Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

RockyB posted:

Yeah and all those engaged left wing yoof aren't going to loving vote, because all they can see is two brands of the same old shite. The next five years under Starmer are likely to see a complete loss of faith in the Labour party as an actual vehicle of change, in much the same way as the democractic party over in the US is going to hand Trump a second term on a silver platter. See already the utter lack of firebrand post-Corbyn leadership candidates and that 'No vote' beat Starmer.

There was that report about the declining lack of faith in democracy over the past 20 years in western countries a couple of months back. Look at the malaise graph on page 12 and the massive jump in US and UK disgruntlement.

2025 election: Does Stormzy endorse Starmer? Like gently caress he does.

The thing about young people is they don't stay young forever? My point is the youth (and frankly defining "youth" as "under-40" is already massively stretching it, as much as I want to imagine I'm still young) are left wing and they're aging into the bracket of people who vote reliably. The right wing are already there, but they're dying off at the other end and not being replaced.

And do people really think that all the lefties leaving Labour is going to improve or worsen a Starmer leadership?

E: 154: The current fighting strength of the national revolutionary forces that will overthrow the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

XMNN posted:

761 dead in hospitals in England, which I think is going to be free of any weekend effect by now?

sort of a faint glimmer of good news if it's sustained for a few days?

sounds like care homes are a living nightmare though

in a completely anecdotal barometer of how bad the situation in hospitals is, my dad hasn't actually been asked to go in to help out yet, which is a bit odd. I feel like if they were really hurting for staff he would be one of the first people called back as he's a very recently retired anaesthetist and his colleagues specifically reached out to him. Apparently they're nearing a 100 COVID deaths but I don't know if that's a lot relative to the capacity of the hospital.

Bank holiday added another day of reporting lag, surely.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Comrade Fakename posted:

The number 1 reason why austerity is dead as a political project - that is, no party, not even the Tories, will actively promote it as a solution now, and that all parties agree (in word at least) that for instance the NHS needs to be funded more - is that Corbyn was leader of the Labour party. This might just seem like a rhetorical difference but it fundamentally limits what the Tories can do to destroy this country.

Electoral politics did that. If Corbyn was elected before, there's no reason why it would be impossible for another leftist leader to win in the future, even if it didn't happen this time. And don't forget the demographics: every year more of them die and more of us age into adulthood. And of course, there's a lot more to the party than the leadership, and the only way Starmer could get elected was promising to implement almost the entire Corbyn agenda.

God knows it's plenty poo poo, but electoralism is how stuff gets done in this country. Or you can lie back, smug that you disapprove of everything, waiting for a revolution that will never happen (and you can ask the Arab Spring countries about how well it went when it did).

If you think austerity is dead you're dreaming. Austerity is AT BEST on pause for a month or two whilst the government gets enough popularity to start turbofucking the poor for their own profit again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

Austerity will absolutely make a comeback as a political idea, all the rightwingers need to do is point at the debt to GDP ratio which will explode over the next year and start saying that no matter how good, well deserving or possibly even essential a service is, that it's just not feasible to keep it going under current conditions and it needs to be reduced or the private sector needs to bear some of the costs and so cuts and privatisation takes place (although there's really little left to cut or privatise).

They'll also push it as a need for britane to be lean and mean after brexit for maximum competitiveness, especially after all this

also where's Pochoclo and Rarity these days??

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

XMNN posted:

761 dead in hospitals in England, which I think is going to be free of any weekend effect by now?

sort of a faint glimmer of good news if it's sustained for a few days?
This is NHS England's current understanding of in-hospital deaths by actual date, as of yesterday 5pm.

The 'provision' bars are the ones the NHS themselves label as 'Data likely to change' Most the deaths are recorded within five days but they still continue to get noted after that. For example, only 81% of the deaths known to have occurred on the 31st March were collated in the first five days. The long-tail of reports seems to have gotten longer, presumably as the hospital system has been more overworked. If you apply an 80% rule to the first couple of red bars then we're still in the flattening stage rather that decreasing stage.

