Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
waiting for Crest Darlie to come out with new overnight Teeth Blackening strips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Tbh, it can be hard to find something that doesn't already have a whitening cream inside it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mozi posted:

waiting for Crest Darlie to come out with new overnight Teeth Blackening strips

quote:

In 1985 after Colgate-Palmolive acquired Hawley & Hazel, significant controversy erupted over the brand in the U.S., to which Colgate CEO Ruben Mark responded by issuing an apology, replacing the English name of the toothpaste to "Darlie" in 1989, and altering the image on the packaging to show a racially ambiguous face in a top hat to avoid racial misunderstanding. However, the Chinese name of the brand, "黑人牙膏" (in English, "Black Person Toothpaste"), remains the same, and a Chinese-language advertising campaign reassured customers that "Black Person Toothpaste is still Black Person Toothpaste".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

https://twitter.com/BlackLivityCN/status/1248675545078009856

I like how this woman's logic makes the dudes completely pause, dumbstruck.

waifu ♡

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The dumbest RomCom for the dumbest timeline.

https://twitter.com/wilfredchan/status/1249813418640642048
https://twitter.com/wilfredchan/status/1249925614053834753

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Someone hoisted an actual Chinazis flag!

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12145166

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Never thought there'd be a legit use for :roboluv: but here we are.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Flannelette posted:

Also Asian skin tans really well from only a short time in the sun and the tan last for ages, I went out one time with a friend and I got lightly redded and she is still has the tan lines months later.

My wife loses her bikini lines about a week before she can wear it again. It's funny (cute) to see that she still has the "light patch" on her butt in May/June. She used to be of the "vampire" point of view, and would avoid any type of sunshine like the plague, but now she enjoys getting a little bit of a tan. Her mother still dons 7 layers of clothes and hats, and face cream whenever the sun comes out, because she thinks that she's somehow going to pull a hail Mary and turn fair and wrinkle free in her mid-60s.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Racism against Vietnamese is less of a race thing (North Vietnamese are Cantonese by a different name) and more of a historical thing. Stop looking at it teleologically, Vietnam has been China's kidnap and rape playground throughout history. The discrimination comes from a place of historical imperialism that predates Western colonialism.

Also, Chinese society probably met black Africans before they met white Europeans. There's a long history of Africans south of the Nile ending up in Western Oriental armies, armies that China has fought with many times over the centuries.

China is a colonial state. It was practicing imperialism when Europe was still a jungle full of apes that hadn't figured out agriculture. It's an amorphous blob that crawls across the landscape, assimilating and sinocizing everything unlucky enough to be nearby. It's been doing that for 6000 years. The idea thay it can't develop racism on its own is ludicrous, when it has demonstrably developed its own versions of everything short of the industrial revolution, independently of the west.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/tony_zy/status/1250107905426292738?s=20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Whatever do you mean?

Don't cite the goddamned Daily Mail.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Shadow0 posted:

Today I saw on TV here in Korea a white women with layers and layers of skin whitening on.

I know another foreigner, she's been here only two years, and I saw her profile picture for the first time yesterday and she's also got just the thickest whitening stuff all over her face. It's so - I don't even know. It just seems weird. I wonder how much of it is trying to fit in, and how much of it is actually appreciating the look.

When I was in Japan, a friend of mine did the geisha dress up thing with what amounted to basically solid white paint on her face, and it's so tremendously unsettling-looking.

The funniest thing though is when you see body builders with their dark muscle oil on, and then this solid line where their face begins which is starkly whitened.

I think they should bring back teeth blackening.

White skin, brown hair, and black teeth - the whole rainbow! 🌈

Every time the skin-whitening conversation comes up, it always reminds me of this:

GOB posted:

She wanted to look 48. I nearly airbrushed her into oblivion. Ended up checking ‘albino’ on the form.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrigadierSensible posted:

If the Chinese racism against Africans is anything like India's it could be as simple as dark skin = bad, light skin = good.

This is true everywhere in East Asia yeah. My darker skinned Korean friends got endless poo poo about how they couldn't really be Korean because their skin isn't light enough.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Kharnifex posted:

Just wait till Africans realise that eating Chinese is the cure to corona virus

This would be a great sport to gamble on.

I did wanna reply on the previous page that various African diplomats have spoken up, and to some degree been taken seriously.

I'm guessing the Chinese businesses and people distributed throughout Africa being at stake helped them see the light.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I heard that particular mcdonalds is taking half of a whole day for diversity and bias training.

