Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Celexi posted:

This would make sense if you didn't actively post how great the ps3 was over the 360 lol

I mean, depending on the context they’re not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The crowd starts chanting stux name as he types out an epic post...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Celexi posted:

This would make sense if you didn't actively post how great the ps3 was over the 360 lol

And yes nintendo is bad too!

all i did last gen was post about how ps3 games were all brown and motorstorm was the only game and i didnt get a ps3 until a year before it was discontinued lmao

by the end of the generation though yeah the ps3 was better once microsoft decided to only make kinect games and sony actually decided to release any games at all and make the stupid thing not cost $600. only took 7 years.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Barudak posted:

I did once notice inexplicably different sound mixing from streaming to blu-ray. One of two films I ever bought on Blu-Ray had a voice track that was so quiet I couldn't turn up the volume loud enough to hear it without blowing out my ears on the sound effects but the streaming versions are all perfectly fine. It was such a stupid experience it further cemented in me a complete aversion to bluray

I have a copy of the bluray disc Sunshine. It plays in all consoles/blu-ray players in some bugged out mode wherein the directors commentary is automatically played, and there's literally no way to stop it from playing. The distributer blamed it on changing standards I think. In any case, I haven't found any way to actually watch this move, streaming or not. Blurays are loving pieces of poo poo.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ok Comboomer posted:

gotta see those puppets bone in schweeeet 4k....

Puppet scat in 4k... :rms:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stux posted:

all i did last gen was post about how ps3 games were all brown and motorstorm was the only game and i didnt get a ps3 until a year before it was discontinued lmao

by the end of the generation though yeah the ps3 was better once microsoft decided to only make kinect games and sony actually decided to release any games at all and make the stupid thing not cost $600. only took 7 years.

consider that by like 2011 Microsoft had managed to totally blow their sizeable market share lead—and while we can all agree that it ultimately doesn’t matter and isn’t a good metric for success, doesn’t it still say something about how they managed their console?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Stux posted:

oh, forgot the time they tried to make a console platform with DRM that would make you unable to resell physical game purchases lol

I forgot to address this, that actually was good and you could resell games, it was going to have a marketplace and since you could turn a physical license into a digital you wouldn't have to worry about the disc stopping working, out of all the lovely things the xbox had initially planned, this was not one of them.
Oh, you also could share games instantly without exchanging discs, but alas it never came to fruition because most people didn't know how it worked lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While I agree conceptually that sounded interesting, I dont think any of that actually existed except a fevered panic backtrack concept before just removing the whole thing entirely.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

Related question: does Plex support 4k? I'm an idiot who only two days ago realized I could set up a Plex server on the Xbox.

Plex 4K playback on the Xbox one is bad. Basically the only good solution for good 4K playback for Plex is an NVIDIA Shield. Plex has been blaming Microsoft for it for the past few years but have also been saying they're just about to fix it for the past few years.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Barudak posted:

While I agree conceptually that sounded interesting, I dont think any of that actually existed except a fevered panic backtrack concept before just removing the whole thing entirely.

It was funny when Major Nelson was doing that "You can't just push a button" thing in defense of it and then Microsoft changed it in a day. At least he owned it though when people rightfully mocked him for it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:gas:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

It was funny when Major Nelson was doing that "You can't just push a button" thing in defense of it and then Microsoft changed it in a day. At least he owned it though when people rightfully mocked him for it.

“tell Microsoft to push the whopper button”

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Celexi posted:

I forgot to address this, that actually was good and you could resell games, it was going to have a marketplace and since you could turn a physical license into a digital you wouldn't have to worry about the disc stopping working, out of all the lovely things the xbox had initially planned, this was not one of them.
Oh, you also could share games instantly without exchanging discs, but alas it never came to fruition because most people didn't know how it worked lol

No, their plan was only a single license transfer was possible (so if you bought a "used" game you were stuck with it outright), and only the "bigger" stores would have the system in place to process people's codes (automatically a non-starter in many countries like Japan), and you would have not been able to resell it yourself directly. They never really got to explain how the digital learning plan was and people thought that meant 10 people could split the new Call of Duty for $60 each. Microsoft was still at this time requiring people to have XBL just to be able to access Netflix (you still had to pay normally for Netflix beyond that), there is no way in hell they were planning anything that would have been beneficial to consumers at that time.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Plex 4K playback on the Xbox one is bad.