This shows how quickly NHS England is currently able to account for deaths. For the 1st May, it's taken ten days to converge on something that looks like a final number.

ref: https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

Yeah it is rather questionable, given the timing and material details, that Cuban intervention in Angola really did have the kind of definitive effect of ending apartheid that is commonly claimed here.
Everyone in South Africa was sick of the war even by the 80s, it was like if an even longer running Vietnam was happening right on your doorstep. That the government's response was to go fully fash and up the bans and repression of literature didn't help either. The final resignation to defeat and the independence of Namibia completely shattered any strong stable hand of government that they might have claimed, and less than three months after the 1989 Namibian parliamentary election, de Klerk made an announcement unbanning the ANC and promising to release Mandela, suspend capital punishment and end the state of emergency.

Those were all tied together with the war so much in the national consciousness that it's no surprise that within 2 years there was a referendum to end apartheid and it easily passed.

https://monthlyreview.org/2013/04/01/the-military-defeat-of-the-south-africans-in-angola/

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

XMNN posted:

in a completely anecdotal barometer of how bad the situation in hospitals is, my dad hasn't actually been asked to go in to help out yet, which is a bit odd. I feel like if they were really hurting for staff he would be one of the first people called back as he's a very recently retired anaesthetist and his colleagues specifically reached out to him. Apparently they're nearing a 100 COVID deaths but I don't know if that's a lot relative to the capacity of the hospital.

a relative of mine who's a GP in London says his local hospital has got ~20 empty ICU beds and the feeling is that they won't even need to use the Nightingale

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lmao Starmer's decision to focus on the exit strategy as a criticism is not going down well with literally anyone, in any of the groups I'm in

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Similar story from a friend who is a consultant in Brighton, they're busy but not much more than normal and nowhere close to overwhelmed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Those with green fingers in London and the South East might be interested in Plantsavers, who are doing lucky-dip deliveries of plants from closed garden centres (and also compost deliveries if you just need that) at relatively cheap prices.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

This is NHS England's current understanding of in-hospital deaths by actual date, as of yesterday 5pm.

The 'provision' bars are the ones the NHS themselves label as 'Data likely to change' Most the deaths are recorded within five days but they still continue to get noted after that. For example, only 81% of the deaths known to have occurred on the 31st March were collated in the first five days. The long-tail of reports seems to have gotten longer, presumably as the hospital system has been more overworked. If you apply an 80% rule to the first couple of red bars then we're still in the flattening stage rather that decreasing stage.

This shows how quickly NHS England is currently able to account for deaths. For the 1st May, it's taken ten days to converge on something that looks like a final number.

ref: https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

If they can tell how many deaths we're going to have on the 1st of May I think our problems are already over. Other problems - that the NHS is now run by necromancers using the dead to predict the future - may just be starting though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those with green fingers in London and the South East might be interested in Plantsavers, who are doing lucky-dip deliveries of plants from closed garden centres (and also compost deliveries if you just need that) at relatively cheap prices.

Looks like flowers only not veggies I assume?

Edit: would read that Laundry Files novel

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If they can tell how many deaths we're going to have on the 1st of May I think our problems are already over. Other problems - that the NHS is now run by necromancers using the dead to predict the future - may just be starting though.
Call me Mystic Meg.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Looks like flowers only not veggies I assume?

Edit: would read that Laundry Files novel

I've never seen a garden centre sell potted veggies so probably not, no - can't hurt to drop them a line and ask though.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've never seen a garden centre sell potted veggies so probably not, no - can't hurt to drop them a line and ask though.

Many garden centres sell many vegetables, especially at this time of year. All your tomatoes, cucumbers, chillies, aubergines - all that greenhouse stuff - is just coming into season and you’ve also got seedlings of most brassicas available. Loads of stuff.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
That's Ian Blackford and Nicola Sturgeon now both calling for UBI.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They do usually sell them in small rectangular trays or individual pots for tomatoes/peppers/curcubits (similar to the herbs). The rectangular ones are never that great imo because they cram in too many plants and it's difficult to separate them out.

