Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
she's SO loving DUMB

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1250297852481294339?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Skypie posted:

Got my trumpbux but who will take the dollar once the US balkanizes

Buy buttcoins

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

lmao this is why dems lose what a bunch of maroons

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I don’t think Kellyanne Conway is this stupid. I think she’s aware that her audience is, though.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I think she’s poorly stating that it isn’t a gift from Trump, even if he is acting like it is.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Here’s what I think...

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lets see how the rats are doing

quote:

And those choices are grim. They include cannibalism, rat battles and infanticide.

"It's just like we've seen in the history of mankind, where people try to take over lands and they come in with militaries and armies and fight to the death, literally, for who's going to conquer that land. And that's what happens with rats," he said. "A new 'army' of rats come in, and whichever army has the strongest rats is going to conquer that area."

Rats whose food sources have vanished will not just move into other colonies and cause fights over grub. They will also eat one another.

:snoo: :hmmyes: :snoo:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

dex_sda posted:

lol that's a headline completely against the actual article

the paper doesn't sound that bad either

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.09.034942v1.full.pdf

quote:

Monitoring the mutation dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 is critical for the development of effective approaches to contain the pathogen. By analyzing 106 SARS-CoV-2 and 39 SARS genome sequences, we provided direct genetic evidence that SARS-CoV-2 has a much lower mutation rate than SARS. Minimum Evolution phylogeny analysis revealed the putative original status of SARS-CoV-2 and the early-stage spread history. The discrepant phylogenies for the spike protein and its receptor binding domain proved a previously reported structural rearrangement prior to the emergence of SARS-CoV-2. Despite that we found the spike glycoprotein of SARS-CoV-2 is particularly more conserved, we identified a mutation that leads to weaker receptor binding capability, which concerns a SARS-CoV-2 sample collected on 27th January 2020 from India. This represents the first report of a significant SARS-CoV-2 mutant, and raises the alarm that the ongoing vaccine development may become futile in future epidemic if more mutations were identified.

so it's like, there's a mutation that makes it potentially less infectious, and it seems to mutate slower than it's cousin, but a mutation now means we have to keep an eye on it (which was gonna happen anyway)

btw nextstrain is great for seeing how this evolves over time: https://nextstrain.org/narratives/ncov/sit-rep/2020-04-10

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Skypie posted:

Got my trumpbux but who will take the dollar once the US balkanizes

"when faced with a collapsing economy, one should stop thinking of wealth in terms of money. Access to actual physical resources and assets, as well as intangibles such as connections and relationships, quickly becomes much more valuable than mere cash."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

amazing how this applies to trump bux but no progressive reforms that aim to force taxpayer dollars to benefit taxpayers instead of huge corporations lol

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

fits my needs posted:

RAT

BATTLES

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I feel bad for the rats, forced to fight each other for food, because us humans are dumb.

Rats are a lot like us, except smaller. They have families, and like pizza.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Crusader posted:

the paper doesn't sound that bad either

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.09.034942v1.full.pdf

so it's like, there's a mutation that makes it potentially less infectious, and it seems to mutate slower than it's cousin, but a mutation now means we have to keep an eye on it (which was gonna happen anyway)

btw nextstrain is great for seeing how this evolves over time: https://nextstrain.org/narratives/ncov/sit-rep/2020-04-10

yep

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/MikeOkuda/status/1250303520395259908?s=20

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

almost every country, and in the US every state seems to go through this “let’s not overreact. maybe it will pass us by somehow?” thought process, while ignoring that cases run about two weeks behind. so if you have a dozen randos coming up with it, that means like 50+ people are already spreading it around that you don’t know about. then 2-4 weeks later they start taking action and by then it’s already an invisible wild fire.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Tei posted:

I feel bad for the rats, forced to fight each other for food, because us humans are dumb.

Rats are a lot like us, except smaller. They have families, and like pizza.

:kimchi:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Nice to see libs going so far right we are heading right into TAXATION IS THEFT territory

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MMT will never work because the world is full of people like Joy Reid

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Mr. Lobe posted:

I've been playing way too much Fallout:NV lately, never was much for drinking and I live in a weed desert presently

I wish any of the new fallouts could match what obsidian managed to squeeze out of that gamebryo engine terd with new vegas.

I NEED A CYBERPUNK 2077 STIMULUS PACKAGE AND I NEED IT NOW MR TRUMP!

