Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We don’t have enough data to draw conclusions about COVID19 and even if we did the disease hasn’t been on the radar long enough to have been properly analyzed and studied.

So let’s cool it down with the speculation.

Y’all gonna die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Old Boot posted:

* EDIT: I say this because anti-tobacco lobbies get turbo-boners when young people die in a way that implicates anything nicotine related. Trust me, they'd chew their own arm off for the chance to shout those stats through a megaphone.
Those drat anti-tobacco lobbies, always trying to find another argument for why folks shouldn't be in thrall to a highly-addictive and health-destroying substance and the billionaires who profit off of it :bahgawd:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Old Boot posted:

Tobacco post

This was interesting, thanks.

Covid isn't convincing me to quit smoking. It's encouraging me to grow my own weed though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Forgive me for disagreeing with a Twitter man but a lit review that only makes the observation that smokers appear underrepresented in the number of hospitalized patients does not strike me as “bizarrely strong evidence” of the benefits of smoking, which we already know to cause a host of cardiovascular issues. Being dead at home also keeps you out of the hospital.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 15, 2020

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Fallom posted:

Forgive me for disagreeing with a Twitter man but a lit review that only makes the observation that smokers appear underrepresented in the number of hospitalized patients does not strike me as “bizarrely strong evidence” of the benefits of smoking.

Yeah, definitely don't take it as a given or anything. The main takeaway from any of this is that not nearly enough data is being collected on smoking/smoking history, as well as the relative age of the people who are having worse outcomes if they are a) a smoker, b) are admitted to the hospital.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Those drat anti-tobacco lobbies, always trying to find another argument for why folks shouldn't be in thrall to a highly-addictive and health-destroying substance and the billionaires who profit off of it :bahgawd:

Yeah man that's totally the thing I was saying, good for you, being clever as advertised.

I'll spell it out tho, real simple: whether or not they have a point, they turbofucked the ~EVALI~ thing in a way that legitimately endangered peoples' lives, re: not telling people the right information (a non-trivial number still assumed THC vapes were safe, when they were in fact what was killing people), as well as driving people back towards traditional cigarettes.

I didn't say I disagree with the message - not smoking is good, you shouldn't smoke - but I find their tactics and practices pretty lovely.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

We don’t have enough data to draw conclusions about COVID19 and even if we did the disease hasn’t been on the radar long enough to have been properly analyzed and studied.

So let’s cool it down with the speculation.

Y’all gonna die.

Let's all go six months back in time and you morons take me up on my offer of amnesty

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Pryor on Fire posted:

Outside of serious lung conditions and age, obesity appears to be the biggest risk factor for ending up in the hospital and getting critically ill when you catch covid.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20057794v1

I've not done any ~scientific google research~ on this, but I'm fairly sure that obesity generally aggravates any severe respiratory condition you might catch.

As a former card-carrying fat person, I would say I'd be concerned about my chances with Covid in the hospital before even reading that article, but I guess that most obese folks would brush that word of caution away like any other word of caution regarding their general state of health. I loving know I did for the longest time when I was still 275 lbs, despite "only" being fat at 6'2" while not quite "morbidly obese". The only reason I dropped weight is because of the actual effect - both measurable and conscious - on my knee. I feel like voluntarily - though subconsiously - sustaining or increasing overweight status has some elements of substance abuse, because you don't really notice the necessity for immediate and consistent change until you "see rock bottom coming right up at you", to throw out some more Wire quotes.

I didn't see any form of "bottom" coming right up at me (butt-joke) until my 6th knee surgery (not weight-related) and suddenly realized every single fewer pound on this leg buys me time.

I'm now around 225lbs and still consider myself "fat" on account of still sporting a bit of a gut and some thicc legs, even though I now fit into some spiffy business-casual attire, but my concern about catching the 'rona is more due to the fact that I'm a thrombosis risk, and can't be administered the same type/amount of medication like antibiotics for supra-infections should I ever require intensive care.

Well, that was quite an unsolicited E/N post, thanks for listening :shobon:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Guys, we are in good hands. Trump called on his old buddy Vince McMahon to help restart the economy.