I find Plex has trouble with 4K outright, regardless of where you're playing it. Even if it worked you'd need separate files for HDR and SDR playback anyway. When I'm playing my 4K Linux ISOs I just do straight remuxes from the disc images to an MKV and direct play those via external on either my TV directly or an Nvidia SHIELD.

Barudak posted:

I did once notice inexplicably different sound mixing from streaming to blu-ray. One of two films I ever bought on Blu-Ray had a voice track that was so quiet I couldn't turn up the volume loud enough to hear it without blowing out my ears on the sound effects but the streaming versions are all perfectly fine. It was such a stupid experience it further cemented in me a complete aversion to bluray

This is another unspoken element of Blu-ray, a lot of them really expect you to have some form of 5.1 setup and their audio track isn't always well suited to a stereo downmix. Sometimes you can fiddle with settings to lower the dynamic range being output or otherwise have the sound mixed differently and get better results. However, Netflix and iTunes and I think other digital platforms typically do have a proper Stereo track. You might have to specifically select it, but it's at least there, and frankly should be a standard on all physical media outright IMO. It's a properly-done mix and far better than any equipment you have auto-downmixing to stereo.

mem posted:

Yeah I mean if you listen using your TV's speakers you probably won't notice a difference, but whereas a disc has about 3-5 times the bitrate on video it will have around 10 times the bitrate on audio. Not to mention the hit or miss on audio configurations (dts-hd/Dolby/etc).

This is true but again you're not going to get any benefit from a Stereo AAC track if you're just outputting to your TV.

On iTunes at least the old standard was that you'd have a 128kbps stereo AAC track and a 384kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3 track. That said, iTunes specifically offers higher video and audio bitrates for at least their more recent stuff if you're streaming vs if you download it via iTunes and play it from there. When streaming, they also offer Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 (so eac3 format), as well as a lossy version of Dolby Atmos on some of their releases (usually the ones they have in 4K but there are HD-only exceptions). Netflix, likewise, used to do the straight Dolby Digital 5.1 at 384kbps and Stereo (pretty sure it was 128kbps, not sure if it was AAC or AC3), but now they do eac3, usually it's something like 256kbps for Stereo and 640kbps for 5.1. If you don't specifically have a setup above 5.1 it's pretty commonly accepted amongst those who don't pay five figures a foot for their audio cables that humans aren't capable of accurately sussing out the difference between this level of lossiness and true lossless, with all else being equal (it can be difficult to get an accurate comparison since the physical media might not necessarily be mixed the same as the streaming version).

Fly Ricky posted:

Today I learned my Xbox One has a 4k Blu-ray player.

Is there a 4k version of Team America: World Police? Otherwise this feature is loving worthless.

Related question: does Plex support 4k? I'm an idiot who only two days ago realized I could set up a Plex server on the Xbox.

See above for Plex. You might be able to get it to work OK. I don't think Plex properly supports Atmos, though, but I don't have the gear for it so I'm not 100% sure on that.

For Team America, not only is there no 4K version, but there isn't even an uncut version in 1080p. This underscores a general problem with the post-DVD physical media scape, the higher resolutions as well as the advanced stuff Blu-ray (and UHD Blu-ray which mostly uses the same tech) uses, coupled with the far less lucrative physical media marketplace than at DVD's peak, means a lot of Blu-rays are phoned in and more often than not can be equivalent to those DVDs where the only features they advertise on the cover are "chapters" and "interactive menus".

Here's a guy with an insane physical media collection (of all kinds) talking about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tetXKdi9U3c

This laziness by extension is pronounced enough that UHD Blu-ray is another step down where there are a surprisingly large number of movies (and major ones at that) where 4K is only available digitally somehow. Sometimes there's a future plan for it (e.g. they only just released all eleven-ish Star Wars films on UHD Blu-ray two weeks ago, while they've been in 4K on Disney+ since the service launched in November), sometimes there isn't (e.g. Taxi Driver has been in 4K on iTunes for at least a year, possibly even 2, and still has no formal announcement of a UHD Blu-ray release).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Celexi posted:

They Both do suck, but by promoting the harmful "exclusives own on ps4" you are more or less advertising for sony.

