns posted:

to put it another way, just because I have credit card debt doesn't mean that CapitalOne gets to decide that they are my number one financial priority and take the birthday money from my grandma out of my mailbox to pay down my balance

Do you understand the world you live in nowadays

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Paracaidas posted:

From the story(hell, from the tweets), banks have already asked Treasury on it. At press, only JPMorgan Chase said "no, we won't".

It is an active choice of Trump's Treasury Department to permit this, as the CARES act gives them the ability to forbid it. Something pointed out to them by multiple senators and a majority of the nation's attorneys general.

I'm agreeing, just adding details. The hang-up seems to be what happens when the money is dumped into an account that is negative (due to overdrafts or some other issue). This should be an easy fix in a competent admin, but LOL.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Peever posted:

Neither of those examples are countries. They're political unions of multiple countries. The U.S. splitting apart would be a civil war. England leaving the EU doesn't trigger an armed conflict in the way the New California Republic or whatever it would be called would be if the West coast split from the country.

The USSR wasn't a "political union of multiple countries" in the sense of the European Union. It is in the sense of the United Kingdom. The Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union was an actual legislative government. The power vacuums associated with the fall of the USSR spawned civil wars in many of its member states.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Insurrectum posted:

Why should the banks get preferential treatment over other debts that their customers may owe? Seems odd, no?

Oh right. Because :capitalism:

also the whole debt system is effed up and even if youve paid a debt, the virtual paperwork for it existing can still circulate in the 2ndary debt collection machine for years/forever

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
A couple of pages ago, some of the goons posted about SD being the new rona hotspot.
-------------------

South Dakota’s governor resisted ordering people to stay home. Now it has one of the nation’s largest coronavirus hot spots.: Gov. Kristi L. Noem has resisted issuing stay-at-home orders and said individuals should decide for themselves.
Witte, Griff
The Washington Post

As governors across the country fell into line in recent weeks, South Dakota's top elected leader stood firm: There would be no statewide order to stay home.

Such edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi L. Noem said disparagingly, reflected a "herd mentality." It was up to individuals — not government — to decide whether "to exercise their right to work, to worship and to play. Or to even stay at home."

And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, "South Dakota is not New York City."

But now South Dakota is home to one of the largest single coronavirus clusters anywhere in the United States, with more than 300 workers at a giant ­pork-processing plant falling ill. With the case numbers continuing to spike, the company was forced to announce the indefinite closure of the facility Sunday, threatening the U.S. food supply.

Increasingly exasperated local leaders, public health experts and front-line medical workers begged Noem to intervene Monday with a more aggressive state response.

"A shelter-in-place order is needed now. It is needed today," said Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken, whose city is at the center of South Dakota's outbreak and who has had to improvise with voluntary recommendations in the absence of statewide action.

But the governor continued to resist. Instead, she used a media briefing Monday to announce trials of a drug that President Trump has repeatedly touted as a potential breakthrough in the fight against the coronavirus, despite a lack of scientific evidence.

"It's an exciting day," she boasted, repeatedly citing her conversations with presidential son-in-law Jared Kushner.

The piecemeal approach to combating the coronavirus in South Dakota offers a throwback to America's not-so-distant past, the period around a month ago when governors were still leery of using their powers to shut down restaurants and bars or to order people, for the greater good, to stay at home.

It also may offer a glimpse of the country's near-term future, as pressure builds — not least from the president — to reopen after a weeks-long shutdown. Trump has been eager to get the economy on its feet again by the beginning of May after record rises in unemployment claims and dramatic falls in the stock market.

Yet as South Dakota's experience shows, no part of the country is immune to being ravaged by the virus. And rescinding orders that people stay at home — or declining to issue them, as in the case of South Dakota and four other states — offers plenty of peril.

Reopening the country by May is "not even remotely achievable," said TenHaken, who, like Trump and Noem, is a Republican. "We're in the early innings of this thing in Sioux Falls."

Already, the experience has been harrowing: As of early April, the city had relatively few cases. But over the course of last week, the numbers surged as the virus ripped through the city's Smithfield Foods production plant, a colossus that employs 3,700 people — many of them immigrants — and churns out 18 million servings of pork product per day.

On Monday alone, 57 more workers were confirmed to have positive diagnoses, bringing the total well above 300 — and making it one of the country's largest clusters. Other major clusters include Cook County Jail in Chicago and the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier.

The Smithfield cases amount to more than a third of the state's overall total, which stood at 868 on Monday, including six deaths, in a state of nearly 900,000 people.

