Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

V. Illych L. posted:

this was always going to happen and imo is the only reasonable thing to do so long as you're running in the democratic party primary. part of the premise of a contest like that is that you get behind the winner if you lose, and sanders never signalled any opposition to this in principle

My point of contention is not that it was untelegraphed. It's that you don't get to put your political support behind a probable rapist who is directly response for every lethal and immiserating policy of the US empire and still get to be "too good for us".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They look like fools now having this hypocrisy exposed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mr. Lobe posted:

My point of contention is not that it was untelegraphed. It's that you don't get to put your political support behind a probable rapist who is directly response for every lethal and immiserating policy of the US empire and still get to be "too good for us".

i don't understand this mentality tbh. biden's done much worse than personally committing sexual assault, the guy's ruined thousands of lives and probably caused a number of suicides through his politics, as has almost every big-time machine democrat

biden is if anything less personally objectionable than hillary - there's this focus on the viscerality of biden's actions that i legit have difficulty dealing with

sanders has been an active politician in congress for a long, long while. he's had to learn to look in the eyes of and work with these people - everyone knew this going in

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

everybody needs to process their poo poo, chapos included

BUT, what I do think is rather peculiar to Americans is their adherence to electoralism and the avoidance of what John Reed called "the study of the barricade". Now, before anyone goes blablabla revolutionary larping etc, this is usually interpreted more broadly as the struggles to make things better, not simply the end tail of an uprising with guillotines and hangings.

Why not use the infrastructure built by the Sanders campaign to organize unions and leagues? For association recruitment? So it is just like that, pack it in, it is over?

Of course, poo poo is way more of a goddamn mess when there is an ongoing plague, but the social mobilization is happening and the revolutionary spirit is being stoked by this moment. To falter now and retreat into timidity is a bad idea, imho

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Bernie's infrastructure will out last him, its called OurRevolution.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

Bernie's infrastructure will out last him, its called OurRevolution.

to be brutally honest here, what have they done since 2016 besides endorse a few candidates?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Why not use the infrastructure built by the Sanders campaign to organize unions and leagues? For association recruitment? So it is just like that, pack it in, it is over?
Well, our last example of an unexpected popular coalition that crossed traditional boundaries was Obama's campaign.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't understand this mentality tbh. biden's done much worse than personally committing sexual assault, the guy's ruined thousands of lives and probably caused a number of suicides through his politics, as has almost every big-time machine democrat

biden is if anything less personally objectionable than hillary - there's this focus on the viscerality of biden's actions that i legit have difficulty dealing with

sanders has been an active politician in congress for a long, long while. he's had to learn to look in the eyes of and work with these people - everyone knew this going in

what do you think "directly response for every lethal and immiserating policy of the US empire" means if not the war, mass encarceration, and the rendering permanent of student debt? I am well aware that he has done much worse than rape

he is responsible for hundreds of thousands dead in Iraq, and arguable much more in Syria

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mr. Lobe posted:

what do you think "directly response for every lethal and immiserating policy of the US empire" means if not the war, mass encarceration, and the rendering permanent of student debt? I am well aware that he has done much worse than rape

he is responsible for hundreds of thousands dead in Iraq, and arguable much more in Syria

but that isn't just on biden personally, it's on the entire democratic party establishment with which sanders has openly worked for years under the banner of harm mitigation

sanders sticking to the rules of the contest is maybe the least surprising thing about the entire primary. the dude does not subscribe to a theory of politics where bad people are to be shunned

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

surprised there’s not more indignation of Will walking back “Bernie would have won.”

He’s right but it’s a bitter pill.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nah there's a road to a majority for a sanders campaign if the democratic party doesn't outright revolt during the election

it's not a given, but poorer rust belt whites are a winnable demographic for the american left and capable of delivering the presidency when added to the present democratic voter coalition

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

He’s right but it’s a bitter pill.

just listened to the episode, it is grief processing and good stuff to do so

("Body of an American" was a great pick as well)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
As always I wish there was more Felix. Just like Trump somehow winning in 2016, Felix seemed to intuit pretty early on in this election that a lot of voters liked Joe Biden on an emotional level and as a result he had a good chance of winning.

