Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it makes no logical sense but it does make gameplay sense, in that big barns have to be an investment that take a while to build before you fill them with insanely profitable pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Finally bit the bullet and got this on Switch a couple weeks ago. It feels somewhat unpolished but so charming, I've already gotten almost 200 hours on it between my first and now second file... guess I might have a bit of a problem. Thanks, quarantine.

My second playthrough has been oddly blessed! By the end of Spring year 1 I had gotten two ancient seeds and a coffee bean drop, I got all four scrolls by the end of year 1... I didn’t reach my goal of year 1 greenhouse; this game has just enough ‘downtime’ and rng to make me forget, but I did get to the 100th floor in the skull cavern by 14 Winter in year 2. My grandpa is going to be so impressed.

Some thoughts I've had this second go-round:

--Disappointed blue chickens do not lay blue eggs. Don't tell me Shane just dyes them :(
--What’s with those translucent black slimes with the star antenna? The ones who are really strong--do they give extra exp?
--I have to figure Sam’s band plays a different tune if you don’t tell him you like experimental noise rock, but does anyone even do that
--Ooohh, the wizard probably got divorced because of Caroline.
--It took me way too long to realize 1.) you can kinda control how the trees fall based on how you axe them, and 2.) the nonfarm trees regrow (!!!). Jeez people talk about buying stone and here I am having to buy wood for everything because I have so little; it's been almost more a barrier than gold for me.

1.5 wishes:
Aside from the 'more dialogue,' 'a tip for using quality good (s) for a quest,' etc--a “are you sure you want to give ____ to ___?” prompt dammit :argh:
It would be really cool to help my kid or Abigail become the wizard's apprentice, or hell, actually, make it me. Magic! It could replace the weapon's 'special'. And I honestly have a bunch of little things. Like, snow should count as rain as far as game mechanics go (maybe not fill the pet's water dish, but everything else). Catching nonfish should only have a chance of using up your bait. Have the sculpture Leah gives you she calls “How I Feel About [playername]” not be the same sculpture she calls “Wood Sculpture 3” in her town exhibit because now I feel unspecial. When Abigail is playing her flute by the lake interacting with her should toggle the flute music. After you propose to someone they should have (fiancé/fiancée) under their name instead of just boy/girlfriend.
... Maybe limit the characters given on the switch for your favorite thing because while it allows for 500, in-game, when my character named Aerisu gets a stardrop, it proclaims the taste reminds me of knowledge of t. :suicide: (To be fair, I shouldn't have been so optimistic as to have inputted 'knowledge of the ancients'.)

I married Sebastian so I could have his motorcycle for rp reasons but he sucks and I'm seriously considering divorcing him for Elliot, who I married in my first save file and is also the best. Or perhaps I should go with Krobus as I do have the void ghost pendant from a flying serpent drop?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I like Sam's Bluegrass track, though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wait pets have water dishes?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

E-flat posted:

--What’s with those translucent black slimes with the star antenna? The ones who are really strong--do they give extra exp?

They always drop a weapon when killed.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait pets have water dishes?
There's a water dish northwest of your house on most farms. If you fill it with water everyday it'll give another point of friendship with your animal. It'll fill automatically when it rains.

quote:

--It took me way too long to realize 1.) you can kinda control how the trees fall based on how you axe them, and 2.) the nonfarm trees regrow (!!!). Jeez people talk about buying stone and here I am having to buy wood for everything because I have so little; it's been almost more a barrier than gold for me.
You can also plant the tree seeds (oak, maple, and pine) outside your farm to grow more trees for more wood. I like to plant them up near the train tracks as no one really goes near there. However this isn't limited by reason as you can also plant trees in the desert and they'll still grow (except in winter for whatever reason they'll still be covered in snow -- in the desert).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The wizard doesn't tell the whole truth and Caroline is the witch.

Prove me wrong :colbert:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm curious what makes you feel like the game is unpolished.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm curious what makes you feel like the game is unpolished.