Over the weekend, Smithfield bowed to growing pressure and said it would shutter the facility indefinitely in a bid to contain the spread — though Smithfield leaders cautioned that the action could severely disrupt the nation's food supplies. The factory, like other food production facilities, had earlier been deemed essential by the federal government.

The shutdown of the Sioux Falls plant, coupled with other closures, "is pushing our country perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply," Kenneth Sullivan, Smithfield president and chief executive, said in a statement. "It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running."

Before the closure, workers had complained that they were not given sufficient access to protective gear, such as masks. The company said Thursday that it had taken steps to reduce the spread, including "adding extra hand sanitizing stations, boosting personal protective equipment, continuing to stress the importance of personal hygiene." But workers said they were required to work so closely together that it was impossible to stay healthy.

"There is no social distance," said Lily, a 30-year-old Mexican immigrant who had worked at the plant for nearly 13 years but quit because she feared bringing the coronavirus home to her husband and young daughter.

Lily, who spoke on the condition that her last name not be published for fear of retribution, said it is not only at work where she feared the virus. "Many people are sick. Not only in the plant — in the whole city," she said.

Sioux Falls, home to nearly 200,000 people, is the state's largest city. TenHaken, the mayor, said in an interview that he has done everything within his power to enforce social distancing, including using a "no lingering" ordinance to confine restaurants to takeout and delivery service and strongly recommending that all nonessential businesses close.

He has little power of enforcement, however, and no ability to control what happens in nearby jurisdictions. Restaurants within Sioux Falls may have shut down for in-person dining, but the rules don't apply outside city limits.

Without a more assertive response from state government — including stay-at-home orders in at least the surrounding counties and a declaration of a statewide public health emergency — TenHaken said he fears the spread will continue.

"The virus doesn't know boundaries. The virus doesn't know city limits," he said. "We're responding the best we can at the local level but quite honestly with a limited tool set."

TenHaken's plea for state action has also been made by public health professionals.

The South Dakota State Medical Association wrote Noem a letter April 3 warning the governor that the state "may soon face the challenges and hardships currently being seen in New York and other large cities across the country if a shelter in place order is not issued immediately."

Noem is one of five governors representing relatively rural states — North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska and Arkansas are the others — still resisting such calls. All are Republicans, and all have used similar justifications for going against the national grain.

In Arkansas, Gov. Asa Hutchinson has boasted of his state's "very targeted response" and argued that other states have so many exemptions to their stay-at-home orders that they "override the rule."

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds has said that keeping people at home takes a toll on their mental health and that "suicides and domestic abuse" would rise.

Noem has perhaps gone even further than others, however, citing the principle of individual liberty and the limitations of government to dictate people's behavior — even when public health may depend on it.

Citing scientific modeling, the governor acknowledged this month that up to 70 percent of residents in her state may ultimately fall ill with covid-19. But, she suggested, it wasn't up to government to tell them how to behave.

"The people themselves are primarily responsible for their safety," she said. "They are the ones that are entrusted with expansive freedoms."

Noem on Monday continued to defend her approach, saying the state had high levels of voluntary participation in social distancing strategies — "much greater than some of those states that issued shelter-in-place orders."

She also said that spikes in case numbers, such as the one at Smithfield, had been "expected" and that the state's numbers overall were trending in the right direction.

Noem, who said she was closely coordinating with the White House, focused her remarks on a trial of hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malarial drug that President Trump has frequently touted as a possible remedy for the coronavirus, though its effectiveness has not been proved. Scientists in Brazil stopped a study of a similar drug in coronavirus patients after some developed irregular heart rates.

She batted away questions about a statewide stay-at-home order — or even countywide ones. But public health experts say such an order is what's needed, even in a rural state such as South Dakota.

"In rural areas, there's less access to health care," said DenYelle Kenyon, director of the public health program at the University of South Dakota. "And all it takes is one case to spread to a small community."

Front-line medical workers, too, have been outspoken in calling for the state to step up.

Amy Taylor, a Sioux Falls-based nurse who is married to a nurse practitioner, sat down one evening and spent 10 minutes tapping out a petition on Change.org demanding that Noem order people to stay home.

"I thought some friends might sign it," Taylor said. "But it just kind of took off."

The petition was closing in on 30,000 signatures as of Monday night. Many of the signers identify themselves as health-care workers.

"I just don't understand why we aren't doing everything we can to save people's lives," Taylor said.

More than 160 county and city leaders in South Dakota have also petitioned Noem, urging her to declare a statewide public health emergency.

Rapid City Mayor Steve Allender was among those who signed. As leader of the state's second-largest city, he has instituted aggressive measures to keep people apart. But as is true in Sioux Falls, citywide efforts can only do so much when the state's response is such a patchwork.

