Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

In the process of moving my mason bee house outside from winter storage I left it in my living room for too long so a bee hatched and was hanging out on a wall by the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Who doesn’t like a rainy day?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Herpers, I need help identifying a little noodle friend I came across on a nature walk today! I'm in eastern Massachusetts.

Got some video of my clumsy, goofy rear end chasing and gushing over how cute the snake is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcgqZfaa4i4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_8gMkleaWg

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dekay's brown snake, Storeria dekayi--they're harmless little worm and slug eaters. If you google the name you can see the coloration is highly variable; your one there is pretty stripey but hte majority of the ones i've seen have been spotted, for example

Edit- it's possible it's a closely related species, Storeria occipitomaculata but the only way I know of to tell them apart is that S. occipitomaculata has a bright orange belly

the yeti fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 8, 2020

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Hey I've got some snake videos I don't think I've ever posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZzbcWEBpww

Racers really are fast. I see them almost on a daily basis but ~70% of the time I don't "see" them so much as get the impression of their form before they're already gone and/or camouflaged under the grass & forbs. There were actually 3 racers in this video but one of them was either too shy or too smart to let me film him at an orgy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjxT6Shq5jQ

We stumbled on this dude in the middle of stuffing face and likely cost him his lunch for the sake of posterity. Not pictured: him rolling down a ditch into a shallow stream after not looking where he was going while trying to escape us. I feel bad about it, rattlesnakes are lovely gentle creatures who just want to be left alone. Except for that one, you know who you are and what you did.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I hate to interrupt snakechat but I found my little buddy roly-polies and slimeshellies! :3: Yes, I'm a literal child in my brain when it comes to bugs and poo poo still.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Pill bugs :3:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I moved from the West Coast to the South and I love seeing regional snail differences. In California they're golf ball sized Platonic Ideal Shell guys, where I live now they're itty bitty guys, and those ones are flat guys!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I found this stuck to a log. Cocoon, maybe? I dunno what it is. Any help in identifying would be appreciated!

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Both taken by me in the last week

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

Both taken by me in the last week

He looks lost.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I was going to say "concussed."

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

I think the picture was snapped right at the moment he realized I was there in my car after I rolled down my window.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What laid the eggs?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think a turkey's the only thing that big and that dumb?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Nah, turkey eggs are speckled with brown dots. Those are some dirty eggs, but not in the way turkey eggs look.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wouldn't rule out turkey without a closer look. They vary a lot in speckling.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mordja posted:

He looks lost.

He forgot something at home.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

What laid the eggs?

Probably a larger domestic duck breed or a goose.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Domestic something would make sense. There aren't many wild ground-nesting birds that are comfortable enough around humans to just lay their eggs that close to a road.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Look like goose eggs, and geese are awful parents who will lay their eggs anywhere and wander off without ever giving them a second thought, if they don't trample all over them first.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Enfys posted:

Look like goose eggs, and geese are awful parents who will lay their eggs anywhere and wander off without ever giving them a second thought, if they don't trample all over them first.

at what point is it ok to eat them

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

poverty goat posted:

at what point is it ok to eat them
That depends entirely on how crunchy you like your eggs.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mr. Fowl posted:

I found this stuck to a log. Cocoon, maybe? I dunno what it is. Any help in identifying would be appreciated!

Definitely a cocoon. About how big was it would you guess?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

What laid the eggs?

geese

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Kinda sucks I only just found this thread. I am often blessed with the presence of plenty of critters in the suburban Midwest. I’ll be parsing my backlog for any other possible thread contributions later today.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I recently have lucked into a job that is still active, and deals with outdoor birds in southern California. I've been posting in the pet bird thread about the friends I am making but perhaps you folks would appreciate a crosspost. Sorry for the huge.

Chaosfeather posted:

In celebration of the probations and feathers (and me getting my humble job back) I present to you

BOTHERED

BIRDS

BONANZA

These are all going to be brown-headed cowbirds as the traps were reset when we thought we were closing for a while.

The males are brown-headed with black iridescent bodies otherwise.

We do clip their wings when we get new ones, as we are trying to manage the species and don't want escapees.

Was taught two holds for this job, both which you see to present for photos for ID, since we sometimes catch other birds

I am happy to present other birds when they come in since I need to photo them anyway, but for now have a bunch of irritated birbs.

And here's a female. They tend to mellow out a bit once you catch them and you can move them around a little before they realize they aren't going to die and try to flee again.

And one of the non-targets from last week, a California Towhee

Gloves are a new addition this week, I'm fine handling the birds without gloves. They literally cannot bite nearly as hard as a parakeet.
Someone invited a party in one of the traps.

This is a male Red-winged Blackbird

He Has Opinions of me

And none of them are good

A very handsome boy, these guys typically live near wetlands. Not to be confused with the similar-looking tri-colored blackbird.

