Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Of course Trump doesn't get the point of the whole thing.

Totally the response of a family that is innocent and not corrupt as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

New Harris poll about when Americans feel things should reopen
That’s a pretty definitive feeling against what Trump wants to do.
you can't ever call that, trump says every version of everything and people support what they think he wants right up until all possibilities collapse into his decision and they'll all coalesce around that.
in other words all those people believe what they believe because they believe trump believes the same, as soon as trump says what he actually believes they'll believe that too.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Fucker sure slept in today. Pissbaby is distraught that the media was mean to him :saddowns:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

what now?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I would love to play a game where we go through famous movies/works of literature and try and guess how Trumps deranged mind interprets them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I would love to play a game where we go through famous movies/works of literature and try and guess how Trumps deranged mind interprets them.

a Sonic Dreams Collection about trump

edit: tbh I feel like we’re living the real life version of Trump Dreams Collection

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 14, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

New Harris poll about when Americans feel things should reopen

That’s a pretty definitive feeling against what Trump wants to do.

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1250110307479011329

No way we even make it to the end of the year with the current social distancing protocols. I'd be surprised if it lasted until June 1.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

It's ok, just seems like a Freudian slip

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

he is probably like the online dumbasses/weird sociopaths who thinks the obvious monsters/assholes/antifathers/etc are actually cool and good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

No way we even make it to the end of the year with the current social distancing protocols. I'd be surprised if it lasted until June 1.

well the second wave is coming probably by summer so even if we open up somewhat, we will close back down again.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

And yet we never saw any of those bank bailouts go anywhere but the rich guy's pocket

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

VH4Ever posted:

Also, you're aware cities like say....Cleveland have ports too right? Just checking. The more you know.

The ports on the Great Lakes are not like the ports in Houston or the Coasts.

The lakes traffic is mostly self unloading bulk carriers. Occasionally when the prices get high enough to justify the pilotage and daylight movement only, handy sized vessels come in for grain or to discharge steel/project cargo.

syntaxrigger posted:

Wiki

I dunno it looks like the port of South Louisiana and the Port of Houston are about the same with the later focusing on imports while the former on domestic. I get it is fun to laugh at LA because they are small town idiots, I do I was born there, but swamp rats know the water. Both of those ports appear to do more business than NYC.

Texas does seem to have more ports but I think the point stands that if you don't have the south to handle imports and domestic transport of stuff like oil, things will get messy.

They do different business. Louisiana is going to be grain exports, bulk grain out the rear end coming from the Midwest down the Mississippi on barges trans loaded to ships in Louisiana. Houston has a robust container trade, the biggest project cargo break bulk trade and some assorted product chemical tankers and bulk. NY/NJ is bigger for containers with less in those other categories.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well the second wave is coming probably by summer so even if we open up somewhat, we will close back down again.

I don't think we can close everything down for a few months every time the Coronavirus is around, especially if it'll be for two years, or if we never get a vaccine.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Comedy option, whenever they start praising trump for stupid poo poo like this they get dressed up in Republican cheerleading outfits.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Yeah, but like a third of those boxes are just filled with Arks of the Covenant

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, but this would require Trump cracking down on Trump as well, so it ain't gonna happen

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao, the GOP forced this nonsense election and now he's crying about it

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mat Cauthon posted:

So did the Black Plague just kinda run out of people to infect? Asking for a friend :yikes:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

So did the Black Plague just kinda run out of people to infect? Asking for a friend :yikes:

black plague killed fast and if it didnt kill you were immune.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Bellmaker posted:

The Black Death recurred sporadically for about 300 years. :rip:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bellmaker posted:

Precisely. Wiped out half of Europe before it got there though. And it’s still around, though it’s treatable with antibiotics nowadays

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao this is completely insane

Trump is going to try to start a war on the West Coast by next week

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

VH4Ever posted:

Exactly my point, thanks for posting this. The OP I was referring to acted like 100% of the international trade in this country comes through two ports and two ports only, LA and NYC. This map puts to rest that ludicrous notion, eh?

I would certainly agree the notion that the USA only has two ports is silly for sure. My understanding, perhaps wrong, was that the absence of LA and NYC ports would cause big problems, not permanent problems but problems that would need to be addressed. To my thinking that seems accurate considering how much trade is moved through the two.