It's certainly unPolished

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

vyelkin posted:

:getout:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

vyelkin posted:

:vince:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Lmao

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Gotta admit, that's a good goof.

And having recently played Subnautica, Stardew is polished as gently caress in comparison. haha. EDIT : 2d vs 3d covers a lot of visual jank issues, mind.

Also don't know how well the Switch port runs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it stutters occasionally but it's pretty good

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I've played Rune Factory 2, and by comparison its story (used loosely), combat, crafting, and cooking systems feel more polished. Now that I know it's not just one guy, the 'unpolished'ness of it is definitely more aesthetic than necessity. And I don't mean it in a bad way, mind; it feels more personal.

Unclouded posted:

You can also plant the tree seeds (oak, maple, and pine) outside your farm to grow more trees for more wood. I like to plant them up near the train tracks as no one really goes near there. However this isn't limited by reason as you can also plant trees in the desert and they'll still grow (except in winter for whatever reason they'll still be covered in snow -- in the desert).
That's what I did, just not on a large enough scale. I took Emily really, really seriously when she said the ecosystem was fragile... :ohdear:

The graphical stuff also can contribute to the unpolished feeling. Like, I have two crab pots in the river on my hilltop farm but one of them looks way higher up than the other one for some reason. On my first savefile I chose the river farm, and on the western-most island by the cliff there's a spot you can't put anything, despite nothing being 'there' to block it. It's kind of annoying, because the space above and below it are fine. NPC dialogue sometimes occurs out of order, especially if I'm button mashing. It might be a Switch thing?

This is the closest I can to posting my farm but (e: new and improved, with actual picture!)

Debating moving the barn somewhere--maybe to the quarry?--as I don't like how the animals are up by my house and stomp on my flower garden, which coincidentally I'm also not the happiest with...

E-flat fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 16, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Emily's fun to have around but you should definitely never take her seriously about anything

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Eric the Mauve posted:

Emily's fun to have around but you should definitely never take her seriously about anything

Now someone tells me!!

Oh, another 1.5 wish: have my character do the flower dance instead of chrono triggering around while the other sprites dance. That'd be real nice.

E-flat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 15, 2020

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

One of the updates for 1.4 gave the option to take a screenshot of your entire farm. In the options menu at the very bottom on the switch version is an option misleadingly saying "Screenshot" select it while on your farm and it'll take a screenshot of your entire farm. It'll then show up in your switch album for you and the world to see if you post it.

This works for any area but works well for showing what your farm looks like quickly.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Unclouded posted:

One of the updates for 1.4 gave the option to take a screenshot of your entire farm. In the options menu at the very bottom on the switch version is an option misleadingly saying "Screenshot" select it while on your farm and it'll take a screenshot of your entire farm. It'll then show up in your switch album for you and the world to see if you post it.

This works for any area but works well for showing what your farm looks like quickly.

Oh my god you're amazing!

It's a little small, but eh good enough my farm's not all that great lol

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Not to bump but uh I was just cutting weeds and I got an extra fiber thing. What gives?

:catstare: oh it's a hat. A hat happened.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

E-flat posted:

Not to bump but uh I was just cutting weeds and I got an extra fiber thing. What gives?

Heh, that's a crazy rare drop.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

E-flat posted:

That happened to me a few days ago and I spent far too long trying to figure out what it was.

Cool looking hat, too!

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

E-flat posted:

its always OK to bump the stardew thread. #1 Shelter-in-place/quarantiune game, need to promote to help others through these troubled times. Amen. :pray:

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That happened to me a few days ago and I spent far too long trying to figure out what it was.

Cool looking hat, too!
I'm a little surprised SA let me ninja edit because it definitely took me a several real-life seconds and I kinda figured it out by accident, thanks to 1.4 allowing hats for horses. (It's a little weird to say something like that, because 1.4 is all I've known. Sounds like waiting for years before finally taking the SDV plunge worked out in the end :chord:)

This savefile has been so blessed, I'm thinking on making this my main one, now. Which means I need to divorce my useless husband Sebastian. My previous run I married Elliot, whose attitude is charming, who reliably makes me coffee, and whose 14-heart event genuinely touched me. Elliot is best husbando. Change my mind.
(does Krobus make you coffee?)

