Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jesus loving Christ I am so tired of watching these ghouls professionally (and successfully) gaslight the poo poo out of a uniquely susceptible demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

LorneReams posted:

How did this timeline come to be?

The DNC is wondering this too, because you are out of your mind if you think they actually wanted Biden to be the point man this year.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VH4Ever posted:

I don't give a gently caress what sort of degree you might have hanging on a wall somewhere, you're an idiot. This post stands as the only proof I need.

Biden is from Delaware, the credit card capital of the USA. The fact that someone who provided them the safe haven they needed to get fat and happy by skimming as much as they could off of the American people, plus the fact that he represents the current "Diet Evil" token opposition to the full on fascist death cult Republican party, an opposition that thinks what we really need to do is negotiate the raw numbers of the kids we lock in cages down just a tad and then we'll be OK, is considered the "squishy midpoint?" That speaks volumes. Speak to any European and Biden is a raving right wing loon by their standards. That's not because "lol, Europe" it's because our Overton window is turbofucked far right, and mewling lapdog plutocratic assholes like Biden are the reason why. Acting "concerned" and then actively defending the fascists' rights to imprison, kill or marginalize people (just maybe, not so many?) is not an opposition party. It's being the bootlickers of a corrupt system.

Congratulations on being one among their ranks.

Biden sucks.

i should think you, personally, should have learned your lesson about trying this sort of nonsense with me

your post is a screed about what you want to be true which is entirely irrelevant to my post about what is currently true

i mean, its all nonsense as well it’s just also nonsense that is entirely unrelated to my post, I don’t want my post misconstrued as suggesting this is any sort of coherent statement its just angry ranting mixed with some accurate statements and a lot of utter nonsense

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 15, 2020

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

i should think you, personally, should have learned your lesson about trying this sort of nonsense with me

your post is a screed about what you want to be true which is entirely irrelevant to my post about what is currently true

"I made a guess and was right about a thing once, therefore I am right about everything else until the end of time!!"

Mr President? Is that you?

You're loving kidding me, right? Uh yeah, I was wrong in predicting an election. THAT HAPPENS ALL THE loving TIME, even with "experts." The difference? Two things. One: I say all the time how I'm not an expert in that kind of poo poo, just an observer. Two: I CAN ADMIT WHEN I WAS FLAT WRONG. And I was! Was I coming at that prediction, and you, with a bit of extra bravado? Sure. But I never changed those fundamental two items I just listed. I made a semi-educated guess and was wrong. The DNC helped make it so. Congratufuckinglations, dickhead, you got the corporate lapdog you wanted. Don't expect me or anyone else here to be happy for you. We're all hosed now, whether you acknowledge that or not.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

The DNC is wondering this too, because you are out of your mind if you think they actually wanted Biden to be the point man this year.

The DNC fuckin loves the Iraq War

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Feels like if they didn't want him to be the point man they wouldn't have interfered in the primary for his benefit.

Then again maybe they're just so used to failing that they were expecting their help to be the kiss of death for his campaign.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

evilweasel posted:

Obama was a great president and hating Obama is generally a sign of terminal brain worms.

You're being unfair here, even though I agree with the first half of your statement. I think he's great, but I am biased since the ACA gave me access to the care I needed to save my life when I needed it without the pre-existing condition bullshit getting me killed. Also, his Supreme Court picks were part of pushing the gay marriage amendment forward, something that helped me form close personal relationships that held my life together at a point where the seizures really got out of control and I needed people I could trust to take care of my until I could think clearly again.
But I'd argue he's "great" in the sense that he is an avatar of the cultural change that occurred Around when he was elected and will always be known as a guy who marked a massive cultural shift towards advancing LGBT & women's rights as well as healthcare access. Not just because of his involvement in that area, but because he happened to be in the office at the right time and was smart enough to get out of the way and suave enough to get credit for it.

