Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
No worries! I mean it's no big shock Alias will be in a game that has her loving face on the cover but other than that I don't want to spoil character interactions, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Chokes- FYI I was planning to discuss each villain and cameo character or plot development from the book as we encounter them, and only give total spoilers for Alias and her secrets after we meet her. If I need to alter that plan, or even God forbid let you review my planned posts via PM before I make them, please do let me know. Thanks.

BTW, the book and game are not exactly alike. There are at least 4 monsters in the book that do not appear in the game and several game monsters and encounters likewise have no book parallel.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Huh, the novels are available on the Kindle for $7.99 each. Whelp, not like I'm doing much else during quarantine!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AltaBrown posted:

Huh, the novels are available on the Kindle for $7.99 each. Whelp, not like I'm doing much else during quarantine!

thanks ad&d book division you can send my cut of the royalties along whenever you like

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Just don't read the Baldur's Gate books.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Seyser Koze posted:

Just don't read the Baldur's Gate books.

hahahahahHAHAHAHAHAH.

I never read the second, because I was smart enough to recognize the beginnings of a pattern, even as a kid, after reading the first but wow. The first one really tried to grimdark it up.

Otherwise-pleasant NPC's were suddenly wifebeaters(thus justifying the protagonist not caring when they died and later loving their wives), literally every single recruitable party member featured somehow dies, usually to sudden one-hit-kill stuff like getting jumped by a giant spider or killed by a literal random encounter from ochre jellies(or was it mustard? I forget) or sometimes they're just killed off-screen like Xvar and Montaron.

It was practically unrecognizable as being based on BG1 except for the names.

Supposedly the BG2 book got real weird and greasy once it reached the Drow-related parts of the game.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I read the first BG novel in my misspent 20's, but quickly noped the gently caress out of the second one after just one or two chapters.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PurpleXVI posted:

Supposedly the BG2 book got real weird and greasy once it reached the Drow-related parts of the game.

Almost everything to do with drow in artwork makes me really uncomfortable. It's like the uncanny valley of questionable racism.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

Almost everything to do with drow in artwork makes me really uncomfortable. It's like the uncanny valley of questionable racism.

how exactly is that book like the san joaquin

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PurpleXVI posted:

it did.

Honestly it was also weirdly racist with Yoshimo being basically described as 'yellow' and a small, overweight coward.

And the drow part of the game had the greasy straight men wanting girl-on-girl action.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

All right, all right, I bumped Sternn up a point in INT. I screwed up planning class advancement, because I didn't know a certain class was limited by INT. If I don't edit this stat, we're going to be super duper screwed later on. It has zero effect on anything we did in PoR, so I consider it inbounds. C'mon, I'm giving up paladins and rangers here. You gotta give me this one.

But giving up paladins and rangers was your idea. I still want Justine to become the reluctant holy champion of Our Lady of the Saw! :cheeky:

More seriously, though, I'm not bothered by Sternn's intelligence being higher. What bothers me is that his wisdom isn't LOWER. 15 WIS from Sternn? Really?

quote:

There's literally no reason to go through this fight, but if we wander in and are given the option to (P)unch Barkeep, what the gently caress do you expect us to do?

Even better is that "Punch barkeep" is the FIRST option, presumably selected by default. It's almost as if the developers knew who they were dealing with.

quote:

You tell 'em, short stuff.

That's gonna get old pretty qui—ooohhh, I see what you're doin' there.

<suspicious look>

Were you planning that gag from the beginning?

quote:

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOBONDS.

*draws weapon*

So a bug gave the bonds 99 charisma? Odd excuse for a video game plot...

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 16, 2020

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Slaan posted:

Giving Sternn the eventual power to reshape reality itself will in no way come back to haunt Rezen in a manner similar to the way hat haunts her

Rezen having the power to reshape reality itself is terrifying enough. A girl who makes her apprentice punch random strangers for fun is not someone I ever want learning to cast Wish...

