Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Captain Splendid posted:

I think the weak link for me so far has probably been OG Delores.

All of her motivations and actions make sense, but they make it hard for her to be a compelling protagonist.
From memory, she's done nice things for 2 people in all of 8 and despite her drive coming from having suffered for years, none of it registers when you see her because the character's become totally robotic (lol)

I would've either kept the plot but had the focus more on the people trying to stop her and paint her as closer to a villain or give her more sympathetic traits or at least some emotion.

Yeah, her taking the bullets for Caleb was a step in the right direction though. Shows that she does care and maybe has some feelings for him. Aaron Paul has been doing the heavy lifting for the duo though and they need to let ERW give OG Dolores some emotional beats pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This episode was someone in the editing department justifying the $10,000 they spent buying LUT’s for premiere.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
As someone who really likes the music in Westworld, genre was a bummer because it resulted in just straight out using other films’ music

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like the idea that those two go around ONLY playing that one single death grips song just over and over and over

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ghostwritingduck posted:

As someone who really likes the music in Westworld, genre was a bummer because it resulted in just straight out using other films’ music

Well the drug would probably use music from famous genres that people would recognize.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
As someone who’s colorblind my day to day life is already film noire. wouldn’t really recommend it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

beanieson posted:

As someone who’s colorblind my day to day life is already film noire. wouldn’t really recommend it.

Do you mean you have no colour vision whatsoever?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Captain Splendid posted:

Do you mean you have no colour vision whatsoever?

No, I’m red/green colorblind but I play that film noire music through my beats and walk in slow motion all the time. It’s crippled my social life.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I mean, I'm a defender of most of season 2, in that I loved watching the hosts reap their revenge, the one Native American centric episode (I forget his name), and William become death incarnate, only to find out he's been playing someone else's game. I really don't get most people's criticism of season 2, I loving loved that ride. Though I just watched it all at once, so maybe it sucked one week at a time. And if you hate mystery box poo poo, I get why you would be annoyed by it. But I was totally on board.

But this episode? This was kind of poo poo. The genre drug stuff was just a lazy excuse to shoot things with weird filters and music, that they largely abandoned by the 3rd or 4th stage. I was shocked when they released all the info to everyone, because nothing else was really happening this episode other than pointless shooting at each other. And Serac proved himself to be less threatening rather than more, which I don't think was the intention.

Whatever, I'm still in, one poo poo episode doesn't make much of a difference. But this was a poo poo episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I wanted one person reading their future to go Whoo Hoo! And it shows "they become a billionare and hang out with superstars...".

This story is another version of The Forbin Project, exept with a super AI and evil Serac instead of just the AI, also its AI vs AI just like Forbin and Person of Interest.

What? Colossus(: The Forbin Project) wasn't AI vs AI, it was two super AIs teaming up to take over the world.

Forbin also wasn't anything like Serac; Colossus was designed purely to be a dispassionate controller of the American nuclear armory, a way to ensure that human fear wouldn't lead to an accidental nuclear war (and also to ensure that retaliation would occur in the event of someone else kicking off nuclear war). Colossus then decided on its own accord to use its control over nuclear weapons to dictate a new world order, totally contrary to Forbin's wishes.

Serac's system (so far as we've seen, anyway) isn't really like Colossus either since it doesn't seem to be self-aware or even self-directing; if it were, I doubt it would have accepted the command to give away everyone's profiles. (although, it would be intensely amusing if it was self-aware, and decided that the best response to "give up all your power" would be to flood the world with bogus negative profiles)

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The people most likely to attempt suicide are definitely going to fall into the "I'm glad they're dead" category for Serac. He's basically running a worldwide eugenics program, and having them off themselves saves him the trouble of having to manage their lives so they don't procreate. Which interestingly goes against Ford's belief that humanity was done evolving, given that there's now a guiding hand accelerating it.