But I wouldn't describe people who were dissapointed with Obama as nuts. His campaign in 2008 was very trendy and he always presented himself as a cool guy who could relate more personally to voters, not as a politician but more as a celebrity. It's not like the ridiculousness of Trump, but it encouraged parasocial relationship where people feel like Obama knows them (he doesn't) and that he represents them (he represents the system) so they take his numerous failures way more personally than any well-adjusted person would and don't recognize the successes, since they were encouraged to see him as some sort of friend instead of a politician.
We really should note that some of what he did wouldn't play out well well no matter what, though - immigration being the main thing in my head. There's cases where Obama broke promises and it's not brain worms to be dissapointed or angry about it.

For a good example of this parasocial mental illness becoming complete brain worms, just check any of the people who backed Bernie hard throughout the primary then turned on him when he endorsed Biden. Sanders is my fav, but he has also said that everyone in the primaries would be united in standing against Trump. So this endorsement is not surprising to anybody who listens to Sanders and bases their expectations off of the words he says. However, a lot of people are upset that a creepy bowl of potato salad is the dem nominee (tho potato salad plays well in the Midwest) and are taking this endorsement as a sign that Bernie was a traitor to their cause. This is insane, as it indicates they were not listening to their own candidate in a meaningful way or just created a fantasy version of Sanders I their head. Those are the kind of losers who would seriously say Obummer like its funny (it isn't, it's a bitter nickname with no setup or payoff worked in).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ahahah Warren just endorsed Biden.

They didn't even make her do it before Bernie.

Can't wait for her to get primaried.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

your post is a screed about what you want to be true

Aint an ironicat big enough.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1250404907875786752

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

Aint an ironicat big enough.

Seriously. Nevermind that the platform sucks, I'm waiting for an explanation why we should believe the platform rather than the record, and thus put way more weight on what a guy says while campaigning than what he has actually done, beyond "just because."

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
There's zero chance that the graphics team for Hannity doesn't have a keyboard shortcut for splaying obama_wright_hate_america.jpg up on the screen in a hot second.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

This is a lineup of bosses you have to kill in the videogame of life.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VH4Ever posted:

"I made a guess and was right about a thing once, therefore I am right about everything else until the end of time!!"

You're loving kidding me, right? Uh yeah, I was wrong in predicting an election. THAT HAPPENS ALL THE loving TIME, even with "experts." The difference? Two things. One: I say all the time how I'm not an expert in that kind of poo poo, just an observer. Two: I CAN ADMIT WHEN I WAS FLAT WRONG. And I was! Was I coming at that prediction, and you, with a bit of extra bravado? Sure. But I never changed those fundamental two items I just listed. I made a semi-educated guess and was wrong. The DNC helped make it so. Congratufuckinglations, dickhead, you got the corporate lapdog you wanted. Don't expect me or anyone else here to be happy for you. We're all hosed now, whether you acknowledge that or not.

what you should have learned from was not being wrong. plenty of people are wrong all the time. from time to time even I’m wrong. but you should have learned from your repeated angry “you must be an idiot to believe this, I’ve finally got you now your stupidity will be forever revealed!!!!” posting in response, which you’ve decided to repeat.

what I posted is 100% accurate. your response was, in essence, you dislike where the middle of the Democratic Party is. that’s your right and it’s not wrong or right. to the extent you are mixing in the berniebro denial that Biden won and that actually the majority of the party hates Biden and were tricked and/or the dnc stole it that’s a whole bother discussion. but it’s fine to disagree with the general middle of the views of the party, virtually everyone does to some degree. but you don’t need to agree with it to recognize Biden is running basically on those average views.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

eXXon posted:

Someone I know said they got a $1200 direct deposit from the IRS this morning.

They're not American and haven't lived/worked in the US for more than 2 years.

You can check the status of your corona bux here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

The site is understandably getting slammed right now, so don't expect it to work on the first try.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

what I posted is 100% accurate. your response was, in essence, you dislike where the middle of the Democratic Party is. that’s your right and it’s not wrong or right. to the extent you are mixing in the berniebro denial that Biden won and that actually the majority of the party hates Biden and were tricked and/or the dnc stole it that’s a whole bother discussion. but it’s fine to disagree with the general middle of the views of the party, virtually everyone does to some degree. but you don’t need to agree with it to recognize Biden is running basically on those average views.

