Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Sorry for the dearth of updates. I work in healthcare so unlike a lot of people my work hours have increased. Also I've switched to evenings so my routine and schedule is all over the place. Also Dalris is going experiencing something similar, I believe. Next update in a few days!

e: also I bought State of Decay 2 on a whim a few weeks ago and that's been eating up a lot of free time.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

State of Decay 2 is a ton of fun! I play it on the xbox

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

On top of the already "it's completely fine 100% of the time" thing about not updating, you also work in healthcare and are feeling bad?!? You have waaaaaaay more important things to do!!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I make up for it by regaling the Discord with stories from the ER. Like the trauma code red we had last week of a 74-year-old driving at night on a motorcycle, without a helmet, and drunk. Also, wearing a mask for 12 hours continuously except to eat sucks!

(I don't actually treat patients, I'm a glorified notes-taker)

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Moon Slayer posted:

I make up for it by regaling the Discord with stories from the ER. Like the trauma code red we had last week of a 74-year-old driving at night on a motorcycle, without a helmet, and drunk. Also, wearing a mask for 12 hours continuously except to eat sucks!

Every single one counts, and that makes you a loving hero and the last thing you need is excuses. Stay safe and don't forget to look after yourself while you're taking care of others. Thank you, seriously.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Moon Slayer posted:

The Discord is also great for random degloving anecdotes.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

No pictures, though. I don't want people to get the impression that we're posting gore pics in there.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Moon Slayer posted:

No pictures, though. I don't want people to get the impression that we're posting gore pics in there.

Also HIPPA if you're US.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

TheShadowAvatar posted:

Also HIPPA if you're US.

Only if you're in health care at a care facility. My anecdotes were all on-the-job.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Moon Slayer posted:

Also Dalris is going experiencing something similar, I believe.

It's true, things are pretty weird over here. Not giving up though!

quote:

: So we've been waiting in line here how long?

: Unsure, Herald. Planet is strange, smells of metal and... not-living things.

: Looks like we have time for another round of twenty questions then!

: :negative:

also I've been playing sto again but that doesn't usually last very long >.>

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 8, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 10: The Rescue

quote:

After successfully completing the Jedi trials on Tython, ALORA STARI has been sent by the Jedi Council to Coruscant to investigate a dark presence on the Republic capital world.

Master Orgus tasked his former padawan with tracking down the stolen plans for the Planet Prison, but during the mission a Republic scientist named DOCTOR TARNIS was captured.

To rescue Tarnis, Alora must defeat the nefarious BLACK SUN gang that is holding the doctor hostage …

: Now this, T7 … this is a bad part of town.

: You can tell because it’s full of people stupid enough to try and fight a Jedi in the middle of the street!

quote:

Black Sun is a powerful crime syndicate that rose to prominence on Coruscant in the latter days of the war. Taking advantage of the chaos and rioting in the city after the planet’s sacking, several gangsters joined forces and began seizing control of lower-city neighborhoods. The origin of the syndicate’s name is unclear, but a common phrase among despairing Coruscant citizens was “better a black sun than none.”

Alas, hopes that Black Sun would bring order instead of anarchy died quickly. For Black Sun, the rioting and looting never really stopped. Although the gangsters have profitable spice- and weapons-trafficking operations, their members, almost to a man, have an extraordinary taste for violence. Civilians are extorted until they have nothing left to extort: afterwards, they’re used for target practice. City blocks are incinerated for the pleasure of demolitionists.

Despite the efforts of the Justicars’ Brigade, Black Sun has become a force to be reckoned with. The Republic Senate has begun to realize the threat Black Sun represents, but with the syndicate's influence already beginning to stretch beyond Coruscant, stopping it may be impossible.

: This should be where Galen’s team is.
: Audio sensors = detect weapons fire
: Well that’s not good.

: Corporal, get a kolto pack on that man. The rest of you, prep for evac.
: Agent Galen sent me. What’s happened?
: Black Sun. They’re not a gang anymore. They’re an army. We were securing a perimeter around their base for you. They hit back with military-grade weapons. Killed six of my men.