I was worried they'd just deploy some kind of meaningless gesture.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
So uh, Trump just halted all US funding to the WHO

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/politics/donald-trump-world-health-organization-funding-coronavirus/index.html

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It continues to amaze me Trump is unflinchingly both right and wrong while using all the wrong reasons.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

isn't this just pushing that organization further into china's arms? the guy is an idiot

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You are assuming WHO is still fit for purpose. We need a WHO but what we got sure isn't it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

oohhboy posted:

You are assuming WHO is still fit for purpose. We need a WHO but what we got sure isn't it.

Giving China proportionately more influence by cutting funding in a Trumpian hissy fit is the absolute wrong approach.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

oohhboy posted:

yes burning everything down is exactly what will save lives at this moment. very wise

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Giving China proportionately more influence by cutting funding in a Trumpian hissy fit is the absolute wrong approach.

I know he sucks but what would the right approach be? To not cut funding, but just tell them to please stop shilling for the chinese government and maybe bro down with taiwan if it's not too much trouble?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Relayer posted:

I know he sucks but what would the right approach be?

a bunch of boring diplomacy stuff that nobody in the current administration has any idea how to do

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the US as the largest contributor has the most leverage. we can wait to do that until we're not in the middle of an active pandemic

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mozi posted:

the US as the largest contributor has the most leverage. we can wait to do that until we're not in the middle of an active pandemic

The unwillingness to throw a tantrum and pull funding at any given time is likely to be why the US doesn't actually have the most leverage.

Edit: Though it wouldn't surprise me too much right now, sounds pretty on brand for Trump.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 15, 2020

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Fight hissy fits with hissy fits.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

The unwillingness to throw a tantrum and pull funding at any given time is likely to be why the US doesn't actually have the most leverage.

you're arguing for defunding the WHO in the middle of a pandemic

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
it's pretty lol that china has owned the us so hard here that america actively dynamiting its soft power empire is being cheered on by american nationalists

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

it's pretty lol that china has owned the us so hard here that america actively dynamiting its soft power empire is being cheered on by american nationalists

actually it really sucks!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

oohhboy posted:

They still make useful statistic things for all sorts of public health things which would be very bad if they couldn't afford to now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

tractor fanatic posted:

Mozi posted:

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

A valuable first step in defunding the rest of the UN.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mozi posted:

Actually, I think defunding them outright would be a pretty dumb move - the threat of reducing funding if reforms aren't made would be more effective pandemic or not. Anyway, once the funding is pulled the influence is gone.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Savage For The Winjun posted:

A valuable first step in defunding the rest of the UN.

you're stupid

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
In your frenzy to dirt all over that cretin POTUS, y'all are missing the point here. The WHO has proven itself less than useless. Look at their performance with SARS, or Ebola, especially the Wuhan virus, and if they stay in the loop they'll be obstructionist and overall useless the next time Chinar burps out another pandemic.
Just another terminally corrupted U.N. endeavour.

Read about that Tedros dude, and how he became the head honcho of the WHO.

There's another thing about this Covid Wuhan Winnie the Flu that really makes me salty. My favourite band's name and identity is being sullied by those incompetent twats.
There, I said it.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Warbadger posted:

Actually, I think defunding them outright would be a pretty dumb move - the threat of reducing funding if reforms aren't made would be more effective pandemic or not. Anyway, once the funding is pulled the influence is gone.

It's a stay on funding not actually defunding them. Only congress can do that, whereas the President can hold it up for review for something like a month before it forces a vote from Congress. Of course congress loves nothing more than handing more power to the president at any available opportunity so who knows. Still, as everyone is finding out, having your paycheck delayed by a month or two can be pretty loving hard. At least they managed to specifically call out some of the WHO putting out false information on behalf of China even if most of the talking points weren't stupid.

C'est la vie.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Warbadger posted:

China, with a poo poo ton more people than us pays 40 million and we've been paying 400 million. Consider what just happened. The WHO let us down. Screw 'em until they get their act together. Find another cash cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

If China just wanted a WHO that's all China, they would have built the org themselves. The fact that it was an ostensibly international body was what gave them so much clout by being the ones who pull the strings. Without the US funding, it's just leftovers.

That said, I do think the better move would have been to give a very stern and clear warning first. Something along the lines of "1.) apologize for letting China lead you down this path, 2.) don't do it again, 3.) let Taiwan participate" but of course this is Trump we're talking about. Hell, he'll probably pull a full 180 on this 2 weeks from now.