To save yourself embarrassment in the future you should look up how policy positions polled among Democratic primary voters. Either the primary voters believed Biden held the same positions as Sanders did or they bought into the electability drivel and favored that over their own policy preferences. But they weren't voting for Biden because they agreed with his actual platform.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Bifner McDoogle posted:

You're being unfair here, even though I agree with the first half of your statement. I think he's great, but I am biased since the ACA gave me access to the care I needed to save my life when I needed it without the pre-existing condition bullshit getting me killed. Also, his Supreme Court picks were part of pushing the gay marriage amendment forward, something that helped me form close personal relationships that held my life together at a point where the seizures really got out of control and I needed people I could trust to take care of my until I could think clearly again.
But I'd argue he's "great" in the sense that he is an avatar of the cultural change that occurred Around when he was elected and will always be known as a guy who marked a massive cultural shift towards advancing LGBT & women's rights as well as healthcare access. Not just because of his involvement in that area, but because he happened to be in the office at the right time and was smart enough to get out of the way and suave enough to get credit for it.

But I wouldn't describe people who were dissapointed with Obama as nuts. His campaign in 2008 was very trendy and he always presented himself as a cool guy who could relate more personally to voters, not as a politician but more as a celebrity. It's not like the ridiculousness of Trump, but it encouraged parasocial relationship where people feel like Obama knows them (he doesn't) and that he represents them (he represents the system) so they take his numerous failures way more personally than any well-adjusted person would and don't recognize the successes, since they were encouraged to see him as some sort of friend instead of a politician.
We really should note that some of what he did wouldn't play out well well no matter what, though - immigration being the main thing in my head. There's cases where Obama broke promises and it's not brain worms to be dissapointed or angry about it.

For a good example of this parasocial mental illness becoming complete brain worms, just check any of the people who backed Bernie hard throughout the primary then turned on him when he endorsed Biden. Sanders is my fav, but he has also said that everyone in the primaries would be united in standing against Trump. So this endorsement is not surprising to anybody who listens to Sanders and bases their expectations off of the words he says. However, a lot of people are upset that a creepy bowl of potato salad is the dem nominee (tho potato salad plays well in the Midwest) and are taking this endorsement as a sign that Bernie was a traitor to their cause. This is insane, as it indicates they were not listening to their own candidate in a meaningful way or just created a fantasy version of Sanders I their head. Those are the kind of losers who would seriously say Obummer like its funny (it isn't, it's a bitter nickname with no setup or payoff worked in).

You're correct but I really didn't get the impression he was speaking to people disappointed by Obama. I think he was specifically speaking to the particular flavor of whatever the gently caress this is:

VH4Ever posted:

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Eminai posted:

Feels like if they didn't want him to be the point man they wouldn't have interfered in the primary for his benefit.

Then again maybe they're just so used to failing that they were expecting their help to be the kiss of death for his campaign.

It's not that they're used to failing, it's that they're an institution that is stocked with a group of people that have been conditioned for the last 3.5 decades to operate in a just so manner and they haven't caught up with the fact that it really is sorta different this time.

I know it doesn't feed into some of the more fantastical conspiracy angles that so many around here love to bring up, but this poo poo really is mundane. Conventional, historical wisdom would say that you don't want a Presidential candidate that is going to force down-ballot allies to contrast against him/her on the left. That is exactly what they were thinking when it came to Sanders and having to hold on for dear life to many of the inner (and not so inner) ring suburban districts that they have to carry in order to both take the Presidency and keep control of the House, if not expand their power in the Senate (hopefully).

I, personally, think that this fear is a bit overblown considering that we are in an almost unprecedented now that we haven't really seen before in the history of the union...but it's what they believed.

They also believed that the field of extremely qualified, sufficiently competent grouping of Senators and others that threw in their hats into the competition would track better than the disaster that it turned out to be. It is mind bending, even as someone who's going into his 6th Presidential race cycle, that all of them failed so badly. Just terrible campaigns and inability to gain any traction whatsoever. Meanwhile, the rapidly decomposing former VP does nothing for like 8 months and ends up sweeping Super Tuesday.