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Hell, Bard's Tale let you port characters over from Ultima (IIRC), and if I still talked to Nakar on a regular basis that would the dream crossover that he'd probably never do!

I don't think I ever realized this. That would be a rather odd crossover! Though not any odder than, say, mixing Captain Sternn and company with the original Wizardry. Not sure what kind of sick madman comes up with stuff like that.

Speaking of Nakar, anyone know what he's been up to lately? Last I heard of him was his MadMaze LP (which I didn't get very far into).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

More seriously, though, I'm not bothered by Sternn's intelligence being higher. What bothers me is that his wisdom isn't LOWER. 15 WIS from Sternn? Really?

Well, he and Hanover always had that fast talking carnie style in the comic books...

quote:

<suspicious look>

Were you planning that gag from the beginning?

Setting Hanover's icon to "Small" was a planned gag, yeah. The joke is for everything Rezen's meddling does right, something else goes awry.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Peanut Butler posted:

how exactly is that book like the san joaquin

poe wrote on both of them!

wait

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Well, he and Hanover always had that fast talking carnie style in the comic books...

Never actually read the comics, so I don't really know what you're referring to. My only exposure has been the movie segment and your LPs.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Never actually read the comics, so I don't really know what you're referring to. My only exposure has been the movie segment and your LPs.

Deffo recommend Running Out of Time, then. It'll help you pick up on the references in Wizardry, plus it's just a fun story. The writing's a little hokey, but it's still great.

e: oh my gods sternn's first appearance was FORTY YEARS AGO

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 16, 2020

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Deffo recommend Running Out of Time, then. It'll help you pick up on the references in Wizardry, plus it's just a fun story. The writing's a little hokey, but it's still great.

Hmm... Amazon has them, but only physical versions and it looks like the full set of 5 will run me over $50 dollars. That's a little steep. I don't suppose there's a cheaper kindle version available somewhere?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Hmm... Amazon has them, but only physical versions and it looks like the full set of 5 will run me over $50 dollars. That's a little steep. I don't suppose there's a cheaper kindle version available somewhere?

Probably not, it's a pretty old comic and there may not be that many of them left in print. :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Curse of the Azure Bonds, Chapter 2: Mandatory Sewer Level

Hey, guys! Sorry I'm late, I was getting a pretzel. What'd I miss?

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOBONDS.

...that's probably not good.

...whahuh?

What just happened?

:gonk: GUARDS, GUAAAAAAAARDS

Huh. Well, I'm just gonna go ahead and blame Sternn.

Dammit, probie! What did you do?!

:grin:

What's up with the random attacks on civilians, anyway? Guards set you up? Evil doppleganger? Shanna finally snapped and went ham on everybody?

Mind control through the tattoos.

And if you didn't run off while our backs were turned, you'd know that.

I REALLY WANTED A PRETZEL OKAY

Today on the Gold Box adventures, we'll have our will overridden by the arcane symbols on our flesh! How very exciting!

The Royal Guard isn't exactly pro-tier—which is concerning, given their station—but they're not pushovers, either. Plus, we're caught without magic gear, so we don't have all those nifty bonuses to THAC0 and damage.

What we do have, however, is HOLD PERSON. We should limit our casts in this fight in case there's more coming, but Shanna picks three guards with one shot, so things are going pretty smoothly already.

Spoilers: There's more coming.

Should we be concerned about the person they're dragging off?

Look, that's kidnapping number three since we got here. It's probably a cultural thing.

Yes. We should be more understanding of other peoples' traditions.

Since when?

NEVER :black101:

Who made her party spokesperson, anyway?

Don't look at me. I'm just over here enjoying my pretzel.

Where did you even get that?

Over there.

...do they have any more?

Nope.

Your reward for beating the guards is more guards! It's the exact same fight as before, right down to a single cast of HP and hitting three of them in one shot. Absolutely nothing to write home about.

Okay, done with my pretzel. Let's motor.