It sounds like those people are focusing more on bigger individual pots of perennials rather than bedding. The herb and veg modules are tiny and I assume very low margin.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Coohoolin posted:

gently caress. It's a pity the Tory party mantra is 'do the opposite of what Scotland wants'.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Coohoolin posted:

definitely read that B as a D for a second there

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

dispatch_async posted:

They do usually sell them in small rectangular trays or individual pots for tomatoes/peppers/curcubits (similar to the herbs). The rectangular ones are never that great imo because they cram in too many plants and it's difficult to separate them out.

It sounds like those people are focusing more on bigger individual pots of perennials rather than bedding. The herb and veg modules are tiny and I assume very low margin.

That's why I specified potted, these guys seem to be just concentrating on the potted plants coming into flower now that the garden centres will be absolutely stuffed with. presumably because they're the ones with the ROI needed for the centres/nurseries to keep going.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone in South Africa was sick of the war even by the 80s, it was like if an even longer running Vietnam was happening right on your doorstep.

Hence my problem with the claim that, had SA only done somewhat better in the war (as they presumably would have with fewer Cubans), then everything would have been fine.

‘A preceded B’ is not enough to claim ‘A caused B’. It needs to actually matter, to have a mechanism by which it takes effect. Had the Angolans marched into Pretoria and installed a government of occupation that would be clear. Outside that, you are left saying unsupported stuff about how the war.made white South Africans feel, without finding it necessary to explain why that was more important than the general Western rejection of South Africa following the UN arms boycott.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Angepain posted:

Porque no los dos?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Starm Troopers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Political correspondent, New Statesman tweet:

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1250470052362665984?s=20

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Coohoolin posted:

Lmao Starmer's decision to focus on the exit strategy as a criticism is not going down well with literally anyone, in any of the groups I'm in

How come? I'd expect it would go down quite well with people stuck inside with an abusive partner, or a homophobic parent, or kids that are sick of the PS4. He's articulating the sort of question that anyone asks when they're told to stay indoors until notified otherwise.

What he is missing is a couple of wingers to start kicking up a ruckus on his behalf, while being somewhat deniable. Making more of the fact that bin bags aren't acceptable PPE, or that 300,000 tests is a rounding error against what the number should be.
Like, the conservatives have always had Liam Fox or IDS around say something execrable for the cameras so their actual position seems tame by comparison. Labour doesn't seem to be able to do that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Has he been shitcanned?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

serious gaylord posted:

Has he been shitcanned?

I don't know. Hopefully it's not just an accidental omission!

Update:

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1250478544523857922?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Angepain posted:

Ian Dlackford?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Starmer online now saying that the Uk must never return to austerity and that the economy must fundamentally change going forwards. Also talking a lot about unity lol.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pistol_Pete posted:

Starmer online now saying that the Uk must never return to austerity and that the economy must fundamentally change going forwards. Also talking a lot about unity lol.

Good turnout so far, they're saying over 10k on zoom. They are actually taking questions (lol, 1,700 sent in so far!), although I dare say with that many people on the call there will be lots of grouping and sifting.

Keir so far talking very strongly about lack of tests etc. Seems to be on top of government's previous test targets and where they are against them.

He actually comes across relatively normally when he's in full flow. Not half as awkward as he is when doing a speech.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I must say that I'm encouraged at how quickly we appear to have moved into the flattening zone. Not to minimise the tragedies occurring every day in our hospitals and care homes, but I was expecting that daily death number to shoot way, way, past Italy given the delay in our lockdown and its comparative slackness. Perhaps this might be an indication that the severity of lockdown doesn't need to be Alcatraz-level in order to get the bulk of the benefit of reducing transmission?