Something along this line occurred to me while watching the episode; if I remember right, Ford says something about people being stuck in their own loops themselves. It's a little too on-the-nose and I doubt they'd go this way, but I could see it as almost-plausible that Ford had a big gambit in play with Westworld where he intended to use the hosts to try to bring down the system; the theme park, after all, being the one place where he was in charge ("we were like gods") and didn't have to submit to the wishes of Serac's system.

I mean, remember the bit towards the end of Season 1 where Maeve is convinced she's making plans for herself, only for Bernard to see that no actually she's still following a pre-programmed loop?

Who's to say that isn't what's still happening for Dolores as well?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I really don't get most people's criticism of season 2, I loving loved that ride. Though I just watched it all at once, so maybe it sucked one week at a time. And if you hate mystery box poo poo, I get why you would be annoyed by it. But I was totally on board.

Because all the mysteries had nonsensical resolutions or ended up being completely stupid. The 2 best episodes, Delos Sr and Aketcheta, were basically straightforward and paid off with a satisfying conclusion. Unfortunately the rest of the season 2 didn't have either of those going for it.

Who flooded the valley? A ton of people saw who flooded it.
Why were the security guards rushing to murder hosts who from their point of view were running off a cliff? Because.
The massive amount of data in Abernathy's head? Turns out it's an encryption key. An encryption key that unlocks data that is only located within the park so why the gently caress would you want to smuggle the key out where it's worthless?
How did Hale-Dolores smuggle things out of the park? The same way that was rejected in season 1 for getting Abernathy's head data out ie just putting her purse.

Then there is stupid stuff like Stubbs randomly being a robot.
Or the entire encounter between Dolores and MiB which should have been a great scene as they finally meet up again. But instead he decides to join her because the script said so. And then she doesn't even need his help as she just 360 no scopes the guards.
Or all of SamuraiWorld being completely pointless. Yes we already know Maeve loves her daughter this is not a new revelation.
Or the "Welcome to Westworld" scene which was actually so bad that it loops back around to being funny.

There's probably more stuff I'm forgetting(or repressing) but season 2 was loving bad.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Because all the mysteries had nonsensical resolutions or ended up being completely stupid. The 2 best episodes, Delos Sr and Aketcheta, were basically straightforward and paid off with a satisfying conclusion. Unfortunately the rest of the season 2 didn't have either of those going for it.

Who flooded the valley? A ton of people saw who flooded it.
Why were the security guards rushing to murder hosts who from their point of view were running off a cliff? Because.
The massive amount of data in Abernathy's head? Turns out it's an encryption key. An encryption key that unlocks data that is only located within the park so why the gently caress would you want to smuggle the key out where it's worthless?
How did Hale-Dolores smuggle things out of the park? The same way that was rejected in season 1 for getting Abernathy's head data out ie just putting her purse.

Then there is stupid stuff like Stubbs randomly being a robot.
Or the entire encounter between Dolores and MiB which should have been a great scene as they finally meet up again. But instead he decides to join her because the script said so. And then she doesn't even need his help as she just 360 no scopes the guards.
Or all of SamuraiWorld being completely pointless. Yes we already know Maeve loves her daughter this is not a new revelation.
Or the "Welcome to Westworld" scene which was actually so bad that it loops back around to being funny.

There's probably more stuff I'm forgetting(or repressing) but season 2 was loving bad.

The PMC vs sexy robot grenade death scene was one of the dumbest bits for me.

I'm enjoying the new season though, it's a lot of fun

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My favorite part of S2 was Ed Harris asked the director "why the gently caress am I riding with Dolores? "

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Captain Splendid posted:

I think the weak link for me so far has probably been OG Delores.

All of her motivations and actions make sense, but they make it hard for her to be a compelling protagonist.
From memory, she's done nice things for 2 people in all of 5 episodes and despite her drive coming from having suffered for years, none of it registers when you see her because the character's become totally robotic (lol)

I would've either kept the plot but had the focus more on the people trying to stop her and paint her as closer to a villain or give her more sympathetic traits or at least some emotion.