Quick! Head for the alley!

What? Why?

There's always an escape route in the alley!

It's a blind alleyway leading to a dead end. Why on Earth would we aaaand there he goes without us.

Move it! Sternn knows what he's doing!

Wait. You're actually agreeing with him?

Lincoln's an expert at saving his own skin. I'm gonna trust his instincts on this one.

Wow. Not your first rodeo, huh, probie?

:grin:

Believe it or not, these guys are legitimately on our side. The Guild Leader gives you a chance to rest before what's coming, so use it to top off both your HP (Hit Points) and your HP (Hold Person spells).

Note this handy little option in the corner. This is the single most useful addition between any two Gold Box games. Hitting the (F)ix button significantly heals all your characters in a tiny amount of time. Presumably, your priest/ess is doing the memorize-heal-memorize dance in the background, but since it doesn't touch your memorized spells, the game's probably using your top spell tier as a modifier/range. Either way, it's incredibly welcome and saves a ridiculous amount of time. Unless you're in an area where a "No Resting, Ever" edict is in place, you can almost always get away with a single (C)amp -> (F)ix and get valuable HP back. It still doesn't help with memorizing spells, but gift horses and mouths and all.

Great. Sounds like we have plenty of time to prepare a battle plan.

I really do have to stop doing that, huh?

Um, ew.

Um, ew.

He was on our side!

So totally grody.

This fight is annoying as hell. See all those thieves? Approximately 40% of them are affiliated with the thieves' guild (good guys) instead of the Fire Knives (bad guys). How can you tell who's on whose side? You can't! Well, not unless you cursor over them and look at the color of their name. Blue means good guy, yellow means bad guy. You have to plan your fighters' routes ahead of time, or else you'll get nailed from behind multiple times and/or end up walking all that way over to an ally.

Or you can just fireball them all and let Gond sort it out. :black101: Whichever.

Adding a layer of annoyance is their reaction to morale checks. Since these are thieves, they'll run to save their own skin instead of surrendering and promptly end up stuck in a corner on the other side of the battlefield. :ughh: Tucked in a corner like that, they have no hope of escape and only two or three spaces they can be attacked from. If you guessed that low level high THAC0 thieves will immediately rush in and block those spaces from your party members, congratulations, you can recognize basic patterns! Still, it's nothing a little patience (and a magic missle or two) can't handle. Just utterly obnoxious in the meantime.

All things considered, that's a pretty great line to go out on.

*nab*

Journal Entry 4 posted:

This should be very helpful. :hmmyes:

You're holding it upside down again.

Journal Entry 4 posted:

This map is actually really helpful for avoiding fire knife patrols. It's not useful to us now, but it will be here shortly.

Single (F)ix works its magic yet again! We're a fireball down, but whatever. This entire section is pretty goddamn lenient as far as rest stops go. Outwards and onwards!

This is one of the first famous faces we see, and you're not gonna catch her no matter how hard you try. I don't think I'm spoiling anything to say she'll turn up later. I also have no idea what she's doing in the thieves' guild. Just a whole bunch of famous named characters in one place here. I'm all for adding weight and importance to a scenario, but it gets ridiculous after a while.

The Fire Knives also have trained attack animals. You'll face dogs and—I'm being completely serious here—monkeys. The monkeys throw rocks. At least, I think they're rocks. Oh gods, I hope they're rocks.

Equally as obnoxious are these two mages accompanying the monkey army. Fortunately, we have an equalizer.

Kapow?

No, no. You have to put your diaphragm into it.

ka...POW?

Okay, wow. I've got a lot of work in front of me here.

Shanna is using a staff sling, which is basically a two handed sling. I'm going to use that as a segue into how much I like slings.

