Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
My personal hope is that they get really cute with it and have Sephiroth be killed halfway through part 2 instead of Aerith. We can't recapture the surprise of losing a hero and having the rest the game be defined by their absence so instead surprise everyone by losing the villain and having everyone be forced to deal with the absence of the villain instead. Just imagine a return to the days of endless online speculation and rumors about ways to resurrect Aeris, only this time it's Sephiroth people want to bring back. Especially if they got really creative with red herrings, both in the actual game and hidden in the data to trip up dataminers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

My personal hope is that they get really cute with it and have Sephiroth be killed halfway through part 2 instead of Aerith. We can't recapture the surprise of losing a hero and having the rest the game be defined by their absence so instead surprise everyone by losing the villain and having everyone be forced to deal with the absence of the villain instead. Just imagine a return to the days of endless online speculation and rumors about ways to resurrect Aeris, only this time it's Sephiroth people want to bring back. Especially if they got really creative with red herrings, both in the actual game and hidden in the data to trip up dataminers.

Would this turn Rufus into the endgame boss? Because that would be interesting to me considering he's a straight up baller in the remake.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

People sure hate those Nier games.

The Nier games/FFXIV Dark Knight quests aren't a remake of an already existing game. It's apples vs oranges.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It'll be time to steal the Huge Materia again but this time Barrett's going to say "wait, why are we doing this?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

The Nier games/FFXIV Dark Knight quests aren't a remake of an already existing game. It's apples vs oranges.

People liked Resident Evil 2 Remake a whole lot too despite it cutting or changing significant portions of the game. Or the Yakuza Kiwami remakes.

The dark secret of the Evangelion movies is that people liked when it was changing things to be more Super Robot and not to be more Evangelion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Funky Valentine posted:

It'll be time to steal the Huge Materia again but this time Barrett's going to say "wait, why are we doing this?"
I figured they were doing it to kill time because it was obviously not even going to kind of work and Shinra basically was doing it to keep people from rioting and looting in the final days. I suspect they will either skip that or do something completely novel with the huge Materia concept.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

People liked Resident Evil 2 Remake a whole lot too despite it cutting or changing significant portions of the game. Or the Yakuza Kiwami remakes.

The dark secret of the Evangelion movies is that people liked when it was changing things to be more Super Robot and not to be more Evangelion.

This might just be me but I uh...never especially cared for Evangelion that much. I always felt the religious imagery was just shallow as gently caress edge lord poo poo.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

LeafyOrb posted:

I think things are going to go sideways during the Nibelheim flashback at the start of the next game and it plays out in some unexpected way.

Dumb speculation but, they're going to push it to the third / fourth game if they're doing that at all, imo.
Just before you go into the Temple of the Ancients.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ImpAtom posted:

People liked Resident Evil 2 Remake a whole lot too despite it cutting or changing significant portions of the game.

Are you think of RE3 Remake? RE2 Remake is incredibly faithful.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

I figured they were doing it to kill time because it was obviously not even going to kind of work and Shinra basically was doing it to keep people from rioting and looting in the final days. I suspect they will either skip that or do something completely novel with the huge Materia concept.

I mean it did work actually, it's just the Meteor promptly reformed which on reflection seems silly but whatever, Barrets actual logic behind stealing the big balls is gently caress Shinra.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Onmi posted:

I have a source mentioning musicals but not "Oh he suddenly stormed in one day and wanted to make XV a musical"

https://www.khinsider.com/news/Nomura-Shimomura-Joint-Interview-for-KH-Orchestra-8752

So like all things Nomura, someone took this as "HE WANTED TO TURN FFXV INTO A MUSICAL BECAUSE HE'S JUST SO ZANY."

Basically, he just wanted to do FF6's Opera scene. Hell, the Honeybee Inn scene in 7RE is kinda a musical scene. It's more Cabaret though.