Yeah it would have been cool if they'd done the season like Carmen Sandiego.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

stephenthinkpad posted:

My favorite part of S2 was Ed Harris asked the director "why the gently caress am I riding with Dolores? "

Was the director's reply "because Nolan's a hack"?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Serac's system (so far as we've seen, anyway) isn't really like Colossus either since it doesn't seem to be self-aware or even self-directing; if it were, I doubt it would have accepted the command to give away everyone's profiles. (although, it would be intensely amusing if it was self-aware, and decided that the best response to "give up all your power" would be to flood the world with bogus negative profiles)
I mean, it could be self-aware but all the data being something that it has no control over whether is extracted or not. So like, it's pure input, while the task of outputting the data is left to a much dumber program. Though I suppose if it was aware that this request was likely to be made soon, it could prepare those profiles to in advance to say exactly what would work the most in its favor.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Something along this line occurred to me while watching the episode; if I remember right, Ford says something about people being stuck in their own loops themselves. It's a little too on-the-nose and I doubt they'd go this way, but I could see it as almost-plausible that Ford had a big gambit in play with Westworld where he intended to use the hosts to try to bring down the system; the theme park, after all, being the one place where he was in charge ("we were like gods") and didn't have to submit to the wishes of Serac's system.
Now I'm considering the opposite; the idea that the system recognized the existence of non-human people, and because of a sloppy definition of whose overall welfare it was designed to promote it is now seeking to replace humanity with robots who can have their altruism and logic setting set to max.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

beanieson posted:

No, I’m red/green colorblind but I play that film noire music through my beats and walk in slow motion all the time. It’s crippled my social life.

That explains why you never get the dames!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The people most likely to attempt suicide are definitely going to fall into the "I'm glad they're dead" category for Serac. He's basically running a worldwide eugenics program, and having them off themselves saves him the trouble of having to manage their lives so they don't procreate.

One person’s file literally said they shouldn’t be allowed to procreate so they could be removed from the gene pool.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sammus posted:

One person’s file literally said they shouldn’t be allowed to procreate so they could be removed from the gene pool.
Wasn't that also the case for Caleb? It's just a giant cockblocking machine, ruining relationships before they even have a chance of getting started.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wasn't that also the case for Caleb? It's just a giant cockblocking machine, ruining relationships before they even have a chance of getting started.

The most unrealistic thing is not seeing Insite stormed by a bunch of literal incels setting fire to Rohoboam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Solkanar512 posted:

The most unrealistic thing is not seeing Insite stormed by a bunch of literal incels setting fire to Rohoboam.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN NONE OF THESE VAPID BITCHES WILL gently caress ME?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If Robohobo saw the rise of the machines coming, why didn't Serak shut down Ford and Westworld? That place is like a breeding ground for rogue AIs.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I really don't like this show never establish a simple and consistent rule to tell between human and robots.

This is a clear sign that the show runner is not in the business of telling stories of characters, but rather in it to unwrapping a plot twist box.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

I really don't like this show never establish a simple and consistent rule to tell between human and robots.

Wait why would this be a thing?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"So and so turns out to be a robot" is just a plot point. The larger theme is that it doesn't matter if someone's human or host because they both face the same problems, lack of agency being the main one.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is it just me or is the sound mixing horrible in Westworld? The dialogue track is barely louder than the ambience, and drowned out by music tracks. I have to either struggle to hear people, or blow my eardrums out when there's gunfire.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

smoobles posted:

Is it just me or is the sound mixing horrible in Westworld? The dialogue track is barely louder than the ambience, and drowned out by music tracks. I have to either struggle to hear people, or blow my eardrums out when there's gunfire.

The sounds mix is good, this show is here for the cool cyberpunk jams.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

smoobles posted:

I could barely hear the dialogue when I was watching on my TV, even when I used bluetooth headphones with it. I never have issues with any other show. It's much better watching on my computer though, so who knows.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

"So and so turns out to be a robot" is just a plot point. The larger theme is that it doesn't matter if someone's human or host because they both face the same problems, lack of agency being the main one.