"I screwed America? America screwed America.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Obesity typically goes hand in hand with higher inflammation / poor resolution of inflammation. Type 2 diabetes also goes with this taking it even further.

Someone with flu, covid or other diseases that trigger a large / systemic inflammatory response are gonna have a bad time.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jaguars! posted:

From Dave Barry's history of the US, published in 1989:

The man has been a punchline for at least 5/7ths of his life.

i may never forget dave barry writing that "trump" sounds like something sick farm animals do, as in "stand back earl, she's about to trump!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bulletsponge13 posted:

Guys, we are in good hands. Trump called on his old buddy Vince McMahon to help restart the economy.

"I screwed America? America screwed America.

Thanks to PSP, I learned that it's not just Vince McMahon and some other ghouls.

Be at peace, because Dana White, who currently is planning the continuation of UFC-events on a Mortal-Kombat-tier "Fighter Island" in spite of the crisis, is also part of said council.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Thanks to PSP, I learned that it's not just Vince McMahon and some other ghouls.

Be at peace, because Dana White, who currently is planning the continuation of UFC-events on a Mortal-Kombat-tier "Fighter Island" in spite of the crisis, is also part of said council.

C'mon- you don't think Robert Kraft could get us out of this?

Vince will body slam the economy!

gently caress it. I'm going to try and enjoy the Final seasons of America.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What can Trump actually do to "restart the economy" what ever the gently caress that means if no one actually pays attention to the dude? Cool, movie theaters/sports/what ever opens up but what does that matter if no one with discretionary spending actually goes out for fear of the corona? I mean sure you'll end up with weirdos who hang on trumps words going out and being dumb, but they're already doing it as far as I can tell.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

What can Trump actually do to "restart the economy" what ever the gently caress that means if no one actually pays attention to the dude? Cool, movie theaters/sports/what ever opens up but what does that matter if no one with discretionary spending actually goes out for fear of the corona? I mean sure you'll end up with weirdos who hang on trumps words going out and being dumb, but they're already doing it as far as I can tell.

Trump could easily cause a situation where chud businessowners call their employees back to work in direct opposition to the orders of the state governor. Right now the chuds are grumbling but still abiding state leadership.

What I don't get about the "re-open the economy!" chuds is how they expect to force people to patronize businesses that are just going to make them sick. It's not my loving duty to catch the 'rona at a movie theater.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

Trump could easily cause a situation where chud businessowners call their employees back to work in direct opposition to the orders of the state governor. Right now the chuds are grumbling but still abiding state leadership.

What I don't get about the "re-open the economy!" chuds is how they expect to force people to patronize businesses that are just going to make them sick. It's not my loving duty to catch the 'rona at a movie theater.

Did or did not we just have Florida spring break a few weeks ago? There are plenty of people who will run right out to stores, arenas, and theaters as soon as they’re open regardless of how terrible an idea it is.

Poorly adapted to current conditions, or less politely too dumb to live.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is that a chud rally against the lockdown happening in Michigan I'm seeing on gloomtube? Lots of gadsden flags, flags in general.

For fucks sake.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Is that a chud rally against the lockdown happening in Michigan I'm seeing on gloomtube? Lots of gadsden flags, flags in general.

For fucks sake.

They can't lock down the streets! Only we can lock down the streets!

See also:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The IMF is finally doing something that's unironically good for the world.

https://www.imf2020.org/press

IMF posted:

We are moving forward with a new process that will immediately cancel the debt of the 27 countries facing debt distress. Additionally, all 76 of the World Bank's International Development Association (IDA) countries will receive full debt cancellation. All developing countries categorized either as Middle Income Countries or Low Income Countries who face high debt vulnerabilities will see a full cancellation of debt. In total, this new process will apply to 111 countries. These countries will receive full cancellation of all debts as they wrestle with the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

Did or did not we just have Florida spring break a few weeks ago? There are plenty of people who will run right out to stores, arenas, and theaters as soon as they’re open regardless of how terrible an idea it is.

Poorly adapted to current conditions, or less politely too dumb to live.