I wonder what it is about Nomura that give people these extremely specific brain worms where he's turned into the devil of the Final Fantasy franchise who is responsible for anything you don't like and also has these bizarre alleged creative swings that there's no real evidence of.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
drat, Cloud. That's a big rear end materia!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Onmi posted:

I have a source mentioning musicals but not "Oh he suddenly stormed in one day and wanted to make XV a musical"

https://www.khinsider.com/news/Nomura-Shimomura-Joint-Interview-for-KH-Orchestra-8752

So like all things Nomura, someone took this as "HE WANTED TO TURN FFXV INTO A MUSICAL BECAUSE HE'S JUST SO ZANY."

Basically, he just wanted to do FF6's Opera scene. Hell, the Honeybee Inn scene in 7RE is kinda a musical scene. It's more Cabaret though.

Oh this explains the Let It Go sequence in KH3.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Blockhouse posted:

I wonder what it is about Nomura that give people these extremely specific brain worms where he's turned into the devil of the Final Fantasy franchise who is responsible for anything you don't like and also has these bizarre alleged creative swings that there's no real evidence of.

I really don't enjoy the man's work overall, but he's essentially the only creative guy from the glory days actively working on games at Square Enix.

He's an easy target.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Caidin posted:

I mean it did work actually, it's just the Meteor promptly reformed which on reflection seems silly but whatever, Barrets actual logic behind stealing the big balls is gently caress Shinra.

It's magic.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh this explains the Let It Go sequence in KH3.

No, that's just Disney. They basically wrote the Frozen world themselves. Which is why Sora talks to Elsa once at the start of the world, then spends the rest of it climbing and falling down the same mountain. And why at the end of the world, unlike every other world where Sora hits it off with the inhabitants, he just talks to Donald and Goofy.

Blockhouse posted:

If I had to guess, it's because his name is everywhere. Even in the FFXIII games, where all he did was a few character designs. His name is still on the opening menu. I'm pretty sure that has more to do with his contract as an artist, but if he's the first name people see, it's going to sit in their minds. Also, he was made the director of the Advent Children movie, which was the first cast of 'Burned" a lot of people got in Final Fantasy.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 15, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What a bizarre and delightful last chapter friends. Where the gently caress are we going next???

Joke option: given where they left Cloud and Co they could just play the next game entirely straight and not address any of the wild poo poo the last chapter threw out there. I mean, I'm almost entirely convinced Biggs being alive is going to amount to nothing except show us that not everyone from Avalanche was doomed.

That Zack thing though. Whew. Extremely bonkers. I'm going to be as thirsty for more info about the next game as Jessie is for Cloud.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Clarste posted:

It's magic.

Yeah, I guess.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Blockhouse posted:

It's a weird kind of nerd mindset where people who love immersing themselves in fiction are constantly chasing the dragon of being 12 and enjoying a game or movie in a way you never really can again once you gain critical capacity and become aware of your own mortality in adulthood, and when a series or franchise that used to bring them joy no longer connects in the same way they need to blame someone rather than shift their gaze inward so they fixate on whatever the biggest name associated with it is. These are people that don't have any experience actually creating anything or understand the process of making a collaborative piece of media but they do love trivia and arguing online, so they read factoids like "Nomura talked about the idea of putting musical numbers in a game once" and between not understanding the concept of brainstorming/rough drafts and a game of telephone it eventually becomes "Nomura the hack fraud tried to make the entire game be a musical and single handedly ruined it forever with his bad ideas and despotic control over the studio".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Onmi posted:

Also, he was made the director of the Advent Children movie, which was the first cast of 'Burned" a lot of people got in Final Fantasy.