: Seven, sir. Jorin‘s gone.
: Killed seven of my men. We’re not equipped for this fight -- not anymore. We can’t help you.
: You’re telling me Coruscant’s finest can’t handle some gangsters?
: We’ve been fighting Black Sun for months. Now with new weapons and armor, they’re unstoppable.
: Jedi + T7 = stop the unstoppable every day

: What the droid said.
: What? All I heard is beeping. Look at us. We’re half-dead and they didn’t suffer a single casualty. There’s no hope of victory.
: If you surrender now your soldiers will have died in vain. Is that what you want? What about the man inside that base waiting to be rescued? You’d abandon him? This is a moment of truth, sergeant. Do you give up and let evil win, or stand up and fight?

: I’ll go with you -- but I won’t ask my men to follow.
: You don’t have to. The Jedi’s right. We can’t let those scum beat us.

: Count me in. Always wanted to fight alongside a Jedi.
: All right, this is more like it. What’s the plan?
: You’ll need to take down the base’s security network so we can get inside. Once the network’s down we’ll attack the back entrance. You take the front. We’ll rendezvous in the base.
: Be strong, all of you. I’ll see you on the inside.
: Let’s double-time it, men! Move, move!

: T7 wonders = why security controls located outside of base
: Huh … you know I never thought of that. Yeah that’s kind of bad design. Ah drat, it wants an access code.
: …
: With time = T7 can …

: No need, my friend. No need.

[There are actually four different consoles to “access” in order to proceed. Content!]

: This place is surprisingly clean for a gang hideout.

: I hear voices up ahead … be ready.

: Tarnis! We risked everything for you. Stealing those data files, faking your kidnapping … this is how you repay us?

: You were compensated with enough weapons and armor to make Black Sun invincible.
: Invincible? There’s a Jedi carving up my base! This is your fault. We never should’ve trusted a Sith!
: Buh whaaaaaa?
: T7 = Genuinely shocked by this turn of events

: If a Jedi has come for you, Salarr, it wasn’t my doing.
: You won’t get away with betraying the Republic, Doctor Tarnis.
: The name is Lord Tarnis. I’ve shed that old skin. l have no time for this nonsense. Finish your pointless battle. Coruscant’s fate is already sealed.
: ”Lord” isn’t a name, you … oh he hung up.

: I wouldn’t.

: Told ‘ya.

: Surrender, you scum! We’ve got you surrounded.
: Don’t waste your time talking to them! Shoot them all! Do it now!

: Can’t believe it! We just took down Salarr. Black Sun won’t forget that anytime soon. That was quite the fight. You, uh, were kind of on fire there for a bit. Are you … uh …
: Nah, I’m fine. Wasn’t the first time that’s happened.
: Huh. Anyway. We lost some good soldiers, but this victory gives their deaths meaning.
: Black Sun will have reinforcements here soon.
Any sign of the man you came to rescue?
: Unfortunately, yes.

: There you are … we intercepted Salarr’s holocall to Tarnis. Can’t believe he’s a Sith! But that’s not the worst news. The Planet Prison prototype here at the lab? A fake. Tarnis stole the real Planet Prison.
: Tarnis has been playing us from the start.

: Playtime’s over. Let’s find that traitor. We need you back at the Senate tower. Kira out.
: Sounds like your work is just starting. We won’t hold you up. Goodbye. Jedi.

: Eesh, I am not looking forward to this meeting.

: A Sith, working as my chief scientist! How can I defend the Republic if I can't trust my own people? Tarnis's entire engineering team vanished along with the Planet Prison. They're all traitors, too!
: Tarnis couldn’t pull this off by himself.
: I’ve known that team for years. I never saw a hint that they were anything less than patriots.
: Let’s not forget that apparently a Sith Lord was living in downtown Coruscant for years without anybody sensing him. That’s fun to consider.
: The Sith want us to panic. Don’t give in to fear.
: Tarnis will use the Planet Prison against Coruscant. He could trap us here forever. Paralyze the Republic by holding us hostage.