I think that's the common complaint. If it doesn't matter who's a robot or a human, the show shouldn't be making a big deal out of dishing out that info, because now it's just a cheap "fooled you!" moment. Hopefully they won't play that card anymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solkanar512 posted:

Incels are authoritarian as gently caress and subsequently deferential.

OTC
Oct 20, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

You must really hate Blade Runner then! not being able to tell the difference is the core tenet of an entire sub-genre of science fiction.

My opinion may change when I go back to re-watch (knowing who's who in advance) but this is something I think season 1 did really well. At the beginning it was almost trivially easy to distinguish host vs guest within a few seconds - right up until it wasn't.

Human Tornada posted:

I think that's the common complaint. If it doesn't matter who's a robot or a human, the show shouldn't be making a big deal out of dishing out that info, because now it's just a cheap "fooled you!" moment. Hopefully they won't play that card anymore.
Agree with this. Having just established human/robot equivalency, even something as far out as 'haha, everyone's a robot and have been for centuries' is entirely inconsequential.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
until I see a baby pushed right out of a vagina and the subsequently chronologically filmed through adolescence how can we know who is human?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

William's meltdown was meaningless because we already explored all that dumb poo poo in Season 1. We get it, robots and humans are indistinguishable.

This season overall sucks rear end for expecting me to buy into its lore at an extremely fast pace. Season 1 in the park took its time to establish its themes and we had some awesome Anthony Hopkins monologues to draw us into the concepts. The outside world season is cramming the themes down our throats with bad dialogue telling us how to feel about Future Society.

I hope everything we've seen so far in S3 is actually another theme park, that would be dope as hell.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 16, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Bip Roberts posted:

until I see a baby pushed right out of a vagina and the subsequently chronologically filmed through adolescence how can we know who is human?

It should be pretty easy to tell even with current day technology, if we are in a hard scifi show. You can't have hosts that have super human strength and taking bullets like foam darts and still have exactly the same biological body as human. It should be able to make a cheap oxymeter like device and check in seconds. Or maybe just use your smartphone to check if your human eyes have blind spots. Maybe just punch a tiny hole in your body and see how fast your body heal.

I can't expend on simple ways to do human/host test because the Nolans never bothered to explain the inner working of their robots. It's a casual rear end show.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 16, 2020

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bip Roberts posted:

Even that's unreliable, these days. One should also have uninterrupted video documentation of the child's conception and gestation, ideally from the CCTV of a hermetically sealed nanite-free dwelling.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

It should be pretty easy to tell even with current day technology, if we are in a hard scifi show. You can't have hosts that have super human strength and taking bullets like foam darts and still have exactly the same biological body as human. It should be able to make a cheap oxymeter like device and check in seconds. Or maybe just use your smartphone to check if your human eyes have blind spots. Maybe just punch a tiny hole in your body and see how fast your body heal.

I can't expend on simple ways to do human/host test because the Nolans never bothered to explain the inner working of their robots. It's a casual rear end show.

These sound like good TV ideas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One thing I really miss from season 1 was the regular repitition of:

"Haha, I am so much smarter than Ford and have masterfully outplayed him :smug:"
several seconds pass
"OH GOD I HAVE BEEN MASTERFULLY OUTPLAYED BY FORD! :gonk:"

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I think Deloris’ trip in the ambulance showed us that it is possible to differentiate between people and androids. She had zero white blood cells and a couple other things that confused the gently caress out of the emts.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sammus posted:

I think Deloris’ trip in the ambulance showed us that it is possible to differentiate between people and androids. She had zero white blood cells and a couple other things that confused the gently caress out of the emts.
Yeah, it's not that it's impossible to tell the two apart, it's just that the test is a little more invasive than simply looking at them. They're made to be sexbots, you would expect them to be designed to be indistinguishable at the surface level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're made to be sexbots

Oh, by the way dude "sexbots" is not the preferred nomenclature, uh, "fuckpuppet", if you could be respectful