Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MoaM posted:

They set up the research facility somewhere in Chapter 3 / 4, I can't recall...
I really don't like the design of the Unknown Entities, they seemed more like sentient beings from another world than bio-lab experiments gone wrong.
They're very blue guys from Bloodborne energy

ImpAtom posted:

I thought they were supposed to be updates of the weird-rear end thing that came out of the pod in Cloud's flashback in the original
Probably, heres their Crisis Core model
i always liked the weird naturalistic tree/crystal look they had in that shot when you look in the tank though, imo the 7r ones are a little lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

I thought they were supposed to be updates of the weird-rear end thing that came out of the pod in Cloud's flashback in the original

"Makonoids", yeah. They've even got the same blue and orange color scheme they had in Crisis Core.

e:fb

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 15, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'll admit, I'm not sure why they went to the trouble of saving Wedge in this incarnation, giving you a whole dungeon to save him, bring him back for the final showdown... and then (possibly) just kill him off again.

But the AVALANCHE scoobies were cool. Tripping death flags left and right obviously even if you haven't played the original game, but cool.

Cloud had better get the best pizza ever in part 2, though.

Also, was there ever actually a point to that weird childhood flashback Aerith got in the Train Graveyard? With... Marlene being there for whatever reason?

The Wedge thing was mostly there I think to get you fired up for whipping time ghost rear end if you weren't fed up with their bullshit from the plate drop, as well as general stringing you along with will they or won't they.

Edit: Doing my Hard mode poo poo and I kinda forgot about that dude at the start of chapter 3 who brushes Cloud off as a mako junkie. Like... is that poo poo also a drug? Does Barret go out at night looking for anybody huffing glowing teal fumes?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 15, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Caidin posted:

The Wedge thing was mostly there I think to get you fired up for whipping time ghost rear end if you weren't fed up with their bullshit from the plate drop, as well as general stringing you along with will they or won't they.

Edit: Doing my Hard mode poo poo and I kinda forgot about that dude at the start of chapter 3 who brushes Cloud off as a mako junkie. Like... is that poo poo also a drug? Does Barret go out at night looking for anybody huffing glowing teal fumes?

Considering what people are willing to use in this world to get themselves high this is literally nothing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Chapter 14: All scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJFXezIJ_Y

Game good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CottonWolf posted:

Just finished the game, not read the thread. But making the final boss the plot of FFVII is insane and audacious and I love it.

oh my god i didn't think of it this way :laffo:

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

"Makonoids", yeah. They've even got the same blue and orange color scheme they had in Crisis Core.

e:fb

I’m sorry but these guys always looked like they woke up in their business khaki’s and decided to kick your rear end before their next meeting. Not that the new design is much better.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Oh sweet, I didn't know they had that "who did you get the most social link points with" aspect to it. I definitely went out of my way to be nice to Tifa every chance I got in my playthrough, so she's who I spoke with there and I thought it was one of the best scenes in the game. Definitely worth checking out. All three of them are really good but Tifa's gets voted as best for me because on top of my clear bias towards her, I really like that Cloud showed how desperate he is for love and how messed up in the head he is by holding her too tightly.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

homeless snail posted:

They're very blue guys from Bloodborne energy

Probably, heres their Crisis Core model
i always liked the weird naturalistic tree/crystal look they had in that shot when you look in the tank though, imo the 7r ones are a little lame

See that thing is way more animal like to me, but whatever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Screw the haters, I like the canon defender ghosts. Well, maybe not the ghosts themselves, but what they represent: letting go of preconceived notions of “how this must happen” and just letting the remake be the remake. The original still exists and it’s still a great game, nothing has been destroyed by this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also if you wanted a 1:1 remake of the game you were disappointed before you even booted it up, so I don’t know what you expected.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also, was there ever actually a point to that weird childhood flashback Aerith got in the Train Graveyard? With... Marlene being there for whatever reason?

For us as players it lets us see a bit of Aerith being a lonely kid I suppose, nothing super impactful. It is interesting that the Whispers or Sephiroth may have been behind that experience for her though. The Marlene being there part seemed to me like a glimpse into Aerith's Ancients/Cetra abilities. She shows some empathetic/telepathic abilities very rarely in the remake (like directly knowing what someone's thinking or feeling and not listening to flowers), does the Red XIII healing/imparting of knowledge, and is able to open up the Destiny path at the end and pick up on what's actually going down with that. But all those things are basically what we see from Cloud's perspective, so in that brief scene with Aerith separated I think she sees an image of Marlene at that moment and what she's thinking or saying (the position matches perfectly with where she is when Aerith finds her), and that may be a glimpse into the kinds of weird experiences Aerith has on a semi--regular basis.

