Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1250225462888017920

It is great that come the 2024 elections that RWM and Rs are going to black hole W and DJT and that everything bad from 2000-2024 was the black guy's fault

Edit: https://twitter.com/MikeMadden/status/1250225340875771906

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nick Soapdish posted:

It is great that come the 2024 elections that RWM and Rs are going to black hole W and DJT and that everything bad from 2000-2024 was the black guy's fault

STOP BEING SUCH A GIGANTIC loving BABY

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nick Soapdish posted:

There's plenty of C-SPAM types who will happily assist them.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

PeterCat posted:

Don't Marines have Bics and Barbasol?

This ls true but also lampshades the bigger problem with marines

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

STOP BEING SUCH A GIGANTIC loving BABY

It's going to work lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The talking point will in short order be reduced to "DJT gave all americans 1200 of his own money" and the chuds will repeat it and believe it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Milo and POTUS posted:

The talking point will in short order be reduced to "DJT gave all americans 1200 of his own money" and the chuds will repeat it and believe it.

Well you've also got this bullshit thrown in,
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1250076302180102145

Something tells me that won't go over well with some chuds.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's plenty of C-SPAM types who will happily assist them.

Blaming Obama for all this is the new broke brain hottness

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe putting Trump’s name on it will scare the banks away because they think it’ll bounce.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Buttcoin purse posted:

If Trump ever leaves office, and then gets indicted, he's going to sign a plea agreement that's meant to say "he and his associates are immune from further prosecution for these crimes", but they're going to leave out the word "these" and they're all just going to be able to do anything they want for the rest of their lives.

Saw that Hank Steinbrenner died, and stumbled onto a NYT article from 1990 that uses Trump as a foil. ''He (Robert Nederlander) knows how to run a business. You hire good people. He knows the smart from the phonies. He's wealthy beyond imagination, like a brilliant player. And not the Trump kind of artificial wealth."

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I find it hilarious that Trump can even gently caress up corruptly shoving his name on checks.

"Payment checks delayed due to Trump requiring his name on them" is just the dumbest thing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i guess he's desperate for any kind of positive press

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

poo poo, any barracks everywhere has a Joe with a pair of clippers.

I was that guy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

meanwhile, jacinda continues to show trump what an actual leader looks like

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/121027864/ministers-to-take-20-per-cent-pay-cut

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just always have clippers. I may not have cut my hair in 3.5 years, but I still have a set, probably two. I never cut anyone elses' hair, just put a guide on and went to town on myself.

I'm working on a Jeff Bridges in the Men Who Stare at Goats look.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

meanwhile, jacinda continues to show trump what an actual leader looks like

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/121027864/ministers-to-take-20-per-cent-pay-cut

Trump can't afford to take that kind of pay cut, he has a family, and Eric, to feed!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

If they're exempt from legal action that means someone can publish a list of who they are and what their crimes in the Epstein heinous crime ring were right? Or would that still be libel? Someone has to have a list of these fuckers the casually publish.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

If they're exempt from legal action that means someone can publish a list of who they are and what their crimes in the Epstein heinous crime ring were right? Or would that still be libel? Someone has to have a list of these fuckers the casually publish.

Given the international nature of these crimes surely some other foreign jurisdictions might be able to take a shot at some of them?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Flying_Crab posted:

Given the international nature of these crimes surely some other foreign jurisdictions might be able to take a shot at some of them?

... why would they?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

idk, child sex trafficking and rape is kind of frowned upon in most places?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nick Soapdish posted:

Edit: https://twitter.com/MikeMadden/status/1250225340875771906

Chuds I know are always saying that social welfare programs amount to the Demoncraps buying votes from the public, but I bet the Trumpbux gambit will be fine and cool

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Flying_Crab posted:

Some of their elites (Prince Andrew, etc) will also be involved and will exert similar pressures on their host governments not to pursue legal action.

“Enough money to drive a Lamborghini” used to be an aspiration, now it’s “enough money to gently caress kids and get away with it” that future generations will dream of.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

The guy who has done more prison time than anyone else in this fiasco is the butler who leaked the black book, for stealing the black book.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Flying_Crab posted:

when the ruling class and intelligence community are heavily involved there are risks to doing anything more about it than frowning

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Flying_Crab posted:

I thought so too until I found out about Epstein

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

“Enough money to drive a Lamborghini” used to be an aspiration, now it’s “enough money to gently caress kids and get away with it” that future generations will dream of.

I feel like money isn’t the barrier to people loving kids and getting away with it. Most certainly it’s not a barrier for the many people who gently caress kids and do not get away with it.

Rapists come in every color, shape, and income bracket. If it turns out your more likely to be a rapist because your rich, well we know how to fix THAT, don’t we?

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 15, 2020

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Godholio posted:

Saw that Hank Steinbrenner died, and stumbled onto a NYT article from 1990 that uses Trump as a foil. ''He (Robert Nederlander) knows how to run a business. You hire good people. He knows the smart from the phonies. He's wealthy beyond imagination, like a brilliant player. And not the Trump kind of artificial wealth."

From Dave Barry's history of the US, published in 1989:

The man has been a punchline for at least 5/7ths of his life.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That's a spicy take, which lots of people have poured additional hyperbole into.
The NPA says:

quote:

the United States also agrees that it will not institute any criminal charges against any potential co-conspirators of Epstein, including but not limited to, Sarah Kellen, Adriana Ross, Lesley Groff, or Nadia Marcinkova.
(Those four were his employees who helped procure girls)

As the tweet noted, it's the people involved in Epstein's child sex trafficking ring ["pilots, Ghislaine, his demonic harem"] that are covered by the agreement. NOT the people who had sex with the girls.