They have a very distinct marking, sometimes the yellow band between the red and black is more obvious than on this fellow

He had

Five

Girlfriends

Most of them shared his opinion

One did not (she got the ice cream cone treatment)

This update has been brought to you by me. And by LAB graciously giving us all our wonderful feathers.

I will continue to post if we get another species in here, I can think of two others that I've seen already, just not today.

Chaosfeather posted:

Today I'd like to introduce to you the California Towhee

I deliberately saved these pictures for a couple of days later since

They are a resident. Every time I check this trap this silly bird is in there.

It's gotten to the point where they will still flee from capture, but once caught they know they can just chill out.

Surprisingly sweet little bird. I've heard that there's a family that's been spotted every year at this trap, so I won't be shocked when more arrive. Apparently very little sexual dimorphism in this species, the females are slightly larger. I've only seen two, primarily this one, so I have no way of knowing what their preferred pronoun is.

Kinda want to name them, since I see them a couple times a week. Each time I'll catch them and let them out. Without fail they'll go back in for the free food, water and shelter from the raptors.

I'd say they are clever, but it's pretty hard to tell. They are really bad at evading capture. Maybe a choice?

They are without a doubt the one I included in the first post, but now they get a post of their own. Good job, bird.

It's that time again to BOTHER SOME BIRDS

I've been keeping these for a little while so I don't overwhelm this wonderful thread, but here are some friends from my traps.

Of note from the species we've met, I've caught this boisterous fellow in my trap three times now.

How can I tell? His patterning is extremely unusual! I named him "Wierdo" because I'm great with names.
\
The other redwinged blackbirds continue to scold me as I remove them from the trap, even going so far as to yelling at me from the outside of the trap after I've released them and they've landed in the next bush. I do love these guys.

Our Towhee resident is still visiting

I call them and the second bird Mister and Missus Towhee. This is regardless of what their actual sexes are. "Mister" Towhee has scuff spots on his beak, and "Missus" seen here does not. They are now extremely chill when I handle them.

Now for our new friends!
This is a sad, terrified songbird.

The cowbirds in the trap are much larger and were picking on it. I let it have a little rest and some millet before I released them. We have captured other song sparrows.

Song Sparrows (not house sparrows) are natives and are released. I'm getting better at IDing these friends.

Very tiny and delicate and good at hopping around.

Another sparrow friend, one easier to ID not seen as often is the White-Crowned Sparrow

They spent a small time in my car drying off from the rain and recovering from being picked on.

He was released with great, pipping fury.

Or that was the plan. He actually chilled out once I opened my hand long enough for me to take this picture. Then he flew off.

You're a puzzle, little one.

Last but not least, the invasive European Starling

These extremely pretty birds are, unfortunately, also targets. We don't seek them out.

But legally I am required by the state of CA to manage this species as well.

I assure you that I take as best of care of these critters as I can as long as I have any say in their care.

Nearby there are several swallow species, including this one with blue on them.

They rarely stand still long enough to get close or take a snap, but imagine these friends whirling overhead all over the place.

Thank you for attending this brief intermission.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That’s really cool CF; I’d be interested in knowing more about your target species and how the program works but I understand if you’re skittish about getting into it.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

the yeti posted:

That’s really cool CF; I’d be interested in knowing more about your target species and how the program works but I understand if you’re skittish about getting into it.

Sure, I don't have a problem with that. I just didn't want to down the pet bird thread with talk of the nitty gritty of managing these guys.

So the primary target species is the Brown-Headed Cowbird, and invasive species that humans introduced to the region when we brought over our cattle. They used to be buddies with our bison but as we have expanded our beef industry and moved the cattle around the birds have followed. The primary concern is that they are obligate brood parasites. So the females can lay dozens of eggs in other bird's nests and let them do the hard work, which works if they evolved side-by-side or the birds are half smart. The problem is they endanger species like the Least Bell's Vireo even further by doing so. The idea is to limit the number of females laying eggs haphazardly in everyone's nests with a capture and cull program.

I need to do more research on the topic (as there are some drawbacks from having too few brood parasites in the region, causing other species to essentially drop their guard...) but from what I understand this program has caused an uptick in not only Least Bell's Vireo but also Song Sparrows and other native birds that are often the targets of the parasitism in this area. Because of it's success they get to keep doing it.

While we are at it the state of California also requires us to retain and cull any European Starlings or House Sparrows (also invasives) as they are a species that the state is trying to manage overall. To be honest I only see a couple of starlings and I have yet to see a house sparrow caught in the traps.