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

No, their plan was only a single license transfer was possible (so if you bought a "used" game you were stuck with it outright), and only the "bigger" stores would have the system in place to process people's codes (automatically a non-starter in many countries like Japan), and you would have not been able to resell it yourself directly. They never really got to explain how the digital learning plan was and people thought that meant 10 people could split the new Call of Duty for $60 each. Microsoft was still at this time requiring people to have XBL just to be able to access Netflix (you still had to pay normally for Netflix beyond that), there is no way in hell they were planning anything that would have been beneficial to consumers at that time.

I find Plex has trouble with 4K outright, regardless of where you're playing it. Even if it worked you'd need separate files for HDR and SDR playback anyway. When I'm playing my 4K Linux ISOs I just do straight remuxes from the disc images to an MKV and direct play those via external on either my TV directly or an Nvidia SHIELD.

This is another unspoken element of Blu-ray, a lot of them really expect you to have some form of 5.1 setup and their audio track isn't always well suited to a stereo downmix. Sometimes you can fiddle with settings to lower the dynamic range being output or otherwise have the sound mixed differently and get better results. However, Netflix and iTunes and I think other digital platforms typically do have a proper Stereo track. You might have to specifically select it, but it's at least there, and frankly should be a standard on all physical media outright IMO. It's a properly-done mix and far better than any equipment you have auto-downmixing to stereo.

This is true but again you're not going to get any benefit from a Stereo AAC track if you're just outputting to your TV.

On iTunes at least the old standard was that you'd have a 128kbps stereo AAC track and a 384kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 AC3 track. That said, iTunes specifically offers higher video and audio bitrates for at least their more recent stuff if you're streaming vs if you download it via iTunes and play it from there. When streaming, they also offer Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 (so eac3 format), as well as a lossy version of Dolby Atmos on some of their releases (usually the ones they have in 4K but there are HD-only exceptions). Netflix, likewise, used to do the straight Dolby Digital 5.1 at 384kbps and Stereo (pretty sure it was 128kbps, not sure if it was AAC or AC3), but now they do eac3, usually it's something like 256kbps for Stereo and 640kbps for 5.1. If you don't specifically have a setup above 5.1 it's pretty commonly accepted amongst those who don't pay five figures a foot for their audio cables that humans aren't capable of accurately sussing out the difference between this level of lossiness and true lossless, with all else being equal (it can be difficult to get an accurate comparison since the physical media might not necessarily be mixed the same as the streaming version).

See above for Plex. You might be able to get it to work OK. I don't think Plex properly supports Atmos, though, but I don't have the gear for it so I'm not 100% sure on that.

For Team America, not only is there no 4K version, but there isn't even an uncut version in 1080p. This underscores a general problem with the post-DVD physical media scape, the higher resolutions as well as the advanced stuff Blu-ray (and UHD Blu-ray which mostly uses the same tech) uses, coupled with the far less lucrative physical media marketplace than at DVD's peak, means a lot of Blu-rays are phoned in and more often than not can be equivalent to those DVDs where the only features they advertise on the cover are "chapters" and "interactive menus".

Here's a guy with an insane physical media collection (of all kinds) talking about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tetXKdi9U3c

This laziness by extension is pronounced enough that UHD Blu-ray is another step down where there are a surprisingly large number of movies (and major ones at that) where 4K is only available digitally somehow. Sometimes there's a future plan for it (e.g. they only just released all eleven-ish Star Wars films on UHD Blu-ray two weeks ago, while they've been in 4K on Disney+ since the service launched in November), sometimes there isn't (e.g. Taxi Driver has been in 4K on iTunes for at least a year, possibly even 2, and still has no formal announcement of a UHD Blu-ray release).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Celexi posted:

can we get the big ironicat for you saying i was advertising for sony before going on an impassioned defence of regressive DRM based on what some melted brain redditors made up because they refused to believe microsoft wanted to lock down your software as much as possible lmao

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

me reading this is how normal people feel when they read avshalom posts about absorbing donald trump through her vagina

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

univbee posted:

yeah if those are the bitrates you cant hear t he difference between a streamed version and a bluray

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

univbee posted:

For Team America, not only is there no 4K version, but there isn't even an uncut version in 1080p.

Thanks in advance for saving me the time of even bothering to watch the Blu-ray of it. I'll stick with my DVD-rip.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

Thanks in advance for saving me the time of even bothering to watch the Blu-ray of it. I'll stick with my DVD-rip.

