Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

Yay!

One day someone's going to break and buy a giant spinning Idris gif

It will be a glorious day
if someone builds it, I'll buy it. even thought I got my income slashed 40% I'm still saving some good money by not going out, not gambling, and eating nothing but costco frozen pizzas and cinnamon rolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

teokarp posted:

Ahh the gilded history.

The higher the monkey climbs the more he shows his rear end.

Edit: :reddit: It is a universe, not a game. Chris has stated this every single time.

That OP being worried about Freelancer happening all over again is like the proverbial canary in the proverbial subreddit mine.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

Glad they're reducing the numbers, but it doesn't address the core of the issue- that the carriers are being designed as mobile stations that are supposed to make a self profit off services offered, but NPC's will not use them to take advantage of the services. And the services aren't good or compelling enough to draw in player traffic. There's basically no reason to have a carrier except as an expensive waypoint in deep space, away from the bubble.

The most fun I've had in Elite in the last year is in deep core mining- a coherent system with a fun loop, decent skill ceiling, and excellent returns. I can't see fleet carriers enhancing a single part of that. My second most fun activity has always been flying a big-rear end ship into a conflict area and wiping one side off the instance, and astonishingly I don't see fleet carriers enhancing that, either. I feel like the whole feature has been completely deflated by the grognard devs who insist that no fun should be allowed for end-game players.

Yeah they're still a nothing burger. Nerfing the edge off the grind mountain hasn't magicked any major gameplay into them. They're just a giant toilet roll with 'MAKE YOUR OWN FUN - RESPONSIBLY' written on the side.

If the DLC doesn't add something interesting I'm going to have to force SC through Vorpx for my VR kicks. Probably roleplaying a dubious alien. (I'm favouring the Ghen-Giskhan. A nomadic species who flock the steppes on hover bikes and multiply uncontrollably).

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Agony Aunt posted:

Love these trips down memory lane.

To be fair to this guy, I thought the same ~8 years back. Sure, CryEngine is a FPS engine first and foremost, but I also thought that something like Arena Commander and a single player campaign could work with it. Heck, I even thought "well, they don't pretend to engineer a groundbreaking star-trek-level-of-tech engine but stick to an (more or less) established one, this could work out".

Now, 8 years later, CIG promised exactly that ("StarEngine"), real progress halted, SQ42 is nowhere to be seen and Arena Commander is all but dead. The thing is, if they would have gone with a custom engine that kickstarter trailer wouldn't be half as impressive at it was back then. Sure, that was only a nice rendition without any game logic behind it, but they could put the "in-engine footage" text on it, which opened a lot of wallets. It suggested a progress that just wasn't (and isn't) there.

Anyway, now steadily approaching year 10, the project sits there with impossible promises, an unfit franken-engine and worst of all, CR at the helm who doesn't give a flying gently caress anymore about those games sold by him back in 2012. However, I hope the next years will be a bit more fertile in terms of entertainment. Since CR doesn't come on camera that often anymore and Sandi was put out of action, things became a bit boring. Thank god this thread exists since CIG refuses to deliver anymore, even on that front.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

if someone builds it, I'll buy it. even thought I got my income slashed 40% I'm still saving some good money by not going out, not gambling, and eating nothing but costco frozen pizzas and cinnamon rolls

We'll have to celebrate the first Idris in the PU somehow :allears:

(And yeah, how loving much was I spending on coffee? Like I miss the banter in bad Italian to get discounts, but I think they might have actually been my dealers...)

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 15, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
thread taxxe

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:vince:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

(And yeah, how loving much was I spending on coffee? Like I miss the banter in bad Italian to get discounts, but I think they might have actually been my dealers...)

You could probably afford a coke habit now, or an Idris.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I seem to remember someone making a celery man / Tayne gif with a Crobear head, anyone got that?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I seem to remember someone making a celery man / Tayne gif with a Crobear head, anyone got that?