: What did I just say!?
: You’re our only hope of stopping that.
: I’ll stop him, general -- but I need to know where he is.

: That’s where I come in. I just traced that holocall we intercepted from the Black Sun base. Tarnis was communicating from down in sector 439.
: Justicar territory! Tarnis knows we’re not welcome there.
: Justi-who?

: Justicars are paramilitary vigilantes. They took over a sector -- cut ties with the rest of Coruscant. And they don’t like visitors.
: What? How is that even possible?
: Many Justicars are ex-Republic military who came home to find gangsters controlling their neighborhoods. They believe the Republic abandoned Coruscant to crime so they’ve taken matters into their own hands.
: I mean … they’re not wrong.
: The Justicars are well trained and armed, but they don’t concern me. It’s the Sith Lord I'm worried about.

: You shouldn't face Tarnis alone. I may only be a padawan but I can help you.
: With this much at stake, two Jedi are better than one.
: T7 = wait here // Kira + Jedi = be careful + be fast!
: Trust me, that’s the plan.
: Stop Tarnis before he uses the Planet Prison against us. The fate of the Republic rests on your shoulders. Jedi. May the Force be with you.
: No pressure.
: We’ll make it look easy.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Given the lack of shocked and surprised reactions that Tarnis turned out to be a bad guy, I'm guessing that, like with me, this reveal was met by most people with a collective "who? Oh right, that guy we're rescuing. Who was he again?"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

You see the man once, and then he gets abducted, and then it turns out he's evil. It's not very well set up no. Other class stories set up their surprise traitors better.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yeah sorry I played the knight story enough to not act surprised lol.
As for this waffleface? He should have shown up more. Maybe 2 planets, if you wanted to set him up as a traitor.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

If the Planet Prison was invented by undercover Sith, I'm betting it has a lethal mode we weren't told about earlier.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MightyPretenders posted:

If the Planet Prison was invented by undercover Sith, I'm betting it has a lethal mode we weren't told about earlier.

That or it reaches further down in the atmosphere than advertised. Be a shame if there happen to be any, say, passenger planes flying around when that thing turns on.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also there's the fact that back around launch you needed to knock out about a half-dozen side quests in between every class quest in order to stay at the appropriate level, so there's a very good chance that you could go 6-8 hours of gameplay between these main story missions. That's why there's a lot of recapping in conversations that I'm cutting out. Although it is kind of fun to play as an amnesiac who needs to be reminded who Black Sun is by everyone he talks to.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Moon Slayer posted:

Given the lack of shocked and surprised reactions that Tarnis turned out to be a bad guy, I'm guessing that, like with me, this reveal was met by most people with a collective "who? Oh right, that guy we're rescuing. Who was he again?"

That was a pretty accurate summary of my reaction

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 11: Tracking Down the Traitor

quote:

After successfully completing the Jedi trials on Tython, ALORA STARI has been sent by the Jedi Council to Coruscant to investigate a dark presence on the Republic capital world.

There, Alora discovered that Doctor Tarnis was actually a SITH LORD posing as a Republic scientist to gain access to classified weapons projects.

To capture the traitor, Alora and Padawan Kira Carsen must pursue Tarnis to an abandoned military vault in the heart of JUSTICAR territory …

[Apologies in advance but something went wonky with the screenshot sizes in this one. You’ll see.]

: You know, Master Kiwiiks let me drive.
: Really?
: Well, no, not after I ripped the bottom off the speeder on an antenna my first time out. But she was going to let me try again at some point!

: Is that an armed checkpoint? Who are these guys?

quote:

Formally known as the Justicars' Brigade, this militia was formed in the years after the Sacking of Coruscant when a crime syndicate began seizing control of Coruscant’s lower regions. The Republic Senate lacked the resources to challenge the syndicate -- later called Black Sun -- and withdrew its security forces. Outraged at Black Sun’s treatment of the local citizens, a group of ex-military individuals formed the Justicars, intending to retake their neighborhoods.