There is nothing more Xbox than a 480p experience.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

univbee posted:

New thread title pls

Either that or: by promoting the harmful "exclusives own on ps4" you are more or less advertising for sony

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 14, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

New thread title pls

Either that or: by promoting the harmful "exclusives own on ps4" you are more or less advertising for sony

Its the latter imo

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Stux posted:

can we get the big ironicat for you saying i was advertising for sony before going on an impassioned defence of regressive DRM based on what some melted brain redditors made up because they refused to believe microsoft wanted to lock down your software as much as possible lmao

Uh, it wasn't made up and it didn't exist anyway, still cant deny that turning a disc license (which is drm, and most disc games you have to download a second part, so lol if you think having a disc makes you free from the reigns of drm) into a digital license would have been good for people that are not going to resell it as it made it easier to share the game

univbee posted:

I didn't know about the retail requirement which wouldn't have been great, I have been able to play plex 4k on my xbox fine using my pc as server though I have not used the xbox as a server and didn't even know that was a possibility

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A disc does free you from most DRM issues, updates or not. Sure, if you buy the disc version of Overwatch you have to redownload the whole game so the disc is legit just a license, however it’s a physical license and all that entails. You can rent it from a Redbox kiosk. You can resell it or trade it in. You can lend it to a friend. Other people can use it on a console that isn’t your primary activated console. If the game releases and is a garbage fire you have much better return avenues usually (Amazon will just “whatever” and take it back for a full refund). If a store has too many copies they’ll fire sale them, or to compete with other retailers they’ll undercut MSRP and sell it day one at a discount (this is the norm outside of the US and Canada, in fact). You can do all these things no matter how much Activision Blizzard don’t want you to. And that is the stuff Microsoft wanted to take away for everyone.

Currently the only real advantage digital offers is pre-loading and not having to get up to change discs, although you trade off all the other stuff I listed for the privilege. Next gen could take things further by, for example, making all cross-gen titles do cross-buy for digital (something Sony did a few times with PS3/PS4), or letting you play games you own digitally via the cloud.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Celexi posted:

it wasn't made up and it didn't exist anyway

Celexi posted:

still cant deny that turning a disc license (which is drm, and most disc games you have to download a second part, so lol if you think having a disc makes you free from the reigns of drm) into a digital license would have been good for people that are not going to resell it as it made it easier to share the game

for who? who cares about doing that at the expense of letting publishers decide if you could sell a disc and if you could, how much you had to pay them for the privilege? and alongside that you had to have your console sign in online every 24 hours or you literally couldnt use your games, even offline. they had that stupid clip where they responded to "what if i dont have access to that" to buy a 360 instead.

if you want to see someone posting in earnest in defence of a company for no reason just turn your monitor off lmao

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

univbee posted:

A disc does free you from most DRM issues, updates or not. Sure, if you buy the disc version of Overwatch you have to redownload the whole game so the disc is legit just a license, however it’s a physical license and all that entails. You can rent it from a Redbox kiosk. You can resell it or trade it in. You can lend it to a friend. Other people can use it on a console that isn’t your primary activated console. If the game releases and is a garbage fire you have much better return avenues usually (Amazon will just “whatever” and take it back for a full refund). If a store has too many copies they’ll fire sale them, or to compete with other retailers they’ll undercut MSRP and sell it day one at a discount (this is the norm outside of the US and Canada, in fact). You can do all these things no matter how much Activision Blizzard don’t want you to. And that is the stuff Microsoft wanted to take away for everyone.

Currently the only real advantage digital offers is pre-loading and not having to get up to change discs, although you trade off all the other stuff I listed for the privilege. Next gen could take things further by, for example, making all cross-gen titles do cross-buy for digital (something Sony did a few times with PS3/PS4), or letting you play games you own digitally via the cloud.

How about it had been released with a compromise of allowing the users to pick to turn a disc to a digital license or not?
Obviously this would have made harder for redbox and the like to track if the license had not been converted and the disc was useless, but still

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

univbee posted:

I will accept nothing in between ultra low-fi or ultra high-fi puppet porn. :colbert:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Celexi posted:

How about it had been released with a compromise of allowing the users to pick to turn a disc to a digital license or not?
Obviously this would have made harder for redbox and the like to track if the license had not been converted and the disc was useless, but still

There are a TON of issues with this.