A prime example of why Yang Bucks would never have worked

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mat Cauthon posted:

After checking out this paper, it looks like they assumed an infectious period of 5 days based on other betacoronaviruses. Isn't that known to be way below current viral shedding estimates?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

syntaxrigger posted:

A prime example of why Yang Bucks would never have worked

We have employers in this country literally docking employees the exact amount of their Trump Bux.

A guaranteed income is just subsidizing employers. A long term federal unemployment check makes sense though.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Triskelli posted:

Precisely. Wiped out half of Europe before it got there though. And it’s still around, though it’s treatable with antibiotics nowadays

My dad happens to be watching this lecture series on the Black Death, I was darkly amused to hear apparently there was a theory by some people that it was caused by “bad air” and having even more bad air would drive it out, so they gathered around latrines and breathed deeply. Guess people were always that dumb in the face of disease. We’ve been pretty conclusively shown the aroma of poo poo doesn’t affect Covid-19 though or else Trump would have an actual valuable function against it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
after every round of quarantining the number of deaths needed to call for the next round will increase by thousands. pretty soon unless we've been hitting four digits for a few days your rear end better be at work

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

People seem surprised that trump is stating he has complete authority. This isn't a loving coronavirus new thing.

Fuckin' read it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

People seem surprised that trump is stating he has complete authority...

No they don't

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

We have employers in this country literally docking employees the exact amount of their Trump Bux.

A guaranteed income is just subsidizing employers. A long term federal unemployment check makes sense though.

I am not sure I see your distinction. What do you mean when you say "long term federal unemployment check" and how is that different than Yang's UBI or this one time $1200 "stimulus"?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's just like standing next to a light switch and just flipping it up, then down, then up, then down again, and up...and down, and up, and then down.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a little surprising he's stating he has complete authority in areas in which it is extremely clear and long-settled that he does not. Like, you'd think if he wanted try to exploit the crisis for a power grab, he'd want to do it in a way that stands some chance of succeeding, but nope. We're still not used to just how dumb and incompetent he is.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Whoolighams posted:

When I'm suffering from Biden-level dementia in a few decades, I will be able to remember the phrase B-Rock "The Islamic Shock" Hussein Superallah Obama instead of my wife or kids names and I don't know why

Speaking of, does anyone have the very short story about the dystopian future where Emperor Obama was forcibly vaccinating people/making them accept health care? Someone posted that like a decade ago and I can't find it anymore.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

People seem surprised that trump is stating he has complete authority. This isn't a loving coronavirus new thing.

Fuckin' read it.

Well there is also this

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/RobertFaturechi/status/1250128389765136385

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

syntaxrigger posted:

I would certainly agree the notion that the USA only has two ports is silly for sure. My understanding, perhaps wrong, was that the absence of LA and NYC ports would cause big problems, not permanent problems but problems that would need to be addressed. To my thinking that seems accurate considering how much trade is moved through the two.

Why do you keep reading me backwards? Djarum said that without LA and NYC the middle of America would cease being able to move or trade goods at all, a patently ridiculous notion. No one's talking about "removing" LA or NYC, what the hell are you responding to?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao this is completely insane

Trump is going to try to start a war on the West Coast by next week

honestly, it wouldn't shock me if it happened. not a war obviously but i expect him to start screaming and yelling about this and trying to force the states into compliance some how.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

VH4Ever posted:

Why do you keep reading me backwards? Djarum said that without LA and NYC the middle of America would cease being able to move or trade goods at all, a patently ridiculous notion. No one's talking about "removing" LA or NYC, what the hell are you responding to?

quote:

Djarum said that without LA and NYC...

quote:

No one's talking about "removing" LA or NYC, what the hell are you responding to?

:magemage:

I am now less interested in having this discussion.

e:clarity

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 14, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This is a confusing derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

syntaxrigger posted:

:magemage:

I am now less interested in having this discussion.

e:clarity

Djarum's post was about LA and NYC removing the rest of us. But yeah, I'm disinclined to respond to you further on this also. Be well.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 14, 2020