Now, economic pain from the shutdown is growing — and so is frustration that the city's businesses have been closed while others nearby remain open. Without the state backing him up, Allender said, it will be tough to hold the line.

"There's no political winners in this pandemic," said Allender (R), whose city has seen relatively few cases. "You have to decide on which side of the argument you're going to lose — the one that was too cautious or the one that was too reckless."

bornbytheriver fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 14, 2020

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

“Democrats capitalized on the chaos,” said Matt Batzel, the Wisconsin-based executive director of American Majority, a conservative grass-roots training organization. “Democrats and Governor Evers flip-flopping from there is no reason to postpone the election to fear-mongering that people shouldn’t vote in person, gave them an advantage that carried the day. All the while, the left organized a historic number of absentee ballot requests.”

Wisconsin Republicans trying to explain why they lost are hilarious

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Do you understand the world you live in nowadays

well I was speaking normatively

obviously in practice banks are allowed to do whatever, they can steal your house if they lose too much money on mortgages, regardless of whether they owned your mortgage or even whether you owe money on the house at all

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 14, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1250067499389014017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The whole country's going to starve to death in the name of South Dakota liberty, lol :911:

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

Wisconsin Republicans trying to explain why they lost are hilarious

They will probably try to challenge the entire election in court.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

I guess "simple" is one way to phrase the idea of trying to expand Medicaid under a Republican Senate and President, though not in the way that Sirota thinks.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Funny how when a for-profit company benefits from something there isn't a question of "how are you gonna pay for it".

I guess that's the trick to getting support for anything beneficial from Democrats. Just make sure some business somewhere is the prime beneficiary first.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

The whole country's going to starve to death in the name of South Dakota liberty, lol :911:

"But personal freedom!", I whisper as my neighbor's decision to set his house on fire burns down the entire neighborhood.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The COBRA subsidies actually make sense because red States refuses more money to expand Medicaid.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xombie posted:

I guess "simple" is one way to phrase the idea of trying to expand Medicaid under a Republican Senate and President, though not in the way that Sirota thinks.

did you learn anything from when Nancy Pelosi's opening offer for the bailout bill was to the right of Mitt Romney?

no?

interesting

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

haveblue posted:

Trump's gotten Pestilence, War, and Death going, so he's been hard at work starting Famine.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The Angry Bum posted:

They will probably try to challenge the entire election in court.

I want to see the arguments for "The election we sued in court to ensure that it will go ahead is legally invalid". I mean obviously they are going to try but objectively its gonna be some really strange logic.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Xombie posted:

It's certainly riskier to take a shot at this than to tear up a speech or try to impeach a grifting rapist on the basis of failing to return old blockbuster videos, but maybe the DNC could put some effort in at some point.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Glumslinger posted:

The COBRA subsidies actually make sense because red States refuses more money to expand Medicaid.

Red states did not refuse the medicaid expansion money. They took the money then refused to expand medicaid.

Kind of off topic, but it was funny to watch where that money went. I was working in administering block grants at the time in Texas and we had to work with a bunch of fly by night consulting firms getting massive amounts of money from the state to "improve health measures". The end result of the massive injection of money that was supposed to go to medicaid expansion was one single study that said asthma rates were higher along major traffic corridors. It was a grifter gold rush. They took it all.

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 14, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love how, faced with the complete collapse of the private employer-based insurance system in the face of a pandemic and mass unemployment, the Democrats' solution is basically Trumpism.

Spend gargantuan amounts of public money to give everyone temporary universal healthcare (funnelled through private business that will take a hefty profit right off the top of course), but this is only allowed during a medical crisis that insurance companies don't want to pay for.

The instant it's over we don't need UHC anymore and we can all go back to paying premiums for insurance companies to treat as free profit, except of course for the part they divert to lawyers fees to win the court cases when they deny us care.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

VitalSigns posted:

I love how, faced with the complete collapse of the private employer-based insurance system in the face of a pandemic and mass unemployment, the Democrats' solution is basically Trumpism.

Spend gargantuan amounts of public money to give everyone temporary universal healthcare (funnelled through private business that will take a hefty profit right off the top of course), but this is only allowed during a medical crisis that insurance companies don't want to pay for.

The instant it's over we don't need UHC anymore and we can all go back to paying premiums for insurance companies to treat as free profit, except of course for the part they divert to lawyers fees to win the court cases when they deny us care.

Same as it ever was. Socialism for capital, rugged individualism for labor.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Xombie posted:

The USSR wasn't a "political union of multiple countries" in the sense of the European Union. It is in the sense of the United Kingdom. The Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union was an actual legislative government. The power vacuums associated with the fall of the USSR spawned civil wars in many of its member states.