Could I see a CROBBLE WOBBLE?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

One minor complaint: the text is unreadable in dark mode on mobile.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Rabbi T. White posted:

One major complaint: you cannot see Crobears sexy eyes because it's to blurry.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

That makes it sexier

(Is the ghost one the same? I just ripped most of it from that. It seemed to have black text on alpha too)

Kosumo posted:

One major complaint: you cannot see Crobears sexy eyes because it's to blurry.

Had to censor. Too much excite.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
It's an alpha you fudsters

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Pixelate posted:

That makes it sexier

(Is the ghost one the same? I just ripped most of it from that. It seemed to have black text on alpha too)

Oh I just checked on the browser and the ghost one *is* black text too so the app must do some trickery in dark mode so you're probably good. :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

By
Ryan
Archer

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://gfycat.com/gravegrizzledcollardlizard

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quality.

Glad CIG are taking their time to get things right.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Yeah the comments under that one are great

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/YBfy4FX.png[/img]"]

The ai is in a weird spot where if you take the mission slowly and safely. It feels mega boring because the ai simply doesnt react and acts in bizzare ways so it feels weird to try and go tactically especially when half the time they dont even fire back. But then when you take the mission fast and say "let's just run through and kill them all since they just stand there anyways" that's when they shoot the ceiling and on the last bullet in their magazine they snap to your head blindingly fast and headshot you immediately.

You just cant win. Hoepfully 3.9 makes these missions fun to do again.

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/YBfy4FX.png[/img]"]

My favorite bunker NPC desync experience was going down into a bunker that appeared to be completely empty (not unusual, happens to me about 60-70% of the time) - only I could hear the NPCs running around, making noises. Suddenly, a good 4-5 NPCs just magically "popped" into existence in a circle surrounding me, and gunned me down instantly in a barrage of gunfire.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I too have favourite bugs in a game I paid for that’s taken 600 people $300,000,00 and 8 years to develop.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Prediction, 2019 was the last CitCon. They won't have on this year due to Covid and going forward they'll just move to a digital con. 2019 was extremely pathetic even for a 1 day event.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

Prediction, 2019 was the last CitCon. They won't have on this year due to Covid and going forward they'll just move to a digital con. 2019 was extremely pathetic even for a 1 day event.

COVID is a great excuse to make it digital. I really think they’ve toyed with this idea before, but they were afraid of a hit to backer confidence.

A convention devoted to an unreleased game that’s 6 years late with no release date in site is absolutely absurd, and the time and expense probably isn’t worth it anymore. Every year they have less and less to show for themselves.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Popete posted:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Torquemada posted:

I too have favourite bugs in a game I paid for that’s taken 600 people $300,000,00 and 8 years to develop.

While that looks like a lot of money it's literally over 10x that amount but I agree, early days!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

https://i.imgur.com/W271Mbs.gifv

Someone get on that poo poo,STAT!

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 16, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Popete posted:

Oh, they've been doing the digital con for a while... :imunfunny:

Or this one:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I can’t hate this guy. Dan Offner’s also cool.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why...why do the tracers come from around the player's head?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bubbacub posted:

Why...why do the tracers come from around the player's head?

FIDELITY

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

More lethal than Call of the Wild

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Star Citizen: It works great in screenshots

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

:iiasb:

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 16, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Is that THAT Kazan?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Early days!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Yes, CIG is well-known for working within of their serve limitations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
:iiasb: is up. Thanks everyone

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

:iiasb: :five:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: :trustme::crobear::iiasb:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

:iiasb: is up. Thanks everyone

Look at this guy, he just paid money for a Chris Roberts jpeg!

You bring shame on all us Fudsters :iiasb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Bob Socko posted:

No Man’s Sky was going to have planetary motion. They removed it before release because it confused people and wasn’t fun. something something Ted talk

Whereas in Elite, the orbital dynamics of the systems are responsible for some of the most jaw-dropping scenes imaginable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B5SxpUN55k