However, eliminating Black Sun and regaining control proved more difficult than the Justicars had expected. They took extreme measures to restore order, beginning with a simple curfew and culminating in the imposition of martial law.

The Justicars have now instituted checkpoints and armed guards throughout their territory, acting with lethal force against anyone lacking "proper clearance." Their unshakeable belief that this is necessary to keep people safe only makes the Justicars more dangerous. Coruscant's government has declared the Justicars a threat to be dismantled, and the Justicars have cut off all communication with outsiders.

: I thought Var Suthra was exaggerating when he said Republic forces weren’t welcome here. This is ridiculous.
: I hate this place already. You just know this whole area’s crawling with snipers. Anyway, this is the place where I traced the transmission. How are we doing this?
: Follow my lead.

: Well that was … direct.

: They built their own detention center?
: This must be where the Justicars keep everyone they don’t kill.
: Kira, take a note: when we wrap up this Tarnis business we gotta come back and mess these guys up.
: I’m a padawan, not a secretary, but I’ll add it to the list, after Black Sun and the Migrant Merchants’ Guild.

: Has to be here somewhere … wait, who’s that?

: Uhh … Jedi? Thank the stars.

: I don’t see a Planet Prison anywhere. That’s not good.
: We’ve been such fools. Tarnis -- he’s a Sith!
: Uh, yeah, we know already. I’ve come to stop him. What happened here?

: Tarnis tricked us. Said you Jedi were going to shut the project down. Told us to bring the Planet Prison here. Keep it safe. Thought we were saving the Republic. We brought Tarnis the prototype. He turned on us. Killed everyone.

: I need to know where Tarnis went.
: Don’t know, but he took the Planet Prison. Prototype creates a massive heat signature when activated. Run a thermal scan. You’ll find Tarnis. Planet Prison needs time to build up power. Enough time for you to destroy it. Save Coruscant …
: Blarg! *dies*

: Poor man. He didn’t deserve this.
: Well if nothing else General Var Suthra will be happy to know that the whole team weren’t traitors, just gullible.
: I‘ll run a thermal scan from one of these terminals. Come on …
: Convenient.

: Running a thermal scan … whoa, the technician wasn’t kidding. Something’s really lighting up. Tracking … Here we go. Sector 187, coordinates 8863 … Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me!
: What?
: The signal’s coming from the ruins of the Jedi Temple.
: ...
: That Sith must be laughing himself silly.
: Talk about a sick joke …

: If the Planet Prison has been activated we don’t have much time.
: Hope you’re ready for anything.
: We’re going down there and we’re killing Tarnis. End of story.
: I can definitely get behind that.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

THE JEDI TEMPLE!

The Jedi temple is a flat friggin circle.

It is kinda neat that the only heroic quest in there is a hallway with a boss at the end so it is easy money

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

The link you have for Alora’s character portrait is broken. Not any of the earlier ones but for the recent updates. I don’t know if this showing up on the browser because I’m phone posting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"Quick, run a thermal sca--"
"No, just think of the place that superficially sounds the most significant to my character class"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Sith can't resist being dramatic.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The shield designed to keep people trapped on a planet only working if the generator is placed on said planet is really stupid. Though I suppose people in Star Wars not understanding shields should cover shield generators are pretty in character. A whole galaxy of dumbasses.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I mean, it's ostensibly a planetary defense not a slave shield, of course the shield generator is on the planet itself.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Always having the defense controls/power source outside the defenses is a weird blind spot that almost certainly is plot-driven instead of logic-driven, but it's not like there aren't real world examples. Like how Roman cavalry was pretty much useless because they never figured out stirrups.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 9: Hot Pursuit

quote:

Captain JEK TAMBO has tracked the nefarious scoundrel and starship thief SKAVAK to the Republic's chaotic capital world of Coruscant, which struggles to rebuild from the Sith Empire’s devastating attack during the war.

On a planet of a trillion inhabitants, where vicious gangs battle the overwhelmed government for control of entire sectors, finding Skavak will be impossible without making powerful new friends.