Specifically a UK where everywhere outside of England was still a member at gunpoint. It was a very different animal from the EU or US either one, more a post-monarchy continuation of the Russian Empire.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

VH4Ever posted:

Exactly my point, thanks for posting this. The OP I was referring to acted like 100% of the international trade in this country comes through two ports and two ports only, LA and NYC. This map puts to rest that ludicrous notion, eh?

3 of the largest terminals are in NJ. NYC has a small terminal in Redhook and a medium sized terminal in Staten Island.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cornwind Evil posted:

The idea of Trump backing down the second he experiences any sort of pushback and time to re-read all my old comics due to social distancing staying at home brought me this ol' gem from Ultimate X-Men. (Vol 1, Issue 6)

During Bush's time there was a LOT of annoying passive aggressive 'We don't like you' directed at the Bush presidency (man, were we naive on that front) in a lot of my fiction, which is fine in theory, but eventually it just seemed like wasted energy throwing temper tantrums and shade that could better be directed elsewhere if you felt so strongly. In any case, I started to bemusedly wonder what would happen if Trump encountered a supervillain. Would he be so deluded that he could handle such a situation that he'd be killed in seconds, never even realizing what happened? Would he immediately betray everyone and turn into a toady? Something else?

(Provided, of course, he hadn't been long killed by the fact that 80 percent of all the messes in the Marvel Comic universe happen in New York. And let's disregard the fact that a world with superhumans would result in a world so different (and by extent a Trump so different) that this question is somewhat irrelevant, it's just fun to theorize.)

By extension, there's a perfect comic that would demonstrate what would happen if Trump himself got superpowers. It's called Final Crisis: Run, and it's about a small time wannabe villain with absolutely zero redeeming qualities who managed to be around for something big and gets targeted for it, but he's certain he's an absolute special genius and he WILL make sure everyone pays and no one will ever be able to push him around again...and well, uh...the ending speaks for itself.

this good post reminds me of another subject. it brings up the old thing of seeing various liberals/ect compare trump to volidmort/palpatine/etc when if he were a bad guy, he would be some craven coward who does horrible poo poo but the second poo poo went wrong, he would beg for his life and be killed by a bigger bad guy or the hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olGim9aRxGY

basically this. this would be trump outside maybe the admission part.
"I'm not questioning your honor, donald. I'm denying its existence."

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Obama's endorsement speech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-s3ANu4eMs

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

FallenGod posted:

It's certainly riskier to take a shot at this than to tear up a speech or try to impeach a grifting rapist on the basis of failing to return old blockbuster videos, but maybe the DNC could put some effort in at some point.

Fun fact: "Effort" isn't the missing thing from getting Trump and and McConnell on board with a full slate of leftist policy goals. If you had Speaker of the House Ocasio-Cortez, they could both still just completely ignore her. It isn't "risky", it's entirely pointless.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xombie posted:

Fun fact: "Effort" isn't the missing thing from getting Trump and and McConnell on board with a full slate of leftist policy goals. If you had Speaker of the House Ocasio-Cortez, they could both still just completely ignore her. It isn't "risky", it's entirely pointless.

if we take the senate/the presidency, than we can probably push some progressive poo poo. northam is to the right of biden and they pushed VA into doing some amazing good stuff. we can probably do the same with biden.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Catalyst-proof posted:

The USSR and EU both split in our lifetimes. Why does this seem so far-fetched?

The fear that these ad hoc committees will lead to a full-blown split of the US is both overblown and misses the most interesting part of this development, IMO. As the joke says: if only these states could somehow pool their resources into some sort of continent-spanning nation, imagine what they could accomplish!

The states wouldn't be doing this if the federal government were capable of doing its job. Instead they've been left to improvise this solution because federalism is no longer working, at least in this present crisis. It's a big--if so far mostly symbolic--blow to one of the governing philosophies behind the Constitution delivered by actors working within the system.

If the crisis is ended miraculously tomorrow then these agreements may just blow away, but stuff like this may grow more and more prominent if we continue on our present course of polarizing presidents and deadlocked Congresses.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xombie posted:

and giving money to every american is just impossible, we need to means-test it out of the hands of about half of them. it isn't "risky" to try to do better, it's entirely pointless

oh huh wonder what the Republican candidate for 2012 is doing standing up to talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if we take the senate/the presidency, than we can probably push some progressive poo poo. northam is to the right of biden and they pushed VA into doing some amazing good stuff. we can probably do the same with biden.

I agree. I'm specifically addressing the idea that if the Democrats had the inclination, they could successfully push for Medicare expansion in the current power structure.