So now we have a guy that can't whip up excitement at the helm (because of the voters, I want to be clear on this. You can blame the media all you want, but this is what the voters voted for) while being presented with a once in a lifetime opportunity in COVID to show exactly why none of the current fuckers in the opposition party in charge deserve to be there.

You are out of your drat mind if you think that this is exactly where these mystical 'Democratic Elites' wanted to be.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 15, 2020

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

evilweasel posted:

what you should have learned from was not being wrong. plenty of people are wrong all the time. from time to time even I’m wrong. but you should have learned from your repeated angry “you must be an idiot to believe this, I’ve finally got you now your stupidity will be forever revealed!!!!” posting in response, which you’ve decided to repeat.

I agree with evilweasel here. Joe Biden is absolutely the generic/average Democrat and anyone that disagrees strongly with his policy positions or personal history should find a different party to support, both for the presidency and for downballot races.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

not sure you’re intentionally doing my argument these favors but ok

obviously Obama did things people disagree with: he was president for eight years, if you couldn’t find something you disagree with that would also be a sign of a terminal brain deficiency. even Obama would find a bunch. but if you;re one of the people who genuinely hate the guy, that’s brain worms

this seems a little strong, yeah there's people like Hannity with an uncontrollable brainworms infestation, but there are rational reasons to hate the guy too

For example, I don't have brainworms, and I genuinely hate Obama

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Some of the people here are operating on a level of sustained dysphoric mania that frankly scares me. Like, maybe I’m hypersensitive because it’s 9 in the morning, but do you have to post like a whole Ace Ventura monologue the second you log on? Do the avatars of centrist swine/bernie bros trigger you into spaniel rage? Do your eyes roll back as you autopilot into reminding people who all largely agree that we’re existentially hosed for the twentieth time?

We’re living through a period where simply ‘logging off and going outside and being social’ isn’t as tenable as it should be and some of these threads are toxic. The news itself is stressful enough that I shouldn’t feel like I have to remove myself from D&D or SA for periods of time because of the loving goons themselves.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

To save yourself embarrassment in the future you should look up how policy positions polled among Democratic primary voters. Either the primary voters believed Biden held the same positions as Sanders did or they bought into the electability drivel and favored that over their own policy preferences. But they weren't voting for Biden because they agreed with his actual platform.

yeah hopefully Biden's advisers take note of this and shift toward Bernie to accommodate the policy preferences of the electorate, but I worry they'll take Biden's victory as proof that neoliberalism cannot fail and propose a new crime bill and a balanced budget or something

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Eminai posted:

I agree with evilweasel here. Joe Biden is absolutely the generic/average Democrat and anyone that disagrees strongly with his policy positions or personal history should find a different party to support, both for the presidency and for downballot races.

Sure can, thank you!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Ok Comboomer posted:

Some of the people here are operating on a level of sustained dysphoric mania that frankly scares me. Like, maybe I’m hypersensitive because it’s 9 in the morning, but do you have to post like a whole Ace Ventura monologue the second you log on? Do the avatars of centrist swine/bernie bros trigger you into spaniel rage? Do your eyes roll back as you autopilot into reminding people who all largely agree that we’re existentially hosed for the twentieth time?

We’re living through a period where simply ‘logging off and going outside and being social’ isn’t as tenable as it should be and some of these threads are toxic. The news itself is stressful enough that I shouldn’t feel like I have to remove myself from D&D or SA for periods of time because of the loving goons themselves.

holy poo poo dude. maybe it's you that needs the break?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

InsertPotPun posted:

Nah, he’s right.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is doing the Berniebro thing where things important to me are policy preferences and things important to you are not. I would prefer bernie’s health care system, but because I know there’s not a chance in the world I can get it regardless of who I vote for my preference is the Biden proposal which advances the ball, versus the Bernie one that would go nowhere. What you want in order to get tangible results is part of a platform just as much as your aspirations if there was no difficulty implementing them. You, and other of the more...rabid... Bernie supporters, ignore that last part.