I'll need to pay attention to the Whispers on my second playthrough now that I know exactly what their deal is, I caught most of the times they were nudging things along but I feel like there were some small details I missed.

Also it's me, i'm the one who wants Genesis and Angeal to be elements of the story in the remake since while I never played Crisis Core, their whole looks/abilities and what I've read on the FF wiki seemed like a fun time. I'm just catching the highlights though and didn't see them in the long haul.

And put me down for thinking that the end of game events shunted everyone into a new reality where Zack lives, saves Cloud, gives him the buster sword, then goes off into hiding or to accomplish some other goal outside of Midgar,, most likely intending to stay under the radar by not carrying around a big-rear end sword. In this reality Biggs definitely lives too and I think Jessie does as well, but I think at least one of that classic Avalanche Trio has to stay dead and Wedge wound up drawing the short straw there.

My interpretation of the "seven seconds" scene is that Cloud got a real brief time alone in a dimension where he could influence creation/fate, and he used that time to save Zack, Biggs, and Jessie. Wedge remains dead because as far as Cloud knew he was still alive, and the changed Stamp logo is just there as an indication that reality has been rewritten and not really a "this is from another timeline" thing. I think he either didn't have enough time there or there were other limitations (either what his own will could do there or what that weird area is actually capable of) that prevented him from saving Nibelheim, but I also would not be surprised if we see his mom alive later as part of what he was wishing would change, and Cloud freaking out when he sees her could be a good reminder in the next game about just how much fate/reality has changed, and possibly prompt Cloud to explain to everyone what he experienced in that weird creation dimension.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 15, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

And I don’t care what anyone says, this game was great, sometimes fantastic. Dorkiness at the end doesn’t invalidate the rest of it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Also if you wanted a 1:1 remake of the game you were disappointed before you even booted it up, so I don’t know what you expected.

I've legitimately seen a case where someone already decided to hate the remake before even trying the demo, when that came out

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

And I don’t care what anyone says, this game was great, sometimes fantastic. Dorkiness at the end doesn’t invalidate the rest of it.

'dorkiness' isn't exactly how I'd describe the game on the whole being totally unwilling to let mysteries build and just drop every single reveal from the original game it can as soon and unceremoniously as it can, but go off I guess?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

That's where I'm at too, the highs were incredibly high and the lows were just pretty standard JRPG stuff that wasn't too bad, it was just not holding a candle to the really amazing aspects of the game. The cheese at the end was my kind of cheese, so while I totally get it if it wasn't for you it definitely worked for me.

On an unrelated note, I'm really excited to play a game that lets you start at the equivalent of level 25-30 with a slew of magic and skills. I can't recall an RPG that went right in like that, and while I don't expect any significant import of the actual materia/levels you earned from this game into the next game, carrying over all the weapons and skills and most or even all of the materia (with say, half the AP totals on each materia) seems like it would be a lot of fun. I also hope they further expand on each character's basic combat abilities (both the square normal attacks and the triangle unique abilities). I feel like that's a necessity since it won't really be exciting to see the exact same combat animations/special moves in the second game, and I think that opens up some fun avenues to show a RPG party steadily kick rear end in flashier and flashier ways over time, with a level of detail and polish in that area that you rarely see.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Pollyanna posted:

No it doesn't, it's still a really good game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think the only stuff I am not feeling, having finished it, were some sections that felt like lovely padding because they needed to tack on a few more hours of game time to mollify the weirdos who would have been going apeshit over it only being like 20-25 hours. In particular the ones I ended up disliking were the train graveyard, the sewers, and Hojo's lab. And really it was mostly because all those locations were standing in the way of significant plot developments and all of them felt like they went on 3x as long as they needed to.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The Drum really reminded me of the Panopticon (D-District Prison) in FF8, except slightly worse.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MoaM posted:

The Drum really reminded me of the Panopticon (D-District Prison) in FF8, except slightly worse.

I actually really liked the setting and the two party mild puzzle deal they had going on, almost felt like an RE game at points, it just dragged on by the third ward. Luckily that snakeipede fight was dope as gently caress.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah after a day of distance after beating it I think the game was still incredibly good, but there are some parts like sewers 2: the sequel and Professor Hoio’s Wild Ride that added absolutely nothing (though I guess the lab has some great tifa/aerith moments, albeit ones that didn’t need a dungeon around them) and were pretty clearly only there to add a few hours to the runtime, and could have happily been left on the cutting room floor without making the game feel lean.

DrNutt posted:

I actually really liked the setting and the two party mild puzzle deal they had going on, almost felt like an RE game at points, it just dragged on by the third ward. Luckily that snakeipede fight was dope as gently caress.