Everybody loves bows and arrows, but my controversial opinion is that bows and arrows are absolute garbage. Supposedly you get two attacks if you get a kill on the first one, but who cares? They never seem to hit as well as advertised, and you should be using that time to close the distance and shred them with your actual weapons. Most importantly, it takes for-loving-ever to switch back and forth between bows and swords. You have to open (V)iew on the battlefield, go to your inventory, unequip your sword and shield, equip both bow and arrows, and then do your attack. That's a lot of keystrokes. If someone shows up before you get another turn, they get an attack on you while your AC is higher than usual. And, even if you win before they can, you still have to go back through the menus and equip your shield and sword again. This, assuming you remember to do so before the next fight, or you're right back where you started.

No, bows and arrows are idiot garbage for total babies. Slings are where it's at, because:

• They only require one weapon switch
  • They have unlimited ammo
  • They're one handed, so you get to keep your shield equipped (THIS IS THE IMPORTANT ONE)

Sure, it only does 1D4, but that's a very opportunistic 1D4. All you have to do is brain a mage with a single rock, and they're contained for the rest of the round.

I love slings. Slings are good. Use slings.

beep boop, treasure detected

*EXPLODE!*

Might've overdone it a bit.

Probably. Sternn, go take care of that.

:sigh:

Here's the thieves' stash. We need (K)nock to get it open since we don't have 18(00) strength—yet—but Rez just so happens to have a cast conveniently prepared. :ninja: In addition to the Long Sword +1 and Banded Mail +1, both of which are extremely appreciated, there's a red ioun stone. What's an ioun stone? Do you use it in a sling? No, you moron, you equip it! What is wrong with you?

:hydrogen:

When equipped, ioun stones (supposedly) orbit around your dude's head and boost their stats. The red stone here boosts your DEX by 1 point, which helps your AC. Works for me!

Also, the game tells you it's safe to rest here. Presumably, after Sternn fixes the door, the "Nobody Gets In Here" enchantment is reactivated. (This part of the game is incredibly generous with safe rooms, by the way. Enjoy it while it lasts.) Take the opportunity to top up before you head back out there, and then come back again if you need it.

*tap tap*

?

I knew it. There's a secret passageway here!

This must be where the attackers are coming from! Hurry!

*splut*

Oh gross.

Don't you usually freak out about this stuff, Heather?

Nah. I'm totally unsurprised at this point.

Stick with us, li'l lady. You'll build up an immunity to all sorts of things.

Well, here's our sewer level. Every RPG is required to have at least one. I'm going to count Pool of Radiance as well, since Kuto's Well was a water source attached to an underground cavern. That's right, our guys based their entire operation out of a sewer. You can't be that surprised.

As with any RPG sewer, there's an incredible amount of things to find down here. And I'm not just talking about types of excrement!

You're Lorekeeper, Shanna. Have at it.

I'd... really rather not...

Not it

:(

Journal Entry 41 posted:

The paper is heavily soiled, but you can make out, ...Knives untrustworthy, cultists unreliable, wizard insane and T seems very dangerous. Expect little reliability from the New Alliance, especially over the bonded subject. Will need to set up our own observation team. Per...

Pieces of the backstory just floatin' in a pile of crap. I don't even have to write jokes at this point.

You'll note the mention of "T." Remember Filani's words? Our bonds are owned by the Fire Knives, Cultists of Moander, Zhentil Keep (who, by process of elimination, are the ones writing this), some rear end in a top hat wizard, and now "T," whose bond is a big ol' fireball. It's obvious to all but the densest of readers that Tyranthraxus is back. Hopefully, he's not a brass dragon this time! I mean, I already know the answer! But you don't! LOL!

Note there's already a lot going on, and we've been given a healthy chunk of plot from the word go. It's really all flavor text from here on out, but despite my earlier joke, it's very good flavor text. The writing's pretty on point throughout the game, even if some of the bad guys' motivations range from questionable to outright moronic. Which... makes them perfect foils for our party, come to think of it.

