Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
DNR every person that shows up to these protests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

That's not the set of choices we have. If there are millions dying, we will not have any sort of functional health care system and we won't have things "back to normal" at all.

sounds like you hate freedom

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Noise Complaint posted:

i think this one was some kind of celebration, they had balloons and poo poo tied to their cars

they've been reporting on it on the local news, its supposed to cheer people up

also lol at your username + post combo

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

NofrikinfuN posted:

too bad we didnt spend billions of dollars on hospitals or infrastructure projects instead, huh?

Great username/post combo.

Fwiw hospitals in CA and Los Angeles specifically aren't at capacity right now.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

lol

ah yes, the pitchfork mob, raging at the oppressive tyrants preventing them from giving all their labor to a corporation that doesn't give one gently caress about them

lmbo!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wrex Ruckus posted:

lol

ah yes, the pitchfork mob, raging at the oppressive tyrants preventing them from giving all their labor to a corporation that doesn't give one gently caress about them

lmbo!

they've got their tiki torches lit!

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Wrex Ruckus posted:

lol

lmbo!

i'm Torches Lite™

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

started getting a very minor dry cough yesterday, nothing too concerning

just now drinking a soda and it tastes like nothing

currently running around smelling and tasting everything like a baby

- coconut soap: can't smell at all
- cat litter boxes: can barely smell
- another soda from a different box: nothing

well it's been fun posting with you all, see you on the other side

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

brugroffil posted:

they've got their tiki torches lit!

No, they have their tiki torches lite.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

i'm Torches Lite™

nikosoft posted:

No, they have their tiki torches lite.

burns twice as long with only half the calories

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Try vinegar

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

get some of ur spit and freeze it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol this is just astroturfed Tea Party pt 2 poo poo

Iverron
May 13, 2012

what's the goal of these protests? that it was all a hoax? we're dumb as gently caress I know but christ you're wearing masks

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol this is just astroturfed Tea Party pt 2 poo poo

wasn't the first Tea Party astroturfed too? it got wildly out of control and now we have Qultists!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

seems like the IMHE model is dumb garbage for idiots

https://twitter.com/FearIsNotPanic/status/1250129777903747072

https://twitter.com/JeremyKonyndyk/status/1250465373281038336

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Admiral Ray posted:

wasn't the first Tea Party astroturfed too? it got wildly out of control and now we have Qultists!

100%

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
lockdown is an overreaction and must be ended I scream while wearing a respirator from inside my car

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Americans overwhelmingly support continued social distancing measures to fight the coronavirus pandemic despite the impact on the U.S. economy, a new poll finds.

In the Politico/Morning Consult poll released Wednesday, 81 percent of respondents say Americans should “continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus, even if it means continued damage to the economy.”

By comparison, only 10 percent called for the Trump administration to “stop social distancing to stimulate the economy, even if it means increasing the spread of coronavirus.” Nine percent of respondent had no opinion.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/492886-poll-81-percent-say-keep-social-distancing-despite-damage-to-economy

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Iverron posted:

what's the goal of these protests? that it was all a hoax? we're dumb as gently caress I know but christ you're wearing masks

that when 80% of those people get it and half of them die that it’s fake news

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Americans overwhelmingly support continued social distancing measures to fight the coronavirus pandemic despite the impact on the U.S. economy, a new poll finds.

In the Politico/Morning Consult poll released Wednesday, 81 percent of respondents say Americans should “continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus, even if it means continued damage to the economy.”

By comparison, only 10 percent called for the Trump administration to “stop social distancing to stimulate the economy, even if it means increasing the spread of coronavirus.” Nine percent of respondent had no opinion.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/492886-poll-81-percent-say-keep-social-distancing-despite-damage-to-economy

10% is still 33 million idiots, enough to make any protest seem large

give me $1200 and I'll go fake protest for you and wave around a sign halfheartedly

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

brugroffil posted:

That's not the set of choices we have. If there are millions dying, we will not have any sort of functional health care system and we won't have things "back to normal" at all.

Good point, we can call it the "new normal" though! Mass death and hospitals as warzones. Not the future we wanted, but the future we deserve!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Mummy Xzibit posted:

hows the power grid out in CA these days?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

using a symmetrical model for something like disease is always idiotic. the initial infection rates are exponential, but the recovery rate should be fairly linear.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

wow, it's almost like the IHME model is trying to fit a conclusion instead of fit the data. Who could have seen that coming?!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

This is the potentially saving grace. As soon as people started recognizing this was actually serious and was going to hit the US, things like restaurant reservations started falling off a cliff. It took until all the sports leagues were like "uh gently caress we're done indefinitely" to really convey the severity, but generally speaking people don't actually want to die!

We'll see how powerful the conservative media death/capital cultists are, I guess. 45% of people with a Fox News diet think COVID deaths are being overhyped and overcounted. If conservative media and the President keep pressing that this is all a hoax, compliance will drop. Hopefully enough people are still outside that bubble that we don't commit mass social suicide.

But I say this in 2020 so lol at me.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

planck curve of.....disease radiation????

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Zyme posted:

Good point, we can call it the "new normal" though! Mass death and hospitals as warzones. Not the future we wanted, but the future we deserve!

But it's not like we get a functional economy out of that. We'd probably be no better and maybe even way worse off economically.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1250478638706950147

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Vince "Camacho Cortez Mountain Dew" McMahon

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

lmao fuckin rookie math mistake

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

brugroffil posted:

seems like the IMHE model is dumb garbage for idiots

Deaths are curve fit against a symmetric function as an assumption lol

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1250304077474304001
https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1250304079747641344

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

NofrikinfuN posted:

hows the power grid out in CA these days?

Doing okay. All IBEW 1245 electricians (PG&E's workforce) are getting 10% hourly premium bonus and double OT for every hour over 8 on a day.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/GlobalsNewsroom/status/1250135361101185024?s=20

About a dozen in the Netherlands so far

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah that sigmoidal curve is where a lot of people get hurt when they're not careful

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how is the curve? how many bodies to nurgle?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

The Imperial College models for Europe are way better than this loving garbage from the IHME. I've been looking at them to see what scenarios for the US may end up like:

https://imperialcollegelondon.github.io/covid19estimates/#/

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

god you whiners, just doctor the numbers to fit the model

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

ban handshakes forever IMO, they're nothing but a masculinity check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Mainly because all the people who normally would be going to the hospital are just dying at home from rampant diabetes or strokes. I am technically not in a hot zone yet but have already gone on two welfare checks that resulted in finding dead bodies