Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Missing Donut posted:

That map is amazing. In context for you non-Wisconsinites, normally the three counties including Oshkosh, Green Bay, and the one in between are R. The southwest of the state is usually R (in bad years, just the county including Madison and the two directly south go D). The Eau Claire-La Crosse corridor always feels close but often slightly conservative and to see that much blue is interesting.

I assume it was an enthusiasm gap. Especially because a lot of people had to request absentee ballots early enough to be counted.

From my experience the Eau Claire-La Crosse area is increasingly economically centered on the health care industry (Mayo Clinic and Epic both employ a lot of people) and therefore is one of the few places in the state that still draws in young professionals.

P. much everyone I knew in La Crosse worked in service or health care or education. (for health care)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"Obummer" is about as fitting a nickname as you could give him.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

I posted this to the New Orleans subreddit and the amount of replies stanning for the banks is loving astounding. From people saying you shouldn't have ever wound up with $1200 in overdraft fees (as if that's what the majority of cases would be) to people saying that others are using the pandemic as an excuse not to pay their bills. Not a single person responded to my question about what stimulus is or if they supported the EESA in '08. People truly do not give a poo poo that this pandemic has laid tons of people off and left them without healthcare or enough of an income to cover essentials AND pay off debts.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Didn't Nola vote for Hillary in 2016? I suspect the redditors on that subreddit skew white and affluent.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Didn't Nola vote for Hillary in 2016?

There's a certain percentage of folks in that subreddit who are so regressive it's not even funny. Tons of dogwhistle poo poo like "thugs", "personal responsibility", et. al.

Here's a sample of the brainworms in that particular thread about banks using stimulus funds to cover customer debt:

quote:

You know, in case you have $1200 in overdraft fees. If you managed that, then instead of a stimulus, you'll be getting a hard lesson about checking your balance.

quote:

We got some real worthless scumbags that were just waiting on this pandemic to stop taking any responsibility for their lovely life decisions. Pay your bills people.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/AmerIndependent/status/1250149331568660480

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Looks like all the child rapists are getting off Scott free:-

https://twitter.com/trueanonpod/status/1250128403929264129?s=21

Lol dead country with no rule of law.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
As someone who once had $400+ of compounding overdraft fees during a five month span where I was broke as poo poo, those reddit pricks can gently caress off. Most banks are predatory and fees are plentiful, even when your account is in good standing.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As someone who once had $400+ of compounding overdraft fees during a five month span where I was broke as poo poo, those reddit pricks can gently caress off. Most banks are predatory and fees are plentiful, even when your account is in good standing.

Overdraft fees should be illegal.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/mccarthyryanj/status/1250143321823023105

I'm not sure if Burr's strategy is "if I don't have to resign over the stocks, I won't have to resign over anything", "they can't possibly nail me on all my violations", or "gently caress it, they're going to kick me out anyway" but I'm fascinated to see where this leads

(To note for those who don't click through, it was a 2017 transaction)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Al-Saqr posted:

Looks like all the child rapists are getting off Scott free:
Does this mean Lowtax has to unban Aartrek?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The fact that if you have a savings account with plenty of money in it and they hit you with fees if you go over on your checking account and they have to draw from your savings. In SUNTRUST where I bank its $12 bucks every time.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Easy for a guy with 50 million in his bank account and the twelfth richest member of Congress to say.

Support his opponent.

https://twitter.com/DLiamDorris/status/1222528501447909381?s=20

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ManBoyChef posted:

The fact that if you have a savings account with plenty of money in it and they hit you with fees if you go over on your checking account and they have to draw from your savings. In SUNTRUST where I bank its $12 bucks every time.