I'd settle for a loving switch that isn't marked up to $600 so I could play animal crossing as a bridge to my wrpg needs.

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.
Page 747 huh?

”We got a 747 coming down in the night,
There's no power, there's no runway lights...“

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

thats not a street rat

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

what a great day for my bank's website to be down

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Asproigerosis posted:

I wish any of the new fallouts could match what obsidian managed to squeeze out of that gamebryo engine terd with new vegas.

I NEED A CYBERPUNK 2077 STIMULUS PACKAGE AND I NEED IT NOW MR TRUMP!

I'd settle for a loving switch that isn't marked up to $600 so I could play animal crossing as a bridge to my wrpg needs.

In my dreams, studio ZA/UM and Obsidian would collaborate to make another Fallout game that doesn't suck

But now that it's a big big money franchize, I expect nothing good to come from that series ever again

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lmebo she doesnt know what sound the money printer makes

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

fits my needs posted:

It's the post-apocalypse for the rats, like redwall after.a nuclear war

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
See the Coronabux pending on our checking account. Already placed an order to an Electric Scooter to commute when I am forced to go back to work in the office next month.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

fits my needs posted:

quote:

That night Changi was deserted. By men. But the insects remained.

And the rats.

They were still there. Beneath the hut. And many had died, for they had been forgotten by their captors. But the strongest were still alive.

Adam was tearing at the wire to get at the food outside his cage, fighting the wire as he had been fighting it for as long as he had been within the cage. And his patience was rewarded. The side of the cage ripped apart and he fell on the food and devoured it. And then he rested and with renewed strength he tore at another cage, and in the course of time devoured the flesh within.

Eve joined him and he had his fill of her and she of him and then they foraged in consort. Later the whole side of a trench collapsed, and many cages were opened and the living fed on the dead, and the living-weak became food for the living-strong until the survivors were equally strong. And then they fought among themselves and foraged.

And Adam ruled, for he was the King. Until the day his will to be King deserted him. Then he died, food for a stronger. And the strongest was always the King, not by strength alone, but King by cunning and luck and strength together. Among the rats.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mayor Dave posted:

i remember reading those books as a kid there were like badgers and otters and poo poo too. i liked the art on the books was p rad

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

In my dreams, studio ZA/UM and Obsidian would collaborate to make another Fallout game that doesn't suck

But now that it's a big big money franchize, I expect nothing good to come from that series ever again

will outer worlds turn into something to fill this niche? ive heard mixed things

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Mayor Dave posted:

Redwall meets the Plague Dogs meets Watership Down meets Threads

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

BeefThief posted:

what a great day for my bank's website to be down

lol the system my credit union uses is also down for maintenance

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fits my needs posted:

i remember reading those books as a kid there were like badgers and otters and poo poo too. i liked the art on the books was p rad

the badgers and rabbits had a fortress iirc

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

where the gently caress is my loving MONEY

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

NofrikinfuN posted:

will outer worlds turn into something to fill this niche? ive heard mixed things

I hear it sucks in the way mediocre things that could have been great suck

They say it doesn't have the nerve to follow it's political premises to its conclusions and shies away from a substantive critique of capitalism

Dunno about from a gameplay perspective but eh I don't care even if it's great gameplay if its story and politics suck

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

CODChimera posted:

the badgers and rabbits had a fortress iirc

One of them was named after ullililia

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i got my TRUMP bux. btw if youre wonderinng why you didnt get $500 for your newborn kid, remember its based on last years tax returns.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I actually managed to get into my credit union and saw the Trumpbux and it's the most money I've ever had in my bank account right now, lol

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I love how Trump is making sure his name is on all the checks despite pretty much everyone in the entire country thinks 1200 is wayy too little and he is making sure everyone is associating that with him instead of pounding the Dems for being idiots

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

rap battles??!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Hey, here's something fun to consider

Low wage home/assisted living healthcare jobs are a huge part of US healthcare employment. Lots (most!) of those jobs are taking care of old people. Killing a lot of old people is going to crater a ton of employment.

i mentioned this when the first washington nursing home reported (and that was when I hopped on the doom train) but all these people work in multiple facilities because of how poo poo the industry is.

thats why it has spread so quickly into these places.

this whole pandemic has been a huge disaster for healthcare workers, paradoxically. none of the hospitals are hiring; they're just bringing in travel icu/er nurses from places that don't have outbreaks and throwing their existing CNAs from different floors into the fire.

gonna suck when all those places who lost their nurses get blown up lol