The problem is that its both completely new and slotted into the plot at a point where it has zero narrative effect except to stop your forward momentum, especially since this is like the fourth time so far in the game where you’re given a time sensitive goal and then have to spend an hour loving around in a dungeon segment that overstays its welcome.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 15, 2020

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It could've been a simple excuse to test/show off Red XIII to fans.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I disliked Hojo's lab because really I wanted to go on a rip roaring rampage through the office space of Shinra HQ which was something I remember kinda happening in the original, and also because it was too long.

Did get a laugh outta Hojo saying 5 guards outta do it after the party splattered his Deep One. Weird how those power armor grunts only seem to show up once though, they were kinda cool.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Caidin posted:

Weird how those power armor grunts only seem to show up once though, they were kinda cool.

A thing that I really loved is how some of the new bosses were simply regular mooks in the original that mostly just showed up in one place, and yet you immediately identified them. FF7 had a lot of unique enemy designs, with the only palette swaps that come to mind being the Soldier 3rd/2nd/1st class and even then they had slight difference.

Newer FF and RPGs in general resort to like a group of 20 or so core species and then palette swapped them to hell and back.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

lezard_valeth posted:

A thing that I really loved is how some of the new bosses were simply regular mooks in the original that mostly just showed up in one place, and yet you immediately identified them. FF7 had a lot of unique enemy designs, with the only palette swaps that come to mind being the Soldier 3rd/2nd/1st class and even then they had slight difference.

Newer FF and RPGs in general resort to like a group of 20 or so core species and then palette swapped them to hell and back.

The reveal of Hell House in the colosseum had me grinning like a goddamn moron.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
There is no way in hell that the Ghost Ship from Underwater Junon is not a boss when we get to that part of the game

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

I was honestly disappointed that SOLDIER 3rd class dudes showed up around the last trek up to plate and were total chumps, like small fry compared to a Helitrooper. Thought they'd save that crew for a Roche rematch with a better showing or something.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I can't believe Tifa is winning in the unspoiled thread vote...y'all deserve a smack

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^^^ I still love Tifa the most, but this game already elevated Aeris from "Yeah she's great I like her a lot" to "Absolutely amazing would die for her" thanks to things like that, lmao

CottonWolf posted:

Just finished the game, not read the thread. But making the final boss the plot of FFVII is insane and audacious and I love it.

Ahahaha what a brilliant summation :allears:

Just finished it. I hosed myself over for the final bosses because when you're at the end of the highway it mde it look like you're about to fight a big duel as just Cloud so I stopped, respecced materia onto him suitable for that, because I assumed it was the End Boss as just Cloud, and then carried on like a moron :v: Fortunately it let me go into the menu partway through but until then it was a bit tough.

Things that were actual flaws I'm salty about :
Couldn't call Aeris the "slum drunk"
No "shiny golden wire of hope"
Tifa didn't call Barret the r word in the Shinra stairs
Couldn't explicitly say Yes to Jessie's propositions

Aside from the main plot I'm interested in seeing what they do with the Turks, getting that scene in the Shinra basement with Reno continuing to be pissed about the orders and Rude also seeming to have some doubts hints at possibly being more involved and less loyal to Shinra later on. Also wasn't anticipating Tseng turning out to be a religious zealot but okay, you do you prettyboy. Did hope we'd see Elena there but I guess we'll have to wait for her.

e2; I'm still wilding out by the fact Roche showed up early in, caused trouble twice, and then up and vanished for the rest of the game, I was 100% expecting him to return during the Shinra escape or something.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 15, 2020

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think one of my favourite things among a million other favourite things on this masterpiece of a game was to hear the

Cloud posted:

...I'll chop them off

Aerith posted:

...I'll rip them off

Tifa posted:

...I'll smash them

sequence at Don Corneo voiced. Here and in many other places the delivery was absolutely perfect, the rest of the game is perfect but the VA is perfect+++

Now going through a playthrough of the OG just to remind me of all these iconic phrases and then replaying the remake to catch all of these bits.

They absolutely nailed this remake, the madmen.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

gently caress destiny.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Caidin posted:

I disliked Hojo's lab because really I wanted to go on a rip roaring rampage through the office space of Shinra HQ which was something I remember kinda happening in the original, and also because it was too long.

Did get a laugh outta Hojo saying 5 guards outta do it after the party splattered his Deep One. Weird how those power armor grunts only seem to show up once though, they were kinda cool.