E-flat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 17, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Krobus' best thing he makes is Lucky Lunches.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I can't decide who I want to marry in my game, but Sebastian is the worst. Leave your room you mayo and jam and wine hating picky gently caress! Even the dwarf likes me more than you do, and I can't even speak his language yet.

Edit: Posted from my bedroom, that I've barely left in like a week.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Sebastian loves sashimi so he's the toughest to get to 2* but once you do, the easiest in the universe to max

also every friday night he's at the pub with everyone else so just sashimi-bomb the whole place (except Emily)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Psion posted:

also every friday night he's at the pub with everyone else so just sashimi-bomb the whole place (exceptespecially Emily)

A Better Post

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I only married him for the motorcycle; the result of a low effort ffvii remake thing. My character is Aerisu to avoid choosing between Aerith/Aeris (and so I can choose the sassier responses this time without feeling guilty), and it's the Sector 7 Farm even though that's not where she lives. But ok I need to rant about Sebastian more. Boy you are married to the richest person in town; stop moping. You complained that people didn't take your computer programming job seriously, but now you're like 'should I work or play video games lol' son unlike some of these other people I could have married, you had a job and understood responsibility.

Now, with Elliot, he can tell me he helped by watering my crops that are all covered by sprinklers and I can genuinely believe that he thinks he Helped.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he'll work out in your farmhouse and make it all humid

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Does Elliot act like he's capable of being a functional adult or is Leah still the only dateable character in that category?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I feel like Leah might not be that functional. She definitely is an adult unlike most of the options, but she ran away from the city (a place with an art scene) to do her art in the middle of nowhere without any realistic plan for things like not dying from starvation and exposure. She doesn't even have a plan to sell it online unless you bring it up. She lives in a shack in the woods and eats berries. She was dependent on a wealthy ex before and if you romance her then you become her new sugar-daddy / sugar-mama, supporting her with your highly profitable winery so she can keep making GBS threads out abstract sculptures without buyers.

She has expensive tastes too. She likes poo poo off the ground because it appeals to her aesthetic beliefs but what she really wants is wine and truffles.

Her ex wasn't wrong, just an rear end in a top hat.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Mr. Prokosch posted:

but what she really wants is wine and truffles.

hmmm Leah loves Salads. its all I ever gave her, and she loved them

the only god-tier wife :worship:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Leah has the least expensive tastes of anybody, not only does she love salads but she likes spring onions and driftwood.

She did the same thing the player character did: ditched a comfortable corporate life in the city to go back to nature.

Maybe that makes her Not A Responsible Adult, but if "responsible" means "has a corporate job" then I don't want to be one :colbert:

Harvey has issues in other ways but he's definitely a functional adult, and Maru knows what she's about at least. About half the bachelor(ette)s are adult enough to have a good grip on who they are and what they want (Leah, Harvey, Maru, Elliott*, Penny**) and about half aren't (Sam, Sebastian, Abigail, Alex, Haley, Shane). This is good design on CA's part because the player base likewise consists of quite a few adults and also quite a few teenagers/kids.

* Unlike Leah Elliott isn't prepared to just live off the land indefinitely, he has enough money saved up to live temporarily in his beach shack and Take His Shot at his dream. It's unclear if he has any Plan B if he fails.

** Penny is profoundly unambitious, but she does know exactly what she wants out of life: gone from that goddamn trailer, and lots of kids. Good for her.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 18, 2020

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I would've gone for Leah if it wasn't for her thing with postmodern art.

Elliott's also completely naff at the writing game, seeing as no-one stuck around for his first reading.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Eric the Mauve posted:

a series of good points

I will however say that Leah and Elliot have the least baggage

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

WarpedNaba posted:

Elliott's also completely naff at the writing game, seeing as no-one stuck around for his first reading.

