Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve thought of making a kickass 2005 or 2009 computer out of used parts now that it can be done for like a hundred or two tops. You can get a GeForce 9800 GTX for like ten bucks now, put one of those with a Phenom or something, install Windows XP, and you’ve got something that can do emulation and play the stuff that refuses to work with Windows 10.

That kind of hardware would run Windows10 fine and be fine for a daily.

My current project is a 2008 intel quad core laptop that should play nice with windows10 and beyond for another 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I still have my old Core 2 Quad machine that I upgraded to 8 GB (!) of RAM at some point and even played some GTA5 on before I built a new computer. I wish I had room to set it up permanently and make a system for legacy games out of it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Now I want more space where I live and fill it with old computers.

:same:

I have at least two other cpu/mobo pairs that I'd like to build out into full working cases if I had the room (and if covid hadn't stopped non essential deliveries)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Amazon still delivering SSDs to my house :shrug:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I’ve thought of making a kickass 2005 or 2009 computer out of used parts now that it can be done for like a hundred or two tops. You can get a GeForce 9800 GTX for like ten bucks now, put one of those with a Phenom or something, install Windows XP, and you’ve got something that can do emulation and play the stuff that refuses to work with Windows 10.

I got a first-gen Dell XPS that is a super weird computer; 4:3 but with a roughly 2000px width, decent mobile Radeon (for ~2004), actually retains abt an hour of battery life-

thing is, all of the bespoke drivers for it are WinXP; it'll run 7 no problem, but good luck kludging Vista drivers to work; various Linux flavors run fine, too, of course but nobody's bothered to write drivers for the more obscure bits of hardware. No GPU drivers means the thing chokes while trying to display anything on its high-resolution screen

also, it's got a 32-bit CPU, lmao

trying to find a use for it; airgapped XP install is about the safest/most useful option I can think of but administrating a system that can't get online is such a headache

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

getting into vintage hardware, especially graphics cards, is a dark and dangerous road friends. take care.

i will forever be shaking down thrift stores looking for stuff like the Jazz Bonny and Clyde (a Rendition card with an AGP AND PCI slot, you flip the bracket to the otherside!):

Obsidian X24 (2 Voodoo 2s on one card):

and truly immoral stuff like the EVGA Co-Op boards with graphic + physx chipset:

(ive got a thing for cards that you can still run, a lot of the REALLY crazy stuff from arcades/sims/ES has no drivers or never worked in the first place)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

gradenko_2000 posted:

:same:

I have at least two other cpu/mobo pairs that I'd like to build out into full working cases if I had the room (and if covid hadn't stopped non essential deliveries)

Just about everything is still getting delivered, Amazon is just prioritizing now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

Just about everything is still getting delivered, Amazon is just prioritizing now.

I live in the Philippines. Our lockdown is stricter

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cygni posted:

getting into vintage hardware, especially graphics cards, is a dark and dangerous road friends. take care.

i will forever be shaking down thrift stores looking for stuff like the Jazz Bonny and Clyde (a Rendition card with an AGP AND PCI slot, you flip the bracket to the otherside!):

Wha? How does this thing even? AGP and old school PCI are very very different architectures.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I live in the Philippines. Our lockdown is stricter

My US centric worldview does not understand how you can be on the internet and ordering computer parts and not be in NA.

(My bad for the assumption!)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You know there's absolutely nothing going on in the GPU world when the vintage people start dominating the thread.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lockback posted:

Wha? How does this thing even? AGP and old school PCI are very very different architectures.

A lot of GPUs during the transition days were designed to work with both so the board maker would just wire it up differently if you wanted a AGP version or PCI version. In this case it looks like someone thought they were smart and did it both ways.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Taima posted:

You know there's absolutely nothing going on in the GPU world when the vintage people start dominating the thread.

Better to talk about vintage hardware than relitigate AMD drivers again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I found a sweet deal on a pair of 7800 GTX’s. Tempted to build a vintage computer just to benchmark those in SLI vs one card now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
One day 2080Tis are going to be $50 but I’ll probably spring for the Titan.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaocaholica posted:

One day 2080Tis are going to be $50 but I’ll probably spring for the Titan.

You can get the original Titan for about $150 at the moment. Tempting, if just to say you own a Titan, baby! Kepler, and 6GB vram, lol.

Honestly might be pretty good performance for the dollar in some specific CUDA scenarios, since it has a ton of (relatively slow and and bandwidth starved) shaders.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

It's great. I wish I still had some of my GPUs from when I was a Rendition fanboy. Now all I've got left is an old 8800 GT (female on blower.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

You can get the original Titan for about $150 at the moment. Tempting, if just to say you own a Titan, baby! Kepler, and 6GB vram, lol.