Yeah I also wanted to rampage through Shinra and give Barret his wish. If you take the lift you get to kill some people and scare a lady so that's cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Thinking about a sequel, I kind of feel like FF7 has too many characters to keep up the quality of the banter going forward. Like, imagine running around with nine people all the time. It's even worse if you can choose your party because that just means none of them can ever say anything too important or interesting. This game worked because they were constantly forcing you into specific party configurations (which is exactly what happened in the original) but I feel like they'd have to keep that up going forward.

Maybe even have the party split up for long periods of time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Clarste posted:

Thinking about a sequel, I kind of feel like FF7 has too many characters to keep up the quality of the banter going forward. Like, imagine running around with nine people all the time. It's even worse if you can choose your party because that just means none of them can ever say anything too important or interesting. This game worked because they were constantly forcing you into specific party configurations (which is exactly what happened in the original) but I feel like they'd have to keep that up going forward.

I think they'll continue to lock your party for main plot points with maybe a little wriggle room, then maybe hub you at the Highwind and obviously let you tackle the extra battle stuff with whoever you like.

One thing I wish the game did for Hard is just let you go to the simulator or whatever without having to load a chapter.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Tekne posted:

gently caress destiny.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NowonSA posted:

For us as players it lets us see a bit of Aerith being a lonely kid I suppose, nothing super impactful. It is interesting that the Whispers or Sephiroth may have been behind that experience for her though. The Marlene being there part seemed to me like a glimpse into Aerith's Ancients/Cetra abilities. She shows some empathetic/telepathic abilities very rarely in the remake (like directly knowing what someone's thinking or feeling and not listening to flowers), does the Red XIII healing/imparting of knowledge, and is able to open up the Destiny path at the end and pick up on what's actually going down with that. But all those things are basically what we see from Cloud's perspective, so in that brief scene with Aerith separated I think she sees an image of Marlene at that moment and what she's thinking or saying (the position matches perfectly with where she is when Aerith finds her), and that may be a glimpse into the kinds of weird experiences Aerith has on a semi--regular basis.

Actually wait why was Aerith even playing hide and seek with kids, she was basically just stuck with her mom until they escaped from Shinra, and even if she was a kid when she started living with Elmyra she shouldn't have been super lonely there if she had other kids to play with.

I dunno, the Train Graveyard section is just kinda weird.

Clarste posted:

It was actually kinda annoying to me that I couldn't pick and choose my party when everyone was reunited. Like yeah Red was forced into Guest role, but you couldn't even freely pick between Aerith/Tifa/Barret until you complete the Drum, and even then it's only if you wanted to backtrack and pick up anything you missed, when you progress with the story you're locked in again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I understand why you the player might want to bring along your favorites, either in gameplay or personality or both, but from a writing standpoint that kind of freedom is basically the deathknell for fun and interesting dialog that actually responds to what's going on. There's just too many permutations to write and voice act.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DrNutt posted:

I think the only stuff I am not feeling, having finished it, were some sections that felt like lovely padding because they needed to tack on a few more hours of game time to mollify the weirdos who would have been going apeshit over it only being like 20-25 hours. In particular the ones I ended up disliking were the train graveyard, the sewers, and Hojo's lab. And really it was mostly because all those locations were standing in the way of significant plot developments and all of them felt like they went on 3x as long as they needed to.

I actually really liked the train graveyard, it was both cute and creepy to the right degree, though it probably would have worked better as a chapter somewhere else in the game. Completely agree on the sewers and Hojo's lab though. They could have been half the length and nothing would have been lost.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Crisis Core does a really great job with Sephiroth, he's a genuinely likeable dude in that game. It's a knife twist but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ms Adequate posted:

e; ^^^ I still love Tifa the most, but this game already elevated Aeris from "Yeah she's great I like her a lot" to "Absolutely amazing would die for her" thanks to things like that, lmao

gently caress both of ya, #TeamJessie. She knows what she wants and doesn't play coy.

They're all great and really well written. I wish the Avalanche crew got more screen time even factoring in the new plot line they were in.

I know there was talk earlier about Nomura and how everyone either fairly or unfairly blames him for all the bizarre poo poo that happens. In my mind I view him kind of like a George Lucas or Billy Corgan type figure - namely creative figures that they do their best work when they have a team around them who will tell them "No, thats stupid" and keep them on track. I feel like they did a pretty good job keeping him focused for a while and by the end he started getting restless and said "But what if after they escape midgar, rather than being kind of aimless and defeated, they have a climactic anime battle with the gestalt personification of Final Fantasy 7s story canon instead?" and nobody could dissuade him from it. It's one of those things that sounds dumb and that I should hate, but it's just so absurd and bonkers in execution that it rounds the corner and becomes deeply entertaining to me. Kind of like how some people can know Professional Wrestling is scripted bullshit but wind up loving it anyway because there's an undead biker lich suplexing a comic book superhero through a flaming table.