The smuggler must venture into deadly city ruins controlled by Skavak’s violent allies in the BLACK SUN gang …

: Captain, are you sure that we … well, that we should be here?
: Yeah, this is a pretty rough part of town. Not as rough as some places I’ve been to, but still …
: Are we safe?
: Hahaha! Oh, Corso. No. No we’re not. But chin up! The key is to act confident, but not too confident enough to draw attention. Nondescript confidence.
: Okay, if you say so … pretty sure I saw a dead body back there …

: Quite the little pillow fort Black Sun has built for themselves down here.
: So what’s the play, captain? Go in guns blazing?
: Are you nuts? We’re just stealing some access codes. Get in close, now.
: Aw captain, not that stealth field thingy again. It makes my teeth feel all weird. Are you sure it’s safe?
: Safer than getting shot, that’s for sure.

: See? What’d I tell you. Now we’ve just got to go to Black Sun’s archive and access that holorecording of their meeting with Skavak.

: Basic cleanliness certainly seems to have gone out the window.

: Yes, hi, hello! I’d like to lodge a complaint with the janitorial staff!

: Heh heh heh … “lodge a complaint” Ahh, I crack myself up, don’t I Corso?
: I think my gums are bleeding.

: No time for dentistry, Corso, we’ve got a meeting to watch.

: Well, well. The jackal of the stars himself pays me a visit. Long time no see, Skavak. You must really need my help, huh?

: Urbax, buddy, you’re such a cynical guy. Can‘t I just be paying an old friend a visit?
: Skavak! :argh:
: “You” and “friends” is the funniest thing I’ve heard all year. Get to the point before I stop laughing.
: They don’t seem to like each other very much. Maybe Black Sun aren’t working with him after all?
: No, see, this is classic bad guy banter. It’s like foreplay except someone else is going to get hurt. Nonconsensually.

: A lawman from the Outer Rim is sticking to me like a mynock on a power coupling. I need somebody to scrape him off.
: Lawman, huh? Sounds like that’ll cost double.
: Whatever it takes. I’m in a rush to wrap up other business here. Besides, finding work for my friends makes me feel good.
: Nice. So where is this little parasite you want me to remove?
: He’s at a docking bay in the spaceport, and he’s alone. I’m sure he won’t give a burly scrapper like you much trouble.
: I guarantee he won’t. Oh, and I’ll be wanting my payment in advance.
: I wouldn’t have it any other way, Urbax. You enjoy yourself.

: It might be this lawman knows how to find Skavak. We’d better try to save him.
: Agreed. Anybody Skavak wants to get rid of is a friend of mine, even if I’m not too fond of lawmen.
: Let’s go bust up that party at the spaceport, captain.

: Black Sun goons!
: No worries, Corso. I figured this would happen and came prepared.

: Always smart to bring a bomb to a gun fight, kid. There’s a little life lesson for you.
: I think we’re the same age.
: Chronologically, maybe.

: This was fun, little mouse, but we’re done playing.

: Time to die.
: I am a designated officer of the Sullustan Constable Brigade. Drop your weapons and surrender, or I’ll be forced to discharge my weapon again.
: I can’t figure out if this Sullustan’s deaf or just stupid.
: Do you see those ears? Sullustans have excellent hearing.

: I told you idiots to watch that door! Do l have to do everything myself? This is none of your business, scum. Get out while you still can.
: Wait, upstanding citizen! Under Article 11807 of the Emergency Service Laws, I hereby deputize you. These men are interfering in a criminal investigation.
: I’m sure if we ask them real nicely they’ll just leave.
: I already encouraged these men to depart peacefully, but they failed to comply. It’s possible they don’t understand Sullustese.

: What’s he saying, captain?
: Shh. I’ll tell you later.
: Please, upstanding citizen. It is your duty to assist a designated peace officer requesting aid.
: Yeah? I don’t stick my neck out for free.
: You will be paid appropriately for your duties as authorized by Amendment 102167 of the Sullustan Good Neighbor Act.
: Well, in that case, I’m feeling mighty civic-minded today.
: Just when I thought this conversation couldn’t get any more ridiculous … Kill them both, men.