While exploring, we come across this thing. We don't have a thief anymore, so sending anyone up there will probably end badly. I'll go ahead and spoil that it's a piece of purple cloth. Remember the woman with the purple sash who got kidnapped earlier by the Fire Knives? Looks like she was the woman screaming in the sewers, and they brought her this way.

Also there's this :stare:

It's debatable whether this is done by some of the monsters down here or a character we'll meet in the next update or two. I honestly go back and forth between them. :shrug:

Jesus. Who needs a sewer this big?

Seriously, this thing is huge. I think it's bigger than the actual city!

You could get lost down here and have enough room to make a home. A really, incredibly disgusting home.

Hell, you could probably form entire civilizations down here.

What, you think there's a bunch of poo poo worshippers down here who literally worship poo poo? Maybe they make poo poo art? And eat poo poo, too?

Now you're just being juvenile.

"poo poo." Tee hee.

Seriously, though. There's no way that—

(Sup.)

Well I'll be damned.

Next Time: ShitQuest

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 21, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yay! New update! :)

Some parallels to Azure Bonds in today’s plot development. In the book, Alias attends a wedding of a nobleman to the daughter of the sage who tells her about her cursed tattoos. Giogi (Joe-Gee) Wyvernspur is a foolish cousin of the groom also at said wedding. He does a great impression of King Azoun of Cormyr making a speech to entertain some friends. Alias hears the impression and immediately tries to kill Giogi. She is subdued by other guests and soon afterward motivated to seek out another sage for more information and possible help than the bride’s father can provide. Obviously the game sets things off a bit differently for our party. Giogi continues to show up in Azure Bonds as comic relief, before upgrading to spinoff protagonist in The Wyvern’s Spur, where he gets more badass. I liked him in that book and was disappointed it didn’t get a sequel. :(

It looks like Giogi is getting kidnapped by Fire Knives here. Gotta applaud them changing their tactics from using the party as assassins. Mind control victims do make a better distraction. Also probably smart of King Azoun to use a sound-alike double as stand in.

The book doesn’t really go into what issue the Fire Knives have with the king, by the way. Just something vague about him outlawing the organization because they’re a murder for hire business. They are thus the least developed of the five antagonists who bonded Alias. We’ll see if the game changes that any.

If I recall correctly, should you surrender, you are broken out of jail by the same thieves you encounter on the streets otherwise. If you refuse their offer of safety, you have to keep ducking guards until you accept another offer or surrender to the guards. Shops and city gates are barred until the sewer dungeon is over, so you better have gear by now.

Ah yes. Fix, Save, Rest to Memorize Spells. You’ll be doing that routine a lot when you play these games.

And the bad guys kidnapped a princess too. Great. She must be the chick in purple since that is the royal color of Cormyr.

We really don’t see a plot in our encounter with the Thieves that explains all the development. Offhand I’d say people who know about our situation are helping us behind the scenes somehow. That halfling with the harp is one of them- readers of Azure Bonds will probably recognize her as Olive, one of Alias’s party members. I’ll speak more about her when she shows up again. For now it seems the Fire Knives in this town are in conflict with the local Thieves Guild and Olive arranged our rescue by said Guild. Now we’re motivated by plot railroad to assist in the rescue of the princess and other kidnap victims.

I enjoyed fighting the dogs and monkeys in this game way more than I should have. :)

The book Fire Knives didn’t have trained animal allies. They were just fighters and rogues of various levels. Alias fought their Assassin Grandfather at the climax but if he had any special tricks we didn’t really see them. Chokes hasn’t talked much about the in-game Fire Knives enemies. They do have some tricks, but for now I’ll just say that they’re decent frontline fighters with mid range Thac0 & AC. They do have Rogue levels though, so you don’t want them backstabbing you. They can also apply bows at range- fireballs and closing the distance gets around that. The ranged attacks from their allied mages are a larger threat- good of Chokes to keep the mages locked down with slings.

