Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

!Klams posted:

Early pre-grading stills like this always look kinda goofball. They'll do a bunch of stuff to it in post that knowing Villeneuve will be very subtle, but will make it all just gel a lot better.

/Edit: Also, that article doesn't mention it so I imagine I'm wrong, but I'd always thought that black was better for keeping cool in the shade?

None of the pictures are stills from footage, they are on-set publicity photographs. You can't draw any conclusions over what the colours are in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I am at uncontrollable levels of hype that I haven't had since I was a kid waiting for the Fellowship of the Ring to release

oh my god it's happening

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

tanglewood1420 posted:

None of the pictures are stills from footage, they are on-set publicity photographs. You can't draw any conclusions over what the colours are in them.

Sure, sorry, stills was the wrong word, but that was my point: This looks nothing like the finished film. Well I mean it looks like it, but you know.

For me, its the casting of David Dastmalchian as Piter de Vries that really blew me away. I mean, not that the rest of it isn't great, but that was just EXACTLY how I saw him, despite Brad Dourif being so striking. (I fell in love with the film before reading the book, fight me). Although I think, yeah, of all these shots it's the one of Leto fills me with a sense of giddy hype.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like the stillsuit masks...and head coverings. Only part about the Lynch stillsuits that was off was how exposed they left people.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like the stillsuit masks...and head coverings. Only part about the Lynch stillsuits that was off was how exposed they left people.

I figured with the movie, mostly exposed faces was just going to be a thing at least for key scenes. Having actors with their faces completely covered and unable to emote takes audiences out of the scene. Think the first Sam Raimi Spiderman.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Good soup! posted:

I am at uncontrollable levels of hype that I haven't had since I was a kid waiting for the Fellowship of the Ring to release

oh my god it's happening

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Hmmm, you'd think that a guy who's been thinking about this movie in the back of his mind for so long would wind up somewhere other than 99% lynch. It's like they made the exact same stillsuits by accident, realized, and scrambled to add some... pads and straps? Even the floating glowglobes in the Atreides family shot have the same shape as Lynch's, but worse. "Brutalist"ish is a different style than what lynch went with, but is it better? Lynch went with an ornate, filigreed renaissance palace, which did the work of letting the audience know what kind of society this was. Still really looking forward to this movie more than anything in the last few years, but I hope they dont suffer from worrying about winding up too lynch-adjacent and changing things that were just right.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

I dont know posted:

I figured with the movie, mostly exposed faces was just going to be a thing at least for key scenes. Having actors with their faces completely covered and unable to emote takes audiences out of the scene. Think the first Sam Raimi Spiderman.

Yeah I know, same reason scuba divers, space suits, etc in movies all have full-face open helmets with lights in them shining on the actors faces.

Still cool to see.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DebonaireD posted:

Hmmm, you'd think that a guy who's been thinking about this movie in the back of his mind for so long would wind up somewhere other than 99% lynch. It's like they made the exact same stillsuits by accident, realized, and scrambled to add some... pads and straps? Even the floating glowglobes in the Atreides family shot have the same shape as Lynch's, but worse. "Brutalist"ish is a different style than what lynch went with, but is it better? Lynch went with an ornate, filigreed renaissance palace, which did the work of letting the audience know what kind of society this was. Still really looking forward to this movie more than anything in the last few years, but I hope they dont suffer from worrying about winding up too lynch-adjacent and changing things that were just right.

The Lynch stillsuits were perfect, veering too far away from them would be catastrophic to me.

Agree with the shots not looking like what they will look like in a finished, colored film. The first shots of Darth Maul before Episode I looked like he was wearing fabric made from some kind of kid's project bought at Michael's.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

kiimo posted:

The Lynch stillsuits were perfect, veering too far away from them would be catastrophic to me.

Agree with the shots not looking like what they will look like in a finished, colored film. The first shots of Darth Maul before Episode I looked like he was wearing fabric made from some kind of kid's project bought at Michael's.

There was someone's concept art posted earlier in the thread where the stillsuits had a "your organs, but on the outside" kinda look to them that would've been cool to see. Villeneuve's nose plugs are 100% lynch! Looks like the shot of Liet Kynes has the blue within blue eyes, but it's a pretty subtle effect. Get weird with it, Villaneuve!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Since it’s a movie they are never going to cover their faces in a “”realistic”” way.