I also had this and if that happened I’d get the following : $35 for the initial overdraft, $12 fee taken from the savings account for “overdraft protection”, -the original amount of the purchase that went over, and another $35 taken from the checking account at the end of the month if the first $35 fee hit your account while it was already in the negative. So, a single purchase could cost you up to $82 in fees.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Here around Boston our biggest daily sports talk radio host has been convinced since Trump talked with the sports commissioners that he laid out a plan with them to bring sports back and that this WWE thing with Florida is the first step in it by opening the state up for leagues to now come and play there and it’s absolutely giving me a miserable migraine how anyone can attribute thought and agency to literally any of it beyond the McMahons bribing him to desperately save their tv deal with FOX.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Paracaidas posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mccarthyryanj/status/1250143321823023105

I'm not sure if Burr's strategy is "if I don't have to resign over the stocks, I won't have to resign over anything", "they can't possibly nail me on all my violations", or "gently caress it, they're going to kick me out anyway" but I'm fascinated to see where this leads

(To note for those who don't click through, it was a 2017 transaction)

Would it have made a difference if he had listed it on the market and that guy happened to snatch it away for such a high price?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Here around Boston our biggest daily sports talk radio host has been convinced since Trump talked with the sports commissioners that he laid out a plan with them to bring sports back and that this WWE thing with Florida is the first step in it by opening the state up for leagues to now come and play there and it’s absolutely giving me a miserable migraine how anyone can attribute thought and agency to literally any of it beyond the McMahons bribing him to desperately save their tv deal with FOX.

mcmahons are scummy/stupid enough to open up early. no one else will.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The bank I used to have would charge $35 per overdraft and would stagger things to your biggest pending charge would hit first followed by your smallest no matter what order you made your purchases in order to fully maximize your pain.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

say no to bats posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have the very short story about the dystopian future where Emperor Obama was forcibly vaccinating people/making them accept health care? Someone posted that like a decade ago and I can't find it anymore.

quote:

King Hussein Obama I, flanked by his bodyguards, stepped out of his blinged Limoscalade and marched up the gold-lined marble steps of Washington Palace. It should have been a glorious day, yet under his heavy yet exquisite crown of carved human fetus-ivory his brow was ridged deeply as he silently brooded. Still, his posse, boomboxes on their shoulders, dance-walked up the steps, chains and gats jangling over the din as they grabbed their crotches.

As his trusted associates T-Von and Mook-Mook the Bushman pushed open the grand organic farm-grown cruelty-free redwood doors paid for by his 95% tax rate, he stepped into the antechamber of the gold-domed palace. Outside, ShariaVentalism reigned, but in here his word was law, and all his white teen sex slaves cowered before his glare more than even the hemp whips of their latte-drinking tweeded atheist masters.

He walked down the hallway toward his office and a prisoner in chains passed before him, lead by two turban-wearing Mexicans. He spotted the King and began shouting curses.

"You loving fascist! I knew it! I knew it! I told them, but they wouldn't listen, that your health care platform was a slippery slope to all this! You won't get away with this! The will of the Free Market will not be denied!"
"Seelenceo een the prezence of the Keeng, preesoner!"

King Obama spotted a chance to improve his ill mood.

"Bring him here. Good. Give me his file." The king looked over the prisoner's dossier. A long list of crimes against the state, and a repeat offender. "You'll never get away with this! Never!"
"Hush now, Mr. Jack. We have ways of dealing with unruly sorts such as yourself."
"Praise be to Allah, seenyor."
"Peh! I spit at your torture! The Free Market gives me strength!"
"Oh, no, not anything as gauche as that."

The King grabbed a syringe from the outstretched hand of one of his nearby breakdancing bodyguards, and plunged it into the man's helpless neck.

"Now you are immune to rubella."

Kyle's lingering, echoing screams of tormented horror brought a slight smile like a crack in Obama's stony brown face as he walked into his lavish velvet-lined office and shut the door behind him. He motioned for his bodyguards to leave the room, and he addressed the giant screens hanging over his desk.

"Screen one on. Connect to Emperor bin Laden of Eurabia. Screen two: Hugo Chavez of the U.S.S.A.R.. Screen three: The High Elder of Zion."