And we end with meeting a classic D&D monster- the otyugh. Like Chokes said, they eat and worship poo poo. :D

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 16, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i think all the book talk is sort of spoilery? can we delay it by a couple of updates, at least?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Otyugh are Good Monsters that just want to get along with their poo poo piles. Please don't kill them party :(

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

A corprolith monolith.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sebmojo posted:

i think all the book talk is sort of spoilery? can we delay it by a couple of updates, at least?

We chatted about it briefly last update and I'm still on the fence. I'm okay with book parallels to events we've already seen and backstory chat about characters we've already met, like Olive Ruski or Giorgi or whatever their names are idc. Only thing I ask is people not talk about any characters we haven't already met or give away plot points we haven't seen.

Like the only real reason I got a little miffed at Dragonbait was because that poo poo is rife with gags and knowing how he talks ahead of time spoils them :(

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 17, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

A corprolith monolith.

Corprolith monolith.

Corpolith.

Wait, no. Mono—

well poo poo.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I will let Chokes smack me down if I say anything too spoiler-y and let his advice be my guide. I'm also trying not to say too much about the book if that's what you're worried about. Some of us played the game before reading it- I was one of them- and I understand if that is of issue too. A lot of the parallels only became obvious in retrospect of doing both.

I can't help but wonder if any of the monkeys who escape the Fire Knives find the otyughs' monoliths and dance around them shrieking at the top of their lungs.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Meanwhile, in Secret of the Silver Blades: Run for your lives, motherfuckers, because Rez knows Delayed Blast Fireball :twisted:

achtungnight posted:

I will let Chokes smack me down if I say anything too spoiler-y and let his advice be my guide. I'm also trying not to say too much about the book if that's what you're worried about. Some of us played the game before reading it- I was one of them- and I understand if that is of issue too. A lot of the parallels only became obvious in retrospect of doing both.

I can't help but wonder if any of the monkeys who escape the Fire Knives find the otyughs' monoliths and dance around them shrieking at the top of their lungs.

2001 with Thus Spake Zarathrustra except it's all fart noises

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Slings get one shot per round for 1d4 damage. A magic sling adds its bonus to hit and damage.

Long bows get two shots per round, either against the same target or at a second target if you kill the first. They deal 1d6 damage. Magic bows and magic arrows exist. They are strictly superior weapons but not only do they require two hands, they need ammo. Early in the series, you buy arrows in bundles of 20, each of which takes an inventory slot. But you can merge them. Into stacks with a maximum size of 255 arrows. Which does not divide evenly by 20. Also, arrow stacks with different magical plusses can’t be merged.

In short, they aren’t worth messing with if you mind the extra logistics except for when the Fine Long Bow is introduced, which allows its user to apply their strength damage modifier. By that point, whoever gets the bow will do more damage with the bonus than with the die, and it’s worth messing with arrow management for that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Narsham posted:

Slings get one shot per round for 1d4 damage. A magic sling adds its bonus to hit and damage.

Long bows get two shots per round, either against the same target or at a second target if you kill the first. They deal 1d6 damage. Magic bows and magic arrows exist. They are strictly superior weapons but not only do they require two hands, they need ammo. Early in the series, you buy arrows in bundles of 20, each of which takes an inventory slot. But you can merge them. Into stacks with a maximum size of 255 arrows. Which does not divide evenly by 20. Also, arrow stacks with different magical plusses can’t be merged.

In short, they aren’t worth messing with if you mind the extra logistics except for when the Fine Long Bow is introduced, which allows its user to apply their strength damage modifier. By that point, whoever gets the bow will do more damage with the bonus than with the die, and it’s worth messing with arrow management for that.

on the other hand slings are cool and good and bows are for dorks

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

All things considered, that's a pretty great line to go out on.

I'm a little concerned that the guildmaster may have been W.C. Fields. Or possibly Merlin the Magic Mouse.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Guildmaster's line "I'd rather be in Yulash" was used in Die Hard- "I'd rather be in Philadelphia." I gather the line means "I'm in a very unpleasant place" but I have not heard it anywhere else, so I'm not familiar with the Mickey Mouse or WC Fields references. Enlighten me if you like, please.