Matt was depressed but seems to have a good grasp on what happened and how big of a challenge things are moving forward. Amber was still processing and as a result tried out a bunch of different lines of argument that contradicted themselves. Will's just repeating the same stuff he's said for months.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

amber's position about how most people are instinctively distrustful of the mainstream media was dumb as hell imo, glad matt pushed back

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

amber's position about how most people are instinctively distrustful of the mainstream media was dumb as hell imo, glad matt pushed back

this used to be truer than it is lol trumo caused democratic-inclined voters to rally around corporate MSM in a huge way cos it's dumb as poo poo

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you remember when will said he didn’t want the show to be the millennial daily show, anyway hope our candidate of choice fairs better in 4 years

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i mostly miss reading series..es...... serieses....... reading series plural

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably wasn’t a great idea to convert the DSA into a democrat party canvassing apparatus

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

honestly there is a great relief that comes with losing all hope, i recommend it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Honest Thief posted:

that was a bit
amber gets way too much flack

buuuut it would rule if she moved to europe and got radicalised after seeing just how much racist the old country is

To be fair, a lot of the racist jokes she says on the podcast are pretty sus.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

RIP Bernie, he never jokerfied

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Forceholy posted:

deadass

THS
Sep 15, 2017

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Probably wasn’t a great idea to convert the DSA into a democrat party canvassing apparatus

i think it made sense to use the DSA to work for the sanders campaign, and i think it makes sense for them to explicitly not endorse biden as they have done

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah the weird griping about the american left following sanders' concession seems odd to me. it is stronger than it has been at any time since eugene debbs' runs, possibly ever, and is well positioned to capitalise on the dog's dinner being made of everything by the bourgeois governments of the world

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

He also pushed back against Will's "For some reason... youngsters didn't show up for Bernie!" at the end as well.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

T-man posted:

RIP Bernie, he never jokerfied

We need a snappy young millenial in 2024 with the edge of vermin supreme

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
drat nick has a nuclear bad take

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Forceholy posted:

They're low key pretty gross y'all

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow seems pretty secure

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Do you remember when will said he didn’t want the show to be the millennial daily show, anyway hope our candidate of choice fairs better in 4 years

people say this as if it wouldnt also be embarassing to listen to the doughy podcast idiots advocate for armed struggle

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lancemantis posted:

drat nick has a nuclear bad take

drat really? gently caress im shook. that's hella sus ya'll

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
How does anyone, Will included, think Chapo was going to be anything more than the Daily Show but for leftists?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MizPiz posted:

How does anyone, Will included, think Chapo was going to be anything more than the Daily Show but for leftists?

in the filmed election 2016 special matt says 'oh so were becoming the daily show for leftists now' directly into the camera

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

im happy that felix has found his new calling: watching godawful nbc family dramas

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Cnidaria posted:

im happy that felix has found his new calling: watching godawful nbc family dramas

same, but disappointed we still haven't gotten any knausgard content

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MizPiz posted:

i'm not even sure why that comparison is considered bad. tds isues (mostly bush to early obama era was the only time i watched it) was that yeah it was general daily mockery of media pundits and like lmao john ashcroft wants to cover up boobs on a statue, and this talking head said a dumb thing, insert smirking funny face. the thing is it never actually went anything deeper of actual people and societal issues, conveniently ignored all the idiot libs, and the only time it tried to do any advocation was ~rally to restore sanity~ garbage because it wanted to do ~we're a both-sides indenpedent centrism comedy show~

chapo generally does the same thing without any stupid pretense of trying to be ~independent both-sideism~, and more inclusive of the mocking the DC political elite westwing libs and goppers; lol david frum and matty ygglesia wrote a dumb thing; lol chris coons said seggregation is good; cnn is cutting off bernie. but also go out and canvass, phonebank, go primary pelosi, etc.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Lmfao the chapo 180 electoral flip, amazing and with no shame

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

same, but disappointed we still haven't gotten any knausgard content

there's an E1 episode where felix plays an amazing knausgard-like character and surprisingly I think it's way before he got obsessed with the books

also jesus christ council of dads sounds like something that felix willed into existence

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Speaking of electoralism, hows Trillbillies handling this? I stopped listening right about the time Tarrence got busted for drugs because lmao that he went from talking about executing rich people to immediately cracking the moment a cop pulled him over for like a busted taillight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

felix and sis make for a good listen, hope they make fun of more stuff together