The three figures appeared live via satellite.

"Gentlemen," began Obama darkly, "it's time to have... a conversation."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

The bank I used to have would charge $35 per overdraft and would stagger things to your biggest pending charge would hit first followed by your smallest no matter what order you made your purchases in order to fully maximize your pain.

I'm glad you left bank of america lol

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Push El Burrito posted:

I left a bank after they pulled some poo poo like this. The last straw was when I got hit with an overdraft fee after my paycheck went in - their excuse was that "the funds aren't officially in your account, even though it's posted". This is also the same bank that if you wanted to cash a paycheck, and your bank account didn't have enough funds in it, they wouldn't cash it. You'd have to deposit it and then wait a few days for the "funds to be available" before you can take cash out.

Went to a different bank and since then it's been super great. They even refinanced my car to a lower APR and helped me pay it off early.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Push El Burrito posted:

I have no words …

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MadDogMike posted:

My dad happens to be watching this lecture series on the Black Death, I was darkly amused to hear apparently there was a theory by some people that it was caused by “bad air” and having even more bad air would drive it out, so they gathered around latrines and breathed deeply. Guess people were always that dumb in the face of disease. We’ve been pretty conclusively shown the aroma of poo poo doesn’t affect Covid-19 though or else Trump would have an actual valuable function against it.

That's partially the backing behind plague doctor masks except they filled the beak with herbs, flowers, etc in the thought that would keep the bad air away

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

They charge me $12 if the average daily balance in checking is less than $2500. But, hey, free trades in the brokerage account. Yay for me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus loving christ.

https://twitter.com/RepLeanne/status/1250131766087745538

https://twitter.com/RepLeanne/status/1250137821861548033

wolf will veto but jesus gently caress.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grapplejack posted:

It was actually Regions. I left after the first time they did it to me then told me "it's in case you needed a big thing like your mortgage covered" like they were doing me a favor.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I support this guy making the ultimate sacrifice for capitalism

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Jesus. You first, motherfucker.

Y'ever realize the only people who care more about ~*~the economy~*~ than people are the ones that rely on the people to fill their wallets? Funny, that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

What blows my mind is how Trump or anybody intends to force a national "reopen".

Do they force people to go back to Target at gunpoint?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mendrian posted:

What blows my mind is how Trump or anybody intends to force a national "reopen".

Chuds are gonna force it where they can.

PA is about to possibly do it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

C2C - 2.0 posted:

From people saying you shouldn't have ever wound up with $1200 in overdraft fees

Ahahaha, I've watched hole paychecks go to overdraft fees.
Years and years ago I had a netzero account and I contacted them to cancel it. I got confirmation. A month later they withdrew their fee again from my account which would have overdrafted it, but PNC was my bank, and they blow. The same day while I was at work i used my bank card to buy drinks from the vending machine throughout the day. When I got home everything looked fine till the next morning when netzero "cleared" and wham, 6 overdraft fees of 46 bucks a piece. Pay it off in three days or we charge a late fee. My next paycheck is half a week away. Wham, 36 dollar late fee.
PNC seemed to be really good at this horse poo poo of making payments disappear for a day or so till most of the money was gone, then would drop that payment down and overdraft the multiples after. Since I changed banks it hasn't happened since.
So yeah, i can see how overdraft fees could eat up this stimulus check as much as anything else

Edit; Forgot to add when I went to PNC about the netzero payment and overdrafts I asked them to block netzero from taking again. They said they couldn't do that because I approved them to do it originally. So i had to close the account and open a new one. PNC blows. They do a little huckster meeting every year at the shop I work at. i refused to go and was told it was mandatory. I brought up my story here at the end and he said "Well, see, you should have a bank book so you can keep track of all your transactions." Then quickly shuffled out the door before I could ask how i'm supposed to record transactions that I am not aware of taking place because PNC is a lovely bank.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 14, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mendrian posted:

They think that the twitter commentators on his posts all begging him to reopen America are representative of the entire nation on this and every other issue he believes. Like usual.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

God there were some great posts back in the day.