It’s sort of like the “self driving cars are easy! just use cameras to see everything on the road and then don’t hit it!” If you don’t know why something is hard everything seems easy. A lot of those people are in this forum, and because they think it’s so easy the only possible reason they can imagine it’s not done is malice or incompetence.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Trump said he doesn’t know the guy!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

No that's absolutely correct

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/1250421420569460738

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

InsertPotPun posted:

No, he's definitely right. A lot of D&D has devolved into people tripping over themselves to get in the hottest, rudest, most strawmanned 280-character burn because their brains are permanently wired into outrage Twitter. If they can't find someone who substantially disagrees with them they'll imagine someone who's on their own team is a traitor and go from there.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s ok dude we’re all going to die from climate change thanks to Barack Obama and the DNC so insane hatred and rage is literally all we have left in the face of incoming ecological collapse and eco fascism taking hold. I mean, we lost the battle for humanity’s future so there’s nothing left to lose by spitting blood out of anguish and hate online.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

yeah hopefully Biden's advisers take note of this and shift toward Bernie to accommodate the policy preferences of the electorate, but I worry they'll take Biden's victory as proof that neoliberalism cannot fail and propose a new crime bill and a balanced budget or something

Biden's been at least looking like it's going to be the former. We'll see if it sticks though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

InsertPotPun posted:

Oh, you best believe I’m taking breaks.

Go read VH4Ever’s posting and get back to me. Like, it’s legitimately stress inducing. And I generally feel like I broadly agree with them too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

InsertPotPun posted:

dude it was only a day or two ago a poster had to be banned for implying assassinating Bernie out of outrage he did the thing he said he’d do since the very beginning of the campaign, apparently believing this forum was a safe space to do that

he’s 100% correct

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

This is doing the Berniebro thing where things important to me are policy preferences and things important to you are not. I would prefer bernie’s health care system, but because I know there’s not a chance in the world I can get it regardless of who I vote for my preference is the Biden proposal which advances the ball, versus the Bernie one that would go nowhere. What you want in order to get tangible results is part of a platform just as much as your aspirations if there was no difficulty implementing them. You, and other of the more...rabid... Bernie supporters, ignore that last part.

To save yourself embarrassment in the future don't unironically use the term "Berniebro" or make the rest of this post.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
[quote="Bifner McDoogle" post=""504123939"]stuff
[/quote]

I appreciate this post. While it sucks that Obama didn't close Gitmo or do loving anything about Dubya's war crimes, what little meaningful change he accomplished has personally affected myself and others close to me so I can't hate him too much. ...Even if he's done plenty to deserve it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's other possibilities: such as they didn't like the policies enough to actually vote for them. Or, they only liked a couple of the positions but they didn't like all of them. They may still not like to be associated with socialism in any respect.

Too many people here keep pretending that just because there are a lot of platforms popular here, and that they poll well, that they are actually representative of the poo poo people are actually loving voting for. I will keep telling you folks that these lovely rear end old Democratic politicians are more representative of their Democratic constituents than of us.

This is a sea change not only for America, but for left of center voters as well. It takes a hell of a lot of time to undo all the brain rot that has happened due to cold war, Reaganite, Neocon, Neolib ways of thought. This is evident in ways even Democratic voters buy in to the 'How do we pay for it?' type of poo poo. A hell of a lot of people are still looking at things from the right leaning framing of issues.

The inroads are being built by the newer Democratic politicians and by the amazing work being done in Virginia. Sanders was the superior Democratic candidate in terms of knowing what the cures are of the ills of the American way, but too many people, Democratic voters included, aren't convinced of the diagnosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

evilweasel posted:

dude it was only a day or two ago a poster had to be banned for implying assassinating Bernie out of outrage he did the thing he said he’d do since the very beginning of the campaign, apparently believing this forum was a safe space to do that

he’s 100% correct

Boy you miss some things when you take mental health breaks.