I don't think it's plenty enough to keep those businesses running like they used to for more than a few weeks, and certainly not once those people start getting sick and are forced to stay home anyway. I can think of a number of people who would take the chance but I suspect a lot more would not.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

drat, the IMF actually doing something good for once.

I'm sure Trmup will hate it and tweet viciously.

I swear I'm one more brain-melting tweet away from going on a Kirk-Razer meltdown.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

golden bubble posted:

holy poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That is nuts. That's some world-reshaping poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

I don't think it's plenty enough to keep those businesses running like they used to for more than a few weeks, and certainly not once those people start getting sick and are forced to stay home anyway. I can think of a number of people who would take the chance but I suspect a lot more would not.

There will be reports of how awesome the earnings were for the first week and that will be used to pressure everyone else into opening everything everywhere. Then we all get sick and die and it’s twice as bad as it is now.

golden bubble posted:

I don’t trust the IMF not to put in a provision to reinstate those debts sometime in the future.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

is that legit?

only thing im seeing is this

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/g-20-has-agreed-to-debt-standstill-for-worlds-poorest-countries-imf-and-world-bank-heads-say-2020-04-15

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2020/04/13/pr20151-imf-executive-board-approves-immediate-debt-relief-for-25-countries

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's coming straight from the Spring Meetings of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank Group today.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Well that is absolutely unexpected and a welcome change from the downpour of bad news and bad decisions.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It’s so nice of the colonizers to take a moment of pity on the colonized

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1250149763548188672
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1249784419990282240

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

golden bubble posted:

There's no way they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. I'd love to see the powerpoint slide that convinced them this was the best move.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

There's no way they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. I'd love to see the powerpoint slide that convinced them this was the best move.

The IMF and World Bank aren’t exactly the horrifically predatory organizations that they were 20 years ago or so. There’s been a lot of change in leadership and the way that they engage with countries, and while their actions definitely deserve observation and scrutiny and criticism where needed, not everything they do is calculated with “how do we gently caress over the poor today?” up front.

This is at least my impression having worked with some Bank/Fund people in the field, mostly in a security context.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

For fucks sake.

https://twitter.com/btreports/status/1250449677004259328

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1250469850570346496

These are mostly protestors from the rural portions of the state, that haven't really been affected by coronavirus. They're about to be. It's all dumb political posturing, except the virus doesn't give a poo poo if you're owning libs.

Note: This is as the state has the 3rd highest amount of cases, without the 3rd highest population. The Metro Detroit area is getting skullfucked while the rural chuds are coming in yelling WHAT ABOUT ARE FREEDUM

There's a good article about this going nationwide: https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1250477318855852032

The main driver of this whole thing is rich idiots being in charge of the message at Fox News, either on the talent side or the takling-head-businessman side. A secondary driver is Trump repeating that message because all he does is watch TV. If either of those things weren't true, a lot of lives could be saved by just telling these chuddy fucks to stay home and/or take this poo poo seriously at a minimum.z

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 15, 2020

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The IMF and World Bank aren’t exactly the horrifically predatory organizations that they were 20 years ago or so. There’s been a lot of change in leadership and the way that they engage with countries, and while their actions definitely deserve observation and scrutiny and criticism where needed, not everything they do is calculated with “how do we gently caress over the poor today?” up front.

This is at least my impression having worked with some Bank/Fund people in the field, mostly in a security context.

They also have their poo poo pretty strapped down with regard to research and modeling the impact of their different decisions, so they'll look even at things that go against the typical neoliberal line but there's too much data saying it's a good idea. Like debt forgiveness - I guarandamntee that the decision wasn't made because of activists, but instead because of an oh-poo poo moment looking at what was likely to happen if they didn't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Figure out which old white guy is going to get more money as a result and you’ll have your answer.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What the gently caress is this Shao khan bullshit?

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

golden bubble posted:

kill me now, I've seen everything

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BurningChrome posted:

Lord you can take me now, I've seen it all.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
JFC
https://twitter.com/MarquardtA/status/1249772062752849921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Some pretty damning maps here. No matter what way you look at it, it’s loss

https://twitter.com/lastpositivist/status/1250179539399069701?s=20