This one was always my favorite:

quote:

12:05 PM Eastern Standard Time: the Muslims have vanished. Check for yourself if you don’t believe me. Where have they gone to?

There is speculation, of course. Scientists mention a cosmic storm that passed the Earth on January twentieth. A man says they are all in caves. Certain groups lament a faulty Rapture. A woman says he has taken their power and absorbed it into himself. She means Barack Obama. I doubt it, but he does seem somehow taller. The ground rumbles at times. The breaking news says WASHINGTON DC, with red concentric circles. I’m uneasy, but what can we do? Terror is defeated and if Obama were a Muslim, he’d be just as gone as them. There’s no cause for alarm.

Within months, Barack Obama has declared a war on vague unease. It’s a good idea, because frankly we could all use some peace of mind. Approval rating is higher than ever now that the Muslims had left, but I don’t think we are happy yet. His eyes are shining sometimes, as a deer’s eyes shine in a flashlight beam. Small fissures criss-cross the pavement. Trees are swaying, but the breeze is gone. Something is changing in our world.

Aeroplanes don’t exist anymore. Scientists explain that the density of the air is too low to support their wings. Then how do we breathe?! We should have died by now, but I think we are evolving. Our bodies haven’t changed, but the atmosphere..

One man says it was the Rapture after all, and we have since entered the Kingdom of God. Barack is now the size of an oak tree. He sleeps outside since the rains have ceased, and his skin is thick to bullets. Now he wanders through the countryside impassively. He ignores a rural photo-op.

He studies a leaf for twenty days.

Only a fool would call this Heaven.

Satellites fall to earth like rain used to. No friction burns them away, so we trudge past countless flecks of solar panel and ribbons of golden cloth. It’s a silent car crash every few hours, though cars themselves no longer run. No oxygen remains to ignite their fuel. Obama strides across the landscape, taller than the Freedom Tower. We’ve given up on assassination; all men are immortal now, and guns no longer fire.

I’m starting to wish the Muslims were back.

We found them with a telescope. Images of a colony on the right side of the moon. See the parts that jut from the lower right? I think they’re mosques. Soon they are visible to the naked eye, but how? Their cities are enormous. We watch them as they live and die. They have our former atmosphere; the moon is fringed with blue. “Look at how they wield their guns,” writes a man. “I always said he’d take our guns away.” They eat and sleep like we once did, building worthless ziggurats. We have everything we wanted, but oh how we envy their strife!

It’s long been clear that Obama brought this uncomfortable perfection upon us, but I can’t bring myself to blame him for it. He’s reminded us all of how our lives had been discarded out of fear. I know now why he grows each day. In time, when we are ready he will reach out into space. He will raise us up in his great hand, to this new Earth that gleams like a frozen star. And if Obama does not carry us, we can climb…

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Chuds are gonna force it where they can.

PA is about to possibly do it.

The point is that even if a state reopens most people are gonna continue to stay the gently caress home out of fear and the economy will still remain ground to a halt.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Mendrian posted:

Withdraw benefits and support. Both for individual citizens and for companies that don't kiss Trump's rear end hard enough.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yes but what will the actual mechanism *be*?

Like you can say, "I declare America open!" all you want, that doesn't magically make people go back to work or shop.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You have no one to blame but yourself for listening to sports radio when there hasn't been any sports for a month. If you need draft info, there are better ways

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Stumbled over the livestream of what is to become the tempertantrum of today. Watching these waiting journalists talk and laugh to eachother makes me happy. I'm happy they can have a friendly chat with others, because I know Trump can't do that.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1250161913037758464?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Thank you for this. I have never seen this before and it was a good read.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

God there were some great posts back in the day.

This one was always my favorite:

Also this.

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 14, 2020