: Watch it, Corso! You almost gave me a back-alley rhinoplasty there!
: I don’t know what that means!
: You performed extremely well in the line of duty, deputy. You have more than earned your salary allowance this day.

: Yeah I’m pretty great. You’d be a smoking heap if I hadn’t come along.
: Indigo-rating investigators like myself are not so easy to kill, but you could not have known that. I have not properly identified myself to you. I am Officer Miel Muwn of the Sullustan Constable Brigade.
: My name’s … Tek Jambo. I was just passing through when I heard the commotion.

: You testify your arrival was a coincidence? Interesting. I have come to Coruscant pursuing a dangerous criminal named Skavak. He is wanted by the government of Sullust for high crimes. Skavak stole a priceless relic called the Murustavan Ruby. My duty is to arrest him and retrieve it, even if I must act alone.
: Tell me about this priceless relic. Is it... valuable?
: It is a one-of-a-kind gem as large as your fist, mined from the depths of Sullust millennia ago. We revere it.

: Upstanding citizen, I do not believe your presence here is coincidental. My investigator’s instincts tell me you purposely came to this docking bay.
: I guess you could be right.
: My instincts are rarely wrong, and refusing to agree is not a denial. I propose we cooperate and share resources. Coruscant is large and … confusing. If I turn up any useful leads on Skavak‘s whereabouts, I will contact you. Can I count on you to do the same?
: I’ll take any help I can get.
: I am glad to finally have an ally on this world. Together we will bring that lawbreaker to justice. Your help with these lawbreakers was invaluable. I will contact the local security forces and file an appropriate report with them.

: Keep my name out of that report, all right?
: Your participation will remain confidential. I will assume full responsibility for what happened here. Here is your salary allowance as codified by Article 101173 of the Sullustan Emergency Service Laws. Thank you for your brave service.
: Yeah, uh, no problem.
Let’s not be here when the local security shows up. We don’t have time to answer questions.
: Agreed. Maybe we should go see if Darmas knows anything new about Skavak.

: See? What did I tell you? It’s the captain from Rogun the Butcher’s bounty posting. Are we lucky or what?
: I never doubted you for a second, lover. You’ve always been my lucky star.

: Ugh, you two make me sick. Hold it right there, captain.
: Hey kid, is that a hairstyle or did a womp rat die on your head?

: Did you just ... what ... who do ... shut up!
: I’m actually over here.
: Come on you two. Let’s cremate this fool and get rich!
: Your friends have so much to live for. Why get them killed?
: Ooh, tough talk from a scum on the run. I’m not afraid of you. I’ve got a flamethrower!
: Ease off, Scorch. I have a bad feeling about this captain. He looks like more than we can handle.

: Not man enough for a real challenge? Don't know what you see in this guy, Egara.
: More than you could ever show me. Riloh, this bounty’s worth more money than we earn in a month.
: All right, lover -- but stay behind me. I don’t want you getting hurt over a lousy stack of credits.
: Wake me when you’re done.
: We’re done.

: Let's burn it up! Whooo!

[Six seconds later …]

: What was all that commotion?

: Yeah, sorry man. I had to gun down some idiot horny teenagers who thought they could be bounty hunters in your hallway. My bad.
: No worries, captain. This cantina has an excellent body disposal service on retainer. But please do try and keep the bodies to a minimum.
: I can’t help it if I’m popular with all the wrong people.
: Being famous has its drawbacks, doesn't it? I hear you had an altercation at the spaceport. I take it my lead was worthwhile?
: Turns out there’s a Sullustan lawman chasing Skavak too.
: It's always good to have friends with common interests. While we wait for Skavak to make his next move, perhaps we could play a little sabacc?
: I saw that one coming ...
: Corso, don’t be such a spoilsport. What do you say, captain? First game’s on me.
: What’s the harm in a friendly game of cards?