Of course you could say the same thing about Horonobu Sakaguchi and Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within but the people who are old enough to need to scapegoat Nomura for why Final Fantasy games aren't as fun as they are when they were 12 are old enough to be nostalgic for the games Sakaguchi made so they have no such axe to grind.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

It's a weird kind of nerd mindset where people who love immersing themselves in fiction are constantly chasing the dragon of being 12 and enjoying a game or movie in a way you never really can again once you gain critical capacity and become aware of your own mortality in adulthood, and when a series or franchise that used to bring them joy no longer connects in the same way they need to blame someone rather than shift their gaze inward so they fixate on whatever the biggest name associated with it is. These are people that don't have any experience actually creating anything or understand the process of making a collaborative piece of media but they do love trivia and arguing online, so they read factoids like "Nomura talked about the idea of putting musical numbers in a game once" and between not understanding the concept of brainstorming/rough drafts and a game of telephone it eventually becomes "Nomura the hack fraud tried to make the entire game be a musical and single handedly ruined it forever with his bad ideas and despotic control over the studio".

Yeah but...isn't essentially defying the idea of fate and making it so anything can happen in this game kind of reigniting that childhood wonder? I mean I'm personally very excited at the idea characters I loved in the first game who had minimal or crappy representation now have a shot at getting some juicy content. I guess I'm just puzzled at the frothing nerd rage of it not being completely accurate to the source. In a lot of ways it's loving better!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Frankly making the entire game a musical sounds like a genius idea and I'm sad that Nomura didn't come up with it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished the game just now.

This was great. It really gets what was good about the original game, and in general the additions were positive and engaging. It took 5 years, but they made a worthy remake. :unsmith: Of the Midgar chapter, anyway.

I heard people don't like the ending. It's kinda cheesy, I agree, but it's not outright awful. I more or less get what it's going for - the game knows it's a remake, and the entire point of the Whispers and the destiny thing is a riff on that. Kind of like, it's hedging its bets if the rest of the game never gets remade. I doubt that the Whispers will matter much at all after this game, cause they're more for the audience and fans of the original game, and for the developers coping with remaking a very popular classic game.

At first I thought they were doing an alternate timeline story, but it looks like it's almost the same as the original in the end, just with some extra details and the game recognizing that it's a remake.

I really do wonder what happens next.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I think Nomura just became (for whatever reason) the public face of the compilation of FF7 stuff, which was basically all garbage and you could easily point to dumb stuff like the Gackt character, along with Kingdom Hearts, which became garbage over time as the story continued to crawl up its own rear end over nearly 20 years, like some kind of reverse ouroboros.

People aren't quite as aware of Nojima, Tabata, Kitase, who all were equally or more culpable for the stinkers.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Finished the game just now.

This was great. It really gets what was good about the original game, and in general the additions were positive and engaging. It took 5 years, but they made a worthy remake. :unsmith: Of the Midgar chapter, anyway.

I heard people don't like the ending. It's kinda cheesy, I agree, but it's not outright awful. I more or less get what it's going for - the game knows it's a remake, and the entire point of the Whispers and the destiny thing is a riff on that. Kind of like, it's hedging its bets if the rest of the game never gets remade. I doubt that the Whispers will matter much at all after this game, cause they're more for the audience and fans of the original game, and for the developers coping with remaking a very popular classic game.

At first I thought they were doing an alternate timeline story, but it looks like it's almost the same as the original in the end, just with some extra details and the game recognizing that it's a remake.

I really do wonder what happens next.

Considering this thing is just straight up going to print money I don't doubt they're going to see it through to the end.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I think a lotta people feel more "burned" by Kingdom Hearts and equate that angst with Nomura more than their lost childhood or w/e...like...why are there so many Kingdom Hearts is bad videos on YouTube for instance?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Toriyama is also a good scapegoat because woof ff13 and its sequels

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MoaM posted:

Are you think of RE3 Remake? RE2 Remake is incredibly faithful.

No, I'm thinking of RE2. Among the things I've seen brought up are:

The A and B scenarios don't interact the way they do in the same game.
The final laboratory area is extremely trimmed down and has quite a few things removed.
Weapons (like the crossbow) removed from the game entirely.
Plot changes like Sherry's pendent no longer containing a G-Virus sample and Chief Irons being full-on evil from the moment you meet him instead of having one 'creepy' moment and various other things that people say ruins elements of the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whispers are FF7 fans and Jessie's leg is not killing Wedge.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Clarste posted:

As for Cloud not going to reactor 5, in the original game Jessie's leg was still injured from reactor 1 (where a piece of rubble landed on her) and in this one she was fine for some reason even though the same thing happened. And then the ghosts showed up to make sure she sprained her ankle as she was supposed to.