The traps are modified Australian Crow Traps, with a similar idea to a minnow trap - easy way to get in at a low middle point, high corners to keep any potential escapees trapped. These are decently large - I'm a short person and have to duck to get in the door but can otherwise stand in every trap. I do see some birds disappear and reappear, which tells me some of the smarter ones can figure out how to come and go at will. In addition, a sly Cooper's Hawk has decided to camp one of the traps and sit at the top, pulling through birds for an easy meal. They are effectively eliminated so it's not so much a problem, but we do try to discourage them so they don't become dependant on the traps for food. This can be done by closing the trap for a few days, as they can't seem to reach through the mesh.

The traps are baited with a small set of birds. Since they are social we leave more females than males, some fresh food (millet) and water sources (a guzzler and a tray to bathe in). These traps have bottoms so thankfully not much can get in from the ground, but we do see mice and sometimes other critters on the floor. These birds have clipped wings so even if they escape they can't go far and wreck havoc.

Once we capture enough birds (the traps are checked daily) the traps are 'reset' back to normal numbers and people like me will transport them back to base. At base we have holding pens (read: Large, very basic aviaries) that we hold the birds until it's time to cull them. Once a certain number is reached (I believe a minimum of 50) another person captures the birds from the facility, humanely euths them and they are frozen and passed on to falconers to be used as food. So the birds get recycled. One of the routes includes the holding pens, so I clean those three pens a couple times a week as well. One for males, one for females, one for starlings. I have yet to see house sparrows in there.

We definitely get more males than females. I want to say we catch 10 males for every female we catch. Not sure if that reflects the population levels or just that the males are more likely to be lured.

There are other parts of the program but I'm very new and that's what I understand of it. I just check and make sure the birds are alright, count who and what is in the trap. Any non-targets are released manually, and when there starts to be crowding problems I put them in a carrier and get angry chirps in my car for about an hour while I drive.

Edit:
Pestered some swallows today

Rudely interrupted these guys getting it on

Encountered this pretty plant (I am horrible at IDing plants)

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 15, 2020

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Plant looks like a Salvia of some kind.

Might be Salvia leucantha? The way the flowers arc and the whitish color on the stems makes me think leucantha.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

the yeti posted:

Definitely a cocoon. About how big was it would you guess?

Inch, maybe inch and a half? Somewhere around there.

Also, this is in New Jersey.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mr. Fowl posted:

Inch, maybe inch and a half? Somewhere around there.

Also, this is in New Jersey.

A lot of the wooly bear type caterpillars will make a real fuzzy cocoon like that, that'd be my guess.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
You're probably right! I see these around here every so often. Thanks!

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
Hello critterquest, I found some tiny friends in my garden today:

And a couple of bigger friends earlier this week:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just had a whole bunch of deer and turkeys waltz their way through the forest right behind my house, at least half a dozen of each. the turkeys are normally basically silent(motion-wise, not the near-constant gobbles), but this time they did something interesting; made a huge amount of shuffling through leaves noises because they were kicking their legs forward and backwards through the leaves to disturb the leaf litter, then bending down to eat whatever they uncovered. interesting, never seen that before. the deer meanwhile just meandered their way through, and they were some big loving deer, never seen ones that big around here. almost horse-sized, the ones we usually have are like, 2/3 horse sized. it's nice at this moment in time because all the groundcover and invasive species like oriental bittersweet have not grown full leaves yet, so it's easy to see a solid quarter mile straight back into the forest.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Saw this weird dude while on a hike today, Brisbane Australia

He was going places so I didn't get a pic from the front. Any idea what it is?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chaosfeather posted:

Last but not least, the invasive European Starling

These extremely pretty birds are, unfortunately, also targets. We don't seek them out.

But legally I am required by the state of CA to manage this species as well.

I assure you that I take as best of care of these critters as I can as long as I have any say in their care.

Nearby there are several swallow species, including this one with blue on them.

They rarely stand still long enough to get close or take a snap, but imagine these friends whirling overhead all over the place.

Thank you for attending this brief intermission.

I always feel conflicted because I know starlings are invasive but they can also be such pleasant birds. They are capable of really nice song, and I spent a lot of time watching baby starlings pester their parents and follow them around begging for food and inadvertently developed a level of fondness for them. I absolutely appreciate the work you're doing, though.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Megabound posted:

Saw this weird dude while on a hike today, Brisbane Australia

He was going places so I didn't get a pic from the front. Any idea what it is?

mountain katydid perhaps? not sure if gravid or if they're always that chonkers :kimchi:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

vaguely posted:

mountain katydid perhaps? not sure if gravid or if they're always that chonkers :kimchi:

Looked it up and yep, def a female Mountain Katydid. Certainly a very chonky one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tiny centipede buddy, with a crack between some pavement stones for scale. This came out way better than I thought it would. It was really cool seeing the legs push together in little waves going from back to front.