: Don’t say I didn’t warn you, captain.
: Get us a round of drinks, won't you, Corso? There’s a good man. Let’s deal some cards …

: Go fish.

: Old maid.

: Uhh … crazy eights!
: :aaa:
: :smug:
: :confused:

: Checkmate.

: You win again. That was … very impressive.

[Author’s note: I don’t know if anyone’s ever made rules for sabaac (but I’d guess yes), but if so I certainly don’t know them. Or clearly the rules to any card games. I just find them really boring, okay, grandpa!?]

: Impressive? The captain just cleaned your chrono, Darmas.
: Hmm. I’d say you’ve played this game before.
: I never said I was a beginner.
: Then I’m a victim of my assumptions. Well played, my friend.

[A short time later …]

: So I said, is that a hair style, or ...

: Ah, hold on. I’m receiving an alert from my network. This may be what we’ve been waiting for … Looks like your efforts have paid off, captain. My informants just witnessed Skavak fighting someone and fleeing into Justicars territory. We have him!
: Did your informants say who Skavak was fighting?
: An alien of some sort, according to this report. Very peculiar.
: I guess Mien found him first. Who are these "Justicars?"

: They’re vigilantes -- self-appointed “judges” of a whole city sector. Executioners is more like it. The Justicars don’t tolerate outsiders in their sector. Skavak must truly be desperate to risk his life going there.

: He’s a scared little man running out; of options.
: It would seem so. Justicars are heavily armed ex-soldiers. It's no exaggeration calling them an army. My informants are a brother and sister named Jiik and Juul. They know where to find Skavak. I’ll tell them you're coming.
: Let’s get going, Corso.
: Play your hand carefully in the Justicar sector. My instincts tell me Skavak hasn’t shown all his cards yet.
: That’s good advice, even if the metaphor is a bit heavy handed.
: Good luck to you, captain. I hope you make Skavak pay all his debts.

Hey thread, I’ve got a choice for you to make:

A: I like Miel, he seems like a good dude.
B: gently caress the police.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

A and B are both correct, but let’s go with A.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

DrakePegasus posted:

A and B are both correct, but let’s go with A.

not emptyquoting, signal boosting

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Miel is good people, so A.

And yes of course there are rules for Sabacc. Quickest explanation is draw poker meets blackjack.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

Miel is good people, so A.

And yes of course there are rules for Sabacc. Quickest explanation is draw poker meets blackjack.

That's Pazaak. Sabaak involves your cards changing their values randomly in your hand.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Miel seems like such a goofy bastard that it's hard not to like him. So A, but also gently caress the police on general principle.

MightyPretenders posted:

That's Pazaak. Sabaak involves your cards changing their values randomly in your hand.

Sabacc also involves trying to hit a positive or negative target value like in Blackjack. The card randomizing is functionally the same as draw poker.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 16, 2020

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Miel is a good if naive lawman, we like him. A.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

ACAB.

From the way it's referenced I always just assumed sabacc is space poker.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Nah you play sabacc on Kotor 1 and 2. It's basically blackjack with a side deck you can use to play plus and minus cards

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Siegkrow posted:

Nah you play sabacc on Kotor 1 and 2. It's basically blackjack with a side deck you can use to play plus and minus cards

No, no. That's pazaak. We're talking about sabacc, the totally different made up star wars card game. What kind of super fan are you? I bet you can't even tell me the name of the bartender on nar shadaa in kotor 2.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

No, no. That's pazaak. We're talking about sabacc, the totally different made up star wars card game. What kind of super fan are you? I bet you can't even tell me the name of the bartender on nar shadaa in kotor 2.

I think it's "Bartender".

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

This is Star Wars we're talking about. He probably has at least a paragraph on wookiepedia.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Nobody's called out what I stole the card game bit from yet. First person to do so gets nothing except an over-the-internet high five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Moon Slayer posted:

Nobody's called out what I stole the card game bit from yet. First person to do so gets nothing except an over-the-internet high five.

Fatty Bear’s Fun Pack