Except for a few scenes I guess to establish the idea

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

This was an interesting read, thanks for that!

I always kinda assumed the Fremen would wear dark colors because they did most of their running about the open desert at night, and it's better camouflage. I think the only color Herbert specifies is them having brown cloaks so they can drop down and look like a lump of sand/rock.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

me endlessly waiting for the trailer to drop

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

"Black robes absorbes 2.5 times the radiation of white robes"

That's radiation that's not hitting your skin and burning it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

DebonaireD posted:

Yeah, they look like something from Stargate TV series.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

Like 10 more new dune screenshots. A few bits of tech and the new stillsuits.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Inverted Icon posted:

"Black robes absorbes 2.5 times the radiation of white robes"

That's radiation that's not hitting your skin and burning it.

White robes reflect it, rather than absorb it.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Some of those shots show a mask that covers the nose and mouth, but it is loose and hanging around the neck. For speaking scenes they will probably go with the Lynch nose plugs but for wide shots or to hide the identity of the character they will probably wear it desert fashion with only the eyes exposed.

woop
Mar 25, 2006
wooooooooop
WATER DICIPLINE????????????

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

woop posted:

WATER DICIPLINE????????????

In my sietch? It's more likely than you think.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Posted already

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

How is it that no-one has commented on the thigh pads for processing waste?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

How is it that no-one has commented on the thigh pads for processing waste?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The new Paul looks pretty good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
someone post that Muad'dib, Muad'doob, Muad'dab image, I can't find it pls

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

If they don't have sting and yell guns its poo poo

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Could've done without the tacticool gloves and paintball masks, but we'll see.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
goddamn if they don't have feyd-rautha in a speedo i will be v mad

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

AFewBricksShy posted:

Nothing has been said yet. To be fair he doesn't do much in the first part of the book. However with the casting of Bautista as Rabban, it's possible they are merging the characters. Bautista would be a waste as just a mindless brute.

true that Bautista is too good to waste on a non entity character. that said, I'm again trying to picture this in my head and i just...

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I think this nudune should be cancelled by not having full on eyes of the 'bad. Get outta here with your blue irises.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Again, movies are colored like last thing on the to-do list

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
e: this^^^

These are set photos not stills from the actual movie

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

skasion posted:

e: this^^^

These are set photos not stills from the actual movie

Both Chani and Liet (much more pronounced and you can even imagine a bit blue in the whites there) have work done on their eyes in the published pics. Stilgar doesn't since this is a behind the scenes still.

Though such effect work is not typical for set photos, I agree that they may further enhance the effect for the movie.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Nice Halo suits.

Also,

Pham Nuwen posted:

White robes reflect it, rather than absorb it.

If you were gonna blindfold yourself with a single layer, and then look at the sun, would you use a white cloth or a black one?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Casting is pretty great IMO. Pleasontly surprised with Vladimir and Pieter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Still waiting for Jared Leto to get a part

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

euphronius posted:

Still waiting for Jared Leto to get a part

If he ends up cast as Feyd I'll be pissed.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah, pls no

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Inverted Icon posted:

If you were gonna blindfold yourself with a single layer, and then look at the sun, would you use a white cloth or a black one?

If they're the same material, I wouldn't want to look at the sun through either. Here's a super scientific experiment I just ran, where I draped cotton t-shirts of approximately the same thickness over my phone and took a picture:

Personally, I wouldn't care to look at the sun through either.

Of course, this doesn't have anything to do with the absorption, the process by which a material (cloth, in this case) takes up energy from the light hitting it. To quote Wikipedia, "The absorbance of an object quantifies how much of the incident light is absorbed by it (instead of being reflected or refracted)". If black cloth absorbs 2.5 times more light radiation than white cloth, that means the white cloth is reflecting or refracting more light (assuming both have the same density of weave).

Have you never worn a black t-shirt out in the sun? I generally have to switch to light-colored shirts by the time summer rolls around or I'll loving cook--solar radiation ain't no joke in New Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
The remaining light can be reflected or transmitted. It's how you get things like bragg diffraction. There'll be some differences because it's a fabric, rather than one piece. Still, i think adsorption would play a roll, because light would still be reflected through the pores of the weave, like a long tunnel covered in mirrors (like teg's ego core duude).

Have you ever gotten a sunburn through a white shirt, or at least had a softening of your farmers tan?