Yulash is a place in the Forgotten Realms, a ruined city in the Dalelands with a lot of problems. I will not say more about it than that right now.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

achtungnight posted:

The Guildmaster's line "I'd rather be in Yulash" was used in Die Hard- "I'd rather be in Philadelphia." I gather the line means "I'm in a very unpleasant place" but I have not heard it anywhere else, so I'm not familiar with the Mickey Mouse or WC Fields references. Enlighten me if you like, please.

Yulash is a place in the Forgotten Realms, a ruined city in the Dalelands with a lot of problems. I will not say more about it than that right now.

I'll outsource this one to Wikiquote:

quote:

Here lies W. C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia.

This was an epitaph Fields proposed for himself in a 1925 article in Vanity Fair. It refers to his long standing jokes about Philadelphia (his actual birthplace), and the grave being one place he might actually not prefer to be. This is often repeated as "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia.", or "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." which he might have stated at other times. It has also sometimes been distorted into a final dig at Philadelphia: "Better here than in Philadelphia." Fields' actual tomb at Forest Lawn in Glendale, California simply reads "W. C. Fields 1880–1946".

Emphasis mine, since Hanover is known to be well-read.

Merlin the Magic Mouse was a second-tier Warner Brothers character whose voice was an impression of WC Fields.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'm a little concerned that the guildmaster may have been W.C. Fields. Or possibly Merlin the Magic Mouse.

Never give a sucker an easy break or smarten up a chump.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
*clears throat*

gently caress

BLADES'

ENDGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME :byodood:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yep. The final boss was always a pushover for me, but his guards made things difficult. Hope someday you can show us all what I mean.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

gently caress

BLADES'

ENDGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME :byodood:

I consider the SotSB final boss fight to be the most disappointingly easy of the whole Gold Box era. That may be because the game is brutally punishing on the way there.

Then again, I love the enhanced draconians in Dark Queen of Krynn because it was so restful watching them blow each other up in a chain reaction.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Narsham posted:

I consider the SotSB final boss fight to be the most disappointingly easy of the whole Gold Box era. That may be because the game is brutally punishing on the way there.

Then again, I love the enhanced draconians in Dark Queen of Krynn because it was so restful watching them blow each other up in a chain reaction.

No, the last fight in Pools of Darkness, the last game in the whole series, is the by far the worst because why are you even reading the spoilers bruh, just enjoy this thread that Chokes is working so hard on writing for us, and the grand finale will come in its own time

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

No, the last fight in Pools of Darkness, the last game in the whole series, is the by far the worst because why are you even reading the spoilers bruh, just enjoy this thread that Chokes is working so hard on writing for us, and the grand finale will come in its own time

Spoilers: gently caress pools of darkness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Hitting the (F)ix button significantly heals all your characters in a tiny amount of time. Presumably, your priest/ess is doing the memorize-heal-memorize dance in the background, but since it doesn't touch your memorized spells, the game's probably using your top spell tier as a modifier/range.

Do the results vary depending on the number of healers you have? If you're playing without one, for example, does Fix not do anything?

quote:

*tap tap*

?

I knew it. There's a secret passageway here!

Hey, Sternn's thief abilities are supposed to be offline! No cheating!

quote:

Kapow?

No, no. You have to put your diaphragm into it.

ka...POW?

Okay, wow. I've got a lot of work in front of me here.

No more than one apprentice at a time, Rezen. We've already seen how much damage you can cause with just Sternn.

quote:

Hell, you could probably form entire civilizations down here.

What, you think there's a bunch of poo poo worshippers down here who literally worship poo poo? Maybe they make poo poo art? And eat poo poo, too?

(Sup.)

Well I'll be damned.

Okay, you REALLY need to stop letting me be a bad influence on you.