Honestly might be pretty good performance for the dollar in some specific CUDA scenarios, since it has a ton of (relatively slow and and bandwidth starved) shaders.

the original titan is still 3-4x faster than a 2080ti in double precision flops lol

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

repiv posted:

the original titan is still 3-4x faster than a 2080ti in double precision flops lol

Cuda in the datacenter at this price point is only incredible, the amount of cheap-rear end home machine learning you can do at this point is really a revolutionary time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In 2005, my friends and I would go to Falcon Northwest's site and spec out the most expensive machine they sold. Then laugh about who could possibly afford such a thing. The high end from that era is super cheap now. Finding old parts that don't have bad capacitors or other problems is tricky, but if you're patient, it's cheap. If if you're playing games from that era, it's certainly an authentic experience.

Some things aren't cheap due to rarity, like a legit Geforce 6800 Ultra or 8800 Ultra can be pricey. But one step down from those is pennies.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuturePastNow posted:

Some things aren't cheap due to rarity, like a legit Geforce 6800 Ultra or 8800 Ultra can be pricey. But one step down from those is pennies.

A Core 2 Extreme x6800 is literally $25 on ebay. They were $1000 in 2006, hah.

There are also lots of very strange Socket 775 motherboards out there (ATI/Nvidia/SIS/Via) because Intel and AMD hadn't successfully patent trolled 3rd party chipsets out of existence yet.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 13, 2020

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the philippines lockdown is making me impatient that when they open stores (and plague) back up for business the first thing i'm getting is a 2400g or 3400g to play with for my deskmini tinker box

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Where is the Broadcast Engine stuff nVidia teased at TwitchCon last summer? Never heard of it again.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Taima posted:

vintage always dominates the thread, its just that now instead of playing retro games on the latest GTX ti's people are just actually building their old dream system

well done comrades, living the dream coming and going

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I miss my old Athlon II X4 630 (massively undervolted so it used up 55w on load and used it as a web server) and X3 440 (which got me through over a thousand hours of New Vegas and three separate GTX 275 cards killed) sometimes but practically any reason to rebuild an Athlon II platform went away with the Athlon Zen CPUs, which run circles around them. I still would like a floppy drive controller though :saddowns:

First systems where I made 8GB of ram, too, and that seemed like they would last forever! :v:

That was also the era where videocards got way better every 9 months (and the era where I seemed to have gotten a new card each year), making the consoles more and more like the jokes they really were.

AMD was really loose with socket support around that time, too. I think AM4 is actually AMD's longest-serving market-relevant socket.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I did a weird thing. I had a reference 5700xt blower card that I bought when Navi just came out, but wanted to upgrade to an AIB model. I didn’t want to pay a huge premium and microcenter had an open box 5700 Gigabyte Gaming for cheap and I read that flashing the BIOS to an XT can improve its performance a good deal. Also I wanted to try to dual-GPU Folding@Home and get higher ranks on the Goon team

Well the dual-GPU thing doesn’t work well for AMD, I would get weird power readings and the AMD software felt incredibly buggy so later on I just went ahead and sold my XT for what the non-XT cost.

I start to benchmark Timespy and the 5700 and with it fully OC’d it scores 8400. Not bad, but my XT hits 9000 pretty easily, 9100 average or so. Up next is flashing the 5700 to an XT.

I follow all the guides, go to flash it and get a “System ID Mismatch error” but since I have two GPUs in my system I don’t have a problem potentially creating an issue with one, and I go on to force the flash anyway. And it worked!

8900 stock which I guess is okay. The Auto-memory OC and auto-undervolt come up with numbers that I never have seen on my XT: 1095mv and 1900mhz VRAM. I plug those in and boom, 9230 Timespy. GPU junction is hitting 110C though which is pretty much the max safe temp your an hit, so I lower voltage by another 50mv to 1044. 9581 score and only 105 GPU junction which is higher than I ever got on the XT even with max fans blowing. Mem speed plays a big role on scores apparently..

TLDR: Anyway that’s my story on how I killed nearly an entire day in quarantine and ended up with practically the same exact thing I had before, except more recent and quieter.

Setset fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 13, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mcbexx posted:

Where is the Broadcast Engine stuff nVidia teased at TwitchCon last summer? Never heard of it again.
That automated greenscreen looked so cool, weird that we're only going to hear about it again once Ampere is announced most likely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

vintage always dominates the thread, its just that now instead of playing retro games on the latest GTX ti's people are just actually building their old dream system

well done comrades, living the dream coming and going

With all the time in the world a project like this is actually perfect.