Edit: vv Agreed. Some genuine upset in Angela's voice IMO.
Edit2: Although god I just *hate* "Ange". That word triggers me so bad for some random reason.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 15, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Raynor seems genuinely upset about the contents of the report, Starmer somewhat less so.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Has Starmerdroid ever show great emotion about anything?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

Hence my problem with the claim that, had SA only done somewhat better in the war (as they presumably would have with fewer Cubans), then everything would have been fine.

‘A preceded B’ is not enough to claim ‘A caused B’. It needs to actually matter, to have a mechanism by which it takes effect. Had the Angolans marched into Pretoria and installed a government of occupation that would be clear. Outside that, you are left saying unsupported stuff about how the war.made white South Africans feel, without finding it necessary to explain why that was more important than the general Western rejection of South Africa following the UN arms boycott.
The arms embargo and the product boycotts and the state repression were problems, but they're problems that states routinely carry on with for long periods of time. (And the CIA were quite happy to circumvent the embargo in the name of fighting communism.)

What a state can't carry on with is a loss of the idea of the national mission, and South Africa's was militarism under the doctrine that they had superior firepower and tactics and the enemy were a bunch of bush people with spears and rocks. The crushing defeat at Cuito Cuanavale, and the government having to negotiate defeat and depart Namibia in an orderly fashion in order to get out of the mess they made was a blow to the government and national psyche on a huge scale.

Bringing in de Klerk to fold on literally everything that had been the South African national mission both foreign and domestic within a month of finalizing withdrawal from Namibia should tell you something of the national mood at the time.

It wasn't just the one event of Cuito Cuanavale, it was the culmination of 22 years of constant war in such a pants-making GBS threads damp squib that caused a crack ping and the National Party to throw away everything since Verwoerd.

I can't prove how people then were feeling (other than that people who were there said so) but even the newspapers who were usually poked if they stepped out of line during the state of emergency were calling it a national humiliation, and the fears of civil war were at their highest point because of the crushing defeat and the border getting quite a bit closer.

But overall the throwing out of over 40 years of NP philosophy happened pretty quickly after the loss of South-West Africa, and that happened at the scale that it did due to the loss of air superiority as SA's jets were completely outclassed by newer MiGs.

It's a counterfactual, I know, but I could totally see the South African state continue as a repressive apartheid state under international disapproval for a few more decades if they hadn't tripped over their own dicks and instead had negotiated a peace deal over Angola, but it would not have been in the character of the state of the time to do so. See also: Hitler, A.

I know I'm not the only one who believes that Cuban interventionism was a big part in its unraveling.

Prince John posted:

I must say that I'm encouraged at how quickly we appear to have moved into the flattening zone. Not to minimise the tragedies occurring every day in our hospitals and care homes, but I was expecting that daily death number to shoot way, way, past Italy given the delay in our lockdown and its comparative slackness. Perhaps this might be an indication that the severity of lockdown doesn't need to be Alcatraz-level in order to get the bulk of the benefit of reducing transmission?
Wasn't there a thing about 50% lockdown being almost as good as 90% lockdown or something, I remember something like that ITT.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't there a thing about 50% lockdown being almost as good as 90% lockdown or something, I remember something like that ITT.
Sweden will be laughing if that's a known thing.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Pistol_Pete posted:

Raynor seems genuinely upset about the contents of the report, Starmer somewhat less so.

He already saw it a week before anyone else though, right?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Scikar posted:

He already saw it a week before anyone else though, right?

And he still wanted to appoint Emily Oldknow as Labour General Secretary

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RivkahBrown/status/1250493994657857543?s=19

Ahahahhaha worthless

I was too nice when I called every Starmer voter a loving idiot.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Prince John posted:

Edit2: Although god I just *hate* "Ange". That word triggers me so bad for some random reason.

This is actually quite common from what i've heard. people keep telling me how they can't stand Ange pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah, absolutely no idea what Stamers game is asking about the exit strategy, there hasn't been an entry strategy or a peak strategy yet.

Honesty just comes across as the most transparent political points grabbing and makes him look like he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about, not a good start Keir.