I do kinda wish that the "straying from canon" thing had a force pushing it within the story itself, kind of like...some game or anime whose name I can't remember right now. As it is now, it feels like it would just confuse newcomers, even though the old guard are like "heh I get it".

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Calaveron posted:

Toriyama is also a good scapegoat because woof ff13 and its sequels

It's a good thing they marketed that game so well; could've been a disaster of a game, imo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So wait, about Zack: doesn't he actually beat all the enemies in the original but then get sniped when he thinks he's fine? It's possible that he still died.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

No, I'm thinking of RE2. Among the things I've seen brought up are:

The A and B scenarios don't interact the way they do in the same game.
The final laboratory area is extremely trimmed down and has quite a few things removed.
Weapons (like the crossbow) removed from the game entirely.
Plot changes like Sherry's pendent no longer containing a G-Virus sample and Chief Irons being full-on evil from the moment you meet him instead of having one 'creepy' moment and various other things that people say ruins elements of the game.

I hope you're not being willfully dense and can understand the difference between this and "we're creating a new timeline/alternate universe."

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
It was touched upon here before I believe, but I do think the ghosts you fight at the end of the game are indeed the Advent Children villains, rather than the future versions of Cloud/Tifa/Barret. Just look at how Whisper Rubrum wields his sword: it's on his left hand. Shouldn't the sword be on his right if it were a future Cloud? Kadaj wields his sword with the left hand.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pollyanna posted:

So wait, about Zack: doesn't he actually beat all the enemies in the original but then get sniped when he thinks he's fine? It's possible that he still died.

Nope, he's eventually killed through human wave tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cVjyc46eRQ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I hope you're not being willfully dense and can understand the difference between this and "we're creating a new timeline/alternate universe."

If your complain is "a reboot creates a new timeline/universe" then I'll point you to like... half the reboots on the market. Tomb Raider isn't the same as classic Tomb Raider which wasn't the same as Tomb Raider Anniversary.

The fact that it was justified 'in-canon' also doesn't change much because that is fairly popular too, even outside of games, like how Star Trek justified its new universe through plot bullshit

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ymgve posted:

Was it ever explained who it was that killed the guards when you go to steal the bomb materials? Doesn't seem like something Roche would do, and the Avalanche guys come there later so it couldn't have been them.

A little late but the ones who took out the guards was Avalanche, a whole team of them storm the warehouse right after the Roche fight. I think Biggs even says as much. Barret's cell is considered violent extremists so they don't get a lot of communication from the main organization in things like so their presence is surprise.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
What exactly was the point of Crisis Core?...

Like...why does it exist? Advent Children is like a direct sequel almost, what did Crisis Core add?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So wait, did the Whispers actually get defeated at the end, or did they just disperse/stop loving with the party? Especially since you just end up fighting a Sephiroth afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MoaM posted:

What exactly was the point of Crisis Core?...

Like...why does it exist? Advent Children is like a direct sequel almost, what did Crisis Core add?

Crisis Core was specifically to fill in Zack's history and backstory, which was largely undocumented since the only real time you see him are in brief flashbacks and one completely optional scene that wasn't even in the original Japanese release of FF7.

It actually does a really good job of it, stupid Gackt stuff aside. Zack's personality and character is really well developed and he ends up being something more than just "that guy who died" which in turn actually does a fairly good job of adding extra weight to Cloud's history and friendship. It was enough to turn him from an obscure nobody to a guy who generally ranks fairly highly on FF popularity lists.

It also lends some backstory/world building to other stuff, some of which is stupid and some of which actually does a nice job of fleshing out empty periods of the story (like the war with Wutai.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 15, 2020