Okay rude, secondly critics give it okay to good reviews :colbert: For a first book!

Eric the Mauve posted:

* Unlike Leah Elliott isn't prepared to just live off the land indefinitely, he has enough money saved up to live temporarily in his beach shack and Take His Shot at his dream. It's unclear if he has any Plan B if he fails.

I like that Elliot kind of realizes he's gotten himself a little in over his head with the cabin by the sea thing. He references how lonely it is and he's glad to have you as a friend yadda yadda. Even the grumpy blacksmith wants friends.

e: Okay, I'm about to go trawling through the thread to find people's hilltop farms, but in the meantime I'd like to fish for comments. I understand nobody cares about this a fraction as much as I do, but hey we all got free time, right? :v:

There are tiny differences in pathing between one and two, and they both lack the path to the north exit of the farm crap I gotta fix that:

(^this one has a heavier path towards the bottom right and the paths 'connecting' to the stairs at the top and to the westmost garden)

(^this one doesn't and hence is smaller)

There are extremely few differences so I'd appreciate general comments and criticisms, too. I tried to use the crystal pathing to kinda have a tiered effect and demonstrate elevation change, and used the cobblestone pathways for 'less traffic' areas than the main stone thoroughfaires. The lava eel pond is placed where it would be 'even' from the cliff bottom's perspective but I don't have much else to fill the extra tilespace but grass. I'm extremely open to ideas what to do with the south farm, area near the greenhouse, and shrine--the tapped trees aren't necessary as i've got taps for days elsewhere. Just there to fill space. Same with the little plots under the mill.

E-flat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 18, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

E-flat posted:

Okay rude, secondly critics give it okay to good reviews :colbert: For a first book!

I like that Elliot kind of realizes he's gotten himself a little in over his head with the cabin by the sea thing. He references how lonely it is and he's glad to have you as a friend yadda yadda. Even the grumpy blacksmith wants friends.

e: Okay, I'm about to go trawling through the thread to find people's hilltop farms, but in the meantime I'd like to fish for comments. I understand nobody cares about this a fraction as much as I do, but hey we all got free time, right? :v:

There are tiny differences in pathing between one and two, and they both lack the path to the north exit of the farm crap I gotta fix that:

(^this one has a heavier path towards the bottom right and the paths 'connecting' to the stairs at the top and to the westmost garden)

(^this one doesn't and hence is smaller)

There are extremely few differences so I'd appreciate general comments and criticisms, too. I tried to use the crystal pathing to kinda have a tiered effect and demonstrate elevation change, and used the cobblestone pathways for 'less traffic' areas than the main stone thoroughfaires. The lava eel pond is placed where it would be 'even' from the cliff bottom's perspective but I don't have much else to fill the extra tilespace but grass. I'm extremely open to ideas what to do with the south farm, area near the greenhouse, and shrine--the tapped trees aren't necessary as i've got taps for days elsewhere. Just there to fill space. Same with the little plots under the mill.

I like the bottom one better. The top part especially has fewer turns. I like nice clean lines and turns are much harder to stay on in-game than they are in real life.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I like the top one better :v: in the second, the mostly straight path at the north end of the farm is aesthetically quite boring, and I feel like the little branches off of it in the first image help to break it up a little. Same for the extra little bit of path in the southern area going to the crops below the shed. It just looks a lot nicer imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Keep 'em coming guys.

I think I might see if I can chop down that bush and/or re-arrange my fish ponds to the bottom and extend my cash crop plot(s)... It's Winter now, so all I see is empty spaces. I only got the slime hutch because Sebastian wanted it; since my pig keeps immaculate conceptioning new pigs maybe I build another barn and move both of them to the quarry area. Man planning farm layouts is so fun and annoying. :allears:

Oh wait, you can pickaxe the dead 'Rotten Plant's that are around? That's neat

wait Elliot needs a sandfish

E-flat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 18, 2020