Might build my old nightmare system, too. I’m talking GeForce 5200FX here.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I got all the parts for a build I’ve always wanted and left all the parts at work which is locked down.

Dual pentium 3 - 1.4ghz
4GB chipset
Fastest AGP video card (pcie era card with some translator chip)
PCI SATA SSD

Won’t run Win10 but def XP and Win7.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lube banjo posted:

TLDR: Anyway that’s my story on how I killed nearly an entire day in quarantine and ended up with practically the same exact thing I had before, except more recent and quieter.

@110C the 5700 will hit thermal throttling. I don't recall offhand how hot Timespy made things, but what are your thermals under a more typical load? If it's 105C you might want to back off the OC a bit more because that does not give you much headroom.

The 5700 with a BIOS flash still isn't quite to the XT level, since you still don't have the same stream processor or shader count, but it's still a hell of a value.

Good call on not bothering with dual GPUs. And drat, AMD likes to run it's GPUs hot. I know they still should have plenty of life for a consumer but when I see things like "100C+ operating temp" a part of my still shudders.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

That's hotspot temperature, which is always going to be higher under load than edge temp, which is what most other GPUs report. 100+ is still really high though, I have the dual fan sapphire version of the 5700xt, and the junction temp is usually around 90, while the edge temp sticks around the low 70s.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do high temperatures have anything to do with GPU failure? I’ve never had a single component other than multiple GPUs fail. Had 3 Dell-brand 7900GS’s fail on me, then a HD5870 had a capacitor blow up. The 7900GS’s all died the same way, with graphical artifacts appearing and disappearing in games, sometimes making the windows 7 3D desktop all weird.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Artifacting like that is usually a sign of memory failure, which is common when airflow gets bad. The RAM overheats and dies. GPUs themselves can also burn out, but that's somewhat less common.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

buglord posted:

Do high temperatures have anything to do with GPU failure? I’ve never had a single component other than multiple GPUs fail. Had 3 Dell-brand 7900GS’s fail on me, then a HD5870 had a capacitor blow up. The 7900GS’s all died the same way, with graphical artifacts appearing and disappearing in games, sometimes making the windows 7 3D desktop all weird.

I've definitely seen correlation with part failure and cases with total crap airflow. Caps can lose a lot of lifespan under high heat, though I suspect most of those failures isn't purely because of thermals. Thermal throttling these days keep things generally under control so usually its more of a performance thing since if you keep hitting thermal limits it can be a bad performance experience.

Back in the old days I had a CPU burn out on me when a heatsink slipped off and a buddy of mine had a celeron die pretty quickly that he used to run hot all the time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Minecraft RTX Beta is launching on the 16th

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/minecraft-with-rtx-beta-begins-april-16/

DLSS 2.0 confirmed as well

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIKzRhYZm4

This is some seriously impressive tech, god drat.

I won't pretend I fully understand how it works though so is there any possibility it might eventually be possible to force it in drivers and make it work for any game?

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Neutron posted:

This is some seriously impressive tech, god drat.

I won't pretend I fully understand how it works though so is there any possibility it might eventually be possible to force it in drivers and make it work for any game?

No. It requires information from the game renderer. If the game supports a form of temporal anti-aliasing such as TAA, then you can integrate DLSS rather simply as the motion information needed is already being calculated. This 2.0 version doesn't require per-game training and there's no charge from Nvidia to use it. The barrier for use is about as low as it can reasonably be.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah that was a fun watch. Half of it went over my head but I hope it eventually goes over to AMD and someday consoles so my Xbox buddies can finally enjoy 60FPS.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
People have messed around in the ini files and tried to see how low a base resolution is needed for a good experience. 512x288 is surprisingly acceptable and sadly 128x72 isn't enough. =)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Riflen posted:

People have messed around in the ini files and tried to see how low a base resolution is needed for a good experience. 512x288 is surprisingly acceptable and sadly 128x72 isn't enough. =)

in the grand scheme of potato quality resolutions/modes, that really is not bad at all. potato mode gaming gets a lot worse than that even at 288p, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw0MJUxFkHA&t=354s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sG21EKGxw&t=437s

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

repiv posted:

Minecraft RTX Beta is launching on the 16th

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/minecraft-with-rtx-beta-begins-april-16/

DLSS 2.0 confirmed as well

With DLSS 2.0 I should just about get 60 FPS at 3440x1440 with a 2080 Ti. This will be the first time i play Minecraft. DLSS 2.0 basically doubling the framerate was probably the kind of thing they were waiting to release this, performance is now an acceptable level.

Minecraft with raytracing has also been seen on the XSX, so this game might be the benchmark to compare how well AMD's hardware RT solution works compared to NV's.