As the tweet fails to note, state charges are 100% unaffected by the agreement. This applies both to the procurers who are federally protected by the agreement as well as the federally unprotected people who had sex with the girls. Unless the sex happened on a military base or National Park, jurisdiction for rape, lewd molestation, etc. is going to be with a state anyway.

M_Gargantua posted:

At least in the US, truth is a defense to libel.
It's already been published.

e:

Flying_Crab posted:

What nations for what crimes?
Most nations don't claim extraterritorial jurisdiction quite as happily as the US does.
ee: Though the UK does, for sex crimes that would be crimes in the UK.
eee:Though the age of consent there is 16, and Prince Andrew's accuser says she was 17 when they had sex.

And now I feel dirty, and not in a good way.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 15, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...51-67837b47f6bb

The Germans have written up an excellent piece on murrica

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

joat mon posted:

That's a spicy take, which lots of people have poured additional hyperbole into.
The NPA says:

(Those four were his employees who helped procure girls)

As the tweet noted, it's the people involved in Epstein's child sex trafficking ring ["pilots, Ghislaine, his demonic harem"] that are covered by the agreement. NOT the people who had sex with the girls.

As the tweet fails to note, state charges are 100% unaffected by the agreement. This applies both to the procurers who are federally protected by the agreement as well as the federally unprotected people who had sex with the girls. Unless the sex happened on a military base or National Park, jurisdiction for rape, lewd molestation, etc. is going to be with a state anyway.

At least in the US, truth is a defense to libel.
It's already been published.

e:

What nations for what crimes?
Most nations don't claim extraterritorial jurisdiction quite as happily as the US does.
ee: Though the UK does, for sex crimes that would be crimes in the UK.
eee:Though the age of consent there is 16, and Prince Andrew's accuser says she was 17 when they had sex.

And now I feel dirty, and not in a good way.

Dude, I feel you. I crack ping’d hard on the Epstein shut because child abuse/sex crimes really loving get to me.

I highly recommend not reading about it. Like, at all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...51-67837b47f6bb

The Germans have written up an excellent piece on murrica

Ein spiegel, darkly.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
So it's still early reports and stuff but it looks like smoking/nicotine might actually help with surviving the roni

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois...ingawful.com%2F

So that means most of the military is fine right

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Hot Karl Marx posted:

So it's still early reports and stuff but it looks like smoking/nicotine might actually help with surviving the roni

The federal government just upped the smoking age to 21 though a few months ago, right? Sucks to be junior enlisted then, and goddamn 2020 just gets more bizarre by the minute

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Going scorched Earth on my lungs via cigars to deny the Corona a beachhead

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Didn't most of the chinese cases of covid have a high crossover with mostly men that smoked? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere. That and asians have a really low lung cancer rate.

I'm more curious about the effects of weed and covid.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Outside of serious lung conditions and age, obesity appears to be the biggest risk factor for ending up in the hospital and getting critically ill when you catch covid.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20057794v1

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Given the gender breakdown of smoking in china (Hugely skewed towards males) wouldn't a protective effect from smoking cause the disease to skew to female victims (Not at all the case as far as I'm aware)? Seems far more likely that the collection method is flawed or something to me. Especially when one of the biggest factors in the death rates is having another respiratory illness.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Outside of serious lung conditions and age, obesity appears to be the biggest risk factor for ending up in the hospital and getting critically ill when you catch covid.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20057794v1

Rip me

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Jaguars! posted:

Given the gender breakdown of smoking in china (Hugely skewed towards males) wouldn't a protective effect from smoking cause the disease to skew to female victims (Not at all the case as far as I'm aware)? Seems far more likely that the collection method is flawed or something to me. Especially when one of the biggest factors in the death rates is having another respiratory illness.

Nah, there's already talk of just being a man being a risk factor in and of itself. Something about chromosomes that's way over my head, save the part where two X chromosomes equals out to, I guess, 'more immune system (and also more autoimmune disorders)' for women.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Didn't most of the chinese cases of covid have a high crossover with mostly men that smoked? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere. That and asians have a really low lung cancer rate.

I'm more curious about the effects of weed and covid.

No. The prevalence of smokers among COVID patients wasn't really all that much higher than any other demographic. They were said to have worse outcomes, but those studies didn't mention age, number of pack years, or whether or not those patients also had COPD. Someone who smokes without COPD is already in a much better starting position than someone with, even if they might not be in the best shape.

Additionally, in Italy, the prevalence of women smoking is notably much higher, and there wasn't a sudden spike in female patients there, either. If smoking was really a near-automatic fail state, a lot more women would have straight-up died in Italy, and they didn't.

It's one of the curiosities of this whole thing. I've been expecting to see more poo poo about Smoking Bad, but most of them just say 'well outcomes were worse,' and I've yet to see any real data on ages/etc. If it was clear across the board - as in, here's this 20 year old that vapes/smokes (x) amount of nicotine a day - the language used wouldn't be so fuzzy*. I think people are just assuming the obvious - smoking bad - and using what little is known as a reason to encourage people to quit.

I mean, it's not bad advice, and I'm not going to stake my life on a single study, or my own admittedly unscientific observations of the data I've put together on my own, but the answer on smoking is a rare 'jury's out on that,' because nicotine may, yes, have positive effects in this case.

* EDIT: I say this because anti-tobacco lobbies get turbo-boners when young people die in a way that implicates anything nicotine related. Trust me, they'd chew their own arm off for the chance to shout those stats through a megaphone. Currently, they're just using the really limited dataset from China. But then again, so is the study, so.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Jaguars! posted:

From Dave Barry's history of the US, published in 1989:

The man has been a punchline for at least 5/7ths of his life.

I found this in a Quigman's collection, a comic strip that I don't even know was really popular, or much of anything about, really. It's about thirty years old or so. I think I posted this in a previous thread iteration, but it remains relevant.