- How do you do this on a technical level in a way that makes the disc work offline while also making it so you can somehow invalidate it? We don’t even have a cheap effective way of making it so individual discs in a production run are somehow unique (e.g. have a unique digital serial number).

- If I lend a disc to someone how can I be sure they won’t redeem it to their own account? How can I be sure an idiot family member won’t?

The closest way this could work would be via some form of service where you trade in your game at GameStop and get a digital code for the game, but then they could have been doing that for the last decade but haven’t, you don’t need some new console features to accomplish that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They were going to have some way to have the discs uniquely identified, and I think it still made it into the discs.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Stux posted:

for who? who cares about doing that at the expense of letting publishers decide if you could sell a disc and if you could, how much you had to pay them for the privilege? and alongside that you had to have your console sign in online every 24 hours or you literally couldnt use your games, even offline. they had that stupid clip where they responded to "what if i dont have access to that" to buy a 360 instead.

You have consistently posted about how steam refunds were bad on various threads because "developers" so I am sure you'd be okay with such imposed restrictions.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
no i havnt, ive said that the 2 hours played rule as all encompassing has limitations at the fringes, typically where smaller devs reside and there should be nuance to the policy in this instance. ive also said the same going the other way and that larger games where 2 hours might not get you into the main part of the game should have longer windows to allow people to make sure they dont have issues when the whole map unlocks in an open world game where you start in a smaller area etc.

you can just say "i like xbox more" you dont have to make up weird reasons

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Forza horizon 4 isn’t grabbing me as much as 3 did

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Celexi posted:

I forgot to address this, that actually was good and you could resell games, it was going to have a marketplace and since you could turn a physical license into a digital you wouldn't have to worry about the disc stopping working

Oh for sure man.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hambeet posted:

Forza horizon 4 isn’t grabbing me as much as 3 did

Maybe you are less attractive now

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Forza Horizon 4 lacks the sense of progression 3 had from unlocking the additional festival sites. In some ways that's nice because it becomes a game at least for me that is just very 'get out there and drive' and just do whatever, but it certainly lacks some focus I guess.

I'm real interested to see what is coming next in the Forza franchise. I know Horizon 4 was the last game but it seems like Horizon has become the cash-cow. I'd love to see a surprise Horizon 5 but I guess it still makes too much sense to launch the Series X with a new mainline entry.

I'm pretty sure we'll also get an update for Horizon 4 with ray tracing and higher refresh rates at 4k and everything which would be amazing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im pretty sure a new "main" Forza will be the next game since they mentioned explicitly not following their normal release timing for it and delaying the title like a year and change ago.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

*looks at thread title*

What the hell happened here?

It looks like Xbox is going to win the new generation. I just hope they do a better job with the UI.

Thanks for the answer about BC of games running on a external drive.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tei posted:

*looks at thread title*

What the hell happened here?

It looks like Xbox is going to win the new generation. I just hope they do a better job with the UI.

Thanks for the answer about BC of games running on a external drive.

I like the looks of the new Xbox hardware better than PS4 but if PS5 has mostly full back compat with PS4 and it's going to be the first place I can play the FF7Remake sequels then it's no contest for me. At this point it also seems like MS is pretty much telling me not to bother with buying a new Xbox console since my Windows 10 PC is already in the Xbox ecosystem.

In a way I already have a new Xbox, since I can already play a bunch of Xbox games with better graphics and higher frame rate.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think the PS5 will have a very different one since people seem to like the layout a lot and it's readable. But then again, they made some changes to the controller and even renamed it, so who knows how wild they're gonna get with the design of the console or it's user interface... I just hope they put a recognizable movie logo font on there somewhere.

Xbox is constantly having it's layout and design language changed, with features added and removed and stuff moved around. You can't even easily get to the Settings from the guide now, you need to specifically go into My Apps if it isn't already pinned to a group or in your recently used list. It's very dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005

ErrEff posted:

Xbox is constantly having it's layout and design language changed, with features added and removed and stuff moved around. You can't even easily get to the Settings from the guide now, you need to specifically go into My Apps if it isn't already pinned to a group or in your recently used list. It's very dumb.

Not that I'm taking up for MS being dumb about their UI design, but lol at the people complaining about poo poo that isn't true. You can get to the settings menu from the XBOX side menu, along with almost every other menu/section you'd ever need.

PS UI is garbage too. Neither know how to actually design something that is worth using.